chi sao

one day a week to build strength?

I am wondering if its possible to build strength by weightlifting only one day a week.

my problem is this: time and martial arts class. i have class on tuesday and thursday, and i've tried a 3 day a week full body workout. that didn't workout for me during class, because it messed with my form, made me less flexible, and i wasn't learning as much as i could while i was 'fresh' (not sore from working out.) although throughout the week i do lots of cardio, bodyweight exercises, and flexibility training, i'm wondering if its a good idea to do a full body exercise on just friday, with 3-4 sets of each exercise. if i do this, im thinking i will be back at full strength by tuesday, and it won't bother my training at all.

what do you guys reccomend?

Well it's better than nothing I guess. Try a workout like this...

squat/deadlift(alternate each week)
    stiff-legged deadlifts/lunges(alternate each week)
    flat BB benchpress
    bent over BB rows
    military press
    pullups

Perform 3-4 sets of 4-6 reps for each exersice. This is as about as basic as you can get, but with a routine like this you are doing multi-joint movements that will allow you to gain strength and take advantage of the time you devote to lifting.

chi sao

is it smart to do these as a circuit? should i perform this whole program twice (in one workout session?)

Originally posted by chi sao:
    is it smart to do these as a circuit? should i perform this whole program twice (in one workout session?)
    I would not recommend doing a circut. A better option would to do opposing muscle groups supersets. For example, do a set of bench press, then immediatley after do a set of BB rows. Then rest 2 minutes and repeat until you do 3-4 sets.

Sadly enough, 1 day a week ain't gonna cut it, especially with martial arts thrown in the mix. Something else you could try, is spending 10mins on http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=229 before going to bed.

If you want, you can spend the day you planned doing a big leg exercise, and a complementary one. exemples: squat, stiff-leg deadlift, or deadlifts, then lunges. The idea would be to swap hip and quad dominants as the big exercise every 2-3weeks, and the same goes for the complementary. This way you would have a full body workout in 1 day of training +10mins per day before going to bed.

I am just starting out the athletic bodyweight exercises myself, as they look very promising and useful. In fact, I found out about this article just today and got hooked by it after the very first read!

Good Luck

PS. From my understanding, your strength will come just as gradually as weightlifting, but the fact that you have no numericals to gauge your progress, it might take some time before you notice it.
    starting: 205 pounds
    (around) 1year: 162pounds

regret: not knowing LBM before nor after \"[Frown]\"
    mid-term goal: 150 pounds

Wing Chun practitioner?
    "Athletes are always looking for some secret Soviet exercise or program, and this makes damage to them," he says. "The most important thing is for them to understand the vision of the global movement, of the dance. This is my philosophy." - World Record hammer thrower Yuriy Sedykh

quaribc

Originally posted by kuri:
    Wing Chun practitioner?
    my thoughts exactly. how long have you been practicing?

you might want to look in the Martial Arts Conditioning by Alwyn Cosgrove at his website alwyncosgrove.com

chi sao

allready bought alwyns program and am going to start reading it soon... wing chun! very close, actually its jeet kune do. thanks for the advice guys, and that was a very helpful article, patrick.

*edit* i forgot to mention i've been a student of jkd for a little over 2 months.

quaribc

Originally posted by chi sao:
    allready bought alwyns program and am going to start reading it soon... wing chun! very close, actually its jeet kune do. thanks for the advice guys, and that was a very helpful article, patrick.

*edit* i forgot to mention i've been a student of jkd for a little over 2 months.
    jkd? that's nice man. you do know that jkd and wing chun are close relatives. almost like father and son.

because it messed with my form, made me less flexible
    After a couple weeks with a program, soreness should mostly disappear. You say you have class on tues/thurs? in that case, you might try doing 2 full body workouts a week, friday and monday or something like that. You will be sore for a few weeks but in the long term that will mostly go away and you'll appreciate the benefits of lifting. Also, the flexibility loss you speak of is (hopefully) from the muscle soreness, so that should disappear, too. Remember that lifting through a full range of motion will maintain the flexibility of your muscles.
    though love be a day; and life be nothing, it shall not stop kissing
    - e.e. cummings

chi sao

jkd? that's nice man. you do know that jkd and wing chun are close relatives. almost like father and son.
    yeah, ive been educated on the story behind jkd, bruce first modified wing chun as his martial art then he created jkd from the best of everything (western boxing, french savate, fencing, and a little from here and there.)

After a couple weeks with a program, soreness should mostly disappear. You say you have class on tues/thurs? in that case, you might try doing 2 full body workouts a week, friday and monday or something like that. You will be sore for a few weeks but in the long term that will mostly go away and you'll appreciate the benefits of lifting. Also, the flexibility loss you speak of is (hopefully) from the muscle soreness, so that should disappear, too. Remember that lifting through a full range of motion will maintain the flexibility of your muscles.
    yeah i know after going through an exercise program for a while the soreness affects will wear off. the problem is that kickboxing and jkd allready make me sore. trying to perfect your form during class usually makes you sore around the back thigh area (especially when we're working on kicking and footwork alot, while the majority of people, like i was, never really used it much for fighting. i use to use my legs to just put more power into my punch and move around, the more class i go through the more i learn how important and offensive they are.)

plus in kickboxing we almost always do kicking drills... that class alone has made me more flexible allready

its a great feeling!

*EDIT* forgot to add in that i believe i should do two days a week also... i've got from friday/saturday/sunday/monday off before the next class... so if i do my workouts on friday and sunday i should be good to go on tuesday