95-6
    90-6
    A:2 3 point DB row
    3x8 @ 110
    B:1 JM press
    2x8 @ 95
    B:2 DB curl
    2x8

I was quite happy with the PR, weight felt good, I thought about going for 5 but decided 4 felt good.

Rehab the Right way, staying healthy

Friday

It was a really nice day out yesterday, so instead of the usual workout my girlfriend and I went to the park and just did some conditioning stuff with a medicine ball and lots of lunges.
    We basically did alot of different throws and then lunge or sprint to the ball and throw it again. We also did some lunges holding the ball overhead...good workout

Man does your situation sound familiar. A couple weeks ago my L4-5/Sacro was acting up and I couldn't even stand up straight.

Like you squats and DLs are not even a thought but I've been doing lots of single leg squats, step up variations, and lunges.

How are the single leg RDLs feeling?

Did the power cleans aggravate anything?

Chris
    "Athletes are always looking for some secret Soviet exercise or program, and this makes damage to them," he says. "The most important thing is for them to understand the vision of the global movement, of the dance. This is my philosophy." - World Record hammer thrower Yuriy Sedykh

Quote Originally Posted by "kuri":2cthyfzx
    Man does your situation sound familiar. A couple weeks ago my L4-5/Sacro was acting up and I couldn't even stand up straight.

Like you squats and DLs are not even a thought but I've been doing lots of single leg squats, step up variations, and lunges.

How are the single leg RDLs feeling?

Did the power cleans aggravate anything?

Chris
    yeah the problem with back pain is you need to think long term as opposed to just taking a week or 2 and getting right back at it...which I found out the hard way.

As my balance improves the RDls feel like they are becoming more effective, also the swiss ball GHR felt like a smart addition.
    The power cleans didn't hurt anything, but I think to keep on the safe side I'll be doing sets of 3 at 155 to work on form and add some more sets to get in a little volume.

Monday RE Bench

A:1 Medium grip Bench
    warm ups
    215-5
    215-5
    215-5
    215-5
    215-5
    B:1 Close grip Bench
    185-6
    185-8
    155-10
    B:1 Wide grip Pullup

Forgot chalk today that sucked, otherwise good stuff even though I had a 12 hour day leading up to the workout.

Tuesday Lower ect.

Warmup
    A:1 Prone bridge on SB
    100ish not sure got distracted
    A:2 Side bridge on Hand
    55 seconds each side
    B:1 Power clean
    4x3 @ 155
    C:1 Reverse Lunge off box
    50-8
    75-8
    75-8
    C:2 Single leg RDL
    3x8 @ 60
    D:1 Stability ball GHR

I'm not entirely sold on the RDLs, but they have improved my balance and feel like they are adding some stability/mobility in my lower extremities and the GHRs definately are going to help so we'll maintain the plan.

Friday ME upper

Medium grip Bench
    45-some
    135-8
    155-5
    185-5
    205-3
    225-1
    245-1
    255-1
    275-miss
    B:1 Neutral grip DB bench
    85-8
    85-8
    85-8
    B:2 Barbell Row
    205-8
    205-8
    205-8

This was one of my most uninspired workouts lately, but good news is that my worst workouts are usually followed by a couple very good ones.

Azure

Hey, UMass I'm new here, noticed your screen name--and as another Mass person, also attending UMass (I'm at the Dartmouth campus) I thought I'd say hello! I'm sorry to hear that anyone has a back injury--those are tough. My dad has some serious back issues from time to time--but I'm glad that you've realized that you've got to take it easy and not let your ego get in the way of your back getting back into the best shape it can be in. My dad usually doesn't do as he should as far as that goes Best of luck with your goals!

Quote Originally Posted by "Azure":9x1060c1
    Hey, UMass I'm new here, noticed your screen name--and as another Mass person, also attending UMass (I'm at the Dartmouth campus) I thought I'd say hello! I'm sorry to hear that anyone has a back injury--those are tough. My dad has some serious back issues from time to time--but I'm glad that you've realized that you've got to take it easy and not let your ego get in the way of your back getting back into the best shape it can be in. My dad usually doesn't do as he should as far as that goes Best of luck with your goals!
    Hey, welcome to the boards and thanks for stopping by, yeah I'm a product of Umass, finishing this year though I hope to end up at UMass med school. Hope you're liking the Dartmouth campus, I've been down there a few times and had a good time.

