Page 106 of 121 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2417

Thread: No magic pill

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

No magic pill

Good luck on the house and the job hunt!

No magic pill

Thanks and thanks. I've actually started getting responses from jobs that weren't robo-generated, but little more than, "thanks, you've been passed on to the hiring manager" shmata, but whatevs. Still no word on the house, but both realtors involved seem to think that the other offer, which was in before ours, is not as good and could fall apart soon. Waiting blows. Really just need to get everyone in a conference room and have it out for about an hour instead of playing the telephone game.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

No formal workout yesterday, but I did spend about ninety minutes with my student teaching her proper form on a few core exercies and demonstrating various movements. Yeah, that was a lot of demonstrating, and having not done many of those movements in nearly a year, let's just say I'm a bit sore and only managed some SMR today.

I did write her up a six-day routine that she can get in four times before her test, mostly upper-body on a bit of a Westside split (slightly higher reps) with a single lower-body day since she's well above benchmark there. We'll see what happens.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

NROLA dynamic warm-up

SUPERSET
    front plank (elbows on floor), 60RI
    --60sec @ BW, 60sec @ BW
    +
    side plank (elbow on floor), 60RI
    --30sec @ BW, 30sec @ BW (per side)

SUPERSET
    split squat (front foot raised 4"), 60RI
    --12 @ BW, 12 @ BW (per side)
    +
    rowing, 60RI
    --500m @ 2:01.1, 500m @ 2:02.8

SUPERSET
    2-arm KB swing, 60RI
    --15 @ 36kg, 15 @ 36kg
    +
    push-up (hands raised 4"), 60RI
    --10 @ BW, 7 @ BW

Notes:
    --This may look eerily similar to NROLA Phase 1 Workout A because, well, it is. I subbed a couple movements to (a) consolidate space, (b) use available equipment, and (c) hopefully achieve better early success.
    --I realized this weekend that, between the stresses of work and a small list of injuries, I've added 2-3 inches to my waist since I started my job 2.5 years ago, a pace of one inch a year. Now, if RedLefty is reading this, his mind has instantly traveled to where mine already went--too bad that isn't the case. At any rate, now that I'm free of overly wonky workday schedules until August, I figure I have a good three months to get back into a semi-regular routine. For now, the goal is to do two workouts per week--that should get me to mid-June on this phase before a re-evaluation.
    --No nibbles on jobs yet, though most of the ones not garnering an immediate "thanks but no thanks" only recently closed the posting period, so there's sure to be a couple weeks of hemming and hawing. I'm applying to jobs about once per 2-3 days, which isn't too bad considering the quickly-dwindling pool of positions I could stand for more than a week. Still aiming to have something secured by June 1. We'll see.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

NROLA dynamic warm-up

standing TB anti-rotation hold, 2 x 30sec/side @ black TBx2, 60RI
    front plank (elbows on SB), 10 x 10sec, NA RI
    side plank (feet raised 6"), 5 x 10sec/side, NA RI

SUPERSET
    1-leg KB contra RDL, 60RI
    --12 @ 12kg, 12 @ 12kg (per side)
    +
    KB offset shoulder press, 60RI
    --12 @ 18*/12kg, 12 @ 18*/12kg, (per side)

SUPERSET
    2-arm KB bottoms-up OH squat, 60RI
    --8 @ 12kg, 8 @ 12kg
    +
    1-arm KB bent row, 60RI
    --10 @ 12kg, 10 @ 12kg (per side)

* denotes 18kg static overhead, 12kg dynamic

Notes:
    --In the bonds of holyyYYYY MOLEYImouttashape! That is all, for now.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

Quote Originally Posted by "Phaedrus49er":3fzfwaaa
    --I realized this weekend that, between the stresses of work and a small list of injuries, I've added 2-3 inches to my waist since I started my job 2.5 years ago, a pace of one inch a year. Now, if RedLefty is reading this, his mind has instantly traveled to where mine already went--too bad that isn't the case.
    That is indeed too bad. If I could add three inches, that'd give me, like... four and a half inches! With that much swinging around, though, I'd be insufferable.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    - Mignon McLaughlin

My New Log -- I Can't Get No Satisficing

No magic pill

NROLA dynamic warm-up

SUPERSET
    front plank (elbows on floor), 60RI
    --60sec @ BW, 60sec @ BW
    +
    side plank (elbow on floor), 60RI
    --30sec @ BW, 30sec @ BW (per side)

