Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Former Cardio Queen

Confessions of a Former Cardio Queen

I can't imagine putting in so much time at the gym AND studying. Do you study full time or are you working as well? The gym/school/work trifecta is a doozie.

Where you gonna hit the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":2bgqxrdt
    I can't imagine putting in so much time at the gym AND studying. Do you study full time or are you working as well? The gym/school/work trifecta is a doozie.

Where you gonna hit the beach?
    I'm in school fulltime; I don't have a "job" outside the home, but I do have 4 kiddos, a husband, a house to run.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I stepped on the scale this morning, just to check in and see how my maintenance was going. And I'm UP 6 pounds!!! What the freakin hell?! Yeah, I'm a little upset about that. I've been tracking between 1700-2000 each day...I'm not guessing; the amounts just fluctuate depending on the day. It's not that I care so so much about the scale number, but I do care that I can't seem to figure out what my numbers (cals/macs) oughtta be. PUH-lease don't tell me that my maintenance is some super low number. I guess since I can't figure out what/how much to eat, it might be time to consider some personal nutrition consulting, like meal plans, not just macs & cals...any suggestions on WHO I should contact??

And here's this kicker: during my little shopping spree, I thought I was looking ok, and I came home with dern near half the Ann Taylor Loft store in sizes XS, S, and 0-2, so what the crap are those 6lbs in 8 weeks coming from?!

In any case, I suppose I have the motivation to actually complete a 24 hour fast today.

Did you try on half the Ann Taylor loft store before buying it? I mean, do you know those clothes fit?

I think we all need to throw out that scale . Causes too much unnecessary grief. (including myself)
    My workout log

Currently training for two.

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":2c3f5r2a
    I'm in school fulltime; I don't have a "job" outside the home, but I do have 4 kiddos, a husband, a house to run.
    You must be a super woman at time management!

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":2c3f5r2a
    I guess since I can't figure out what/how much to eat, it might be time to consider some personal nutrition consulting, like meal plans, not just macs & cals...any suggestions on WHO I should contact??
    I share this sentiment and I'll be keeping an eye on the advice you get for this.

Quote Originally Posted by "CathyS":2c3f5r2a
    I think we all need to throw out that scale . Causes too much unnecessary grief. (including myself)
    I agree. Eff the scale. I prefer using the mirror/how clothes fit monitors.

Tasha, as Cathy mentioned, how did you look in the Ann Taylor clothes? You mentioned that you thought you were looking ok.... So you probably look fantastic. I think that scale is doing you a huge disservice.
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":3i3rd4gv
    I stepped on the scale this morning, just to check in and see how my maintenance was going. And I'm UP 6 pounds!!! What the freakin hell?! Yeah, I'm a little upset about that. I've been tracking between 1700-2000 each day...I'm not guessing; the amounts just fluctuate depending on the day. It's not that I care so so much about the scale number, but I do care that I can't seem to figure out what my numbers (cals/macs) oughtta be.
    if you don't care about the scale, then why does it matter what your cals should be?

ok, here comes the tough love... THROW OUT THE SCALE. i would bet you are up because of the birthday carbs and you're holding extra water right now. you are already a size XS, and 0?! where can you go from there?! are you sure you have anything to lose, and you're not just in a mindset where you still view yourself as heavier?

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":2hfma93w
    you are already a size XS, and 0?! where can you go from there?! are you sure you have anything to lose, and you're not just in a mindset where you still view yourself as heavier?
    She's got a point there! XS and 0 IS small!

Because the scale isn't just about calories. It's about salt, carbs, how you process food, and probably the cycle of the moon. Point being there's a lot of other factors involved here that you seem to be simplifying to calories. If you need scale validation, I'd suggest watching what you take in for the next few days and then weigh yourself.

As for professional help, if you want the best I'd suggest Alan Aragon assuming he's taking on new clients. Be prepared to pay for his services though as the best doesn't come cheap.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Tasha, give it a few days before you change anything up. When I eat processed carbs like cake and bread, I can EASILY be up 5-7 pounds for the next few days. Weigh yourself on Monday and see how it looks. If you are STILL up six pounds we can re-evaluate.

