Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Egham's 61-Day Challenge Log

Egham's 61-Day Challenge Log

Quote Originally Posted by "SpacecityPaula":x91aj8k3
    Glad to hear that Mrs. Egham is feeling much better. I'm right behind you on finishing up FL-1
    Thanks, Paula]PARTY!!![/B]

BTW, I see you have another new avatar! Nice!!!
    "May you live every day of your life." - Jonathan Swift

So other than the TRX, what other equipment do you have for a home workout? I would think that if you had a TRX, a jumprope, some bodyweight workouts and maybe a couple kettlebells (or dumbbells), etc., you could go gym free. I tend to like to go to the gym a couple days a week and work out either at home or in hotel gyms if I'm traveling at other times. Also, during the winter I tend to go to the gym more often just to get out of the house and get a change of scenery (plus no outdoor workouts when it's snowing).

Quote Originally Posted by "Egham":3onsvt5v
    Thanks, Paula]PARTY!!![/B]

BTW, I see you have another new avatar! Nice!!!
    A party would be awesome (as long as Aoife's Monkeys didn't invade, Parties+Monkeys Not so Awesome).

Yup. Made it myself. New T-shirt design for my web site.

Quote Originally Posted by "L'ilJ":2pgm036z
    ...no outdoor workouts when it's snowing.
    Oh, I bet you could come up with a few...
    [font=Arial:wkq39lo0][/font:wkq39lo0]
    [font=Century Gothic:wkq39lo0]On Krista mistressing the chin-up, "It's amazing", said one gym source, "considering that for months she just hung there like a dead fish."[/font:wkq39lo0]

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pZfk8NYPbv-aX78dDuRyReg

Quote Originally Posted by "Egham":2uyqn4hn
    Thanks, Victoria. Yes, I was intrigued by the "Military Fitness Guide" and noticed that it was included with their "Force" model, so that's what I ordered. I'm looking forward to setting the thing up and seeing just what I can do with it. I thought about getting their Core Strength Vol. 1 as well, but figured that the Military Fitness Guide would probably more than adequately cover core strength.
    Cool. Let me know how you hook it up. When I get mine, I'm thinking of rigging it onto a telephone pole in my yard.

I could have justified buying a membership at the old price (as a trial run just to see how it worked out for me), but since I am highly uncertain as to just how I would end up using my membership, the new, doubled price seems a bit too steep just to see how I like it (I found Craig's e-mails about the price hike and am kicking myself for not noticing when they arrived). At this point, I'm thinking that I could get what I need out of a couple of his e-books. That would see me through for approximately a year for around 1/3 the price of a full membership, or less. Once I get through those, I should be in a better position to determine whether a membership to gain access to the monthly workouts would be in order.
    Sounds logical. Although, many of the monthly workouts are really cool, too. So, if you eventually do sign on, I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

I'm looking to drop some more fat and add muscle. I realize that I could just stick with NROL to make that happen, but - after almost a year - I'm ready to try something a bit different, something that isn't as gym dependent (I absolutely HATE fighting the traffic). I've looked through the TT e-book listing and am thinking that I will purchase the "Get Lean!" package. One of the things that I like about the Bodyweight package I purchased last year is that it includes multiple programs to choose from, and the Get Lean package appears similar in that regard. It offers a full year's worth of workouts, should I decide to follow it from beginning to end. So, I was thinking about starting with that with an eye toward eventually picking up the TT for Mass program a few months down the road.
    I agree with wanting to switch programs now and then. And, working out at home can be a nice option. I think the "Get Lean" and "TT for Mass" programs look great with plenty of workouts to choose from. Heck, I think they are all great workouts. Do you have the original TT manual? That has several workouts in it, too. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever programs you choose. I don't know if this helps at all.

I can't wait to see what you do next! Tomorrow I'll be doing my next weight routine PLUS the BW circuit right after it. I've never done both together before. It should be the death of me!!!
    [font=Century Gothic:wkq39lo0]On Krista mistressing the chin-up, "It's amazing", said one gym source, "considering that for months she just hung there like a dead fish."[/font:wkq39lo0]

Quote Originally Posted by "L'ilJ":7yqo6rav
    So other than the TRX, what other equipment do you have for a home workout? I would think that if you had a TRX, a jumprope, some bodyweight workouts and maybe a couple kettlebells (or dumbbells), etc., you could go gym free. I tend to like to go to the gym a couple days a week and work out either at home or in hotel gyms if I'm traveling at other times. Also, during the winter I tend to go to the gym more often just to get out of the house and get a change of scenery (plus no outdoor workouts when it's snowing).
    I do have a jump rope (which I get tangled up in regularly), the full set of TT bodyweight workouts and a good set of dumbells (to 65 lb) with a bench that will both incline and decline, so I could go mostly gym-free.

