Page 92 of 168 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 3347

The Slacker's Running Formula

What was your opinion on the CrossFit gym?

Hope you have a blissful run today!
    You have Running Day , we have Ascension Day here ..hmm somehow I think you're going to levitate
    Friend of mine has a very cool FB pic with she and friends on a hill where half of them are jumping high in the air , so they seem to be levitating.. it's been on mind since then.
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Curious to hear your thoughts on the CrossFit gym, too. I pay laughably little at Bally, having been a member for ages, but if/when the chain finally goes under, I'd like to know my options. I don't see myself getting into the CrossFit WODs, but using the facilities and equipment could make it worth joining. Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and put together a home gym.

Anyway, nice workout there, and I'm curious to hear how you feel about Vibrams over time. I don't have any, but I think my toes would not dig being separated, either.

It is always fun to go back through running logs and look at progress. Sometimes a note I wrote about a particular run puts me right back on the trail/road/track where I put in a memorable workout. Very cool.
    Best,
    Tim

I always loved the feel of sweat on my shirt; stand back, son, and let a man work. - Bruce Springsteen

Whatever comes along during your competition or training should be viewed through the lens of wonder and thanks. - Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":22wbt1vl
    And, this morning, I started my day by running 10 miles. Quite fitting because it's also National Running Day. I'll also run/walk in my Vibrams tonight at the track. It'll be very subdued, only a mile and some spare change.
    Happy national running day. Of course I didn't run on national running day, but if I knew there was such a thing I am pretty sure I would have put in a Metabolic Overdrive session. Oh well...
    "When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem."

-Emil Zatopek

I wound up not doing the additional run yesterday - there were afternoon thunderstorms.

Today was 5 miles at an easy pace. It felt so tedious, probably because it was hot & humid, though I think it was due more to the DOMS I'm feeling everywhere. Even my chest and arms were hurting on today's run! Glad I pushed through the tedium, however.

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":pqnwjn3r
    Well then happy National Running Day!

Have you got any long term speed goals in mind, like Naive does?
    I have some long-term goals, such as running a half in 1:45 or less. I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull that off, but I'll try. That's something to aim for. A sub-50 min. 10K would be great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by "dillytl":pqnwjn3r
    Happy National Running Day!
    Hope you got your runnin' on!

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":pqnwjn3r
    What was your opinion on the CrossFit gym?

Hope you have a blissful run today!
    You have Running Day , we have Ascension Day here ..hmm somehow I think you're going to levitate
    Friend of mine has a very cool FB pic with she and friends on a hill where half of them are jumping high in the air , so they seem to be levitating.. it's been on mind since then.
    I wish I could levitate, but even having a kick mid-stride would be nice, too. I've had my running videotaped, and what a rude awakening that was. I'm definitely far from graceful, LOL.

Since I'm researching road & trail races in Japan, I came across this website for an expatriate running club based in Tokyo. They posted a bunch of photos from this year's Tokyo Marathon. It's interesting to see the form difference between the runners up top, and the presumed African participants on the bottom of the page. Some of them look like they're levitating & running at the same time!

My CrossFit gym thoughts are at the end of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by "T-Runner":pqnwjn3r
    Curious to hear your thoughts on the CrossFit gym, too. I pay laughably little at Bally, having been a member for ages, but if/when the chain finally goes under, I'd like to know my options. I don't see myself getting into the CrossFit WODs, but using the facilities and equipment could make it worth joining. Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and put together a home gym.
    I like the CF facility here; I call it the "fun gym," for the following reasons:

-lots of space, because there are no BS exercise stations, such as the Smith machine, taking up square feet
    -it has 2 suspension training areas, set up with TRX and gym rings
    -we can do stuff like tire flipping, and even sprints
    -it is generously set up. There are 5 basic squat racks, lots of kettlebells, DBs and barbells, chalk, medicine balls, sandbags. I'm probably overlooking a few other pieces of equipment, too.

However,I've never been to a CF workout. They do theirs early in the AM, when I'm either running or catching up on sleep. I've seen the end of a CrossFit Kids session, though. It seemed pretty decent, and focused primarily on having fun and calisthenics. I think the instructor just wanted the kids to move around as much as they could.