The scale, she is a harsh mistress...and a f*&king b&tch. ;-)

THROW AWAY THE SCALE!!

What if we went to the store and you found the CUTEST jeans ever and thought they wouldn't fit and then they DID! In a size you never had worn before. And, then what if you stepped on the scale and the scale said 150 lbs. Would you care? You just bought a pair of smokin hot jeans and look great in them!

This point was really driven home to me when an old member of the forum posted pics of his wife. She had the most phenomenal body. Just perfect. I then asked how tall she was and what she weighed. Turns out she was MY height and weighed 20 lbs MORE than me.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Yep, I always try on clothes before I buy them. Maybe vanity sizing has run amuck. And I do think I look super cute in them. I think my concern is to just be able to know how to eat in order to reach my goals, whether that's maintenance, fat loss, or even muscle gaining. I feel like my calories are all over the board (high to low) and all that ever seems to happen is the scale going up. If I don't know what my base cals are, then how can I adjust for goals. Yes, I am "small" in most clothing, but I do have too much fat on my lower body, and I know that crap is HARD to lose. I'm just wondering if I need to "lose" or "reshape," and how to go about doing that. Seriously, the fat on my thighs needs to G-O!
    Now, in my defense, I haven't weighed myself in 8 weeks....but isn't it good to just check in every now and then? Ugh, I've just never gained so much in water weight, although my sodium and processed carbs (thank you bday treats!) has been a good bit higher than normal lately. I do use measurements, but I can't get any consistency out of those either, likely because I'm just not a consistent measurer. Realistically, I may not be able to get smaller as far as inches go -- I do have some genetic factors at play here, but I'd like my legs to be more firm, less jiggly, so fat loss seems like the solution.

And now I'm in my head about it, and I'm starting to think that maybe my pants really do feel tighter.

Ok, I'm going to go breathe, study for finals, and maybe do a little more retail therapy - considering I sold back 3 of my books for extra $75 this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":3bpp27of
    Yep, I always try on clothes before I buy them. Maybe vanity sizing has run amuck. And I do think I look super cute in them.
    Gah, I had a feeling you'd try to use the vanity sizing argument :tongue But the fact is that you liked how you looked in them--that's amazing. Like missjane says...if the clothes are fitting the way you want and you like how you look in them, who gives a fluck if you are a size 0 or a size 8 or whatever? If your pants get tighter in the leg....just look at it as all your gym dedication paying off. If you put on muscle, it has to go somewhere under your clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":3bpp27of
    I think my concern is to just be able to know how to eat in order to reach my goals, whether that's maintenance, fat loss, or even muscle gaining. I feel like my calories are all over the board (high to low) and all that ever seems to happen is the scale going up. If I don't know what my base cals are, then how can I adjust for goals. Yes, I am "small" in most clothing, but I do have too much fat on my lower body, and I know that crap is HARD to lose. I'm just wondering if I need to "lose" or "reshape," and how to go about doing that. Seriously, the fat on my thighs needs to G-O!

Realistically, I may not be able to get smaller as far as inches go -- I do have some genetic factors at play here, but I'd like my legs to be more firm, less jiggly, so fat loss seems like the solution.
    Dude, I could have written most of that myself word for word. Genetics gave me the "gift" of wider hips and bigger thighs (and a flat chest and bony shoulders-go figure!). I used to hate them and sometimes still do. Ain't nothing I can do to change my bone structure and make things narrower (or bigger in the boobage department).

Lately, I've put myself in a different mindset about my big-ish thighs. When I workout, they get "chunkier" as I put on some muscle. But they get that way BECAUSE I'm working out and busting my ass. So lately when I look in the mirror when I'm squatting, I see "the result of hard work" instead of "thick thighs".

