Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Avogadro's Numbers

Re: Avogadro's Numbers

I don't know anybody who trains in real life either. All the guys at work that are over 50 say"you know when you get my age that muscle is going to turn to fat". I resist the urge to tell them"only if I get as lazy as you". I actually found out there is a Starting Strength Certified coach who trains about 15 minutes from my house. I emailed him about his rates because I wouldn't mind getting some pointers from a coach. However, he is VERY proud of his certificate and I would have to take out a bank loan to pay his weekly rate.
    Tony
    My Log:Moving N.O.V

A bit late to the party, but congrats on the 300 DL. PRs are always cool but especially so for a big lift like that one.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Nice PR for your training partner, I wish my kids showed some interest
    in training, maybe one day.

I don't know anyone who trains in real life either and I don't really like talking
    about it if it comes up the comments are usually similar to what you guys have mentioned
    or they just want to know how much I bench.
    I usually tell them that I don't bench, that confuses them and that ends the conversation.
    Mark

If you think lifting weights is dangerous, try being weak. Being weak is dangerous. - President Contreras

I only believe in Training to be Awesome. - Wendler

Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

Nice going on the DL PR! It kinda sucks that most of our friends/colleagues/family members don't get it when we rave about them. That's why I like posting about them here.

Your young lifter in training is cute.
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Adorable training partner! If you welcome her in and she has fun, I can only imagine that she will continue to enjoy her time lifting! And REALLY nice Dead lift PR.,

My favorite question from non-lifters is, "How much weight do you lift?". The last time I asked one to specify which exercise, he unfortunately wanted to know how much I curl. :P

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and feedback! Now I know that when I want some traffic here, just post a picture of my daughter. Clearly she is a lot more interesting and photogenic than I am. I do try to make it fun for her, though keeping her safe can sometimes be an issue. Like that time she crawled up onto my stomach while I was benching or when she dropped a small plate on her own foot trying to help me load the bar.

Speaking of boring, my deload...

Press 3x95x5
    Chin Ups 3x5

CGBP 3x115x8
    DB Row 3x50x8

Deadlift 3x230x5

Front Squat 5x115x5
    SB Jackknife 5x10

And my deload is over. This was at the "gym" at work, which has been a nice place for me to train when I had a break in my day. I put it in quotes since it really just an unused space in the basement but it does have barbells, a squat rack and dumbbells. But they are shutting it down some time in the next couple of weeks due to some big construction projects.

I have the rest of the week to start my next cycle then we are off to vacation next week in the Grand Caymans (woo hoo!). The place we usually stay at has an exercise room with barbell, bench and squat stand, so I usually am able to get my training in first thing in the morning before the clan wakes up.

Bench
    135x5
    155x5
    170x6 rep PR
    155x5

DB Row
    3x65x10

Incline Press
    95x8
    105x8
    2x115x6

DB CSR
    3x45x10

BW 163.0

Quick log update before I'm asked to login when I'm already logged in so I can't log out to log back in even though I'm logged in already.

Nice way to start a cycle with a PR

Quote Originally Posted by "Avogadro" post=1006289
    BW 163.0
    How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by "Avogadro" post=1006289
    Quick log update before I'm asked to login when I'm already logged in so I can't log out to log back in even though I'm logged in already.
    I had that problem too.
    Mark

If you think lifting weights is dangerous, try being weak. Being weak is dangerous. - President Contreras

I'm 5' 8" on a good day

I had gotten down to below 140 for a little while. Now working my way back up.

ETA: Ooops. Meant below 150 (146 I think was my lowest)

Awesome benching. I have been having the log in problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by "Avogadro" post=1006322
    I'm 5' 8" on a good day

I'm 5'6" on a great day but have a very broad frame. I got down to 189 right before I was released to train again. Now I'm hovering around 215, I need to work on a cut after i finish my full body stint.
    Tony

Thanks, though I think at some point I'm going to take a break from my strength focus and work on hypertrophy, especially upper body. A little show with my go, so to speak.

Yes, aesthetics. I'm shallow. What can I say?

Squat
    214x5
    240x5
    265x5 rep PR
    225x5

Good Morning
    115x8
    125x8
    2x135x8

SB Jackknife
    3x10

I feel like I'm coming down with a cold or something and started feeling blah yesterday, so I wasn't sure how squats were going to go. Turns out I felt pretty good strength wise, though rested a little more than usual between sets. Heck of a time to get sick, though, since we are headed to the Caymans tomorrow. Early flight, should be there by midday.

Never mind all this lifting, I'm getting one of these instead!

Quote Originally Posted by "Avogadro" post=1006373

The Meme "shut up and take my money" is in my head now.

Have fun on your trip.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by "Avogadro" post=1006373

Is there a hirsute version?

Press
    85x5
    95x5
    2x105x5

Chin Ups
    4x5

CGBP
    115x5
    130x5
    145x5
    2x135x5

DB Row
    5x50x10

Resort workout. Didn't push the reps and eating, rest, energy, and caffeine levels all below usual levels. But got it in and felt ok considering.

So I've been busy the last few weeks with weight cut, etc, and then I haven't been able to post for a few days.....just wanted to check in and say great job on the deadlift PR, and I totally get you on the aesthetics piece. Strength is obviously my #1 priority but if I told you I wasn't vain a F, I'd be lying. Nothing wrong with it!

Quote Originally Posted by "Avogadro" post=1006322
    I'm 5' 8" on a good day

ETA: Ooops. Meant below 150 (146 I think was my lowest)
    I'm 5'9" and at my lowest weight I was about 73kg (160lbs) I have got up
    to just under 90kg (198lb). I must say I am pretty happy at my current
    weight at about 83kg (182lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by "Avogadro" post=1006333
    Yes, aesthetics. I'm shallow. What can I say?
    We all look in the mirror before/during/after we lift, its not a bad thing.
    Except if your wearing that suit.

Hope your enjoying your holiday
    Mark

Thanks for the feedback. I want to get to the 170s but frankly I gain a lot of fat and not a lot of muscle. I accept the two go together to some extent but it is a little frustrating regaining what I worked hard to lose. Still a work in progress.

Deadlift
    215x3
    240x3
    265x8 rep PR

Front Squat
    125x5
    140x5
    155x5
    2x135x5

Surprisingly solid today. DL didn't exactly fly up but keeping my back tight and in extension seems to be getting better lately.