Thread: Nutrition info. here versus Running Forums

Nutrition info. here versus Running Forums

I appreciate the sensible nutritional information that is posted on this forum. I read the Runner's World Forum as well, and the nutrition info. posted there makes me want to tear out what's left of my hair. Some of it is very much on target, but there is a fairly widespread belief that running gives people a blank check to eat whatever they want and stay healthy and fit. And then many of the runners complain because they still have love handles and jiggly stomachs. LOL. I feel like a heretic when I post that I don't buy into the idea that runners need to chow down on tons of simple carbs - processed cereals, pasta, white rice, bagels, etc.
    [font=Comic Sans MS:3enu7js4]26.2![/font:3enu7js4]
    [font=Tahoma:3enu7js4]My Log[/font:3enu7js4]
    [font=Tahoma:3enu7js4]http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ptcyVwQR2BmjUiWJyFsyMNw[/font:3enu7js4]

I'm right there with you. I visit that forum from time-to-time and it seems more often than not someone is promoting the miracle of the Luna bar. I guess it's easy to take for granted the influences that Berardi, Johnka, Hartman, etc. have on the quality of the information provided here.

Edit: I just checked over there to see if my remarks might have been off. Well you be the judge.

LOL, UpNorth! I just checked out the nutritional info. on Luna Bars. They aren't on the same level as a candybar, but not do contain a lot of sugar (almost 30% of calories from sugar). Oh but it's rice syrup, not sugar. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    [font=Comic Sans MS:3enu7js4]26.2![/font:3enu7js4]
    [font=Tahoma:3enu7js4]My Log[/font:3enu7js4]
    [font=Tahoma:3enu7js4]http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ptcyVwQR2BmjUiWJyFsyMNw[/font:3enu7js4]

Running throws you into a catabolic state anyhow, which does help accumulate fat easier when you don't eat the right stuff, or too much of it. Go figure.
    p.s. At least you guys understand each other here, which is a blessing. Where we work (Eastern Europe) nutrition is still at a level where supplements are considered food and Snickers bars are prescribed for bulking.

Heh! My brother works on the Snickers brand. He likes to say "It is the only candy on earth that has a perceived functional value." -- Snicker's really satisfies, right?