Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Big 5 Workout Questions

  1. #1
    JimBo123
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    I just have a couple questions on the Big 5 workout that maybe someone can answer before i start doing it.
    The Big 5 workout:
    Pull ups, Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Dips.

    1) How many times a week should these be done?

    2) Are all these exercises to be done at the same time on the same day????

    3) Are push-ups a good substitute for bench press? (again im not going for the bulk look and i think push ups will guarantee that i wont be bulk since they are generally high reps)

    4) For squats, does 3-5 sets of 12-15 reps sound good? Someone replied on another thread and suggested this amount for squats, i think if i diddnt want to bulk up.

    5) How many reps and sets for dead lifts? ^ can i do same as above?

    I got these questions from a friend named DigitalRob7, who posted in the New Training Routine, yay or nay thing but didnt get any responses so i posted it here and added one more question.

  2. #2
    Morris
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    You would actually be surprised about how effective pushups can build your chest. I know a guy that had a shoulder problem or something and pretty much all he did was pushups, high reps and whatnot, and his cheast grew a lot in size, but when he started to work out again he found that it was of a built up endurance muscle.

    From my experience but three to five sets of 12-15 squats would SUCK. I had one set of 15 today and it was horrible.

  3. #3
    JimBo123
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    but when he started to work out again he found that it was of a built up endurance muscle.

    what do you mean by built up endurance muscle?

    From my experience but three to five sets of 12-15 squats would SUCK. I had one set of 15 today and it was horrible

    Why?


    And can anyone answer my remaining questions? 1,2 5 and maybe 4?

  4. #4
    TA Baracus
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    For the first week, I'd probably just do one set of each exercise, just to get your body used to it. Then in the second week, do two sets and then 2-3 sets in all of the following weeks, with progressivly heavier weights. Make sure to go slowly with each one to ensure proper form. Don't try to go overkill with your first workout....just use enough weight to comfortably finish 10-12 reps with good form.

  5. #5
    JimBo123
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Ok thanks, but how many times a week should i do it and should all 5 exercises be done in each session?

  6. #6
    JimBo123
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Originally posted by JimBo123:
    Ok thanks, but how many times a week should i do it and should all 5 exercises be done in each session?
    anyone???

  7. #7

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Hi there, im a couple of weeks into the big five at the moment (as per JP's sound advice), so i can share a bit of my very limited experience as I go along.

    I started doing 2 sets of 10 with the big 5 and after the first week i felt very charged and now easily complete 3 sets of 10. Yesterday I up'd my squat weight as well. I do use the gravitron for my chins and dips, but I keep the assisted weight to the point where i can barley complete the sets( my goal as 1 set of 10 unassisted before the years over). At the moment im reading everything and anything i can on these 5 exercises to learn good form and proper nutrition.

    I weight train 3 times per week as recommended. Monday wednesday and friday, I am looking at some fatburning exercises on tuesdays and thursdays now.

    And thats where I am so far. Ive been working out for several weeks now but only switched to the '5' a couple of weeks ago, I am noticing some minor positive changes, (awsome energy levels) but my set backs surround my nutrition at the moment.

    I hope any of the above was helpful in any way.
    [font=Franklin Gothic Medium:36kmsly0]- This space is for rent-[/font:36kmsly0]

  8. #8

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Originally posted by David.W:
    Hi there, im a couple of weeks into the big five at the moment (as per JP's sound advice), so i can share a bit of my very limited experience as I go along.

    I started doing 2 sets of 10 with the big 5 and after the first week i felt very charged and now easily complete 3 sets of 10. Yesterday I up'd my squat weight as well. I do use the gravitron for my chins and dips, but I keep the assisted weight to the point where i can barley complete the sets( my goal as 1 set of 10 unassisted before the years over). At the moment im reading everything and anything i can on these 5 exercises to learn good form and proper nutrition.

    I weight train 3 times per week as recommended. Monday wednesday and friday, I am looking at some fatburning exercises on tuesdays and thursdays now.

    And thats where I am so far. Ive been working out for several weeks now but only switched to the '5' a couple of weeks ago, I am noticing some minor positive changes, (awsome energy levels) but my set backs surround my nutrition at the moment.

    I hope any of the above was helpful in any way.
    This is off topic, another from Winnipeg, cool.

  9. #9
    JimBo123
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    david do you do all 5 exercises on the same day? or do you do a 3 day split?

  10. #10

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    First i stretch out.
    I start with squats, then hit the bench press. From there I do deadlifts, dips and end my routine with the dreaded chinups (standard shoulder width-palms-in grip)

    The guys here suggested I start at 2 sets, I do 10 reps. 2 (and a half) weeks in, Im now doing 3 sets and have increased my squat weight. I rest about 30 seconds between each set, and about 2-3 minutes between exercises.