Hey Umass,

I'm also working around a back injury and looking for PC exercises that dont bother the back. Could you link me to the swiss ball GHR? I can't seem to find it and "natural GHR's" dont work quite the same for me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by "AceDeuce":31inli4d
    Hey Umass,

I'm also working around a back injury and looking for PC exercises that dont bother the back. Could you link me to the swiss ball GHR? I can't seem to find it and "natural GHR's" dont work quite the same for me. Thanks!
    Here it is I secure my feet under the heaviest end of the dumbbell rack which works well, also for the 1st few times I gave a little push with my hands at the bottom, but I'm almost ready to add weight so give it a few tries.

Monday RE Bench
    Warm Up

A:1 SB plank
    120 seconds
    B:1 Medium Grip Bench
    45-8
    95-5
    135-5
    155-5
    205-2 last warm up
    5x5 at 225
    B:1 Wide grip pullup
    bw-10
    bw-10
    bw-10
    B:2 close grip Bench
    185-6
    185-7
    185-6
    C:1 Reverse Grip BB row
    2x12 at 155
    C:2 JM press
    95-12
    115-6 triceps got very tired very quick

I them finished with 2 sets of bodyweight chinups for fun, the 5x5 felt good and my form was dead on so the rest of the workout went well. I think that I'm going to keep at the 5x5 RE until I feel like I've stalled and then swap out for DE bands.

Wednesday Lower body work

Warm up
    Usual ab work
    A:1 Snatches
    95-3
    115-3
    135-3
    155-2
    B:1 Barbell RDL
    135-15
    135-15
    205-15
    C:1 Belt squat with DB hanging from dip belt
    80-10
    110-10
    150-8

finished with some calf work, This day is going to replace the sled day due to lack of a sled. The goal with the RDLs is to just improve my active range of motion which should help my deadlift once I get back to it reps will stay high and weight will stay light, the belt squats are performed standing on 2 aerobics steps with the db hanging in between this one felt good.

I'm so stealing the belt squat idea. mwuahah

Kamal Singh

Hey Umass,

That's pretty good going. No pain or any other stuff, I hope. RDLs and snatches with disc hassles. Wow, gives me hope.

What exactly did you do in your physical therapy/rehab sessions. I would love to know.

Best regards and stay healthy

Kamal

Quote Originally Posted by "Kamal Singh":dtex2ul6
    Hey Umass,

That's pretty good going. No pain or any other stuff, I hope. RDLs and snatches with disc hassles. Wow, gives me hope.

What exactly did you do in your physical therapy/rehab sessions. I would love to know.

Best regards and stay healthy

Kamal
    PT for me consisted of increasing hip mobility/flexibility, abdominal stabilization, and then ultrasound for my low back. The warm up that I use which is explained on page one is basically a more advanced involved version of the stuff I did in therapy.
    Also you should note that with both the RDls and snatches I was staying very far away from anything that would be heavy, for example pre-injury my RDls were in the high 300s low 400 so this is more to try and increase the active ROM until I can use heavy stuff again (which may be never).
    P.s thanks for stopping by

Thursday Deload ME

Bench
    worked up to
    245-2
    A:1 DB bench neutral grip
    85-8
    85-8
    A:2 Babrbell row
    205-8
    205-8

I was feeling drained so I'm deloading.

Kamal Singh

Hi Umass,

Thanks for answering my Qs. I hope you can go back to lifting as heavy as soon as possible. I am sure if you don't rush the process and take your time, you should b able to achieve your goals.

Kamal

Time for a new template....I will explain at the of this post

High Intensity Bench day

General Warmup

Speed Bench with doubled mini bands
    2x3 @ 115
    6x3 @ 135
    3 Board bench press
    185-3
    205-3
    245-3
    265-3
    Floor Press
    185-3
    205-3
    225-3

Seated DB cleans
    2x12
    Tricep Pushdown
    2x15
    Face Pulls
    2x12

So heres the plan, we'll stick with the upper/lower split, the lower body days will basically be what I've been doing, but the upper days will be a High intensity day(note we are talking CNS intensity not HIT) which I just did, the other day will start with something like 5x3 at a low percent for just pratice with my full ROM bench, and then the rest of the work will be rows, pullups and light shoulder and tricep work. we'll re-evaluate after 3 weeks.
    The template for the High intensity day is as follows
    DE work
    High end bench
    Low end bench
    then finish with some prehab for shoulders/elbows

Wednesday Lower Body

Warm up

Power Cleans
    135-3
    155-3
    155-3
    Reverse Lunge off 8" box
    55-8
    70-8
    75-8
    Stability ball GHR

leg workouts without heavy weights are and will always be boring...