Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: My workout log.

My workout log.

Quote Originally Posted by "dillytl":m4kug9ri
    If you are on facebook -you should check out my page - I post most of my food (complete with pics and recipes!!) out there!
    Well, it looks like I am finally going to get dragged into Facebook then. At least it's for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":m4kug9ri
    Regarding cheese & cracker, one of the perennial low-carber favourites in my country is microwaving smoked cheese for 10-20 seconds (forgot how long) and it turns into a really nice tasting cracker! Kale chips are by far not as tasty but it's passable too
    Thanks for the tips Espi .. I'll pick up some smoked gouda which I quite like and give that a try. But those Kale chips? Akrasiator doesn't like passable: akrasiator likes super yummy. :tongue I think I'll stick with my Finn Crisps. Akrasiator likes those. (As I write this I am becoming concerned, I must admit. It seems I have, so far, created 2 alter-egos to deal with the upcoming weekend: Akrasiator and Ms. Hyde. I'd best be careful ... )
    Saqotu

Don't know who discovered water, but I am certain it wasn't a fish.

101 - Squats

531 Cycle 4
    12/12
    April 6, 2012

warmup from NROLFA

A. Squat
    45/5
    57.5/5
    70/3
    85/5
    97.5/3
    110/4

B. SLRDL
    3 x 20e/10

C hanging knee ups
    3 x 10
    I did try for straight legs on these, but they were slightly bent, and I was going for parallel to ground.

I feel better about squats today.

So when it rains, it pours. DH's great aunt passed away this morning. I only really met her once. The first Easter that I went along for the blessing of the baskets, we stopped at her house to get her basket so it could be blessed too.

So, Easter traditions: The blessing of the basket is a blessing of the food you intend on eating for Easter. Grandma puts together a basket that contains the following, and there's enough for everyone to have some of everything: A piece of each kind of meat, a hardboiled egg often with your name written on it, a loaf of bread, a jar of horseradish, a homemade butter lamb, a jar of vinegar, and I think salt and pepper. The idea is you're supposed to eat some of each kind of blessed food first and its really supposed to all be consumed by sundown. The family has all been trained to make sure its not a problem and DH, his brother, and their dad do a great job of eating whatever it is thats left.

I noticed other people had baskets that had things like candy, a loaf of bread, a bottle of wine, some crackers, stuff that won't spoil if its not refrigerated. OR they had a cooler so they just had the food out for a short period of time. Not us. See, we are firm believers that the Holy Spirit kills all germs and bacteria and removes all dangers from meat being kept for a longer period of time in that danger zone of above 40 degrees and less than hot. Fortunately, no one has gotten sick ever.

Easter does not rank among my favorite family meals anymore. I'll write more about what we'll be eating and the rest of it later.
    My workout log

Currently training for two.

My workout log.

Quote Originally Posted by "Saqotu":1wthpdbc
    I did yesterday. But I've decided that brocolli trumps kale in terms of things that I don't love in my smoothie, BUT I'll finish off the, gulp, SIXTEEN b-c-k mixtures I've already made and frozen. My current smoothie is: 2 eggs, 1/4 cup egg whites, 1/4 c. skim milk, 1/2 scoop natural powder and 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries. I LOVE this recipe and am experimenting on how to add a little veggie in there. My current smoothie and a couple of dillyt's (somewhat tweaked) high protein banana muffins and I'm set for, like, 7 hours without thinking about food whatsoever. If I pull off a decent April, I totally owe it to this new breakfast routine.
    Do you used pasteurized eggs? Or do you cook it at all? Or do you just eat it raw? My smoothie is aprox 1 cup greek yogurt, plain, 1 cup of 2% milk, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, and 1 banana. But I don't measure, so sometimes it fits in my glass and sometimes it doesn't. My plan is to start putting more veggies in my eggs in the morning again. Its always easier in the summer when I don't have to rush to get to class

Quote Originally Posted by "dillytl":1wthpdbc

[align=left:1wthpdbc]Not necessarily! Try this: [/align:1wthpdbc]

Protein Ice Cream
    Thanks for the recipe I notice you cook a lot with protein powder. Don't you notice a taste difference? The stevia always gets to me, maybe there is a plain version of that protein powder that doesn't have stevia? I must admit I didn't look that closely. I was using the "terra's whey" brand for awhile. It mixed well and wasn't bad tasting at all, until you stopped and you got the after taste. I finished it, but I didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":1wthpdbc
    Hear, hear! She summed it up quite nicely. You've been making great progress, and I look forward to reading more as you progress.
    Thanks
    My workout log

My workout log.

