Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 365 Movies in 365 Days: 2011 Edition

365 Movies in 365 Days: 2011 Edition

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head

19. Heaven Can Wait - This is the 1943 version, not the 1978 Warren Beatty remake. It tells the story of playboy Henry van Cleve (Don Ameche) and his fate in the afterlife. What unfolds though, is van Cleve's life in remembrances. Though the opening of the film seemed kind of slow to me, it's not until later on that the framework it establishes can be fully appreciated. While not on my list of favorite films, I think it's definitely worth seeing.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait

20. Erik the Viking - A playful satire from Terry Jones, about a Viking who comes to think that there may be more to life than raping and pillaging. Tim Robbins does a great job in the title role, as do Jones himself and fellow Pythoneer John Cleese. If you've seen a Monty Python film like Life of Brian, you kind of know what to expect. While not as good or controversial it does have some funny bits.
    Tom

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking

21. The Piano - Watched this at the behest of a friend. Takes a while to get going but accelerates as the film goes on. A good film, not without its artsy premises, just not one I think I'd re-watch.
    Tom

1. Burn After Reading 2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 3. True Grit 4. The Karate Kid 5. Little Children 6. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe 7. Shall We Kiss? 8. Babies 9) Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 10) The Girl Who Played With Fire 11) Last King of Scotland 12) Depicable Me 13) Exam 14) Inception 15) Boy A 16) District B13 17)Dreamer 18) The King's Speech 19) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next 20) The Social Network 21) Pandorum 22) Everybody's Fine 23) Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi 24) The Town 25) 3 Ninjas 26) Stardust 27) Source Code 28) Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 29) The Kids are All Right 30) Sky High 31) Breach 32) Tangled 33) Crazy heart 34) Megamind 35) Love and Other Drugs 36) The Tooth Fairy 37) Major League 38) 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up 39) Monsters

40) Sherlock Holmes -- Fun summer action flick with a slight nod to the classic Holmes stories full of brilliant observations and intellectual prowess. Downey Jr. and Jude Law had good chemistry, and it was fun but maybe not quite good enough to warrant a sequel. You can tell Guy Ritchie had a good time making this film.

41) Solitary Man -- Excellent drama about a man who sorta went haywire and blew up his life after receiving troubling news from a doctor. Michael Douglas plays the lead in a way that doesn't gloss over any of his slime but still leaves him at least somewhat approachable. Danny Devito and Susan Sarandon are the heart of the film and do a beautiful job, along with Jenna Fischer. This one polarized the critics but I feel like I "got it" and appreciated it.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    - Mignon McLaughlin

My New Log -- I Can't Get No Satisficing

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano

22. The Hangover - Had this queued long before the sequel was announced and am just getting to it now. An amusing film which has its moments, and actually makes a statement larger than the on screen shenanigans. I just wonder though - the alcohol makes them forget the evening, but yet it is also (ironically) what helps makes it memorable as well.
    Tom

1. Burn After Reading 2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 3. True Grit 4. The Karate Kid 5. Little Children 6. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe 7. Shall We Kiss? 8. Babies 9) Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 10) The Girl Who Played With Fire 11) Last King of Scotland 12) Depicable Me 13) Exam 14) Inception 15) Boy A 16) District B13 17)Dreamer 18) The King's Speech 19) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next 20) The Social Network 21) Pandorum 22) Everybody's Fine 23) Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi 24) The Town 25) 3 Ninjas 26) Stardust 27) Source Code 28) Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 29) The Kids are All Right 30) Sky High 31) Breach 32) Tangled 33) Crazy heart 34) Megamind 35) Love and Other Drugs 36) The Tooth Fairy 37) Major League 38) 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up 39) Monsters 40) Sherlock Holmes 41) Solitary Man

42) Ip Man -- Chinese martial arts flick that makes good use of character-building and narrative to make you care about the fights. High scores for choreography and stunts, low scores for the overly nationlistic tone that got in the way a few times. Overall enjoyable.

43) The Men Who Stare at Goats -- I thought this was better than its harsh reviews. No, it doesn't really feel like a full movie, but there were a lot of fun scenes and George Clooney was perfect. Light fun.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    - Mignon McLaughlin

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover

23. Black Swan - Finally was able to see this film and very glad I did. After so much hype about it I didn't know what to expect, but found that the description on paper CD holder was apt: a psychological thriller indeed. Definitely deserves the accolades that it's garnered. I thought it was brilliant - well worth seeing, though it may help to see the ballet Swan Lake first.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan

24. Mildred Pierce - Another Netflix queue choice that has been on queue for so long I don't remember how it got there. A fine movie though with a great performance by Joan Crawford in the title role. Here she plays a mother who does whatever it takes to keep her children happy.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce

25. X3: The Last Stand - The end of the trilogy, which was pretty decent but not quite as good as the two previous films. The way some characters were handled wasn't satisfying at all, and like the other two films, the singular focus on Wolverine kind of threw the film for me. Still, there were some interesting twists and turns, so while not a bad film, it's not the hit I would've wanted.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand

26. Kundun - Visually stunning telling of the story of the fourteenth Dalai Lama, and how he deals with the growing Chinese encroachment on Tibet's borders. If nothing else, the film shows (through its contrasting political systems) just how different the two nations are. Well worth seeing as the acting is really good, and the story is richer from the addition of philosophy and religion in addition to history.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand

27. No End - A dark, brooding film from one of my favorite directors, Krzysztof Kieslowski which is three stories in one. The first is the death of a lawyer, Antek, who appears afterwards in the film as ghost. The other two stories are based around what happened after that event. One looks at Antek's wife Ulla and how she is coping with her loss, and the other is Darek, one of Antek's clients who is imprisoned for organizing a strike. (I believe the film came out in 1982, so Solidarity had only been in existence one or two years). As with all Kieslowski films, the images presented have meanings beyond what they show. I can't say I grasped all of it, but I think I got enough of it to get the general gist. And I wouldn't mind seeing it again sometime.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand | 26. Kundun | 27. No End

28. Sunshine Cleaning - An above average indie dramedy about two mismatched sisters who go into business themselves. To its credit, it avoids a some of the cliches of sister films, but it also delves a bit deeper than one might expect based on the opening.[/QUOTE]
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand | 26. Kundun | 27. No End | 28. Sunshine Cleaning

29. Hellboy - A decent superhero story from Guillermo del Toro. It doesn't quite match his previous efforts, like Pan's Labyrinth, but worth a look.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand | 26. Kundun | 27. No End | 28. Sunshine Cleaning | 29. Hellboy

30 and 31. Ip Man and Ip Man 2 - Above average martial arts film duo starring Donnie Yen. While it takes the historical approach (1930's forward), both films use a bit more creative ways to get the fights going - not the timeworn - "You killed my father, prepare to die." sort of revenge plots. In fact they raise some interesting issues along the way. Definitely worth watching though I thought the first was better than the sequel.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand | 26. Kundun | 27. No End | 28. Sunshine Cleaning | 29. Hellboy | 30. Ip Man | 31. Ip Man 2

32. Ugetsu - A subtle tale of how blind ambition can ruin a life. Set in medieval Japan, the country is rife with civil war, but despite the incipient danger, Genjuro wants to become rich by selling his property, and Tobei, who wants to become a samurai - but both are peasant farmers. The tale spins out the lengths they both go to attain those dreams, and the consequences of their actions.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand | 26. Kundun | 27. No End | 28. Sunshine Cleaning | 29. Hellboy | 30. Ip Man | 31. Ip Man 2 | 32. Ugetsu

33. Bigger, Faster, Stronger - A very candid look at steroids and their use through the eyes of someone who has used them as well as his two brothers, who still do. It calls into question just what performance enhancement is, and ponders why some options are ok, and others are not.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand | 26. Kundun | 27. No End | 28. Sunshine Cleaning | 29. Hellboy | 30. Ip Man | 31. Ip Man 2 | 32. Ugetsu | 33. Bigger, Faster, Stronger

34. Stone of Destiny - A fine indie film built around four university students and their attempt to steal the Stone of Scone from Westminster Abbey to return it to Scotland in 1950. While there were some funny parts, I'm not sure I can call it a comic adventure like Netflix does. To me, it looks at what freedom means to an individual and to a people, and the lengths to which they will go to achieve and protect that freedom.
    Tom

1. 7 Zwerge (7 Dwarves) | 2. Wristcutters: A Love Story | 3. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog | 4. The Big Lebowski | 5. My Fuehrer | 6. Proof | 7. Slumdog Millionaire | 8. Zombieland | 9. Outsourced | 10. Dean Spanley | 11. - 13. Toy Story Trilogy | 14. Alice in Wonderland | 15. The Red Baron | 16. Inception | 17. X2: X-Men United | 18. Fat Head | 19. Heaven Can Wait | 20. Erik the Viking | 21. The Piano | 22. The Hangover | 23. Black Swan | 24. Mildred Pierce | 25. X3: The Last Stand | 26. Kundun | 27. No End | 28. Sunshine Cleaning | 29. Hellboy | 30. Ip Man | 31. Ip Man 2 | 32. Ugetsu | 33. Bigger, Faster, Stronger | 34. Stone of Destiny

35. Best. Concert. Ever. - Jonathan Coulton turns in a great live concert from San Francisco, featuring his hits and a few personal favorites. The ukulele arrangement of Code Monkey is really good, but I have to say I liked all the songs on the set list. Some personal faves - The Future Soon, Code Monkey, Re: Your Brains, Shop Vac, and his cover of Baby Got Back. The cool part of this is the packaging - you get a DVD of the show, but also a CD as well. If you like groups like They Might Be Giants you might want to give this a listen. (Or if you like intelligent lyrics from a surreal or ridiculous premise, along with catchy tunes, put some earprints on it.)
    Tom

1. Burn After Reading 2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 3. True Grit 4. The Karate Kid 5. Little Children 6. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe 7. Shall We Kiss? 8. Babies 9) Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 10) The Girl Who Played With Fire 11) Last King of Scotland 12) Depicable Me 13) Exam 14) Inception 15) Boy A 16) District B13 17)Dreamer 18) The King's Speech 19) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next 20) The Social Network 21) Pandorum 22) Everybody's Fine 23) Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi 24) The Town 25) 3 Ninjas 26) Stardust 27) Source Code 28) Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 29) The Kids are All Right 30) Sky High 31) Breach 32) Tangled 33) Crazy heart 34) Megamind 35) Love and Other Drugs 36) The Tooth Fairy 37) Major League 38) 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up 39) Monsters 40) Sherlock Holmes 41) Solitary Man 42) Ip Man 43) The Men Who Stare at goats

44) Inspector Gadget -- Aw lawd somebody save me. Painfully bad selection for family movie night.

45) Never Let Me Go -- fine I guess, but it made a lot of "best of" lists for critics and I think that's overblown. Probably because it was billed as a sci-fi story, and that's not the case. It's in a semi-sci-fi setting but the narrative is extremely simple, and while it is indeed fiction it's certainly not science. It's supposed to be a great book, but I never read it.

46) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I -- Now we're talking! I wasn't a fan of every HP film, but this one was just right. The stories and films are so much more ominous in the last volume or two, and the filmmakers didn't flinch in showing it all. The actors have also made the transition nicely. Can't wait to see the final chapter, hopefully soon.

47) Kick-Ass -- Very impressive! I'd never read the comics, but the tale was powerfully told and I couldn't believe I was getting this invested in a comic book story. Refreshing change from overhyped, overproduced and bloated stories like some of the X-Men and Spiderman series movies have been.

48) Cashback -- Mistakenly thought I'd reviewed this earlier. Indie flick that on the surface is about a bored young man who discovers he has a strange superpower (the ability to freeze time, and also go without sleeping). But it's really a romance story, and a good one. I like the way his love interest gets more beautiful as the movie progresses, just like our own true loves do as we get to know them better. Oh, and there are boobies.

49) Toy Story 3 -- Terrified my kids last summer in the 3D theater, but during the day on Netflix streaming they loved it. Good story, and just a beautiful and perfect ending.

50) Black Swan -- Whoa. I can't remember a better-told and better-acted movie that made me feel so inside the experience of a psychotic breakdown. Left me and RW rattled for a day or two. Natalie Portman totally deserved the Oscar, and it shows again how horrible a director George Lucas is. How this performance and Queen Amidala came out of the same actress is a facepalmtastic enigma.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    - Mignon McLaughlin

1. Burn After Reading 2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 3. True Grit 4. The Karate Kid 5. Little Children 6. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe 7. Shall We Kiss? 8. Babies 9) Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 10) The Girl Who Played With Fire 11) Last King of Scotland 12) Depicable Me 13) Exam 14) Inception 15) Boy A 16) District B13 17)Dreamer 18) The King's Speech 19) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next 20) The Social Network 21) Pandorum 22) Everybody's Fine 23) Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi 24) The Town 25) 3 Ninjas 26) Stardust 27) Source Code 28) Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 29) The Kids are All Right 30) Sky High 31) Breach 32) Tangled 33) Crazy heart 34) Megamind 35) Love and Other Drugs 36) The Tooth Fairy 37) Major League 38) 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up 39) Monsters 40) Sherlock Holmes 41) Solitary Man 42) Ip Man 43) The Men Who Stare at goats 44) Inspector Gadget 45) Never Let Me Go 46) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I 47) Kick-Ass 48) Cashback 49) Toy Story 3 50) Black Swan

51) Daybreakers -- Pretty cool premise about a world where vampires rule supreme and the human blood supply starts to run out. It was nice to see Ethan Hawke in a fun role and Willam Dafoe chewed up some scenes too. The only letdown was a cheesy moment or two at the end that didn't fit with the tone of the rest of the movie. Still liked it.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    - Mignon McLaughlin