SUPERSET
    split squat (front foot elevated 4"), 60RI
    --12 @ BW, 12 @ BW (per side)
    +
    rowing, 60RI
    --500m @ 2:02.8, 500m @ 2:01.5

2-arm KB swing - 8 @ 36kg

Notes:
    --Aborted this one since, on the ninth swing, my lower back just clinched up tighter than fresh meat's butthole his first time in a prison shower room. No clue what it was, other than perhaps having sat slumped for several hours at my work desk today, but everything still felt good, if a little ho-hum, but I credit the stress and sleeplessness of the whole Amendment One fiasco going on right now. At any rate, I obviously can't find my heating pad, so I'll be shuffling around for a bit.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

Yep, more serious than I thought. Takes me about ten pain-filled minutes to get out of bed. I was hoping it was only muscular, but that was just the initial shock; not definitely seems more spinal, so I'm once again off my feet for awhile. I swear I'm just going to do planks and nothing else for the rest of my life :tongue
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

man...

Sorry you're hurt.

No magic pill

I think you're cyber-contagious :tongue
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

No magic pill

If it's any consolation, I've pretty much determined the incident stemmed from a lack of glute/hip activation prior to the movement despite having completed a couple good sets of lunges. Looks like my workouts (when I get back to them) will be 75% activation and prehab rather than 33-50%. Woo.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

The human body can be an awesome thing. After nearly three days of nearly complete debilitation--was starting to think I'd herniated a disc what with how the most random movement would almost bring me to my knees--driving home from work today, everything between my chest and my knees started to tingle... from relaxation. Apparently, my body decided I wasn't going to do anything (else) stupid in the near-future and figured it was okay to drop the defense. Still very sore and weak, but I may avoid the doctor after all.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

Your body is a wonderland.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    - Mignon McLaughlin

My New Log -- I Can't Get No Satisficing

No magic pill

Quote Originally Posted by "RedLefty":1hbwbrsn
    Your body is a wonderland.
    I'm parked over by the commissary.

So this morning, I was able to touch my toes without debilitating pain or walking my hands down my legs. There is still a LOT of weakness, but I think some targeted rehab will address that pretty quickly. Might be back at it in another week or so. Woo.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

CORE PERFORMANCE REDUX

SMR

movement prep
    --hip crossover (feet flat) x 6/side
    --dynamic calf stretch x 6/side
    --hand walk x 6
    --inverted hamstring x 6/side
    --forward lunge + elbow to instep x 6/side
    --back lunge w/ twist x 6/side
    --drop lunge x 6/side
    --lateral lunge x 6/side
    --sumo squat-to-stand x 6

rope-assisted isometric stretching

prehab
    --YTWL (on floor) x 12
    --pushup plus (hands on floor) x 12
    --SB reach/roll/lift x 12
    --glute bridge w/ adduction x 12
    --quadruped circles x 12/side
    --front plank (elbows on floor) x 30sec
    --dynamic side plank x 12/side

rowing - 12:00, 2251m @ 2:39.9/500m

Notes:
    --Yep, right about a week back to action. After a number of false starts, I decided that it's time to return to the program on which I felt I got the most benefit, even if the programming protocols are a tad outdated. If there's one thing I remember about CP, it's that I never felt I had leeway to overextend myself, which I'm prone to do without imposing some limits. This is what brought me back from the blown hamstring five years ago (last month!) and, when accounting for age, had me feeling that I was in the best physical shape of my life. The real challenge will be keeping up with the schedule, what with work stress (if I stay), new job (if I go), new house (happening regardless), and all the wonders of relocation that go with that, plus checking in weekly at my soon-to-be-vacated place through the growing season since the garden is too well established for transplanting, to say nothing of the lack of a garden at the new place (high on the early priority list).
    --I felt okay to start on this today after some light gardening and construction work over the weekend, though I did stiffen up and rediscover a little pain today, but CP's "hold your horses!" style kept that at bay for this workout.
    --Oh yeah, the job thing. Had a very, very good interview on Friday, though I'm not holding my breath since I've been through the HR process at work before (this job is still with the school, just in another location). There's already an interim person doing the job for which I interviewed, and more often than not, if that person interviews for the permanent position, they get the job unless their qualifications and/or performance are far below minimum benchmarks for the permanent job. Weird thing is that, on Thursday, I got the call to schedule the interview. Then a lady from the building where I'd be working came in asking about our digital signage setup. She took my card on the way out, and then an hour later, I got an email from this very same interim person I'm trying to displace. Made for some interesting conversation in the interview. Oh well, just waiting and seeing now, on this and two other jobs I applied for... think I'm trying to get out?
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