I notice you cook a lot with protein powder. Don't you notice a taste difference?
    Some brands are better than others - I've been using About Time lately - I like it!!
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

102 - deload week.

531 Cycle 4
    deload
    April 10, 2012

warmup from NROLFA

a. military press
    2 x 30/5
    1 x 40/5

b. deadlift
    2 x 95/5
    1 x 115/5

c. dumbell swings
    3 x 50/20

d. crunches on stab ball
    2 x 8/15
    1 x BW/15

Just logging this for completeness.

I successfully gave up desserts for all of lent. This makes Easter a very dangerous time, and I'm likely to feel pretty crappy by 1pm. But this year I think i did OK. I limited myself on dessert selections. I did not bring home the chocolate in my easter bag that I didn't want / was going to eat with crazy abandon and not enjoy. My MiL was told by my fil not to go to malleys to buy chocolate, everyone is on a diet and don't spend the money. She told him where to go, and proceeded to buy the chocolate. I then proceeded to send the chocolate home with grandpa and didn't eat it at all. I did keep the chocolate covered pretzels and the dark chocolate bars. I don't go nuts with those and they are very satisfying. I still haven't had any.

However, my carb intake is still pretty high and its been high for a couple of days. I'll have to rein that back in. The homemade lamb cake made from lemon pound cake, cream cheese frosting, and coconut (for coat) is all gone, so it should be easier when I'm not having a taste of that every day
    My workout log

My workout log.

oh man... this log is a dangerous place right now. all of that food sounds phenomenal. great work with giving up the treats, and then re-incorporating them sanely! that's no small feat.

isn't it funny how some treats are dangerous and others aren't? i would have to sit down and really think about why, 'cause there isn't an obvious common thread.

103 - deload week.

531 Cycle 4
    deload
    April 12, 2012

warmup from NROLFA

a. bench press
    3 x 45/5

b. squats
    45/5
    60/5
    70/5

c. SHELC
    10e (single leg)
    2 x 15

d. hanging knee ups
    3 x 10

Thank goodness tomorrow is friday. I have so much stuff to do.
    My workout log

My workout log.

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":z1dzbxl9
    oh man... this log is a dangerous place right now. all of that food sounds phenomenal. great work with giving up the treats, and then re-incorporating them sanely! that's no small feat.

isn't it funny how some treats are dangerous and others aren't? i would have to sit down and really think about why, 'cause there isn't an obvious common thread.
    No, its not obvious and it makes no sense!
    My workout log

My workout log.

531 Cycle 5
    1/12
    April 15, 2012

warmup from NROLFA

A. military press
    30/5
    30/5
    40/3
    45/5
    50/5
    57.5/6

B. Kroc rows
    2 x 15e/5
    15e/35
    15e/20

C. plank, arms on swiss ball
    3 x 60 sec hold

Not too shabby. I'm starting to freak out about school stuff. It has come to my attention that I"ll have to start worrying about finding a job sooner rather than later if I want to graduate next spring. Now, I think sooner is still later this summer and not now but the grad coordinator is especially pessimistic about the whole thing and every time I see him he has more advice about what needs to happen ZOMGNOW. Even so, the idea of no longer being a student is pretty scary stuff. I've really got to put these thoughts of interviewing, dressing up in fancy clothes, and trying to get one of like 15 jobs out there that 200 other math grads are also trying to get aside and focus on my research. Which, is actually going pretty good. I happen to like it.