I know that the latest CF workout entails plenty of handstands. I've noticed so many people there doing them for the last 2 weeks. Then I looked at the whiteboard, and handstands are part of their latest circuit. It's kind of funny looking at them!

Quote Originally Posted by "eternal_beginner":pqnwjn3r
    Happy national running day. Of course I didn't run on national running day, but if I knew there was such a thing I am pretty sure I would have put in a Metabolic Overdrive session. Oh well...
    Eh, that's alright. You got Hypertrophy to think about!
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Sorry your run wasn't as good as you hoped for.. almost had wanted to comment with a warning to not overdo your 'breaking-in' of the new KSOs. Running or walking too far on a totally different 'shoe' can cause injuries at worst. Upon seeing you mention to have not run as much I thought 'uh oh!' .. fortunately it was simply the weather bogging you down.
    The pics of the Toky marathon look good! Fun people to hang out with in case you're going to live close to Tokyo and .. yep, these pro runners really do seem to levitate!

Description of the CF gym sounds exactly what I'd hoped for.. lots of space and fun equipment yet plenty of basic stuff like REAL squat racks! Aaaaarrggggh why o why is all of this so scarce in regular gyms that are jampacked with dumb machines!
    That's a rhetoric question, since I know the solution: it's the ease of being able to handle way more people , just like how the industial age came on and allowed much more products to be made having everyone do repetitive stuff for just a small part of the process. You can handle like 5-8 times more people with a machine than with free weights! At least on the same space!
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":31ndjwbu

Eh, that's alright. You got Hypertrophy to think about!
    Well I got in a run last night. Better late then never I guess. Happy belated running day!
    "When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem."

-Emil Zatopek

6/3/11

1-Arm DB Snatch
    25x10
    30x10x2

Negative Chinups
    5x20 secs.x2

BB Bent-Over Rows
    55x6
    55x8
    60x6
    60x8

High to Low Woodchoppers
    20x12
    25x12

Stability Ball Pass
    12x2

My PWO meal today: carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Oh yeah!

Tomorrow morning I'm traveling to Joplin, MO to assist with cleanup & recovery efforts. So I get to weasel out of doing my Saturday long run in exchange for something much more worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":192o36mt
    Description of the CF gym sounds exactly what I'd hoped for.. lots of space and fun equipment yet plenty of basic stuff like REAL squat racks! Aaaaarrggggh why o why is all of this so scarce in regular gyms that are jampacked with dumb machines!
    That's a rhetoric question, since I know the solution: it's the ease of being able to handle way more people , just like how the industial age came on and allowed much more products to be made having everyone do repetitive stuff for just a small part of the process. You can handle like 5-8 times more people with a machine than with free weights! At least on the same space!
    I'm going to miss the CrossFit gym when I leave, because it has everything that is necessary, and no crap! But I can imagine a random gym-goer stumbling upon it think to herself it's not that great, because it doesn't have a treadmill, lol. You raise a valid point. The machines attract so many more patrons. And a lot of people think they're effective.

Let me add that I'm grateful I didn't drink the mainstream fitness Kool-Aid. I could've been one of those gym bunnies who pedals 1 mile an hour on the stationary bike each day, and wonders why I'm getting no results. What a scary thought!

And I actually didn't do my 5 miler yesterday in my Vibrams. I've been heeding advice and slowly breaking them in. So I've been walking in them instead. But I hope I can run a mile at the track/in the grass next week in the KSOs.

Quote Originally Posted by "eternal_beginner":192o36mt
    Well I got in a run last night. Better late then never I guess. Happy belated running day!
    Woohoo!!!

You are lucky you can work out at the CF gym. The ones around here are only for people doing the whole crossfit thing -- WOD or whatever -- and you can't just join to use the equipment.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":zv96q464

Tomorrow morning I'm traveling to Joplin, MO to assist with cleanup & recovery efforts. So I get to weasel out of doing my Saturday long run in exchange for something much more worthwhile.
    I'm not a carrot cake fan... that and cherry pie, I can live without. Most other desserts, though... yum!!! :tongue

You have officially come up with THE best reason to miss a long run. Ever.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

mmmmm carrot cake, my second favourite cake
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":362deg84

Good on you! You are excused from the run.