SMR

Swiss ball prehab
    --lateral roll x 12/side
    --Russian twist x 12/side
    --crunch x 12
    --lying opposites x 20sec/side
    --reverse crunch x 12
    --bridging x 20sec
    --hip crossover x 12/side

Notes:
    --Nice, low-key follow-up as DOMS is setting in a tad. Sad, I know. The only iffy movements today were the lying opposites (major imbalance) and bridging (low back had a mild anxiety attack but powered through).
    --Was toying with a spurt of keto to get me to the beach, which is still planned for the third week in June since the plan is to be in a new job by then, but that fell apart pretty quickly However, I can get onboard with some general calorie reduction, and after a not-so-great reaction to beer (AGAIN!) this past weekend, I'm laying off the stuff for a couple weeks and will instead cap off my nights with a gin-and-tonic or something similarly light. I know I like and appreciate beer, but I sure don't love it anymore.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

SMR

movement prep
    --hand walk x 6
    --drop lunge x 6/side
    --lateral lunge x 6/side

prehab
    --YTWL (on floor) x 12

Notes:
    --Much more muscle recall this time around, though obviously not nearly where it should be. Program calls for including the strength training portion here, but I will not be doing that for a few weeks as I want to focus on regaining movement patterns while also making sure my back is 100%. Rowing will be on the first and fifth days of the cycle.
    --Speaking of my back, sitting for prolonged periods is definitely aggravating it, and I can feel it grumble a little during some of the above movements, but it's nothing of major concern so long as I continue taking it slowly. Knee's still good, though
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

SMR

Swiss ball prehab
    --lateral roll x 12/side
    --Russian twist x 12/side
    --crunch x 12
    --lying opposites x 20sec/side
    --reverse crunch x 12
    --bridging x 20sec
    --hip crossover x 12/side

Notes:
    --Yup.
    --Officially did not get the job I thought I was a shoo-in for. Interesting, but whatever. Didn't make it past the initial HR screening for the other two on-campus jobs. One I knew was a very long shot so not terribly surprised by that one. The other, though... our HR department has been sucking donkey nuts since, well, forever, but my current department is actually in the middle of some hiring, and the applications we get from HR are confusing at best: some are nowhere near qualified. We also know of some other people who applied, are qualified, and would be great, but HR didn't send them to us. Weird, but I used this as leverage in an email I sent to this other job's hiring manager (bypassed HR) and requested that she give me some consideration since my experience pretty much point-for-point matched the job description. It was either brilliant or suicidal, but I don't care. I need a new job, like, yesterday. I applied to three others today as well and have two more applications going in as soon as I finish this post.
    --House inspection came back. Yeah... it seems the sellers spent a boatload on updating the place without addressing some fundamentals: no whole-house ground on the electrical system, major bathroom leak getting to the floor joists, broken shingles, uncapped chimney, systems venting into the attic or crawlspace rather than outside. Considering the price we're paying, they're fixing the major stuff (if not all), or we walk.
    --Been a helluva day, making for a straight-tequila night.
    No Magic Pill (the log)

No magic pill

SMR

movement prep
    --hand walk x 6
    --drop lunge x 6/side
    --lateral lunge x 6/side

prehab
    --YTWL (on SB) x 12

rowing - 4K, 18:52 (2:21.5 pace)

Notes:
    --Easier for me to row a distance and know how to pace myself rather than row a time and guess. I actually paced out well until the final 1000m when the groove was greased well enough to start cranking it out. That doesn't sound good at all.
    --Four more job applications sent in today with three pending tomorrow morning (killing time at job #2). Didn't think not getting that job would hit me this hard, but it did make for a killer workout. Just hope I can continue that momentum, though my back isn't shy about reminding me that it's still healing.
    No Magic Pill (the log)