Thread: Insect Nutrition...mmmmm

Insect Nutrition...mmmmm

" Insects have played an important part in the history of human nutrition in Africa, Asia and Latin America (Bodenheimer, 1951). They were an equally important resource for the Indians of western North America, who, like other indigenous groups, expended much organization and effort in harvesting them (Sutton, 1988). Hundreds of species have been used as human food. Some of the more important groups include grass- hoppers, caterpillars, beetle grubs and (sometimes) adults, winged termites (some of which are very large in the tropics), bee, wasp and ant brood (larvae and pupae) as well as winged ants, cicadas, and a variety of aquatic insects. Ordinarily, insects are not used as emergency food to ward off starvation, but are included as a planned part of the diet throughout the year or when seasonally available. Among the numerous examples that could be cited, the Yukpa people of Colombia and Venezuela prefer certain of their traditional insect foods to fresh meat (Ruddle, 1973), as do the Pedi of South Africa (Quin, 1959)."

http://www.food-insects.com/Insects%20as%20Human%20Food.htm

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/misc/insectnutrition.html

YEAAAAAH!!! Eating insects is highly nutritious and fun!!! Who's with me?!? *crickets churp* [no pun intended] No really, a lot of countries devote a great deal of their diet around the consuming insects and suprisingly enough they have high nutrition value, higher when compared to beef, poultry, fish, etc. Thought it was an interesting topic everyone may not think about. We're raised in our society to consider eating insects and gross and disgusting.

Insect Nutrition...mmmmm

As a gag I got my kids (4 and 7) some stuff from InsectCandy.com last summer and they loved it! They still love to brag to their friends that they've eaten ants, crickets and meal worms.

My wife on the other hand couldn't even be in the room when they chowed down.

Insect Nutrition...mmmmm

Pretty cool statistics - I haven't seen those Rev [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's something that I should include in my paleonutrition lectures. Get the students squirming in their seats.

Insect Nutrition...mmmmm

Originally posted by Johnka:
    Pretty cool statistics - I haven't seen those Rev [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's something that I should include in my paleonutrition lectures. Get the students squirming in their seats.
    Thank ya sir! I would love to take that class by the way, I'm very interested in ancient civilizations. Maybe we can talk history at the retreat!