Similar idea with my flat chest. As I put in more time in the gym and build strength, by boobs seem to be shrinking (if that's even possible as my size ). But then I just think to myself "Oh well, my boobs getting smaller means I'm getting leaner and adding some muscle."

Sorry if I'm being too candid in someone else's log other than my own but just wanted to share my thoughts as it seems we share some of the same frustrations. So I just wanted to give you another perspective For now, yes, just worry about your exams!

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":ccku45ue
    Because the scale isn't just about calories. It's about salt, carbs, how you process food, and probably the cycle of the moon. Point being there's a lot of other factors involved here that you seem to be simplifying to calories. If you need scale validation, I'd suggest watching what you take in for the next few days and then weigh yourself.

As for professional help, if you want the best I'd suggest Alan Aragon assuming he's taking on new clients. Be prepared to pay for his services though as the best doesn't come cheap.
    There are definitely lots of things going on and it doesn't mean that it's fat or "bad" weight/change on the scale. I'm trying maintenance and I admit that the scale went 4-5# and it freaked me out BUT my jeans also seem to be a tad snugger in the waistband (in other words, I'm not only looking at a scale number) so I'm reining things in a bit. My maintenance number is pretty damn low, and I hate it.

Sadly, Alan isn't taking on any new clients, and hasn't been for quite a while... it's a shame, cuz he knows his sh*t.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":pi4u8pl8
    There are definitely lots of things going on and it doesn't mean that it's fat or "bad" weight/change on the scale. I'm trying maintenance and I admit that the scale went 4-5# and it freaked me out BUT my jeans also seem to be a tad snugger in the waistband (in other words, I'm not only looking at a scale number) so I'm reining things in a bit. My maintenance number is pretty damn low, and I hate it.
    This is going to be a dumb question, but why? I mean, why do some people, like you, have really low maintenance numbers, even with all the training you do? I thought I had read that we can increase maintenance numbers with diet and training and body composition?

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":lq8ybmwy
    This is going to be a dumb question, but why? I mean, why do some people, like you, have really low maintenance numbers, even with all the training you do? I thought I had read that we can increase maintenance numbers with diet and training and body composition?
    Maintenance really has to do with how active you are outside of training, I find. I can do a hard lifting session and then sit on my ass the rest of the day at the office and be in the 1600-1800 calorie burn for the day due to me being small. On a day where I bust ass lifting and then buzz around the house doing lots of housework and maybe take a walk ... I'm still only in the 2100 cal range. So my "maintenance" number is probably sub-2000 cals a day. Not a lot of margin for error.

Hormones and age play a part as well. Things like thyroid problems, PCOS can affect things as well.

I have always gained easy, and take forever to lose. It's frustrating. So, currently I'm eating a lot, and as long as the new size tens continue to fit, I'm focusing on strength. I'm tired of being a slave to the scale, or a slave to how I THINK I should look. I've got about 20 lbs of fat to lose still. It may take another year! But I'm not going to worry anymore. I know years of undereating and no exercise slowed my metabolism way down.

You looked great at the start of the challenge, you have got to look even better since then, and clearly you have built a shit ton of strength. Which is way more than 99.8% of women achieve. All while raising a family and going to school! You're doing pull ups with weight!!!!

But I hear ya. Trust me, I'll go up in something a lot at the gym, then I'm a buzz kill by saying something stupid like but there's still fat! Then I have to remind myself, that I've spent the last several years maybe the better part of this century!, except for my metabolism wrecking times (many) of starving myself (only to regain) and have only been exercising 10 months.

CHIN UP Tasha, because you can do chin ups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "L'ilJ":1rrw8ibw
    Maintenance really has to do with how active you are outside of training, I find. I can do a hard lifting session and then sit on my ass the rest of the day at the office and be in the 1600-1800 calorie burn for the day due to me being small. On a day where I bust ass lifting and then buzz around the house doing lots of housework and maybe take a walk ... I'm still only in the 2100 cal range. So my "maintenance" number is probably sub-2000 cals a day. Not a lot of margin for error.
    This is most likely my issue, especially since I have been sitting a lot more with school than I ever did before. I may gain a bit more wiggle room once school is out and I can be moving around a lot more. I tried maintenance back in December and held out pretty well at 2100-2200 while training. Maybe I lost more in classroom sitting than I thought. I'll adjust my calories back down to what I thought was "fat loss" and see what happens with that.

