Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Biskit

Pat's Training/Nutrition Log: 1 year till our wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by "Griffty Cent":qc8498mu
    Thanks, Deb. I think the idea of the gatorade/whey is that you need fast-acting carbs (particularly dextrose) and protein immediately after your workout to get the nutrients to the muscles (or whatever) and having some before and during gets the process started sooner? I think it has to do with the insulin. I'm clearly not an expert either, but that's my understanding. If anybody reading this can give me a better explanation that would be great. I don't really have any starchy carbs or sugar during the day or night, they are only in that workout window. I could always go back to oatmeal/whey depending on what I read up on. I do miss oatmeal and wheat toast. I think I'm going to get the TNT book today (my sister works at Borders so she can get it for free), and I'll go from there.

Still tinkering! Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, I think I understand what you mean about depleated glycogen stores immediately after workouts. So liquid carbs may be the way to restore this depletion? That is what I understand it to mean. But my further understanding is that a resistance training session does not deplete the glycogen stores as much as an endurance session. Again, I may not be entirely accurate, but it is my understanding.

Understand there are good carbs that do your body good. Rolled oats, whole grains in the form of breads, pastas, etc., sweet potatoes...fruit.

Anyway. My level of education in graphic design does not make me expert in any of this. I just try to read, learn, and follow the regimen that makes the most practical sense for me.

Deb

These articles spell it out more clearly than I can.

Sports Nutrition and Diet - You are what you eat - Part I
    Sports Nutrition and Diet - You Are What You Eat - Part II

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":3tofi822
    I don't think you'd have any carbs in your pre-/post-workout nutrition on TNT's Plan A.
    I see. I'll have to adjust accordingly, then. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by "Biskit":3jdi0xg4
    Yes, I think I understand what you mean about depleated glycogen stores immediately after workouts. So liquid carbs may be the way to restore this depletion? That is what I understand it to mean. But my further understanding is that a resistance training session does not deplete the glycogen stores as much as an endurance session. Again, I may not be entirely accurate, but it is my understanding.

Understand there are good carbs that do your body good. Rolled oats, whole grains in the form of breads, pastas, etc., sweet potatoes...fruit.

Anyway. My level of education in graphic design does not make me expert in any of this. I just try to read, learn, and follow the regimen that makes the most practical sense for me.

Deb

These articles spell it out more clearly than I can.

Sports Nutrition and Diet - You are what you eat - Part I
    Sports Nutrition and Diet - You Are What You Eat - Part II
    Thanks, Deb. I think we're all trying to learn more and more. Thanks for the advice.

After a bad morning mood-wise and a couple Christmas cookies, I got out of the doldrums by going for an hour-long walk with the weighted backpack plus one half of a TT bodyweight circuit. Granted I should have done those in reverse order, but whatever it's something. Fitness has not been on my mind and I did NOT want to do anything today after skipping a couple days on Thursday and Friday. I got my A and B workouts in this past week so that was good enough for me.

I think I'm leaning towards the TNT Diet for after the holidays. I just don't think Adam's Diet is working out for me as much as I'd want and I think I'd be more comfortable knowing I was on a meal plan than just sticking to principles that I can easily rationalize not following. Just like this log and NROL have helped me stick to a 'plan' and being afraid to really break it, as opposed to just 'going to the gym,' I think following the TNT plan will help in the same way. I'm gonna go read it again at Borders to finalize my decision.

Sorry I haven't been posting on anybody's logs, I'll get back to that soon. I hope everyone has a good holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":1orqp0wo
    Just remember that your overarching goals are to make a fitter, stronger and healthier you. In that sense, try not to be so focused on your set goals so that you don't see the forest because of the trees.
    stingo sorry i missed this comment, thanks a lot. very true, i am making a big deal over a set goal when the major goal (the 'healthier me' one) is still on target. thanks.

also Deb, my protein has 22g per scoop, i was just using 3/4 of a scoop for the pre-shake and a full scoop for the post-shake.

2 lbs a week is not bad fat loss. That's the number I shoot for becuase I've always been told that is about right for losing fat and not muscle. Lighten up Francis it sounds like you are doing good.
    Past performance is not indicative of future success.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Proud Club House member since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by "Deserve":1mv0cime
    Lighten up Francis
    fantastic quote, just fantastic

Ditto what Stingo said. I think you're making great progress. It's tempting to want to "speed things up" and do something more drastic, but that's unlikely to have lasting results.
    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." -- Mark Twain

Last 24 hours has not been model nutrition to say the least, but whatever. Chicken parm, 4 glasses of pinot noir, Christmas cookies here and there, French toast...that kind of weekend with fiancee and friends (Sinatra party last night) but since that's all I've really eaten my calories probably aren't out of control. It's not like it's cookies on top of protein shakes and omelets. It's all over by Tuesday night so I've got nothing to worry about long-term. Plus, it's Christmas so I'm cutting loose.

I did another weighted walk this morning for 40 minutes, maybe a bodyweight workout to burn some calories before bed. Other than a short walk tomorrow morning, nothing exercise-related going on for Christmas Eve or Christmas (something about working out on a holiday that's just wrong). New Years will (obviously) be a drinking night, but nothing in site for after that. TNT starts after Christmas and FL III starts after New Year's. By mid-February I expect to have made a ton of progress.

