Strict Press from the rack @ nose level, with football bar
    75 x 6
    85 x 3
    95 x 1
    105 x 1
    110 x 0
    110 x 0
    110 x 0

LOL....smart part of me knew I didn't have 110 today. Stubborn part of me wanted it enough to keep trying like an idiot.

DB Bench
    30s x 12
    35s x 12
    40s x 10
    45s x 8

DB Tricep Rockbacks
    20s x 10
    25s x 8
    25s x 6
    25s x 4

Cable face pulls
    4 sets of 10

Tricep pushdowns
    4 sets of 8

Low cable shrugs
    4 sets of 12

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":3vbo68hx
    Definitely wanna see tattoo pics! I'm trying to convince the hubby to let me get nose pierced...ya know, just a little bitty gem, very small...no luck so far.

I adjust my form per your suggestions on my bench today. I was hoping it would make the lift easier; it didn't, but at least I feel better about my form.
    I will post pics of the finished product. It's just outline right now.

I wish I could coach you in person. Efficiency-wise, the way I told you should be better....it's just gonna take a bit used to. But it should help you get stronger, faster once you are used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by "soonermark99":3vbo68hx
    Thought you would enjoy this video. Nothing pretty about this event... Just pure strength on display. I like how he just dump 405 lbs over his back side like it's nothing.
    Yep, that's pretty awesome. My kinda man!!

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Light Accessory Day

RDLs
    (135x8) x 5

Reverse Hypers
    4 sets of 10

Single-leg Reverse Hypers
    4 sets of 10 per leg

Green Band Standing Abs
    4 sets of 12

KB Side Bends
    4 sets of 20 per side

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":2djfnhgr
    Thanks!! Felt really good to be able to push it a little with those conventional deficit deadlifts Tuesday night. I can't wait to learn the oly lifts!!!!
    Will you be learning the full lifts or the "power" versions?

BLZ's Training

Yesterday I set up the power rack like you did for your overhead presses. Not sure why I didn't think of that set up before but it is such a better set-up than what I used to use. I was able to add 5 lbs to my overhead press for 3 sets of 5. So maybe I can even add a wee bit more weight next time. Thanks for the idea!

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "L'ilJ":16ndvmq5
    Will you be learning the full lifts or the "power" versions?
    I would assume the power versions, i won't need to snatch anything for strongman.strongman.

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":10xzxw85
    Yesterday I set up the power rack like you did for your overhead presses. Not sure why I didn't think of that set up before but it is such a better set-up than what I used to use. I was able to add 5 lbs to my overhead press for 3 sets of 5. So maybe I can even add a wee bit more weight next time. Thanks for the idea!
    Can't take credit..."¯pressing from the rack"¯ is a strongman thing. But I'm glad it helped you!

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":1kglxrtf

I wish I could coach you in person. Efficiency-wise, the way I told you should be better....it's just gonna take a bit used to. But it should help you get stronger, faster once you are used to it.
    This.

I'd love to find someone who could really coach me on that lift...I just suspect that my form is off but I obviously can't pinpoint where. I mean, I'm sure JCDeen could show me, but I swear I feel like I'm always asking him stuff. I need to let him breathe, ha!
    I did make a friend at the gym (he spots me sometimes); he coaches football and makes all the players bench, and he says my form looks fine to him, but he's not a strength-type coach, know what I mean?
    But yeah, I probably could benefit from a hands-on bench coaching.

BLZ

BLZ's Training

"Event" Day

Clean & Press with 2.25" fat bar -- this is as close as we have to an axle which is 2"
    Bunch of reps with just the bar (90lb)
    (110 x 1) x 5
    (120 x 1) x 3

**This was interesting. I've never done this before, especially not with the fat bar. I'm just glad I have huge hands so I was able to double overhand and therefore did not have to use a mixed grip.

Farmer's Carry -- 75' course
    85lb per hand, down and back (short rest between)
    95lb per hand, down and back with short rest......times 2

Purple band leg curls
    4 sets of 20

Decline situps
    4 sets of 10

BLZ's Training

Quick question for you....is there a 'proper' way to grip a bar? I stopped using gloves this week and find that no matter which way I grab the bar, some part of my hand is going to get pinched. If I position the bar nice and tight behind the base of my fingers first (where fingers meet hand) then my palm gets pinched. If I place my palm on the bar first and then wrap my fingers around, the fingers pinch where they meet my hand. Any advice?

