Thread: Weight plates under ankles for squats (and deads???)

Weight plates under ankles for squats (and deads???)

I was wondering if any of you guys do this.
    According to my understanding elevating your heels will allow for a greater rom with a flat back (back gets curled up because ankles reach end of rom and you have to keep the bar above the center of gravity... ;o?) and that's always good, right? I find myself curling up just a little bit before parallel and figured anyone could use the extra rom so why not?
    Any reason why one SHOULDN'T do this if his ankles aren't flexible enough to get his toes to touch his friggin shins? Does the same apply for deadlifts as well?
    Also can you guys recommend some ankle flexibility exercises because I would really like to be able to go ass to grass without curling my back... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Weight: 155lbs
    Height: 5'9
    Bodyfat: ~12%
    Max squat: ?
    Max deadlift: 225x5
    Max bench: 115x5

I can't remember where I read it (I think one of the Ian King Q&A's at T-mag) but it is a pretty common thing to do when working with someone with poor flexibility...BUT it was commented that, doing that is effectivly a bandaid vs a solution. The best solution was using light weight and getting the very best ROM that (you) can...which was the best method to increase flexibility.
    Looking for some fitness product reviews? Check out http://www.otpproductreview.com/

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

You're right. It was Ian King.

He said that it's okay to use them, but only until you no longer need them. You should be trying to improve your flexibility and technique so that they aren't necessary.

Here's the article...

Five Ways to Go Deeper: How to Get "Ass to Grass" when Squatting

CAchief

good artile. Thanks for the post. It looks like we live pretty close to each other Lost Dog. Im from San Luis.

BillyB

For what it's worth, Waterbury has also stated that placing plates under your heels while doing barbell back squats "induces more vastus medialis activation."

That quote is taken from a thread of his discussing the Quattro Dynamo routine - in which he prescribes elevated heel squats.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459216

i'm not a sports medicine guru, but wouldn't overdeveloped vmo's compared to vl's actually cause injuries?
    Fool give wife grand piano,wise man give wife upright organ.

Whoa lost dog that article was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!! however it doesn't explain how to increase ankle flexibility ;[
    The article refers refers to the type of people whos rom is limited by their ankles but offers no solution to that specific problem other than a shin massage I didn't quite understand
    Weight: 155lbs
    Height: 5'9
    Bodyfat: ~12%
    Max squat: ?
    Max deadlift: 225x5
    Max bench: 115x5

Originally posted by von_Hayes:
    i'm not a sports medicine guru, but wouldn't overdeveloped vmo's compared to vl's actually cause injuries?
    Yes...unless your VMO's are underdeveloped in the first place, which isn't normally the case, but certainly can be.

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

Here's something...

Ankle Flexibility in Athletics