Gabe, it's not that I haven't made progress but there are definitely places where I can improve and I think TNT will really help there just so I don't have to think about it as much.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by "RacerBill":3dlmwj3o
    Ditto what Stingo said. I think you're making great progress. It's tempting to want to "speed things up" and do something more drastic, but that's unlikely to have lasting results.
    Thanks, Bill. I'm trying to keep it all in perspective.

I'm interested to see how TNT works for you. I've got a cut coming in about a month and I'd like to see if I could do something more structured than "stop eating".

btw. Merry belated Christmas Pat.
    Past performance is not indicative of future success.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Proud Club House member since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by "Deserve":3i84jluz
    I'm interested to see how TNT works for you. I've got a cut coming in about a month and I'd like to see if I could do something more structured than "stop eating".

btw. Merry belated Christmas Pat.

Merry belated Christmas to you, too, Gabe.

I haven't bought the book yet, I might get it tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

Not in the health/fitness mood whatsoever right now. Gorged on Christmas cookies and other stuff the last two days, which IMO is perfectly alright...as long as I get back on the wagon immediately. Haven't yet done that today, had a sausage-egg-cheese breakfast sandwich this morning on my future father-in-law's insistence and have had nothing but coffee and a couple cookies since. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back in the right mindset, I still feel Christmasy and I'm focusing on other things. I wonder if I've gained any weight, but as long as it's a couple pounds I'm trying not to care.

Since this is my impromptu off-week from FL II, I can either skip the gym all together the rest of this week and eat right, or I can eat right and do intervals and cardio the next two days. Haven't decided. I should probably do the latter since I have to get some momentum back.

I hope everyone had a good holiday and let loose a little bit.

Pat, we took a break too. Tomorrow is back on the wagon day as well. I feel excited, actually, to stop eating like crap. Good luck to you, too!

mel

Biskit

I took a couple of days off too. And boy, those cookies are good aren't they? I think you're right in thinking some time off was in order. It's the holidays. Enjoy your family and friends and get back to workouts as soon as you feel the urge. I've done some running and intervals are tomorrow. I worked out today with Tony, since I took some time off from work. It was nice to get back to the weights.

Take care.
    Deb

Last 24 hours has not been model nutrition to say the least, but whatever.
    Mine was a lot longer than 24 hours, Pat!

I ascribe to your philosophy as well. We train hard all year and keep good track of our diets. Christmas is payback for me. In my family, food is a lot of the Christmas tradition and I enjoy it to the max and don't feel guilty at all.

Hope you had a great Christmas, Pat. The next one you'll be celebrating with your new bride!
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." - Henry Ford

[font=Comic Sans MS:126fqccl]"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss[/font:126fqccl]
    [font=Comic Sans MS:126fqccl][/font:126fqccl]
    "Life is no brief candle to me. It is sort of a splendid torch which I have got hold of for a moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." - George Bernard Shaw

You didn't know? Cookies are good for you this time of year.

Wow took a few days off from this thing. As I wrote last time, I let go for a few days and just had fun. Two big drinking days (Saturday and of course New Years) full of holiday food, peaking last night when I probably consumed about 7,000 calories. Head pounding this morning, good times had by all.

Fat Loss III will start this week as well as the TNT Diet. I'm going low-carb again starting tomorrow including pre/post workout, so that will be good. It will be hard mentally to get into the mood again of eating well, but I at least did it for the first half of yesterday.

I started my new job yesterday and that is going to take up a ton of my time. I didn't treat anybody but I will starting tomorrow, so I've been reading up on all my material and I imagine I'll have to do that most afternoons and evenings for a while. That means I'm going to attempt going to the gym at 5:00 AM. Tomorrow will be the test run of that and I'll just do some intervals. I haven't really looked through FL III so I don't want to rush it tomorrow, I just need to get there!

I hope everyone had a great New Year's!

Biskit

Happy New Year, and good luck on everything.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by "Biskit":7l0b10fs
    Happy New Year, and good luck on everything.

Deb
    Happy New Year to you, too, Deb, and to everyone else. Thanks. I still haven't posted on anyone's logs in a while, I promise I'll get to them.

Hit the gym at 5:15 this morning to do intervals and cardio. Did a 5-minute treadmill warm-up (3.5 MPH 5.0 incline) followed by 10 minutes of elliptical intervals and 10 minutes of steady-state elliptical cardio. I was out of there before 6 AM and was pretty tired.

No way am I going to be able to workout after work, I'm going to have to much to do especially during the first few weeks of my career, so the early mornings are it.

I immediately feel stressed at this place, I feel like nutrition and training are going to be my escape (I feel like I need to cleanse the nervousness and negative thoughts by eating spinach and broccoli). I suppose that's better than pizza and beer.

Couldn't get out of bed at 4:30 as planned. Damnit. I'll do a couple of bodyweight circuits this afternoon to make up for it and then try again for FL III tomorrow. If I don't write something here later about working out, feel free to make fun of me. Off to work.