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":3ju6z4x2
    Quick question for you....is there a 'proper' way to grip a bar? I stopped using gloves this week and find that no matter which way I grab the bar, some part of my hand is going to get pinched. If I position the bar nice and tight behind the base of my fingers first (where fingers meet hand) then my palm gets pinched. If I place my palm on the bar first and then wrap my fingers around, the fingers pinch where they meet my hand. Any advice?

Well, my answer will depend on what lift you're doing, so let me know that part and I can go into more detail. In general, though....your hand will get pinched. Not to be blunt but you just kind of have to suck it up and in a few weeks you'll start forming some decent calluses.

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":1w27gc7y
    Well, my answer will depend on what lift you're doing, so let me know that part and I can go into more detail. In general, though....your hand will get pinched. Not to be blunt but you just kind of have to suck it up and in a few weeks you'll start forming some decent calluses.
    Oh no worries I was having that discussion with DH yesterday about how I've already started to develop calluses and I hope they hurry up and get worse, and then start to get better, lol.

I'm using the bar for overhead presses, single leg Romanian deadlifts, bent over rows, squats and good mornings (though the last two don't count with my grip question). In the next round of PT I do, I will start doing conventional deadlifts again.

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Ok so its a double overhand for all that you listed. To honest, I just grab it. I don' t know that there is a more scientific ”right” answer, you probably just need to wait on the calluses. If you want them to hurry, push through as much as possible when its pinching, as that's what is going to form them. And don't moisturize.

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Just thought I'd share.....I've been feeling pretty weak lately, not being able to push it as hard these last few weeks because of my back. That being said, I want to have a monstrous squat workout tonight, so I decided to try to bloat up real fast. I should have been doing this all day but I didn't think about it.

Anyways, I've got about 2 more hours and I'm going to drink as much gatorade as I can...half gallon at the very least, more if I can. A full gallon would be idea. Also, I'm salting the shit out of it. Surprisingly this doesn't change/ruin the flavor too much.

BLZ's Training

See - that doesn't work for me. The more bloated I am the worse I perform. I am much quicker and stronger when I'm "lighter" and/or leaner.

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "L'ilJ":2sq5njbr
    See - that doesn't work for me. The more bloated I am the worse I perform. I am much quicker and stronger when I'm "lighter" and/or leaner.
    Do you think it could have something to do with the nature of our sports, too? While speed is helpful for powerlifting, it's a lot more crucial for weightlifting I would think. Also it depends on what I'm doing too....bloating helps me a lot more for squats than for bench or deadlift. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be bloated to do any kind of explosive/triple extension movement either, haha.

Oh yeah....bloating up will also help my briefs fit a little tighter, which should be helpful too.

BLZ's Training

Does the bloating make it feel like you have more power for squats?

I generally hate feeling bloated as it makes me uncomfortable.

BLZ

BLZ's Training

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":350b80ya
    Does the bloating make it feel like you have more power for squats?

I generally hate feeling bloated as it makes me uncomfortable.
    I don't know if it makes you feel like you have more power, exactly. I don't even know for sure why we do it but powerlifters do it and I do usually have better workouts when I do. I would guess it's got something to do with your muscles being super hydrated, but I don't know.

BLZ

BLZ's Training

ME Lower

Box Squats with 80lb chain (weight listed is bar weight, chain weight is additional)
    60 x 5
    110 x 3

Add briefs:
    150 x 2
    200 x 1
    240 x 1
    280 x 1
    300 x 1

This is what I wanted to hit (at the very least...would have liked to do more but I just didn't have it today), and it was a PR (25lb from several months ago, 10lb from last week). BUT....I just don't feel strong. I don't feel like I'm really back in the swing of things after hurting my back. I could feel some compression on my last couple squats. UGH.

Pin 3 Rack Pulls - raw, conventional stance
    135 x 3
    165 x 3
    185 x 3
    205 x 3
    225 x 3
    235 x 3

CSR, 4 x 8
    Reverse hypers, 4 x 10
    Decline situps: 4 x 10

BLZ's Training

Sorry that you don't feel back yet from your injury. That sucks. And I'm sorry that I don't have anything more brilliant to say other than that, and HI!