Page 313 of 343 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,260 of 6851

Thread: Smell the Glove

Smell the Glove

running start... heh heh

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

Smell the Glove

Other notables.

Saturday we went standup paddling with friends, then we ate at a great restaurant (Maple Grill) in Fashion Island. We had lamb burgers, grass fed beef burgers, free-range stuff, and some tasty polenta. Not to mention truffled fries. Awesome stuff.

Inspired by the polenta, we made some great "polenta" from masa flour. For those of you not initiated in the subtle differences between corn meal and masa, masa has been soaked, which allows the husks to be removed before grinding. Nixtamalizationit's called, and I believe this to be a healthier version of cornmeal, should one choose to eat cornmeal at all.

"We" made it two ways. First as a hot porridge with cheese and butter stirred in. That night we had it cooled (it solidifies) and pan fried with spices. Good stuff, both ways. Recommended!

I'm really pissed about this, and a big part of me believes that people don't want to know because then they'll be forced to make choices. We all have that to some degree, I suppose, which is why we (as a society) buy things labeled "natural" when we can tell they just aren't.

I wish I had more time to rant right now!

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "davetropeano":ho9w7jal
    running start... heh heh
    I didn't think of that. Not that I'm poo pooing your comment...

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel":3qs3kf6a
    I'm really pissed about this, and a big part of me believes that people don't want to know because then they'll be forced to make choices. We all have that to some degree, I suppose, which is why we (as a society) buy things labeled "natural" when we can tell they just aren't.

I wish I had more time to rant right now!
    I remember reading, when NY made their law about putting kcal info in menus, lots of complaints from consumers. Some people were requesting the "old" menus because they didn't want to know and felt it was ruining their meal to see how bad the food really was for them.

I don't get it... I really don't.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel":2pcqc4ir
    "We" made it two ways. First as a hot porridge with cheese and butter stirred in.
    I would eat almost anything made that way.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    - Mignon McLaughlin

My New Log -- I Can't Get No Satisficing

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":1s6mssco
    I remember reading, when NY made their law about putting kcal info in menus, lots of complaints from consumers. Some people were requesting the "old" menus because they didn't want to know and felt it was ruining their meal to see how bad the food really was for them.

I don't get it... I really don't.
    It's the fight between their conscious and subconscious. Procrastinating is another good example. Put it aside. Don't think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by "RedLefty":1s6mssco
    I would eat almost anything made that way.
    I just loooove butter

Smell the Glove

I've been doing some work on my head/neck alignment, recently. I've always had issues, and decided to at least try to get things under control. I had to take a week off after the last work and adjustments, but luckily my food poisoning coincided. Two birds, one stone!

My first workout after being sick and adjusted was yesterday, and it sucked, and today I'm stiff and sore in new and interesting ways.

FM Woodchops, 2S 30, 12/12/
    FM One-Legged RDLs,2S 25, 12/12/

DB Bench, 60, 12/10/8 - WTF?
    Vgrip Pulldowns, 120, 12/12/11

Scaptions, 15, 20/18/15

DB PUs, 8 - neck a little sore so stopped
    Hammer Curls, 35, 8 - sore neck

I hope things feel better for the next workout, but it's the long haul that's important.

Smell the Glove

Sore neck, huh!? I've made my neck VERY angry with me over the past two weeks despite my efforts at foam rolling and lax ball rolling. Yesterday I finally broke down and went to (what I was hoping was an ART skilled) chiropractor. The jury is still out on whether or not he was helpful. While he did a similar assessment as my ART-hero in Houston, he adjusted my neck and low back...which I'd never had done. I was pretty sure in the split second that the adjustment took place that i had been killed. And then he did some ART. And that was that. Not sure how I feel about his practice. I guess the proof will be in the pudding about whether I get to feeling better anytime soon.

Any tips on what I should expect after my adjustment?

Smell the Glove

Hard to say. I was only a little tender that first night, but she also had done a lot of massage and things on my upper back to keep it from re-screwing up the work. That was the primary reason for my enforced lifting break, so I wouldn't go and screw up her work.

Smell the Glove

Since my last report, things haven't been pretty in the workout dept. The day after my last workout (above), I was extremely sore, even though there were no knew exercise and I'd cut many sets short. My doctor says that it's because my body is moving differently. I buy that, based on the other things I've noticed.

[ul]
    [li]The ROM on my neck is dramatically better (turning left to right) and when tilting left to right.[/li]
    [li]My traps are no longer like steel bands, and both my doctor and wife noticed the difference independently. [/li]
    [li]My upper back muscles now have the ability to "relax." Before, Galya described it as if it was armor (restrictive armor, at that).[/li][/ul]

In addition to all that, I had "food poisoning," and now a low level cold, so activity level is low, walking aside. I'm hoping to be 100% this weekend, and squeeze in a little workout in between all the stuff that I need and get to do.

