Thread: Natural Glute Hamstring Raises

Natural Glute Hamstring Raises

Hi Everyone...

I have a quick question... I was reading Cressy's Ultimate Offseason Training Manual and one of the exercises is a Glute Hamstring Raise. Now I don't have the right equipment (something like a roman chair) to do this properly... but I have heard about a natural variation which doesn't require the roman chair. Does anyone have a description or picture on how to do this properly?

Thanks for your help.

-Brian

I've got videos of a few different versions. Drop me an email at [email:3tw07hzu]ec@ericcressey.com[/email:3tw07hzu] and I'll send 'em your way.

If you can anchor your feet under something: bottom of a DB rack, squat rack, a bar loaded with small plates, lat pulldown machine, a training partner, etc. you can do natural GHRs. Same idea, lower yourself under control to the bottom and bring yourself back up. You can use a little push off the floor if you need to, with the ultimate goal of eliminating the push.
    "Rust on a nail builds tetanus. Rust on a barbell builds character, strength, and attitude." -EC
    "Don't spend your life wishing. Spend it doing." -FishrCutB8
    "You're a mutant, like a snake with two heads or a cat shy one nipple. Be thankful that your mutation is helpful." - LD
    http://forums.jpfitness.com/training-log/27531-im-back-tuostl-take-2-a.html

Here are a couple of threads where we discussed the natural GHR, too. Buk put up a video in the second thread.

http://forums.jpfitness.com/showthre...lute+ham+raise

http://forums.jpfitness.com/showthre...lute+ham+raise
    Lisa Holladay, CSCS

Thank you for your responses :-) I think I'm all set for my Lower Body Maximal Strength workout on Tuesday. (the Glute-Hamstring Raise was my last pre-workout exercise question).

-Brian

I did these for the first time a few weeks ago. I was floored by how hard they were.
    I put my feet under my workout bench's low stabilizer bar and added weight plates to the bench.
    I had to use the little push at the bottom all the way til the last week of doing them. I definitely increased my strength and was very excited when I found I could do them without "the push".
    Good luck and enjoy.
    [font=Verdana:2lgm45wi]Follow me on Twitter if you're so inclined: @LuckyTMonk[/font:2lgm45wi]

I've heard conflicting info about the natural ghr. I've read they are great, much better than a hamstring curl. I've also read that they are complete garbage (I *think* that was a quote from dave tate...not sure though. I've tried them and they are quite difficult for what thats worth.

Hate to say it because tate gives a ton of great information to us,

But i wouldnt take his word on the natural ghr's being garbage, just due to the fact that he does sell ghr machinens.

If thats all you can do, they are good. Of course a real ghr is probally a little bit better, but its not a huge deal.

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

The Tate article that I read had him saying that they were no comparison. With the "natural" you're going to be doing negatives for a long, long time, compared to using a GHR station.

The folcrum point on a natural ghr is on the knee, itself.

With a ghr station, you have the folcrum point above the knee, increasing leverage, so you can lift your body weight with less strength.

Granted, the person who can just barely do a "natural" style concentric is stronger than the person who can just barely do it on the machine, but machine boy will benefit a lot sooner. Mr. Natural will need other glute/ham work to build up his concentric strength.

Plus, Machine Guy doesn't look like a flayling idiot in front of the chicks.

bullandbear

That's an interesting comparison. I do not have access to the GHR machines and can only perform negatives only Gluteham Raises. As such, I am only able to do SLD and leg curls before I get to natural GHR.

If there is anything that I can do to replicate the machines (via moving the fulcrum point to a better leverage) please share. Could placing a foam roller above the knee help?

Quote Originally Posted by "bullandbear":2ifxdfbk
    That's an interesting comparison. I do not have access to the GHR machines and can only perform negatives only Gluteham Raises. As such, I am only able to do SLD and leg curls before I get to natural GHR.

If there is anything that I can do to replicate the machines (via moving the fulcrum point to a better leverage) please share. Could placing a foam roller above the knee help?
    I don't know any way to replicate the fulcrum point of the machine. I've never seen anybody try the foam roller like that. I'd imagine it'd hurt your quads to have your bodyweight roll over a foam roller? Maybe if you padded it with something extra? I'm still not sure how it'd work. Let us know if you try it! HA!

There are several ideas for how to progress on a natural GHR. Just keep doing the negatives and add supplemental work like the SLD you're already doing as well as single-leg back extensions, RDLs, and glute work like single-leg hip extensions (cables or machine).

