Thread: Deep tissue massage- Your experience?

CAchief

Deep tissue massage- Your experience?

I have heard good things about this and active release therapy. DId a search of the boards and didn't find much. The last massage I got was a year ago and I felt so much better after (in the weight room and just overall). I was wondering If deep tissue massage is pretty essential to your muscle growth and how often is good enough for a person with a tighter budget. I work for a place that has massage so the employee discount makes it affordable. Anyways, anyone have any good experiences or know much about the subject? In my search of the forums I think I came across something that said KAISER has taken some classes in it? Maybe he can chime in as well.

No, I didn't do anything in ART. I took a class in traditional (Swedish?) massage (with a little shiatsu thrown in as a bonus) back in college. So I'm pretty good at giving massages and my wife has no idea why. [img]smile.gif[/img] I know when I get deep tissue work done on my legs, it feels fantastic - but then I beat up my legs pretty good between lifting and riding a lot.

Sorry I couldn't be much help.
    Yep, this is my signature:

[youtube]w4TbxS_CdWE[/youtube]

Deep tissue massage is awesome. I would do it once a week if I could afford it. Hell, I would love to go once a month. Its a pretty good idea. As you break down the muscle they develop some amount of adhesions, deep tissue massage will help with this.

ART is a bit different. It does involve soft tissue manipulation but its a whole lot more complex. Bill Hartman is certified in ART and has a lot of posts about it in the Rehab forum.

Danny
    Limitations are for people who have them.

Chicks Dig Me.

Training Log

CAchief

is it pretty brutal? I dont mind if there is a little suffering in there as long as it will help my performance in the gym.

ART can hurt like a bitch, especially in sensitive areas like the arm pitt.

Deep tissue doesn't really hurt but it can get uncomfortable if you are really tight. I love the feeling though.

Danny
    Limitations are for people who have them.

Chicks Dig Me.

Training Log

Originally posted by CAchief:
    I have heard good things about this and active release therapy. DId a search of the boards and didn't find much. The last massage I got was a year ago and I felt so much better after (in the weight room and just overall). I was wondering If deep tissue massage is pretty essential to your muscle growth and how often is good enough for a person with a tighter budget. I work for a place that has massage so the employee discount makes it affordable. Anyways, anyone have any good experiences or know much about the subject? In my search of the forums I think I came across something that said KAISER has taken some classes in it? Maybe he can chime in as well.
    you pretty much can't miss, so long as you have a good strong person working on you. I was getting two a week for about 6 months(awesome) but you gotta have some disposable income on hand.

My extremely limited understanding is, muscle should be smooth and pliable, and there should be no pain when it is manipulated(within reason). I find that even VERY deep massage, in areas that are healthy, cause no discomfort at all, but in places that are tight,stressed,unhealthy, it takes almost no manipulation to send me squirming off the table...