    In other words, all in one day...lol! I repeat this identical routine Monday, wednesday and Friday and usually follow-up with 30 minutes tredmill or some kinda cardio. But im following the Alwyn cardio/aerobic discussions at the moment and may change this approach. As for the big 5, i really am enjoying this, i feel awsome!
    [font=Franklin Gothic Medium:36kmsly0]- This space is for rent-[/font:36kmsly0]

  11. #11
    JimBo123
    Guest

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    ok thanks, thats waht i needed to know. Does it really matter in waht order the exercises are done?

  12. #12

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Great question! But im a novice, so what ive been doing is my routine in order of convenient machine use

    I go squat/ cause i find it the hardest, then bench press/cause its right next to the squat machine, then deads/ cause i use the bench bar i just pressed, then i run up stairs and finish with chins and dips/ cause there offered on the same apperatus...

    Im only worried about saftey and good form this month though.
    [font=Franklin Gothic Medium:36kmsly0]- This space is for rent-[/font:36kmsly0]

  13. #13

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Originally posted by David.W:
    Great question! But im a novice, so what ive been doing is my routine in order of convenient machine use

    I go squat/ cause i find it the hardest, then bench press/cause its right next to the squat machine, then deads/ cause i use the bench bar i just pressed, then i run up stairs and finish with chins and dips/ cause there offered on the same apperatus...

    Im only worried about saftey and good form this month though.
    Squat and Machine should never be used in the same sentence. Please tell me you are not using the Smith Machine! The Big 5 must be done without machines or you lose the affect somewhat...


    Please help support my son...
    http://www.walkamerica.org/kehaya


    "We MUST overload to progress, period. All the internet gimmicks and miracle programs in the world aside....." DOS, Dec 2006

  14. #14

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Yep, im using the machine with the rails on each side to prevent me falling forward or backward and looking like a dick

    I have no spotter...ever. Is it still safe to squat alone just using bar and courage?
    [font=Franklin Gothic Medium:36kmsly0]- This space is for rent-[/font:36kmsly0]

  15. #15

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Do Box Squats.....Then yes, you can squat alone.

  16. #16

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Originally posted by David.W:
    Yep, im using the machine with the rails on each side to prevent me falling forward or backward and looking like a dick

    I have no spotter...ever. Is it still safe to squat alone just using bar and courage?
    Yes, you can squat alone provided you have a rack, power cage, or some type of way to rerack the weight.

    I can not stress this enough...Stop using the smith. You want to do the balance work with your muscles, not the machine balancing it for you. Smith's tend to build power in a fixed plane of motion. You will be weaker if you smith squat and they go free weight as opposed to going only free weight. I made this mistake and it took months to correct my form and get back on track.


    Please help support my son...
    http://www.walkamerica.org/kehaya


    "We MUST overload to progress, period. All the internet gimmicks and miracle programs in the world aside....." DOS, Dec 2006

  17. #17

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    No problem, i see the benefits, i'll use the free weight in my next session. I just increased my squat weight, what ill do is drop it down to the weight i started at, and practice my from.

    Good lookin'out!
    Thanks,
    David.
    [font=Franklin Gothic Medium:36kmsly0]- This space is for rent-[/font:36kmsly0]

  18. #18

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Originally posted by David.W:
    No problem, i see the benefits, i'll use the free weight in my next session. I just increased my squat weight, what ill do is drop it down to the weight i started at, and practice my from.

    Good lookin'out!
    Thanks,
    David.
    Squating is one of those things in life that you have to check you ego at the door to improve it. You will be surprised and how fast that squat will improve without the smith. You should also see better muscle growth and other gym members will know your cool

    Good Luck and let us know how that works out for you...


    Please help support my son...
    http://www.walkamerica.org/kehaya


    "We MUST overload to progress, period. All the internet gimmicks and miracle programs in the world aside....." DOS, Dec 2006

  19. #19

    Big 5 Workout Questions

    Originally posted by Newlife:
    Yes, you can squat alone provided you have a rack, power cage, or some type of way to rerack the weight.

    I can not stress this enough...Stop using the smith. You want to do the balance work with your muscles, not the machine balancing it for you. Smith's tend to build power in a fixed plane of motion. You will be weaker if you smith squat and they go free weight as opposed to going only free weight. I made this mistake and it took months to correct my form and get back on track.
    i very much agree w/ u on this. I can Bench Press 200 lbs on a machine, but can only Bench Press 115 lbs w/ a barbell so far. Well, i think i can go more, but i'm worried that i might not be able to balance the barbell, & it'll fall down crushing me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •