Page 105 of 214 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 4261

Ask Me How I Built This Butt

Well, I've LONG avoided TGU's, but I supposed I should probably at least TRY them. Maybe while I am going my warm-up for DJ40, I could try to throw a couple in there and see if I can figure it out.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Given my recent problem with my back/knee Tony gave me pull-throughs instead of deadlifts this week. Good to know I won't be the only having the joy.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":byi5jrba
    Well, I've LONG avoided TGU's, but I supposed I should probably at least TRY them. Maybe while I am going my warm-up for DJ40, I could try to throw a couple in there and see if I can figure it out.
    I have no doubt at all that you can do them well. Fortunately or unfortunately for me my PT has been coaching me on them for so long that she has memorized every one of the "cheat" movements I might employ. It isn't even like I try and cheat, but with fatigue comes compensatory movements: a lifted leg, a caving knee, a pointed toe, a grind through the shoulder (I have a million of them). And frankly, anything more than the top of the 4 reps on one side with the KB held overhead leads to diminished blood flow into the raised arm, and I really have to concentrate. Today on the last set I released the the KB, wiggled my fingers, and then cranked out the last rep.

Try them!

Wow, did you have to make it sound so FUN?? Ha!
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":2pg1a9is
    Given my recent problem with my back/knee Tony gave me pull-throughs instead of deadlifts this week. Good to know I won't be the only having the joy.
    Misery loves company, right? I recommend a pause for 3 seconds at the top. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":1lwa0x58
    Wow, did you have to make it sound so FUN?? Ha!
    I forgot to mention before that after a fourth rep juggling clowns will dance around you.

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":264doeux
    Misery loves company, right? I recommend a pause for 3 seconds at the top. You're welcome!
    Actually, I've done a 10 second pause... If ever there was proof of relativity that would be it - it's a very long 10 seconds. That much more opportunity to squeeze the glutes.
    Tom

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

[quote="stingo":6d6btii8]Actually, I've done a 10 second pause... If ever there was proof of relativity that would be it - it's a very long 10 seconds. That much more opportunity to squeeze the glutes.[/quote]

Ten seconds? Really? Is that a TonyG suggestion? I am doing an iso hold on the hip thrusts which is so intense it causes my eyes to close, forces me to concentrate on my breathing, makes my arms shake and totally prevents me from noticing whether or not anyone else is even in the gym except TomK who is calling time for me in 5 second intervals. Perhaps if I was working harder on the pull throughs I wouldn't notice the curious glances?

[b]
    Wednesday, April 4th

[/b]Foam Roll
    Good Girl Abduction, 115x20x2
    Isometric Hip Thrust, (ALAP), 135x20sec, 185x45sec, 47sec, [color="Red"]55sec[/color]
    Zercher Step Ups, 45x10(e)x2 **
    Pause Goblet Squats, 25x10, 30x10
    Seated Leg Curls, 55x30x1
    Side Planks, 45 sec x1(e)

**Tried the high bench for the Zerchers, and failed about halfway through the second side of the first set. TomK jury rigged a bench plus plate using the lower bench and it seemed a better height to do these.

55 seconds!!! my lower back hurts just thinking about how bad my form would be!

i've been doing the half TGUs with no weight (which looks ridiculous) just to get that part of the motion down. hopefully at some point i will actually be able to GU...

Wow, that's an INTENSE workout!!
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":1tetl0po
    55 seconds!!! my lower back hurts just thinking about how bad my form would be!

i've been doing the half TGUs with no weight (which looks ridiculous) just to get that part of the motion down. hopefully at some point i will actually be able to GU...
    Its all glutes, no back, for the iso holds. Your back, like mine, would love it. Seriously I used to have so many issues with my back that have resolved by strengthening my glutes.

So you are going from lying on the floor to the sitting up position of the TGU?

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":1tetl0po
    Wow, that's an INTENSE workout!!
    Sooooooooo goooooooood! (now that it's over.......)

This made me chuckle!!
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":2o55qxjv
    Its all glutes, no back, for the iso holds. Your back, like mine, would love it. Seriously I used to have so many issues with my back that have resolved by strengthening my glutes.

So you are going from lying on the floor to the sitting up position of the TGU?
    ideally my back would love it, but i feel like partway through i'd get lazy and saggy :tongue

i'm doing the Dan John version that TomK very kindly posted for me earlier in this log (i just checked and it's post 2018). so basically, up to the bridge part. i have to watch some more video to figure out how to get the leg swept without looking like i'm playing Twister!

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":143sn176

You actually did "Bad Girl" if it was the abduction machine.....

or as I prefer to name them "very good girl"

Quote Originally Posted by "dillytl":143sn176
    This made me chuckle!!
    NMNM is always entertaining

Yes - I never did pull- throughs prior to working with Tony. The length off the hold changes, but it's always there as it makes the exercise more difficult and therefore more effective.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by "dillytl":zmed0fkc
    This made me chuckle!!
    Hee hee, I debated which one was good girl and which one was bad girl. Purposely chose the abduction as good! :tongue

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":zmed0fkc
    ideally my back would love it, but i feel like partway through i'd get lazy and saggy :tongue
    That's not happening under TomK's watchful eye. In fact he said I was starting to sag on my first set today and I would have sworn I hadn't moved at all!

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":zmed0fkc
    i'm doing the Dan John version that TomK very kindly posted for me earlier in this log (i just checked and it's post 2018). so basically, up to the bridge part. i have to watch some more video to figure out how to get the leg swept without looking like i'm playing Twister!
    As far as I am concerned, once you have done these up to the hip thrust position, all the hard work is done, and the rest is ruffle and flourish. (My trainer had me do the lying to sit as a core warmup for what seemed like forever, for me the hardest part, and I begged to finish the entire move). I think that is why Dan John stops the movement there. The rest is concentration and shoulder stabilization. If you raise your hips high enough in the bridge you will have no difficulty getting your knee down and sweeping your your leg back.

Quote Originally Posted by "TomK":9d49y2yt
    You actually did "Bad Girl" if it was the abduction machine.....

or as I prefer to name them "very good girl"

NMNM is always entertaining
    Ha! We cross posted. I chose the name purposely. For the sake of entertainment! Glad you approve.

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":9d49y2yt
    Yes - I never did pull- throughs prior to working with Tony. The length off the hold changes, but it's always there as it makes the exercise more difficult and therefore more effective.
    Pull throughs are new to us too, obviously since we totally mangled the form two weeks ago. I am going to try it your way (ala TonyG) on Saturday.

I discovered last night that if I crank the incline on the treadmill up and climb it long enough, my hips will wake me up to remind me at 1:30 in the morning that it has been a long while since I have done cardio consistently. I have no idea how high the incline setting goes on the machine, but I know it at least goes up to 13. I don't know why but I thought it only went to 10. Tom and I are registered for a 5K Charity run in July (the same race that convinced Tom he needed a new hip when we ran it last year) so I need to get this butt I am building back in run mode. This will be interesting.

Friday, April 6th

Foam Roll, Clamshells, Glute Bridges, Runners Lunge

TGU, 12kg x5(e)x3**

ViPR, Jumping Jacks, 10x2
    ViPR, Lateral Lunge, Twist, Press, 8(e)x2
    ViPR, Lateral Shuffle, 10x2

**This is the last of the 12kg TGUs and on Monday we begin with the 16kg KB. This is also the final installment of this program and we move to a Strength focused segment.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover from the chillest dog in Boston!

poor Zeke

Happy Easter back to you and Tom. Hope the Easter Bunny is good to all of you
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by "Jewel22":2hshw7eo
    poor Zeke

Happy Easter back to you and Tom. Hope the Easter Bunny is good to all of you
    Happy Easter to you as well, I hope your party is loads of fun for the kiddies and grownups alike!

Saturday, April 7th

Foam Roll, runners stretch

Crouched X Band Walks, 2(e)x20

Rack Pulls, 95x6, 115x6, 125x6, 135x6, 145x6
    Front Squats, 45x8, 95x8, 105x8, 115x8**
    Cable Pull Through, 25x10, 30x10
    Lying Leg Curls, 35x30
    Standing Cable abduction, 17.5x12(e)
    Stretch & Foam Roll

**Changed to Front Squats from Zercher Squats. The pressure of the bar at 100 pounds last week was leaving bruises on my arms, which was limiting the squat I felt. The choice was to use the thick Hampton Pad which would add some instability to the bar, or switch to the Front Squat. Strangely I remember absolutely hating the hold on the front squat when I first did them, and now they feel just right. Maybe the Zerchers would feel better in time too, but for now I am switching over because the priority is rebuilding the strength I have lost as my hammie healed.