Quote Originally Posted by "bernernewf":1rrw8ibw
    Hormones and age play a part as well. Things like thyroid problems, PCOS can affect things as well.

I have always gained easy, and take forever to lose. It's frustrating. So, currently I'm eating a lot, and as long as the new size tens continue to fit, I'm focusing on strength. I'm tired of being a slave to the scale, or a slave to how I THINK I should look. I've got about 20 lbs of fat to lose still. It may take another year! But I'm not going to worry anymore. I know years of undereating and no exercise slowed my metabolism way down.

You looked great at the start of the challenge, you have got to look even better since then, and clearly you have built a shit ton of strength. Which is way more than 99.8% of women achieve. All while raising a family and going to school! You're doing pull ups with weight!!!!

But I hear ya. Trust me, I'll go up in something a lot at the gym, then I'm a buzz kill by saying something stupid like but there's still fat! Then I have to remind myself, that I've spent the last several years maybe the better part of this century!, except for my metabolism wrecking times (many) of starving myself (only to regain) and have only been exercising 10 months.

CHIN UP Tasha, because you can do chin ups!!
    Thank you! I'll take the encouragement = it's been a hard day, outside of the scale. I sometimes wonder if delivering those half dozen babies did indeed get my hormones a little whacky; I assume they would return to normal after time, but maybe things like that sometimes don't ever return. It's weird to think that hormonal changes from pregnancies could be permanent, though. Ugh, I just want my butt to have less cellulite and for my thighs to NOT jiggle when I walk around in a bathing suit. Too much to ask?! :tongue

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":3s659o3c
    Quote Originally Posted by "L'ilJ":3s659o3c
    Not a lot of margin at all (and I'm short too like Jill), and I'm not the most active person outside of the gym.

Honestly, I do believe some people are just made to be more efficient than others. We've all met people who are thin (though not necessarily strong) no matter how much they seem to eat. There's a woman in yoga who hates her body because she thinks she's too bony. She has struggled her entire life (she's in her 50's) and gone to doctors for weight-gain help, etc... maybe she's active and fidgets more, but I just think some people are genetically destined to be thin or to hold more weight - my ancestors were built to survive and one way you do that is to not starve quickly...

In horses, we call some horses "easy keepers" and I think that's what I am (in human equivalency). They're the ones you can barely feed any grain at all or they just get fat as hell. While the horse in the next stall (who yes, maybe burns more nervous energy, but maybe not) might struggle to keep weight on with tons of food, easy keepers have to be kept on a constant diet. I can only speak for myself, but that's just the genetic deck of cards I was dealt.

You can strive to be the best version of yourself, but bottom line is that there is an ultimate genetic blueprint that plays a large part in what the best version of you is.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":pyj1uhzg
    This is most likely my issue, especially since I have been sitting a lot more with school than I ever did before. I may gain a bit more wiggle room once school is out and I can be moving around a lot more. I tried maintenance back in December and held out pretty well at 2100-2200 while training. Maybe I lost more in classroom sitting than I thought. I'll adjust my calories back down to what I thought was "fat loss" and see what happens with that.
    Try shooting for 1800 a day and then see what happens. Have you considered getting a fitbit to see what kind of activity you do on a daily basis? I have one and I think it's a great tool to motivate me to not sit on my ass too much at work. I work a lot of hours, especially when I travel, and I can easily become very sedentary unless I keep track of my activity. Just an idea.

I saw this post by Saqotu, and it's a good reminder of why the scale has its drawbacks: http://www.jpfitness.com/showpost.php?p=946229&postcount=833

It's just something to think about before you do anything rash or drastic.
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here