Like you, I do like going in there every few days. I do have a couple of "gym buddies" that I enjoy seeing. But, I don't like being dependent upon the gym to complete my workout programs. I'll still go there for cardio when the weather isn't cooperative (fortunately, little snow here) or when I just need a change of scenery as does happen once in awhile.

Hotel gyms can be pretty hit or miss, even at high-end hotels. I usually try to book hotels that have access to Ys or had an on-site fitness club. Fortunately, I don't travel all that much anymore. After being on the road about 3/4 time for 12 years, I don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by "Victoria":3fbnrb4a
    Cool. Let me know how you hook it up. When I get mine, I'm thinking of rigging it onto a telephone pole in my yard.
    I'll rig it to a tree most of the time. I'll run a rope around it a couple of times, cinch it tight and hook the TRX to that with an O or D-ring. Jill's earlier post mentioning that Roland took his down to the beach led me to measure the distance from our pier rail to the sandy beach below. When the lake drops another 4 inches or so (it's a reservior and the level fluctuates according to season and rainfall), I'll also be able to do beach workouts. Cool!

Sounds logical. Although, many of the monthly workouts are really cool, too. So, if you eventually do sign on, I don't think you'd be dissapointed.
    Yea, I'm still kicking myself for not buying in on time.

I agree with wanting to switch programs now and then. And, working out at home can be a nice option. I think the "Get Lean" and "TT for Mass" programs look great with plenty of workouts to choose from. Heck, I think they are all great workouts. Do you have the original TT manual? That has several workouts in it, too. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever programs you choose. I don't know if this helps at all.
    I do have the old TT for Fat Loss, is that the original?

Your input does indeed help, it assures me that I'm not likely making a bad decision. I deeply appreciate it!

I can't wait to see what you do next! Tomorrow I'll be doing my next weight routine PLUS the BW circuit right after it. I've never done both together before. It should be the death of me!!!
    Good luck with it! I'm sure you'll do well. You might be a bit sore, maybe, but you'll probably emerge from it grinning. From what I've seen you keep pushing, going beyond and always come out stronger, it not smiling, and focused on what's next. I'm confident that you'll do it again.

I'll be sure to let you know what I decide to do next. After reading several of the threads in the TT sub-forum here, I'll mostly likely start with a beginner's work-out.

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

You're going to like the TRX. I'm sure of it.

Victoria, let us know how that military fitness book is. I got a few DVDs along with mine. I'm curious what the miltary book covers. Or, is it a DVD, too?

Everybody has me wanting a TRX. I feel like I am in Middle School, only I don't have someone to go to and say Roland and Victoria and Egham and Lil'J all have one... why can't I. Buy me a TRX! LOL. I have used one of these before and liked it. I may have to take a more serious look at it in the near future. It would be useful to keep with me for when I am stuck at work.

Say hi to Mrs. Egham for me and keep on Rockin!

Newman
    "Branch chainz, bro. Leucine in the sky with diamonds." - Alan Aragon

My training log - The Weight is OVER...

My MS Bike Tour 150 donation page.

Quote Originally Posted by "Lost Dog":1n6wc2ju
    You're going to like the TRX. I'm sure of it.

Victoria, let us know how that military fitness book is. I got a few DVDs along with mine. I'm curious what the miltary book covers. Or, is it a DVD, too?
    I'm really looking forward to it. I'm glad you and Jill brought it to the attention of the rest of us here. I just hope that once I start using it, I don't start feeling compelled to cobble a sled together, fill it with whatever and push it around the yard!

Jill, please tell me that you haven't started doing that too?!!

I ordered the Force version which comes with the Military Fitness Guide. I take it you have their Professional model? Here's a link to their description page for the Guide. You can look at a few sample pages from there.

Perhaps I should have gone with the wimpier version....Looking at the suspended incline press, I'm wondering how I can even get myself in that position without bodily harm.....I guess I'll find out!

Quote Originally Posted by "James Newman":1s7niq57
    Everybody has me wanting a TRX. I feel like I am in Middle School, only I don't have someone to go to and say Roland and Victoria and Egham and Lil'J all have one... why can't I. Buy me a TRX! LOL. I have used one of these before and liked it. I may have to take a more serious look at it in the near future. It would be useful to keep with me for when I am stuck at work.

Say hi to Mrs. Egham for me and keep on Rockin!

Newman
    Go ahead and just do it Newman! Join the growing crowd....I just saw where UConnJulie has ordered one as well.

Nutrition - Full Compliance
    Exercise - Aqua jogging 45 min. I had pretty much forgotten that I had one and found it when I was straightening out the garage. I purchased it years ago when I had some pretty bad tendinitis in my left knee so that I could get some aerobic exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by "James Newman":2b6gdvxz
    DO IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "Egham":2b6gdvxz
    I just hope that once I start using it, I don't start feeling compelled to cobble a sled together, fill it with whatever and push it around the yard!
    Yeah...I'm kind of afraid of that happening, too!!!