Is this something the post is doing?

AWESOME!!!!!! DEFINATELY a great reason to miss the long run!
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":2hd6p0di
    6/3/11

1-Arm DB Snatch
    25x10
    30x10x2

Negative Chinups
    5x20 secs.x2

BB Bent-Over Rows
    55x6
    55x8
    60x6
    60x8

High to Low Woodchoppers
    20x12
    25x12

Stability Ball Pass
    12x2

Looks like a great workout. You earned the carrot cake. One of my absolute favorite things.

Good on you for going to Joplin. Not weaseling out of anything in my book. Travel safely.
    Best,
    Tim

I always loved the feel of sweat on my shirt; stand back, son, and let a man work. - Bruce Springsteen

Whatever comes along during your competition or training should be viewed through the lens of wonder and thanks. - Dan John

I'm still tired from yesterday. The St. Louis Americorps chapter mobilized a bunch of us from Ft. Leavenworth, and we all headed together on buses well before the sun rose. We spent most of the morning & part of the afternoon clearing out brush and debris. Even though we made a dent in the mess, it's still looking bad over there.

Ah... now I get it.. you helped to clear the mess of the tornado that struck Joplin.. remembered Missouri, but not Joplin. You guys (Merkans) have really been hit hard with the natural disasters recently, including one in MA.
    Ergo-log news site

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":2w1ypnmm

Now that sounds like an awesome PWO meal. Sign me up!! That's awesome that you are involved in helping with the recovery efforts.

-Emil Zatopek

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":37s3tbbd
    I'm still tired from yesterday. The St. Louis Americorps chapter mobilized a bunch of us from Ft. Leavenworth, and we all headed together on buses well before the sun rose. We spent most of the morning & part of the afternoon clearing out brush and debris. Even though we made a dent in the mess, it's still looking bad over there.
    Somehow never realized you're in Leavenworth. My dad grew up there, and my grandparents still live there, so I've spent a fair bit of time in that area.

I had heard Joplin was still a mess...sounds like it'll be ages before it's restored.
    Best,
    Tim

6/4/11

Did 10 miles today, split into 2 parts:

-6 miles outside, in 90F-something temps
    -Then hoofed it to the gym, and ran 4 miles on the treadmill

The 6 miler was a good reintroduction to hot-weather suffering. :tongue

Quote Originally Posted by "T-Runner":1lsoprtz
    Somehow never realized you're in Leavenworth. My dad grew up there, and my grandparents still live there, so I've spent a fair bit of time in that area.

I had heard Joplin was still a mess...sounds like it'll be ages before it's restored.
    DH & I got to Leavenworth only last July (he just finished ILE, military officers education), and we are about to leave any time now! If only DH's orders for his next assignment can get fixed. He's been assigned to Japan. But because of the earthquake, they'd put a temporary hold on family members moving there. It's been lifted, but his paperwork keeps getting kicked back with the previous restriction. Gotta love government efficiency. We've had a blast in Leavenworth, though. I love the area, not just because of KC.

It's going to take a long time for Joplin to recover. What was spooky is that there were stretches of town where the tornado had barely touched. So their buildings either had superficial damage, or were unblemished. But if you just went a half mile down the road, everything in that section was completely destroyed.

It's going to take a long time for Joplin to recover. What was spooky is that there were stretches of town where the tornado had barely touched. So their buildings either had superficial damage, or were unblemished. But if you just went a half mile down the road, everything in that section was completely destroyed.
    I can't imagine what it must be like to see it in person......the pictures on TV are just crazy!
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

6/7/11

Cariocas

Walking Lunge
    15lbs.(e)x8(e)x3

Pushups

3x8

DB Bench Press
    20lbs.x8
    25x8x2

Planks
    60 secs., 75 secs., 90 secs.

Also did a bunch of bird-dogs

I must have looked like Ed Grimley while doing those cariocas. If only I had the highwater pants and a triangle to complete the effect. And a cowlick.

Was thinking of doing 15 miles tomorrow morning. But I have a dull ache on my lower right back, near my hip. All that sitting I did on Saturday while traveling did a number on me. So I dunno. Maybe it's time to get better acquainted with cross-training instead, meh.