Thread: Dos' Softball workout

Dos' Softball workout

Dos, some questions about your softball workout (seen here: http://www.coc.cc.ca.us/departments/pe/strength/softball_sample_workouts.htm ).

When you do stair drills, are they just doing sprints on stadium stairs? What do you mean by ladder? Is that the sprint drills when you sprint - say - 50 yards, and then walk back and sprint 60, then 70, and so on? (that's what ladders used to mean when I was in track).

What are "Jobes"?

Is lateral plyo another name for side jumps, or do you have something else in mind?

Do you have a suggestion if one does NOT have a Jammer? I see that a lot in your workouts, and I don't have one (yet).
    www.youtube.com/jpfitness <--- My channel

Like us on Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/jpfitnessforums

Dos' Softball workout

First let me apologize J.P.....those sample softball workouts are very old! let me answer your questions below and then I will give you a sample workout that we might use these days!

When you do stair drills, are they just doing sprints on stadium stairs? What do you mean by ladder? Is that the sprint drills when you sprint - say - 50 yards, and then walk back and sprint 60, then 70, and so on? (that's what ladders used to mean when I was in track).
    JP, the stair drills are jumps, hops, and footwork drills on an indoor stairway that we have next to our weightroom. We do lots of footwork patterns that you might see people doing on an agility ladder etc. BTW, this is what I am talking about when I write "ladder"...an agility ladder.

What are "Jobes"?
    A sequence of rotator cuf movements that i adopted from a famous ortho clinic here in SOCAL (Kerlan and Jobe). I actually use a sequence of 6 movements now that was tweaked from the "Indiana University Swim Program" (The swimmer six) that i now call our "shoulder 6". The athletes come in and immediately do these in the first 5 min. of the session and then we get going onto ladder work, dots etc.

Is lateral plyo another name for side jumps, or do you have something else in mind?
    Basically any lateral plyo movements...cpuld be lateral depth jumps, ice skaters, lateral tuck jumps etc.

Do you have a suggestion if one does NOT have a Jammer? I see that a lot in your workouts, and I don't have one (yet).
    I don't have one anymore! We had two that were made for us by a local equipment guy and they took a dump. I would like to get at least 3 though in the future...I really liked the angle of the movement. We do lots of push presses/jerks along with DB pressing movements say on a stability ball etc. or a bench. We also do lots of MB explosives on our knees trying to drive the hips forward as we chest pass the ball or even overhead throw the ball (like a slingshot).
    here is a sample week during our season (BTW, we just won a conference championship and are awaiting state playoff seeding...back-to-back champs YEAH!)

Monday-
    Quick ladder warm-up...
    -C+J 3-2-2-2 complex with MB scoops x 5
    -B.Squat 5-4-3 complex with box jumps x 5
    -Push Press 3 x 4
    -Glute-ham raise 3 x 8
    -Group MB core work (5 min)

Wednesday-
    -Quick stair warm-up or dots...
    -Snatch pulls 3-2-2-2 complex with DB clean box jump x 5
    -3 way lunges 3 x 3 complex with single leg plyo drill x 5
    -GM's 3 x 8
    -Modified pull-ups 4 x 8-10 (2 sets wide, 2 sets narrow)
    -Group core (5 min)

**I will mix-up and vary the pull-ups and pressing movements (sometimes regular chin-up / pul-ups, sometimes bench press-type movements etc.)

We are in and out of the weightroom in about 40-45 min. [img]smile.gif[/img] JP, email me if you have anymore questions! Take care!
    Robert dos Remedios, MA, CSCS,
    HCC (Hartman-Cosgrove Certified)
    Director of Spood, Strength & Conditioning
    College of the Crayons, CA
    http://www.canyons.edu/departments/pe/strength

[align=center:136j6klz][font=Bradley Hand ITC:136j6klz]"NO CHAMPION HAS EVER ACHIEVED HIS OR HER GOAL WITHOUT SHOWING MORE DEDICATION THAN THE NEXT PERSON; MAKING MORE SACRIFICES THAN THE NEXT PERSON; WORKING HARDER, TRAINING, AND CONDITIONING HIM / HERSELF MORE THAN THE NEXT PERSON; ENJOYING HIS / HER FINAL GOAL MORE THAN THE NEXT PERSON"[/font:136j6klz][/align:136j6klz]
    [align=center:136j6klz]-Doak Walker-[/align:136j6klz]