Question for Moderators

What do you think about adding a section for the older lifter? Over at T-nation they have the Over 35 forum. I believe that a significant portion of the forum members here are 35 or older. Even though alot of training is common for everyone, there are problems unique to the older lifter. Anyone over 35 have an opinion on this?

Question for Moderators

There is a lot to be said for everyone sharing, ragardless of age. But I would certainly not be opposed to it, and I imagine that I would post there often (as a soon-to-be 45 yr old).

Cripes. Over 35 is considered "older?" That makes me approaching ancient. Mahler is supposed to be dead, I suppose. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    There are no shortcuts.

www.duluthmartialarts.com

FB: Chris Correia

Blog: www.christophercorreia.com

Question for Moderators

Why can't you post things that may be directed to people over 35 in this forum? Just make mention of it somewhere in the thread title and it won't get skipped over.
    And major action will certainly make you feel a bit uncomfortable, which is absolutely fine. You've gotta get excited about feeling uncomfortable, you've gotta love feeling slightly uncomfortable, because you know that you're stepping outside the boundaries that you used to create.
    Zach Even-Esh

I've made some huge mistakes, but they were necessary, because without them I wouldn't have learned anything.
    -Dave Tate

Question for Moderators

Chris-I guess I should have said mature lifter.

Mathew-You could make the same argument against seperating the forum at all. However, in a forum that covers as much fitness ground as this forum, I think it helps by organizing the posts. I think that the new section would be worthwhile.

Question for Moderators

You should have said "Wiser Lifter".
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. -- Sidney J. Harris

Question for Moderators

I think this forum has enough division in it as is.
    "The strongest steel goes through the hottest fires."-Anonymous
    "When you begin to believe nothing is heavy, all weights become light." -Rossbow
    "Just remember, somewhere there is a little Chinese girl warming up with your max."-Jim Convroy
    "It's a round hole, dammit. Everyone fits."--Anonymous

Head Olympic Lifting Coach at Supreme Sports

Question for Moderators

I agree it has alot. If a section is useful, than it shouldn't matter how many there are. How long does it take to scroll through a list of sections, anyway? Actually a few of them could be combined, for example Healthy Recipes and the Diet, Nutrition and Supplement sections.

Question for Moderators

I don't think Mahler considers himself an "older lifter". I think he considers himself an "older man who lifts". Check out his numbers sometime.

(Sorry to stray from your point, nanook.)

Question for Moderators

Originally posted by nanook:
    What do you think about adding a section for the older lifter?
    When I was a MH regular, I used to suggest that every once in a while and it never happened. Then, after I moved on to BII, I later went back to MH and found that they had added something along those lines. When I read it, I was mostly disgusted. Maybe it was the same underlying problem that the rest of MH had but about all I saw was guys complaining about their wives not giving them enough sex. I remember one guy even talking about his cheating... really classy!

I haven't been back to look at it in quite some time but it didn't really address the interest that I had or the one you are proposing. I think it would have a better chance over here based on how well this site has controlled the crap but I don't know if the older guys would want to separate themselves out. I'm a month from 51 and my PR dead is 315 and admittedly weak squat is over 225 but I think I'm in the ballpark with many people here and most of my interests are similar to the younger guys... it just takes me longer to recover, I can't progress as fast and I ache most of the time. Those are just the facts of getting older but, other than those, I don't know what else would be different, in terms of lifting.

I'm not opposed to the idea but I don't know how much it would actually be used. Probably the most important motivator for older guys, me especially , is their own denial of getting older so we don't really want to be considered "different" than the young pups. That's my $.02 worth anyway as one of the older guys.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.Sing your death song Chief Tecumseh

Question for Moderators

Like I said, I would check it out and post there, but in our martial arts, everyone trains together. I thrive on trying to make sure I can stay on top of my younger students. So, this is OK like it is, too.

BTW, it would have to be called, "Executive Fitness".
    There are no shortcuts.

www.duluthmartialarts.com

FB: Chris Correia

Blog: www.christophercorreia.com

Question for Moderators

I think it's a good thought, but bottom line is more division equals more threads being skipped over. Maybe there will be a question posted that a younger person might have a good answer to, but that younger person will probably not venture into the 'executive fitness' forum. Plus some of the veterans here might spend the majority of their time in that forum instead of the more general training forum, which takes away from anyone in this forum.
    And major action will certainly make you feel a bit uncomfortable, which is absolutely fine. You've gotta get excited about feeling uncomfortable, you've gotta love feeling slightly uncomfortable, because you know that you're stepping outside the boundaries that you used to create.
    Zach Even-Esh

I've made some huge mistakes, but they were necessary, because without them I wouldn't have learned anything.
    -Dave Tate

Buk

Question for Moderators

Maybe we should have a place where we can get our posts reviewed to make sure that we don't do anything that isn't nice or that hurt anyone's sensitive feelings before they get posted to the main forums. Sometime the thought that my real intention or perhaps a bit of sarcasism or teasing won't be received the way it was intended over the internet by people I don't really know keeps me from posting as often as I hit the reply button.

Question for Moderators

Originally posted by Buk:
    Maybe we should have a place where we can get our posts reviewed to make sure that we don't do anything that isn't nice or that hurt anyone's sensitive feelings before they get posted to the main forums. Sometime the thought that my real intention or perhaps a bit of sarcasism or teasing won't be received the way it was intended over the internet by people I don't really know keeps me from posting as often as I hit the reply button.
    Please tell me this is a joke! People shouldn't so sensitive.

"there was a sex scandal involving two long time members who disappeared after their accounts had to be banned when it was discovered that they were both married to the same person and were also doing each other"

[font=Impact:3i9srj2w]It was Becka, Mesha, and TS in the forum with the lead pipe.
    [/font:3i9srj2w]

Question for Moderators

Fuck you man. That was a legitimate thread.
    "The strongest steel goes through the hottest fires."-Anonymous
    "When you begin to believe nothing is heavy, all weights become light." -Rossbow
    "Just remember, somewhere there is a little Chinese girl warming up with your max."-Jim Convroy
    "It's a round hole, dammit. Everyone fits."--Anonymous

Head Olympic Lifting Coach at Supreme Sports

CAchief

Question for Moderators

lol...it was

Question for Moderators

I'm laughing my ass off! I so wish I could have been there this weekend and am completly jelous of what I missed out on. Also, I'm glad everyone had fun, cause why would you want to go if they didn't?

P.S. - Lighten up and have some fun with 'em - quit being so damned sensitive!

Question for Moderators

back to the topic

The over 35 group. I think that that would result in more missed/overlooked/skipped threads. There are a lot of over 35's with some serious knowledge and some young 'uns too. I would hate to see that split up.

I do not think that there is enogh trafiic to justify a split in the training forum. Perhaps we could do a different type of split. Real posts and bumping my post count posts.

Peter

Question for Moderators

BUMP

Just so you guys know I was kidding about post count bumps (ok Nick)

Peter