Page 276 of 294 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,520 of 5865

Thread: Your Mother Was A Hamster And Your Father Smelt Of Elderberries

Your Mother Was A Hamster And Your Father Smelt Of Elderberries

Nice playing there BFF! You are becoming quite accomplished. What is this power training program? Pointers please for those who have been away for awhile...
    woman's professional full contact football
    fightingfillies.com

Nice work on the Telemann and the bluegrass. As for canons, Pachelbel wrote the most famous one, but if you've ever sung "Row, row, row your Boat" as a round you've got an idea of what a canon sounds like. As a side note, some composers like Bach sometimes would write out riddles, with the expectation the musicians would figure out their parts.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Ran 2.5 miles outside again today... still had significant back/right hip pain for the first mile, but... I'm not going to become a major runner. If anything, today was really more of a jog as I am a bit stiff/sore from Monday's DL's anyway

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":1ypc8fs3
    I am doing the same thing with Jonathan Coulton's When You Go. Figuring out a piano arrangement from an a capella arrangement.
    Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by "kfisherx":1ypc8fs3
    Nice playing there BFF! You are becoming quite accomplished. What is this power training program? Pointers please for those who have been away for awhile...
    Aw, thanks! I'm working on the violin/fiddling, and really enjoying it.

Power Training - I'm doing dos Remedios's book/program... 12 weeks done in 3 week cycles... except I'm doing the DL's more on the 5-3-1 template instead of the reps specified in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":1ypc8fs3
    Nice work on the Telemann and the bluegrass. As for canons, Pachelbel wrote the most famous one, but if you've ever sung "Row, row, row your Boat" as a round you've got an idea of what a canon sounds like. As a side note, some composers like Bach sometimes would write out riddles, with the expectation the musicians would figure out their parts.
    My favorite Canon is "Soft Kitty" from "Big Bang Theory" . I remember doing Pachelbel's Canon in high school orchestra; I've just always been so impressed by the ability to make all the notes fit when composing in that style... but with our Pachelbel arrangement, we had more than just a simple canon going, and if you're not 1st violin, it's BORING!!! lol... And I'm glad I don't have to play Bach's riddles!
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

many of Brian May's guitar solos are canons using delay
    Approach with caution - I'm keto-adapting

WARNING: Written in minutes and fact-checked in seconds via Google. May contain unsafe levels of self-righteousness. Past cleverness is no guarantee of future results.

Training Log

"Please! One piece of pie won't make the difference and there's plenty of time to catch up! Each individual piece of pie is totally worth it."

A cellist friend has said that Pachelbel hated cellists just like Rob Pavonian in his comedy sketch - why? Because the cello part in his canon is so boring. She (cellist friend) has since found an arrangement that spreads the love around so her quartet plays the original and the new one.
    Tom

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Nice videos

Are you about ready to have a schedule change with DS heading back into school? Or did that already happen and I missed it in my "fog"

[quote="TomK":tcns9au7]Nice videos

Are you about ready to have a schedule change with DS heading back into school? Or did that already happen and I missed it in my "fog" [/quote]

Thanks!
    School actually started for DS 2 weeks ago... my schedule doesn't change a whole lot since he's old enough to be left alone anyway when he's not in school. Both my kids are quite aware of the "don't mess with mom's workout schedule" rule. Mom is NOT happy when she can't get to the gym and yoga!

Saw two women today at the squat rack, got all excited... and then realized they were just being idiots. They had their 5# db's set up in the squat rack and were just hogging space doing stupid "toning" crap there .

I also saw THREE different women yesterday when I was out jogging who were wearing various wrist and ankle weights and/or carrying 1# dumbbells (if you can call 'em that). I guess fall is the time to tone up? Ugh!!! LIFT SOMETHING REAL!!!!!!!!!

[color="Blue"]Power Training (by dos Remedios)
    Cycle 1 WEEK 9
    Workout B
    [/color]

GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE HIGH-REPS!!!! Can't wait for next week!!!

Warmup: NROLA Mobility
    Explosive Movement - Power Hang Clean
    4x5x55#
    Knee Unilateral - Bench Step-Ups
    4x8(e)x20#(e) **I got a higher bench than usual today, and I felt it!
    Hip Bilateral - Cable Pull-Thru
    4x8x42.5#
    Vertical Push Unilateral - DB Shoulder Press
    4x8x30#(e)
    Vertical Pull Bilateral - Pullups (assisted)
    4x8x(-40#)
    Horizontal Push Unilateral - Standing 1-Arm Cable Press
    4x8x35#(e)
    Horizontal Pull Bilateral - Cable Row
    4x8x100#

Treadmill - walk/run 4/6 x 1 min each x 25 min

Yoga - 60
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":2b2e45g1

Saw two women today at the squat rack, got all excited... and then realized they were just being idiots. They had their 5# db's set up in the squat rack and were just hogging space doing stupid "toning" crap there .

I also saw THREE different women yesterday when I was out jogging who were wearing various wrist and ankle weights and/or carrying 1# dumbbells (if you can call 'em that). I guess fall is the time to tone up? Ugh!!! LIFT SOMETHING REAL!!!!!!!!!
    I saw their "cousin" at my gym today. A young girl, lovely and toned, :tongue doing some overhead presses with the 5# DB's. I noticed her because she asked to take the largest Swiss ball that I was using to do Jack knives, to do her bouncy ab crunches. I gave my ball happily and that gives secret permission to stare, right???.... Once upon a time I used green 5 # weights in a step aerobics class, so I figure I have little room for criticism, and instead tried to remind myself that when you know better you do better. I hope you inspire those squat rack hogs to use it appropriately!

