Thread: Kind of confused about HIIT

Hybrid View

JDrake301

Kind of confused about HIIT

I've heard a lot about HIIT but never really found out what it is. Does anyone have any workouts involving it. Or even a websitE???

- JIM

Ok, say if you were going to run for 10 minutes on a treadmill.

Go at 4.0 mph for 1 minute
    go at 7 mph for 30 seconds
    go 4 mph for 1 minute
    go 7 mph for 30 seconds
    go 4 mph for 1 minute
    go 7 mph for 30 secs
    go 4 mph for 1 min
    go 7 mph for 30 secs
    go 4 mph for 1 min
    go 7 mph for 30 secs
    go 4 mph for 1 min
    go 7 mph for 30 secs
    go 4 mph for 1 min

That's 10

That should be pretty self explanatory, post any other questions you may have.
    "there was a sex scandal involving two long time members who disappeared after their accounts had to be banned when it was discovered that they were both married to the same person and were also doing each other"

[font=Impact:3i9srj2w]It was Becka, Mesha, and TS in the forum with the lead pipe.
    [/font:3i9srj2w]

Errm, if 7mph is High Intensity for you that is...

Best bet is just to google it and check a few articles. Its not so much a training program as it is a type of training program, the actual methods differ between them. The concept is to warm up and then do a short amount of High Intensity effort, followed by a recovery effort and then repeat a number of times.

So you might do 3-5 mins warmup and then sprint for 30 seconds and then walk/jog for 60-90 seconds and then sprint again and so on. Do as many as you can (may well only be 4 or 5 first time) and over time try to do more until you get up to doing it for about 20 minutes. Actual sprint/rest periods can differ from programs and how you do them (for instance inside on a treadmill it takes time to windup and slowdown the speed, so 15 second sprints would be a waste as you'd spend all that time speeding up and slowing down, but if you're outside running on a track then 60 seconds could be too long to maintain a high intensity effort).
    Ben

It was an example. I couldn't think of what my normal setting on a treadmill is. It's just a set of two random numbers. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

(Not being a jerk, but 4 and 7 were the first two #s that popped in my head)
    "there was a sex scandal involving two long time members who disappeared after their accounts had to be banned when it was discovered that they were both married to the same person and were also doing each other"

[font=Impact:3i9srj2w]It was Becka, Mesha, and TS in the forum with the lead pipe.

Yeah, but random numbers dont help. Fast and slow help, but its very individual what those numbers are. Jim could spend a month doing 4/7 and wondering why HIIT is so easy or wonder if he might as well give up if he cant match those numbers.
    Ben

OK, I'm sorry Jim, find numbers to replace the ones I gave you, but the framework is still there (I.E. 1 min slow, 30 sec fast). Ideally the lower number should be a jog and the higher should be almost a sprint, so you spend the next minute of the jog recovering from the sprint so you can do it again.

I never meant for you to use the numbers, just for them to provide a framework for the workout.

JDrake301

Ok Ok sounds good, thanks for the input guys.