Roland, definitely check out the link for the Military Fitness Guide. It looks brutal, but I KNOW you can handle it!

Quote Originally Posted by "Egham":2b6gdvxz
    Perhaps I should have gone with the wimpier version....
    Naaaah.....if we're going to do this, we're going all the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "Egham":2jygsk9d
    I do have the old TT for Fat Loss, is that the original?
    I don't know. I thought I read on one of the threads on his forum that his site has been up for only a year. So, if it's that new, maybe it is one and the same. Let's see...I'm looking at my copy. It is 86 pages long and covers...

Lifestyle Review
    21-Day Healthy Habits
    TT Guidelines
    TT Interval Guidelines
    Intro TT Workout
    Beginner TT Workout
    Intermediate TT Workout
    TT 2K3, 2K4, 2K5 (wonder what the "K" stands for...)
    Core TT
    Exercises

Does this look familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by "Egham":3orz19sv
    I'm really looking forward to it. I'm glad you and Jill brought it to the attention of the rest of us here. I just hope that once I start using it, I don't start feeling compelled to cobble a sled together, fill it with whatever and push it around the yard!

Jill, please tell me that you haven't started doing that too?!!

I ordered the Force version which comes with the Military Fitness Guide. I take it you have their Professional model? Here's a link to their description page for the Guide. You can look at a few sample pages from there.

Perhaps I should have gone with the wimpier version....Looking at the suspended incline press, I'm wondering how I can even get myself in that position without bodily harm.....I guess I'll find out!
    I have the professional bundle, which has the dvds on core and full body workouts. From the PDF, it looks like there's a 95% overlap between the civilian and military programs. Although, the military one seems to have a full program with (shudder) cardio prescriptions.

The core one is really good. Not that I'm doing it, mind you. But, core/ab work is my week point. I hate it. This gives me enough interesting (and really, really hard) stuff to work into my regular routine. So, I actually do the core work.

Oh, in addition to the DVDs, they came with fold out, laminated, all-weather booklets that show all of the exercises. They fit into the stuff sack, so I can get my reminders anywhere, even on the beach.

Oh, and there's no wimpier version. They two TRXs are exactly the same (except for color and accompanying books/dvds). There are plenty of things described in mine that I can't do. But, you change the angle to shallower/steeper until you can do them. Eventually, we'll get there.

LD, are there workout routines already written as part of the package or just individual exercise descriptions? Would one write a routine using the same principles as those using weights or other equipment? I guess you would, right? I guess what I'm thinking is, could I convert some of the routines I've been doing (NROL, TT, etc.) into TRX routines, so each exercise and rep/set scheme is the same, targeting the same muscles, just adapting the routine to the TRX equipment. I tend to like the 6-exercise, supersetted schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by "Victoria":2yr58ql5
    LD, are there workout routines already written as part of the package or just individual exercise descriptions? Would one write a routine using the same principles as those using weights or other equipment? I guess you would, right? I guess what I'm thinking is, could I convert some of the routines I've been doing (NROL, TT, etc.) into TRX routines, so each exercise and rep/set scheme is the same, targeting the same muscles, just adapting the routine to the TRX equipment. I tend to like the 6-exercise, supersetted schemes.
    It came with two full routines, each with an A/B setup. The full body and the core routines.

You could adapt a lot of workouts to a TRX. You have to be more flexible with the rep counts, though. It's not easy to set it up specifically to hit 6 reps, for instance. You might think it's good for 6, but a different angle and you might only get 3 or as much as 10. The angles and instability factors make it tough to guess, but I think you still get a lot out of it if you give it your all. One reason TT works so well is by regularly changing the routines up. With TRX, it's virtually impossible to do the same workout twice. You just can't get your angles and lengths the same each time. So, you're good for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by "Lost Dog":3azvxx0a
    Oh, and there's no wimpier version. They two TRXs are exactly the same (except for color and accompanying books/dvds). There are plenty of things described in mine that I can't do. But, you change the angle to shallower/steeper until you can do them. Eventually, we'll get there.
    My comment was a tongue-in-cheek reference to my decision to go with the military fitness guide on instead of the civilian one. Thought I might have shot too high....but, since it appears there's around 95% overlap, it probably doesn't matter. Thanks for all the info.

What a bummer that your TRX hasn't shipped yet! I bet they're taking the July 4th holiday off. I used mine today and I am continuously amazed at how easy or difficult you can make the workout depending on what angle you set your body at vs. the TRX. I'm also always amazed at how sore I usually am the next day due to all those stabilizer muscles getting used that usually don't. It really is a great thing to work into your regular lifting/exercise program. How cool that several of us now have them! We can share tips.

You're lucky you don't have to travel much anymore for work. I've had a pretty heavy travel schedule this year and I'm not loving it. I used to be 5-days-a-week on the road before I had my son so it's not so bad now I guess, but one day I would like to tone it down. Hotel gyms are so hit or miss.