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":26hmpbh0
    I saw their "cousin" at my gym today. A young girl, lovely and toned, :tongue doing some overhead presses with the 5# DB's. I noticed her because she asked to take the largest Swiss ball that I was using to do Jack knives, to do her bouncy ab crunches. I gave my ball happily and that gives secret permission to stare, right???.... Once upon a time I used green 5 # weights in a step aerobics class, so I figure I have little room for criticism, and instead tried to remind myself that when you know better you do better. I hope you inspire those squat rack hogs to use it appropriately!
    Yeah, I know I used to be guilty of some pretty awful gym mistakes (lots of "arm" work, using the Smith machine to squat)... but I've learned and wish that other people would be more open to learning too. There are two ript chicks where I lift now, and we kinda smile at each other... but they seem to do a body-builder workout (lots of curl varieties and isolation work) but at least it's not that pink-db toning crap .

Did yoga 75 today...

I'm entering the last 3-week part of Power Training, and now comes decision time. Do I do another 12-week cycle of it, or do something else???

Thoughts??? I'm open to ponderings... I own quite a few books and would be willing to purchase if necessary... It has to be something that allows me to lift 2/week, as that 3rd day just doesn't happen with my schedule. I get plenty of accessory strength-work with yoga... I like(d) 5-3-1 but it was almost too little (I guess I coulda/shoulda put in more assistance work). I'm not against NROLA or more Power Training or maybe something Madcow-ish???
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

Or you could get that non-drink'n nutritionist of yours to come up with something or some suggestion. I hear he'll do that.
    fightingfillies.com

Quote Originally Posted by "kfisherx":x85m570r
    Or you could get that non-drink'n nutritionist of yours to come up with something or some suggestion. I hear he'll do that.
    Yup I followed AA's programming for several months. Good times.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by "kfisherx":1khq2i7x
    Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":1khq2i7x
    Yup I followed AA's programming for several months. Good times.
    Now there's a concept... I haven't done his program before (even though I report my workouts to him), so I forgot about that! Email sent

Day off from workouts today... AF arrived in the wee hours of the morning today (still not quite on a regular schedule, "only" 2 days early). I give up. I cannot sync carb-week with pms if that stupid beeyotch AF is going to be so damned erratic...
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

Yoga 90 this morning

Carb week starts tomorrow (well, with free meal tonight, I guess). I have been hovering at the precipice of a weight milestone, and I was hovering at it last month right before carb week. It took me the whole 3 weeks to return to it, which sucks, so I need to be cautious with my overall kcals this week - I wanna bust through into new VT!!!!

Discussing workout plans with Alan (as suggested by my wise friends here) and formulating a plan...
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

I finally got to hear your playing. Bravo!!

I'm sure Alan will provide plenty of great input with regards to training. Are you thinking about reconfiguring nutrition for pre or post workout?
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":20q3bruw
    I finally got to hear your playing. Bravo!!

I'm sure Alan will provide plenty of great input with regards to training. Are you thinking about reconfiguring nutrition for pre or post workout?
    Aw, thanks!
    As for training, of course Alan's reply was entirely research-based with all kinds of "x reps for y goals..." kinds of stuff. I waded through it and concluded that both Power Training and 5-3-1 are actually good choices for me (lol). So, probably going to do another bout of Power Training unless Alan corrects my interpretation of his reply :tongue.

Decided to do (as also advised) a deload week (it would be every 4th, with my rest weeks every 8-12) instead of barging along, so I just screwed around today as far as weights go.

LOTS of interesting bs at the gym today, since many people were off work. Grunting bicep curlz abounded, as did a balding old dude in hiked-up elastic shorts wearing a weight-belt while he did tricep work :tongue :tongue:tongue

Med Ball Warmups
    KB Swings
    Step-back lunges
    Lat Pulldowns
    A few pushups/planks
    Cable Row ** Lighter pull exercises were chosen because I get plenty of "push" in yoga

Treadmill - Run 4/6 x 25 min

Yoga 60
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

Yoga 90 this morning... enjoying carb week, NOT enjoying weigh-ins...

Super frustrated by stupid little non-important thing today... I sold 2 pricey (Lululemon) shirts on ebay that were too big for me. One woman has been a complete PITA and actually returned it because it didn't exactly match the color of the photo, but now she wants it back but doesn't see how she should pay the shipping since it wasn't her fault (!?!?!?).

Then, the other shirt-purchaser sent me a complaint today. She said the shirt SEEMED fine but after she ran and sweated in it, it smelled really bad and there must be something wrong with it so I should refund her $.

Let me get this straight. The shirt WAS fine. You sweated it up. Now it smells. And you think I should take responsibility / financial hit for this?????

W.T.F. is wrong with these assholes?????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":3tl6rwbw
    W.T.F. is wrong with these assholes?????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

umm, they're assholes
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by "Jewel22":2uydrrg3
    umm, they're assholes
    Actually, #2 is a stinky asshole.... the worst kind.

LOL at NMNM!
    fightingfillies.com

Were you so disgusted by my last comment that you can't post? If so I am sorry.