Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Humbly ask for help, pushing 600 pounds.

Humbly ask for help, pushing 600 pounds.

Congratulations on making continued progress! Yes many people have a "forward head lean". the PT can give you exercises to compensate and you'll be fine.
    Joe
    Joe Cannon MS CSCS NSCA-CPT
    writer/blogger, personal trainer/ certifies personal trainers
    Facebook: Joe Cannon MS CSCS
    Twitter: JoeCannonMSCSCS
    My books:
    1. Personal Fitness Training Beyond the Basics
    2. Nutritional Supplements: What Works and Why
    3. Nutrition Essentials: A Guidebook for the Fitness Professional
    4. Personal Trainer Practice Test
    5. Personal Trainer Big Book of Questions & Answers

Main website
    :
    www.Joe-Cannon.com

Supplement website: www.Supplement-Geek.com

Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

bethanyboo

Congrats on your progress!!

Comenius

Agree, great progress, and serious congratulations!

Amazing progress and determination! You have a lot to be proud of!

Keep up the great work!
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

Great job.

As for pull up replacements, use the lat pulldowns, for lunges, maybe step ups?

R0B_FURY

Hi there,

I just wanted to recommend a book that you might find very intriguing and very helpful in your quest in becoming a healthier person. I used to weight about 300 pounds and now I'm down to 215. When I was obese, one of my worst enemies was my pattern of negative thinking. So, my brother recommended a book for me to read called "Awaken the Giant Within" by Anthony Robbins. I read this book and my outlook on life, and my life in general, has vastly improved. Perhaps it can help you too.

Good luck man, keep up the good work!

Adent

This is such an inspirational thread, congrats on your progress, willingness to learn and refusing to take the easy way out.

I stopped by here this morning to see what's been happening, and stumbled onto this thread...

What an unbelievable story! It is just truly amazing reading about you, your willpower, and determination to improve your life. Congratulations on all the work you've done so far. I look forward to reading your upcoming updates. Keep it going!

AJS

Just crunching some nmbers shows: 387/556 = .6960 or 70% So, in 6 months you have lost almost 1/3 of your original weight which is really good work. If you were originally a 200 pound man carrying a 356 pound person around you are now only carrying a 187 pound person around which is almost half the original starting weight. In 6 months you have reduced the burden on your body by half. That is great news. Now at this weight your risk for health problems is still very high but you have obviously shown focus and dedication in making this change so you should be happily looking forward to better health and stamina, increased freedom and a greater sense of well being. =)

Biggdogg

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates, rather busy and lack of computer has kinda kept me away, but got it back so wanted to give an update. I went and got weighed again today, and tipped in at 358 pounds. So basically 560 on jan 26th, and today is 7 months from that day and ive lost 202 pounds. I honestly couldnt be more pumped. There have been some injuries popping up as ive said in the past. First off my shoulder/neck problem has been taken care of. It seems my poor posture spending tons of hours at the computer and slouching my head over caused muscles in my neck to send referred pain to my shoulder. So stretching and lifting again has made me completely pain free in that area, so thats awesome.

Then there is the more worrying news. Ive been having knee problems for about a month now. After an MRI, xray, 3 weeks in PT and a trip to the ortho today they told me it was chondromalcia caused by years of carrying so much weight. Sometimes when i bend, right to the left of my right kneecap you can feel a little lump pop into place, and actually see it through my skin pop. At times when i sit down, squat to pick something up, go up or down stairs or inclines/declines it feels like it tracks into the wrong slot and i get massive dull pain and cant put pressure on it or bend it any further, while extending it is just fine. So the PT has basically said I cant do any lower body stuff for the time being, which is frustrating as im still lifting, this is the 3rd straight week of the breakin workout that ive been able to finally go consistantly without missing a day and suprisingly enough in just 3 weeks im seeing some definition. I have been given a prescription for a knee brace which i will get fitted into tomorrow before i go lift. It has impacted the breakin program im doing so ive added some stuff to just do something but cutting the lower body stuff is pretty depressing. Will add a bit more to my journal but just wanted to give an update to my original thread.

Biggdogg

Also on here and elsewhere ive read that proper shoes can help while lifting, and possibly make life at least somewhat easier on my knees. ATM im just wearing my normal nike running shoes when i work out. Any suggestions on something that would be more suitable? Hopefully that runs big, i wear a 14-15.

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

Quote Originally Posted by "Biggdogg":1r53zhpo
    Also on here and elsewhere ive read that proper shoes can help while lifting, and possibly make life at least somewhat easier on my knees. ATM im just wearing my normal nike running shoes when i work out. Any suggestions on something that would be more suitable? Hopefully that runs big, i wear a 14-15.
    sorry about the knee. The shoes might help, but I have no real advice. Lifting shoes can actually shift your center of gravity forward, putting more strain on the knee, if I'm not mistaken.

I would post this question in the Injuriesforum. There's a post with guidelines on asking the questions, too. http://forums.jpfitness.com/injuries...reporting.html

at your point all you really need to do is move more. you don't need to follow a structured program or anything specific, you just have to move as much as possible. walk everywhere you go instead of taking the car, take the stairs instead of the elevator, play sports with your friends, etc. just keep moving! eventually once your bodyfat percentage is less than 20%, then start following a structured program that involves weight-lifting and stuff, but don't even worry about that at this point

also, you should probably be taking a lot of fish oil. at your weight, it's safe to assume your insulin sensitivity is fairly terrible
    Various populations thrived on diets that were what we'd call high fat, low fat, or high carb; all meat or all plant; indeed, there have been traditional diets based on just about any kind of whole food you can imagine. What this suggests is that the human animal is well adapted to a great many different diets. The Western diet, however, is not one of them. - Michael Pollan