Thread: Bulking

castufari

Bulking

I've been doing a modified MH plan for several months (homegrown muscle). My gains have been ok, I've doubled the weight I could barbell press, doubled my pulldowns/seated rows, tripled my leg press. The workout is good for me since my schedule changes too much.

Anyway I'm at the point were I'd like to add some bulk to my arms/legs. Not huge but just a few more inches. I feel stronger, I know I'm stronger, I want to look it. For my legs, I've been leg pressing close to 700# and they look no different. If I'm using my legs to do something then you can see somewhat of a difference but there is no bulk. I don't want massive, just a bit more thickness.

Diet wise my diet sucks. I try to eat ok but I'm never in the same town for more than a day so I have to eat when/where I can. I usually opt for a deli so I can get some protein and veggies. Water isn't a problem.

Thanks.

Bulking

Looking for some fitness product reviews? Check out http://www.otpproductreview.com/

castufari

Bulking

Thanks, I'll read and reread. I'm not an ectomorph...I'm about 6' and 195#.

Bulking

*summary*

#1. get your diet in order.

#2. focus on the big 6 (dip, bench, row, pullup, dead, squat).

If you don't eat right your workout is largely just something your doing to entertain yourself for 30-60min a few days a week.

You'll get bigger gains with bigger lifts. You'll get bigger gains with impeccible form.
    Looking for some fitness product reviews? Check out http://www.otpproductreview.com/

castufari

Bulking

I'm going to work on my form, esp for bench work. I usually use dumbells since the normal bench has a line (WTF causes people to sit on benches and chat? GO OUTSIDE!).

Right now I can do 3 sets of 12 reps at 50 pounds (each arm). They're not totally smooth towards the end but I'm not in danger of taking anyone out nor do I drop them when I'm done. I tried 65#, that was too much and I was worried about dropping them. Should I try 60# and do maybe 8 reps for 3 sets? Or until failure?

MarkMero

Bulking

These guys have already posted a lot of great advice. ABBH by Chad Waterbury is a superb month long workout programme for adding size: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459341

Sort the diet out, get plenty of rest & give this a go for a month - what do you have to lose! If you like the results then try a couple of his other hypertrophy routines when you've completed it.

camau71

Bulking

Its been said a number of times before, but bears repeating, training will take you so far, but what you put in your mouth is what your body has to work with to create itself. protein, carb, fat balance in concert with correct caloric intake properly spaced combined with lots of water will take you where you want to go. Certainly genetics play a role, but creating significant change takes time.

Some here may disagree and I would like to hear their side, but my experience has shown me that natural gains (no supplementation other than vitamins, minerals, supplemntal protein) in lean mass average about 2 lbs per year after year one.

camau71

Bulking

Its been said a number of times before, but bears repeating, training will take you so far, but what you put in your mouth is what your body has to work with to create itself. protein, carb, fat balance in concert with correct caloric intake properly spaced combined with lots of water will take you where you want to go. Certainly genetics play a role, but creating significant change takes time.

Some here may disagree and I would like to hear their side, but my experience has shown me that natural gains (no supplementation other than vitamins, minerals, supplemntal protein) in lean mass average about 2 lbs per year after year one.