Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Former Cardio Queen

Confessions of a Former Cardio Queen

Adding my thoughts and prayers. And kudos to her friend who told an adult. Plus to the pastor who called and urged you to take her to the ER.

Sending big hugs and lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you and your family Tasha.
    .· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

Thanks for the update. I hope you get some good news soon in the ER. You're lucky she reached out to a friend - to me that seems like really good news because she was seeking help from someone. Keeping you in my thoughts. Hang in there.

Wow, Tasha. I am so sad to hear this. I hope she is OK and gets the help she needs.

On a sidenote, I am glad that today when my daughter's friend, whom I had never really even met before, came barging into my house (while I was napping!) pretty much demanding tylenol for her headache. I told her I had to call her parents first, she pretty much made a huff sound like I was ridiculous. I called. One just never ever knows with teens. After hearing the news the other day, that teens are using hand sanitizer to get drunk!!!, one just never knows. Sheesh. All I had was pot when I was a teen!

You and your family are in my thoughts & prayers. *hugs*
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

I'm praying for you guys.
    Roland Denzel @ EatWellMoveWell.com

Author of Man on Top and The Real Food Reset

Stop by my training log The Madness of Roland

Sending good thoughts your way as well as to your loved one(s)!
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Fingers crossed that everything works out. Hoping for the best.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Thinking about you and your family; I hope today is a better day for all of you

Thinking of you and your family.

Power Training, round 2
    Strength -Week 1: Push/Pull
    A1 Pull: Wednesday, 5/02/12

Front Squat

55 x 6, 65 x 6 (x 3 sets)

One-Arm DB Incline Bench Press

22.5 x 6, 25 x 6 (x 3 sets)

Push Press
    55 x 6 (x 4 sets)

Windshield Wiper
    BW x 10 (x 4 sets)

Good Ol' Plank
    BW x 90sec (x 4 sets)

Followed by a 20minute walk on the treadie. First lift in 12 days, and I feel it. My calories have been low for the last few days well, so maybe that's helping me to feel it too. The front squats were more of a challenge than I anticipated; my form is good as JC coached me on that, but I'm considering using lifting straps to help with the strain on the wrist.

I stayed awake for 41 hours, with my daughter's situation. There was no time and such to sleep with everything. Funny thing happens at about hour 32 = my body SCREAMS for carbs, like donuts. And at about hour 38, I'm pretty much useless;I was having trouble sorting through my brain to find needed information. Crazy, huh?! Well, not that crazy considering how important sleep is.

Update on my daughter: she's getting settled into the psych hospital. We can only visit 2x a day. I saw her yesterday, and she doesn't really understand the magnitude of what's going on. She feels "normal" in the hospital bc most of the other teens are there for the same reason, so I think she's thinking that suicidal thoughts and actions are ok, since others are doing it too. She even said, "Mom, this one girl in here took, like, 200 pills. I only took 20." The teenage brain is a scary place. We're meeting with the psych team today to discuss evaluation and treatment. The hubby and I are still in shock, and we're angry and embarrassed.

While packing her some more clothes and other requests, I found her suicide note in her room. I tell you, it's a weird and sad thing to read, knowing what could have been. I'm struggling with whether she has a true mental illness or just really poor decision making skills couple with a deluded sense of reality. The line between teenage angst and true depression is blurry. I'm hoping the professionals will be able to help me sort it out. I have to work hard to accept things without understanding them - that's a blessing and a curse.

And I thought it would be nice to be back in the gym, but I couldn't turn my brain off. Maybe once I get re-settle into my normal routine, I'll feel better. Who knows when that will be -- when the shock wears off, I guess.

Thanks for thinking of us and reading my thoughts; I'll try not to turn this into some personal diary.

Just keep on taking it one day at a time. We will still be here cheering for you and your family.

I agree with TomK, just be there for her and help her though this difficult time. I can't imagine the anguish and frustration you must be feeling. She is lucky she made it and she has another chance.

As sad as it is, suicide is a very common thing for teenagers to think about.. to actually try it is something entirely different.. still done frequently.
    Hoping for the best possible outcome for your daughter!
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

I can't even imagine what it was like to find her note... and yes, as much as we want the hospital to be a treatment milieu, sometimes it can have other effects. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts... and please, if it helps you to cope, keep posting in here. Whatever you need...
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":2xgc25f6
    I can't even imagine what it was like to find her note... and yes, as much as we want the hospital to be a treatment milieu, sometimes it can have other effects. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts... and please, if it helps you to cope, keep posting in here. Whatever you need...
    As Bytsi said, whatever you need ...

Take care!
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by "TomK":37a27hnt
    Just keep on taking it one day at a time. We will still be here cheering for you and your family.
    I'd like to echo this and wish you all the best during the recovery process. This too shall pass.

Writing (even typing) is cathartic - it may help getting the demons out of your head by writing out your experience.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Power Training, round 2
    Strength -Week 1: Push/Pull
    B1 Pull: Thursday, 5/03/12

SL RDL

45 x 6, 55 x 6 (x 3 sets)

Standing cable row to neck

55 x 6, 60 x 6, 65 x 6 (x 2 sets)

Single_arm Lat Pulldown
    55 x 6, 55 x 6, 55 x 5, 50 x 6

Seated Russian Twist
    20 x 10 (x 4 sets)

3point Plank
    BW x 45sec (x 4 sets)

I tried the supine bridge today, but that was just weird. :/ I went into the gym about 6a; it's lonely in there then and while I missed my usual group I enjoyed the solitude, and the extra hour of sleep. A humbling workout in regards to strength, and this SLRDL showed me that I have need to work on my balance.

Thanks for letting come post all my "stuff" in here, and for reading along and encouraging me. We're not sharing with a lot of people really, and we don't have a lot of close friends as it is and I think it's too personal (or too fresh) to share with acquaintances.

In any case, we met with the psych doc yesterday. He says that is perplexing that she has assimilated well into the group, is making friends, is laughing/smiling/participating, and otherwise "normal," meaning not showing any outward signs of depression. But when they speak to her, she says that she's still sad inside and has no desire to live. We definitely need some therapy to figure out what's really going on in her brain. But the also want to medicate her! I am very opposed to this. She'd only been in there for 32 hours before they decided that medication was necessary - how can they know that this soon? And from what little I know, isn't psych meds for adolescents just a big experiment...hello, they're brains are still developing. Why in the world would you want to chemically alter during that time?! We asked all these questions of course, and were told it would be in the name of protection. Also, they don't even know if it's true chemical imbalance, although we all agree that there may be some underlying issues that need to be addressed.

I'm just soooooo tired of pill-popping cures. We really do like to treat symptoms instead of causes, right?! So, we'd basically be saying to my daughter "Listen those pills you took weren't the answer. These pills are." Yeah, that's crazy.

*Confession: I seem to be stuck in the denial & anger phase of my grief at the moment.

Because they medicate everyone. Lithium? I'm sending you a PM.