I had a ribeye steak last week that I cooked myself. It was PHENOMENAL and I've been thinking about having another one ever since. I think tomorrow is the day. YUM. With asparagus.
    My workout log

My workout log.

mmmm, rib eye steaks are THE BEST!!
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

My workout log.

mmmmmm......STEAK!!! I haven't had a good steak in a really long time.......I'm gonna have to remedy that!
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

My workout log.

Quote Originally Posted by "CathyS":1tpivff2
    Not too shabby. I'm starting to freak out about school stuff. It has come to my attention that I"ll have to start worrying about finding a job sooner rather than later if I want to graduate next spring. Now, I think sooner is still later this summer and not now but the grad coordinator is especially pessimistic about the whole thing and every time I see him he has more advice about what needs to happen ZOMGNOW. Even so, the idea of no longer being a student is pretty scary stuff. I've really got to put these thoughts of interviewing, dressing up in fancy clothes, and trying to get one of like 15 jobs out there that 200 other math grads are also trying to get aside and focus on my research. Which, is actually going pretty good. I happen to like it.

I had a ribeye steak last week that I cooked myself. It was PHENOMENAL and I've been thinking about having another one ever since. I think tomorrow is the day. YUM. With asparagus.
    i have some friends that have gone through this process recently and it has been super stressful for them. hope your job search is much more fruitful and productive! (they have PhDs in English and history, so it's even worse than math i would assume).

how did you cook the steak? i don't make steak at home enough because i don't have a grill. pan frying works well enough (especially for fajitas) but every time i make one i wish for an outdoors/bbq...

105 - deadlift

531 Cycle 5
    2/12
    April 17, 2012

warmup from NROLFA

A. Deadlift
    95/5
    95/5
    115/3
    125/5
    145/5
    165/6

B. squats
    45/10
    55/10
    65/10

C. swiss ball crunch
    3 x 8/15

I forgot the airex pad. We were going to try 135 with the big wheels today. They must have thrown out the yoga mats, and so there wasn't even something we could use that would be "good enough to get by". Oh well. Next week.

It was nice to do some high rep sets of squats. I've been thinking that I should just do more of them to get better. so, if its available, we'll do that. Otherwise we'll do step ups.
    My workout log

My workout log.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jewel22":38wlamte
    mmmm, rib eye steaks are THE BEST!!
    they are! The right amount of fat, plus its naturally tender

Quote Originally Posted by "dillytl":38wlamte
    mmmmmm......STEAK!!! I haven't had a good steak in a really long time.......I'm gonna have to remedy that!
    You should!

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":38wlamte
    i have some friends that have gone through this process recently and it has been super stressful for them. hope your job search is much more fruitful and productive! (they have PhDs in English and history, so it's even worse than math i would assume).

how did you cook the steak? i don't make steak at home enough because i don't have a grill. pan frying works well enough (especially for fajitas) but every time i make one i wish for an outdoors/bbq...

Ok, I didn't have my steak yesterday I was at the grocery store and they weren't in an obvious location. So I went and looked at the other counter and I found catfish, which we haven't had in a while, and lamb chops, which I haven't made for DH ever. So we had the catfish yesterday and the lamb on the grill today. I'll try again when I go to the store tomorrow. Maybe I'll make it with homemade sweet potato fries !

For cooking the steak, today I would have put it on the grill. Yesterday was very windy, so I might have cooked it inside. DH bought me this cast iron griddle thing that you can use on the grill, but I've so far just used it on the stove. I let that heat up slowly till it was good and hot, added a little butter, and put my seasoned steak on it. It was a thin cut steak, so I probably only cooked it 3 minutes per side.

CP, do you have access to the roof? Can you put a grill up there w/o it sprouting legs? I imagine you're in an appt building...

I don't know that my job search will be less bad or not. I do know that ratio of positions in academia in any given year is a lot less than the number of people earning phd's in math. And its been that way for a number of years.
    My workout log

My workout log.

.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

My workout log.

Happy Birthday ... hope your day is awesome!!!
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

My workout log.

Happy Birthday!
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

My workout log.

Have a wonderful birthday Cathy!
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

My workout log.

Happy Birthday, CathyS! I hope someone is cooking something delicious for YOU tonight!