Can I use boxing inplace of traditional HIIT?

I've been doing some boxing drills in place of HIIT these days because I enjoy boxing, I think it might be a good HIIT replacement*, and I would like to be able to use my fist in a deadly manor if needed.

A typical boxing workout for me would look like this.

2, 3 minute, rounds of Shadow Boxing.
    3, 3 minute, rounds of speed-bag.
    3, 3 minute, rounds of heavy bag.
    3, 3 minute, rounds of skip rope.
    2, 3 minute, rounds working with punching pads.

So my question is if I am looking to replace HIIT with boxing what would be the best way to go about doing it, meaning, should I eat for the workout and eat some carbohydrates, or should I stick with the P + F combinations in an attempt to burn fat instead of the carbohydrates as fuel?

I also read that boxing is more anaerobic then aerobic.
    [font=Times New Roman:13zmkvmu]"When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him. By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs. So this is what it's like to be an adult? If he only knew now what he knew then."
    [/font:13zmkvmu]

CtA318- I think that your boxing routine would be a fine form of HIIT. If you keep your intensity high for the entire round, you should get a great workout. Actually, it might be hard to finish all of those rounds at near 100% intensity.

My initial thought is that 3 minute rounds may be a little too long for maximum intensity, even though 3 min. rounds are standard in boxing. Someone else may be able to advise on that better than me.

Thanks for the help jruck37, it is hard to keep 100% intensity and if I did I would be dead by the end of the workout. I am trying to build that up.

So should I just stick with eating protein fat for the meals before and after the workout or should I get some carbohydrates in me?
    [font=Times New Roman:13zmkvmu]"When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him. By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs. So this is what it's like to be an adult? If he only knew now what he knew then."

I guess 100% intensity would be impossible for a long duration. I should have been more specific when I said "near 100%". More specifically, HIIT should be at about 90-95% intensity- which is a little hard to quantify.

Protein fat?? Do you mean protein?

I think that most folks on this forum would agree that adequate pre and post workout nutrition would come in the form of protein + carbs.

For example, I use 2 scoops of orange gatorade powder with a scoop of vanilla whey protein mixed in water after every workout.

Ctrain

I was training with boxers this past fall before I started bulking. It is a great workout but it may be counterproductive to what you are trying to do with S2B. Your shoulders will most likely be the most affected part of your physique. All the punching and even the jumping requires shoulder work that is not necessarily anaerobically based. It is my understanding that cortisol is released after sustained bouts of endurance muscle activity to decrease the size of slow twitch fibers. Basically your bench press and should press probably won't progress if you do indeed substitute.

Ok thanks Ctrain and jruck37 again. What I ment by protein fat was a meal combinding protein and fat. It is a princeiple from the Massive Eating articles written by Dr. John Berardi.

So if I drink pre during and post workout shakes it would reduce the amount of cortisol being released but it would also have me working on carbohydrates rather then my fat stores correct? So basicly I can do this boxing workout but if I would like to burn fat my bench press and shoulder press will suffer. If I want to prevent that then I would have to drink shakes containing nutrition for the workout meaning I would burn carbs instead of my fat stores. Is this correct?

Ctrain

To somewhat retool the theme of my last post, it is important not to try to make significant boxing progessions during your S2B program. Boxing is a great workout but more so when an individual is trying to lose fat or just wants cardio. You want neither of those. I have tried boxing workouts while bulking before and much prefer HIIT. When you are bulking you are not in peak cardio shape and boxing becomes much harder than HIIT does. To elaborate on that jump roping is harder and so is shadow boxing and mits. When you body bulks it does not perform endurance activities well even if the said activity is only two to three minutes. To answer your question from my understanding, eating a lot with a few boxing workouts won't be THAT detrimental. In my opinion it is more of an issue that boxing is not as effective as HIIT during the bulking period for burning strictly fat while allowing muscle to be built.

IMO it's wouldn't really be HIIT anymore if you're going for that period of time...not entirely sure if the speedbag would fit either, (me not being a boxer, assuming) that it really wouldn't involve a whole lot of lower movement\force.

In order to really cross over...drop it down to 1-2 set(s) of 30-45sec intervals. 6 mini rounds of heavy bag, rope, and pads.

= 9\18min @ 90% intensity

that vs 39min @ ?% intensity
    Looking for some fitness product reviews? Check out http://www.otpproductreview.com/

Originally posted by gobbla:
    IMO it's wouldn't really be HIIT anymore if you're going for that period of time...not entirely sure if the speedbag would fit either, (me not being a boxer, assuming) that it really wouldn't involve a whole lot of lower movement\force.

In order to really cross over...drop it down to 1-2 set(s) of 30-45sec intervals. 6 mini rounds of heavy bag, rope, and pads.

= 9\18min @ 90% intensity

that vs 39min @ ?% intensity
    I agree- that's what I was alluding to in my previous responses, but I wasn't sure how to break it down. If he was truly going for near maximum intensity, he would probably burn out way before he could finish all of those sets.

yes
    Renegade HR: Recruit great people. Inspire them to do amazing things. | http://renegadehr.nethttp://PhotoFrogDVD.com

Go to www.warriorforce.com and www.rossboxing.com

He pretty much has it all covered - especially the HIIT aspect.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. -- Sidney J. Harris

Thanks guys. Ive been reading articles at rossboxing.com and stuff. I'll take all the information you guys have given me and put it to good use. I'll vary it up and use quick intervals at times and I do traditional 3min rounds but I will also drink some workout nutrition. At this point I dont really need to lose fat but it would have been a plus.