Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obliques and Lower Abs

Obliques and Lower Abs

wait wait wait....you're wanting your abs to show but thats easy and everyone is telling you great tips on how to get that done. BUT by looking at those drawings it almost seems like what you are also trying to fight against is what is known as an "hour glass" figure, am I right? Increasing lat width from boddom to top has been suggested to combat this genetic build in the past.

Obliques and Lower Abs

Squat and deadlift sir. That is really the best answer I have for you. My abs get hammered from these exercises, especially front squats.

Danny
    Limitations are for people who have them.

Chicks Dig Me.

Training Log

Obliques and Lower Abs

Danny has spoken. *bows down repeating "we're not worthy!"*
    "Rust on a nail builds tetanus. Rust on a barbell builds character, strength, and attitude." -EC
    "Don't spend your life wishing. Spend it doing." -FishrCutB8
    "You're a mutant, like a snake with two heads or a cat shy one nipple. Be thankful that your mutation is helpful." - LD
    http://forums.jpfitness.com/training-log/27531-im-back-tuostl-take-2-a.html

FenderBender425

Obliques and Lower Abs

yea thats it the hour glass thing that what i have , so you said i should increase the size of my back? and if i do that will i ever be able to get a physic simialr to Brad's?

FenderBender425

Obliques and Lower Abs

i thought i could get rid of the hour glass thing by increasing the size of my obliques because my back is naturaly big, like my rib cage is.

Obliques and Lower Abs

What Danny suggests reigns supreme because actually increasing the width and size of your abdominals is going to help you get rid of that hour glass figure and heavy squats, deadlifts, and heavy ab training is going to do that. It's basically keeping abdominal pressure and remaining stable under such large amounts of weight that takes a lot of ab strength and hypertrophies your waist.

Increasing the size of your obliques could just make it worse. You probably have genetically larger hips (bone structure plays a big role here) and a very narrow waist (upper abdominal). Increasing your obliques may just add to your hips and leave your upper ab width look even narrower than before. As you know your latimus dorsi runs along the side up and down your whole back. So increasing lower lat width would really be beneficial to you along with overall latwidth.

So I would concentrate on heavy squats, heavy deadlifts, heavy weighted ab training, and it wouldn't hurt to go as wide as possible regularly on pull-ups (and lat pull-down for extra volume if needed). Thats my input, hope it helps, good luck!

Obliques and Lower Abs

I should add wide pull-ups behind the neck are going to place more emphasis on the lower lat fibers just becareful and warm up properly. Also don't get too discourage about this dude, you basically just need to grow and get bigger, you have to grow into your bone structure if you will, you'll get there.

FenderBender425

Obliques and Lower Abs

so what you guys are saying is that if i do or if i dont do anything for obliques and i lose bf and get to like 7-8% i would have defined obliques like Mr.Pitt's?

Obliques and Lower Abs

yep, its all the bodyfat.
    "there was a sex scandal involving two long time members who disappeared after their accounts had to be banned when it was discovered that they were both married to the same person and were also doing each other"

[font=Impact:3i9srj2w]It was Becka, Mesha, and TS in the forum with the lead pipe.
    [/font:3i9srj2w]

Obliques and Lower Abs

Originally posted by DKing:
    My abs get hammered from these exercises, especially front squats.
    Danny,
    Have you ever tried Zercher squats. I do these with a sandbag and they really work my abs.

Buk

Obliques and Lower Abs

My vote is for overhead squats. They will make you think regular squats aren't even a compound exercise.

Obliques and Lower Abs

Originally posted by DKing:
    Squat and deadlift sir. That is really the best answer I have for you. My abs get hammered from these exercises, especially front squats.

Danny
    I squat and pull 3 times a week, to hell with direct ab work [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "The strongest steel goes through the hottest fires."-Anonymous
    "When you begin to believe nothing is heavy, all weights become light." -Rossbow
    "Just remember, somewhere there is a little Chinese girl warming up with your max."-Jim Convroy
    "It's a round hole, dammit. Everyone fits."--Anonymous

Head Olympic Lifting Coach at Supreme Sports

Buk

Obliques and Lower Abs

I aim for 4 times a week, but have been throwing in a bit of ab work once and a while. It is usually incorporated with a cable chop or lift though.