Smell the Glove

oh, and our book final proof copy is in the mail. If it's good to go, we are good to go!

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel":3f9sqc5n
    Since my last report, things haven't been pretty in the workout dept. The day after my last workout (above), I was extremely sore, even though there were no knew exercise and I'd cut many sets short. My doctor says that it's because my body is moving differently. I buy that, based on the other things I've noticed.
    [ul]
    [li]The ROM on my neck is dramatically better (turning left to right) and when tilting left to right.[/li]
    [li]My traps are no longer like steel bands, and both my doctor and wife noticed the difference independently.[/li]
    [li]My upper back muscles now have the ability to "relax." Before, Galya described it as if it was armor (restrictive armor, at that).[/li][/ul]
    In addition to all that, I had "food poisoning," and now a low level cold, so activity level is low, walking aside. I'm hoping to be 100% this weekend, and squeeze in a little workout in between all the stuff that I need and get to do.
    Dude...I can totally relate. Definitely in the the first and second bullet point. Not sure about the last one. I picked up a cold Sunday night and today after my deload workout I was VERY pooped...which is NOT normal. I'm ready to feel better! Hope you get your 100% this weekend!!! Big hugs!

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel":1m18fo6s
    Since my last report, things haven't been pretty in the workout dept.
    Like RedWifey I can totally relate.

Some idiot bug got up my a@# and I decided to do a Fight Gone Bad crossfit workout. My shoulder hasn't been the same since - and to think I was doing the workout as a metcon prep for a mud run... Lately, my IT band on that side is causing problem (that's a first for me) and my ankle/achilles mobility seems restricted. Couple that with a general low grade cold/sinus thing and Oct/Nov have sucked workout wise.

All in all, things are on the mend now thanks to more rest, some unilateral work, soup, sleep, and lots of band/cable/mobility work. At least I hope they are.

Get well Roland. And CONGRATS on having the final proofs of the book!

Smell the Glove

I got back to the gym last night. Sort of rebreaking in sorta thing.

FM Woodchops, 1S 70, 12/12/12
    FM One-Legged RDLs,1S 50, 12, 70, 12/12

DB OH Press, 45, 8/6/6
    Bat Wings, 25, 2x10s/2x10s/2x10s

Scaptions, 15, 20/18
    Step Ups, box 3, 15/15

I felt pretty weak and tired, but it's okay, what with the lingering cold still hanging on.

Quote Originally Posted by "davetropeano":3nyjcfny
    Like RedWifey I can totally relate.

Some idiot bug got up my a@# and I decided to do a Fight Gone Bad crossfit workout. My shoulder hasn't been the same since - and to think I was doing the workout as a metcon prep for a mud run... Lately, my IT band on that side is causing problem (that's a first for me) and my ankle/achilles mobility seems restricted. Couple that with a general low grade cold/sinus thing and Oct/Nov have sucked workout wise.

All in all, things are on the mend now thanks to more rest, some unilateral work, soup, sleep, and lots of band/cable/mobility work. At least I hope they are.

Get well Roland. And CONGRATS on having the final proofs of the book!
    Thanks, Dave!

Sorry your shoulder is banged up. What's causing the IT band issue? Is that something chronic?

Smell the Glove

Galya and I started a podcast a couple of weeks ago. We are getting ready to record #2 this weekend, but you can check out Episode #1 right here!

Smell the Glove

TomK and I just finished listening to your first podcast and enjoyed it immensely and loved getting to "know" you better. Thanks Roland and Galina, we look forward to listening to future recordings.

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":xscts4gt
    TomK and I just finished listening to your first podcast and enjoyed it immensely and loved getting to "know" you better. Thanks Roland and Galina, we look forward to listening to future recordings.
    Thanks! We just put up #2 this morning. I think #3 might be an interview, so that will be fun.

Smell the Glove

I made your pumpkin cheesecake tonight... Thinking about you guys off and on all night! Sending big hugs!!

Smell the Glove

Quote Originally Posted by "RedWifey":364jgqgt
    I made your pumpkin cheesecake tonight... Thinking about you guys off and on all night! Sending big hugs!!
    hugs back! I'll have to make some of that soon. Mmm... pumpkin...

Smell the Glove

Not many workouts recently, but we did a few miles of walking on the beach, plus another long walk with my sister's dog while we were in Santa Barbara.

Last night, hit the gym after a lot of foam rolling.

FM Woodchops, 1S 70, 15/15/15
    FM One-Legged RDLs,1S 70, 15/15/15

DB Pushups (10)3
    Bat Wings, 25, (15s*2)*2

Scaptions, 15, 20/20/12
    Step Ups, box 3, 35, 10/10
    H Curls, 35, 8/8

6 mile hike, this morning, now off to a lunch meeting to plan a cooking class/nutrition seminar for a local gym!

hasta!