You can also work up to a natural GHR by assisting it with a band and working your way to less and less assist. You can also add to that some partial ROM reps, going down only as far as you're able to come back up.
    Lisa Holladay, CSCS

Alcoholiday

i don't know why people insist on doing natural GHRs. If people don't have a machine, i think they would be better suited doing stuff like GMs, RDLs, etc. I never got anything out of doing the natural GHRs... but that's just me.

bullandbear

I never could feel it in the hamstring with natural GHR in the past so I did a following experiment to test if the exercise is really working the target muscle group. I trained my hamstring with SDL, machine leg curls, pull throughs and supine leg curls on the gym ball. Feeling a little sore the next day, I tried out natural GHR and was amazed by how much sensation my hammies were feeling. I'm pretty convinced now and I just put them at the end of my hamstring work.

Inspired by the idea of reusing old foam rollers, I will be trying the modified NGHR this weekend. I would need to place a folded or rolled-up towel to elevate the foam roller a little higher to allow some clearance for the knees. I haven't tried the real machine type GHR but if this improvized option feels better than regular NGHR, I'll be sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by "Alcoholiday":h0n3fpwt
    i don't know why people insist on doing natural GHRs. If people don't have a machine, i think they would be better suited doing stuff like GMs, RDLs, etc. I never got anything out of doing the natural GHRs... but that's just me.
    Different exercise.....GM's, RDL's = hammies as hip extensors.....GH's = hammies as knee flexors (and hip extensors if done off the floor and bringing the torso down into full flexion).
    Robert dos Remedios, MA, CSCS,
    HCC (Hartman-Cosgrove Certified)
    Director of Spood, Strength & Conditioning
    College of the Crayons, CA
    http://www.canyons.edu/departments/pe/strength

[align=center:136j6klz][font=Bradley Hand ITC:136j6klz]"NO CHAMPION HAS EVER ACHIEVED HIS OR HER GOAL WITHOUT SHOWING MORE DEDICATION THAN THE NEXT PERSON; MAKING MORE SACRIFICES THAN THE NEXT PERSON; WORKING HARDER, TRAINING, AND CONDITIONING HIM / HERSELF MORE THAN THE NEXT PERSON; ENJOYING HIS / HER FINAL GOAL MORE THAN THE NEXT PERSON"[/font:136j6klz][/align:136j6klz]
    [align=center:136j6klz]-Doak Walker-[/align:136j6klz]

Alcoholiday

Quote Originally Posted by "dos":2xle3jm2
    Different exercise.....GM's, RDL's = hammies as hip extensors.....GH's = hammies as knee flexors (and hip extensors if done off the floor and bringing the torso down into full flexion).
    what would be a sub for natural ghs then?

i never got anything out of doing the natural ones, but once i got a ghr machine, i saw a big carryover on hamstring strength.

Quote Originally Posted by "dos":2wui8s7m
    Anything wrong then with subbing in leg curls for GHRs?(as they both feature knee flexion)
    Audentes Fortunas Juvat

"Focus on making the 5 lifts stronger and getting enough food. There will be plenty of time to worry about glycemic indexes, PERs, and Bulgarian Split squats later. Much later."-Mark Rippetoe

Leg curls are not near as good as a real GHR.. I would do them over a natural ghr likely though just do to the fact that I find natural ghrs brutal on the knees no matter what I do. Not sure about the carryover with them, never done them for long enough. Neither is going to give as good carryover as a real ghr though, more gyms really need these.

Just wanted to contribute an improvised version of the GHR machine I used recently (pretty sure this isn't very original, but thought I should share it anyway). Basically get a bench and line it against the wall, then dump some real heavy weights on the bench. Next find a really small swiss ball and put that in front of the bench. Now all you need to do is hook your legs under the bench such that your feet are touching the walls, and your knees are on the swiss ball. I prefer to put my legs a little off centre from the apex of the ball to simulate the position my knees would be on the real GHR machine.

Only downside is that the swiss ball might have a little too much give, which makes it a little unstable, but not sure if that affects the strength side of things.
    My Training Log: Jin's New Log
    My Blog: Jin's Life

Height: 167cm Weight: 72.5kg
    Deadlift: 140kg (mixed grip sumo)
    Back Squat: 90kg (3RM)
    Front Squat: 72.5kg (approximate 3RM)