Doug

Injuries and a large waist

I have been lifting since High school, but a few years ago I was injured in an auto accident messing up both of my knees, and i blew out two discs in my back. I am 48 6' 220 on a med/large frame. I am trying to strenghten my core muscles without reinjuring myself. I am currently in a weight loss program with Johns Hopkins and I've lost 20 lbs, but my girth is not going down as fast as I would like. I've had all of the tests and based on the resting metabolic rate, my calorie intake is between 1800-2000 calories a day. I do weights 3 times per week, and cardio three times per week, then I vary my workouts every couple of weeks. ANy help would be greatly appreciated

Without actually seeing the intensity level with which you are training it is hard to say. It appears that you are doing everything right from what you have said. Perhaps you are just getting in too big a hurry. Be patient... It took a little longer than a month or two to get out of shape.

How limited are you by your injuries? Can you train your legs pretty well by now? Is your back still giving you problems?
    www.youtube.com/jpfitness <--- My channel

Like us on Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/jpfitnessforums

massive member

yea doug, the worst thing in trying to improve your body is to be impatient. some ppl can make dramatic changes to their bodies in days and weeks. the rest of us takes months and years.

by the way, great name!

(my name is doug, also) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Doug

JP:I just had on Halloween sugery 14 on l knee and 4 on the right one, but I have been doing leg presses with about 300 lbs, 3 sets of 10, my biggest problem is my lower back, it bothers me the most. I'm afraid and very cautious with it and am tentative in dong deadlifts and good mornings. Is there anything that I could do that would strengthen my back. I have also avoided having the surgery on it. thanks so far for your help.

Doug

JP
    Last week I saw the Doctor at Hopkins and they cut out basically all of my carbs, and put me on a low fat protien diet consisting of 1200-1300 calories a day. I can have a small meal in the morning, a power bar for an am snack, lunch, another snack in the afternoon, dinner and a snack after I work out. So far I've lost 5.5 pound and I will keep you posted to see if this works. I still am lifting 3 days a week and doing cardio for three days, but since I've been on this diet I seem to get fatigued quicker, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Doug