Thread: ? for JP (&others). Need help setting up a shoulder friendly workout.

Hybrid View

? for JP (&others). Need help setting up a shoulder friendly workout.

JP,
    I have read that you have gone through 4 shoulder surgeries, and I hope to tap into your experience...Here is my background: I have a shoulder impingment in my right shoulder, and I have seen a ortho. I am doing external rotator rehab exercises and chest stretches. I avoid bench presses and dips because they seem to irritate my shoulder...I love basic programs like your big 5, but I obviously can't do all of those exercises. What type of exercises did you do when you were recovering from your shoulder surgeries? Any workout suggestions? Thanks in advance!

fitone

Here's what I reccomend. Listen to you Phisical therapists advise. And work-out your back muscles and rear delts via reverse flies, any kind of rowing etc. And Ice that shoulder after the work-out. Eventually, try using the Chest Press, Pushups off a bar or bench etc then work your way to a full push off the ground. Stick with the rehab till its over though and then start strengthing the muscles around the shoulder girdle.

Thanks Silas... I forgot to mention that I am also taking anti inflammatories...I am focusing on rows, rear delts, DB squats (light weight) and thankfully I can do them without any problem. I also do the cuban press and lightweight DB external rotator lying side raises (elbow at 90 degrees)...Is it ok to do bicep/tricep work? I read somewhere that bicep work can flare up the shoulder? Any other exercises that I should be doing to assist with the recovery?

fitone

Bicep and tricep work should be fine as long as your not doing anything over the head like over the head dumbbell tricep extension. Dips of any kind should be aviod. Although you can do stuff like single dumbbell/cable kickbacks, and stuff like that w/ triceps skull crushers are fine also. Bicep you're pretty much okay with any curling. Check with you Physical Therapist first though. To be on the safe side. Also, if you start to fell any discomfort or pain on a new exercise stop immidietly and get it checked out.

hope this helps

thanks.