Page 421 of 467 FirstFirst ... 321371411419420421422423431 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,420 of 9331

Thread: Personal Alchemy: Changing Fat to Iron

Personal Alchemy: Changing Fat to Iron

I applaud your giving up diet sodas. I make no bones about the fact that I have real issues when trying to cut back on artificial sweeteners.

I have a good friend that is vegan, and while I don't espouse that eating lifestyle, I really do admire how basic and natural all her food choices are. She gets such pleasure out of adding a dollop of honey to some hot tea, or simply having a piece of fruit.

You are showing me up with this whole 'cut back' thing. First you give up beer for a bit, and NOW you give up diet sodas.

Who woulda thunk that it would be me that would be drinking the heavy stuff??

Roland's Team FTW!! Fat Loss Challenge 2012!!

My training blog

My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":bsuo3g6f
    Tom, hello. I enjoyed reading your latest concert and restaurant review, and am glad to read that you've ditched the diet soda. I wish I had something of substance to contribute, but hey, I'm here!
    Quote Originally Posted by "tcoy777":bsuo3g6f
    Great post on the concert. The Wife and I are dying to go to the Symphony again soon. It seems every time we want to go its always Rachmaninov, which is great as I love his work, but would like to hear other composers as well.
    Thanks Actually you answered my biggest question - if anyone actually reads those review posts. Glad you liked them.

Tim - you should. I think I know the feeling because the past few years my subscription has included the Brahms Violin Concerto, which while a great work, wants for a bit of something new after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":bsuo3g6f
    Tom, you should try Flatiron Steaks. They are sooooo good! I like to make one (I broil it or use my indoor grill in the winter) and then cut it in half. Have half for dinner with roasted veggies. Then, the other half I slice up the next day and make a big-assed salad wih the steak on top. I think you'd really like the Flatiron!!
    Quote Originally Posted by "dillytl":bsuo3g6f
    I'll have to try this! I'm not a huge red meat eater, but I do love a good steak!
    I think that's known by another name at the Wegmans here. Top Round Chuck here, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by "Katydid77":bsuo3g6f
    I applaud your giving up diet sodas. I make no bones about the fact that I have real issues when trying to cut back on artificial sweeteners.

I have a good friend that is vegan, and while I don't espouse that eating lifestyle, I really do admire how basic and natural all her food choices are. She gets such pleasure out of adding a dollop of honey to some hot tea, or simply having a piece of fruit.

You are showing me up with this whole 'cut back' thing. First you give up beer for a bit, and NOW you give up diet sodas.

Who woulda thunk that it would be me that would be drinking the heavy stuff??
    I'm only having diet soda with meals - following up on a suggestion of Roland's. And even then not all meals, just a few.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

I'm only having diet soda with meals - following up on a suggestion of Roland's. And even then not all meals, just a few.
    I can't remember the last time I had a diet soda!!! I drink mostly water and green tea, and occassionally I'll have some Crystal Light (they have a few new flavors out - Mojito, Appletini - that are really tasty!)
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

Thanks Tracey, I think I'll stick with water and the occasional diet soda, but i will give them a try.
    Tom

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Ah the joys of a new workout cycle lol. We're experimenting with timed sets (like those in Phase 3 of NROLFA) and I did my first one since NROLFA last year. My ass is tired, literally and figuratively because what the heavy deadlifts didn't hit, the circuits certainly did. Like Tony's other workouts, these are simple but effective, and I am sure I will have an epiphany as to why previous workouts were written the way they were to prepare for this latest. For example - will be doing plate loaded hip thrusts for the first time, so I eventually hope to upgrade to the barbell like a lot of folks here. But I'm not in a hurry as I know I'll be suitably challenged in this workout as is. In that sense, I've not been given anything I could not do anything (save for once, and Tony gave me a suitable modification) I absolutely could not do. Conversely, I've been given things that I could not do prior to working with Tony but was able to do them when they appeared in my program. (BSS comes to mind here.) Or I was able to do them better than prior to my tenure with him. Not sure where I am going with all this other than to say (which is probably obvious) I am liking the training/difficulty curve.
    Tom

I missed the fact that I get to do box squats tomorrow. I think with the other improvements my legs have been showing I should be a bit better than last time I tried.

I'd like to get a good pair of slippers but since I don't know my size I will have to go to a brick and mortar store. Any suggestions?
    Tom

Slippers for deadlifting?
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":1fis4de6
    Slippers for deadlifting?
    Actually no - I didn't even think of that application (maybe I should?) I was thinking for general around the house wear to keep my feet warm.
    Tom

Oh...LOL!! I can't help you there....I just wear my fitness footies/socks around the house!

When I hear slippers, I think of deadlift slippers. You sometimes see them worn in PL competitions. I've not tried them, but imagine it feels as close to barefoot as you can get.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Sounds like you got the perfect workout program for you.

Squats are going to be interesting tomorrow since I went to spinning class for the first time in a while today.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":3pv7qofp
    Squats are going to be interesting tomorrow since I went to spinning class for the first time in a while today.
    Actually, not feeling too bad today. Minor soreness and little stiffness. Still, will go lighter today until I can determine my starting weights for Workout 2.
    Tom

The surprising thing about spin class is that I'll leave it feeling pretty beat-up, but the day after I'm fine. I can't say the same about my other usual workouts!
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":lyyefy0e
    The surprising thing about spin class is that I'll leave it feeling pretty beat-up, but the day after I'm fine. I can't say the same about my other usual workouts!
    Yeah my squat day wasn't too bad though I think I did start rocking off the box on the last set. Still, it was the first time that I'd done back squats in quite a while so that probably was a factor too. As for spinning, I know that when I was done I felt good but in a different way than after a weight workout. Makes a case for doing both.
    Tom

Just stopping by to catch up ...
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

A decent spinning class yesterday but I've had the instructor before and thought she spent too much time standing out of the saddle. The same was true yesterday though jumps (stand up, sit down, repeat) came up twice in the routine. I don't mind jumps except when they're too short, making them popcorn jumps, which I know are contraindicated. The Tuesday instructor does them also but I can kind of forgive her since her class was more interesting/varied. Tuesday's class was near capacity, whereas Thursday's had 5 people including me.

I can see I lost a lot of ground in terms of spinning strength but I am glad to be back at it especially since I think it will help circulation in my legs. Plus, though I do want to do other things apart from the gym, the gym so far has been my sole source of activity. I hope to change that too as the weather gets warmer.

In non-fitness news I renewed my Philadelphia Orchestra subscription today. It's going to be an interesting and fun season with their new music director who has programmed some seldom heard works like Verdi's Requiem and Bach's St. Matthew's Passion.
    Tom

Glad to hear that you're back to spinning. That is my favorite type of cardio! Never heard the jumps you referred to called popcorn jumps, but that makes perfect sense. Don't like those at all! I did a pretty challenging 60 min class this morning and we did a good combo of speed work alternating with hills. Great way to start a Friday morning!
    "It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

My log

I've tried a lot of classes, but spinning is one I've never managed to convince myself to try. I know lots of people love it, but I just can't make myself go... Maybe one day.

It is amazing how much the instructor can affect the class quality - even in a mode that you really love.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

I've posted a link to a classical concert on my classical library thread. The idea being folks can listen and make comments/discussion rather than me just prattling on about recordings only I have.
    Tom

Hai. I'm back. I have lots to get caught up on, but wanted to say hello first
    --- Kate---

My Workout Log