Thread: Boom! Danish Dynamite

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Monday, 04/30/12: Stage 4, workout A3:

Dynamic mobility warm-up

Plank (on elbows):
    80sec,
    80sec,
    80sec.
    These were so HARD today. I was shaking all over from the beginning of the very first plank. But I got through all sets without decreasing time. I could really feel them in my shoulders... Perhaps that's why they seemed harder today. But then why do my shoulders start to lack the strength/endurance to do them now?

Cable horizontal wood chop:
    12.5kg x8,
    12.5kg x8,
    12.5kg x8.

A. Front squat/push press:
    25kg x8,
    27.5kg x8,
    27.5kg x8.

B1. Step-up:

4kg(e) x8,
    4kg(e) x8,
    4kg(e) x8.

B2. Dumbell one-point row:
    7kg(e) x8,
    kg(e) x8,
    7kg(e) x8.

C1. Static lunge, rear foot elevated:
    10kg(e) x8,
    10kg(e) x8,
    10kg(e) x8.

C2. Push-up (not full ROM, but almost):

Metabolic: The room used for classes was empty, so I went in there and did kettlebell swings, jumping (on to a box, set-off with both feet), mountain climber's, sprints with jumping over boxes and changing direction after each box for ~15 minutes.

Notes: Despite the less than great start with the planks, this was a great workout - I felt so energetic! I don't know if it's all the energy-rich foods I ate in the weekend or the four days since the last workout, but I just had a feeling of "I want more" when I was done with the exercises. Added some metabolic work, which I actually enjoyed doing! I don't know what happened with me today
    Kira
    My log: http://jpfitness.com/showthread.php?...e&goto=newpost

Meet PRs
    Squat: 95kg (209lb)
    Bench: 52.5kg (116lb)
    DL: 135kg (297lb)

Boom! Danish Dynamite

nice guns! and i second the "cute hair" comment. i've never been brave enough to go that short so i greatly admire those who are. must be great for a frequent exerciser!

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":w9x7v6vo
    nice guns! and i second the "cute hair" comment. i've never been brave enough to go that short so i greatly admire those who are. must be great for a frequent exerciser!
    Thanks! I have a suspicion that when I eat enough protein, I might be one of those lucky people that put on muscle relatively easily. It's newbie gains, but still. I'm an extremely impatient person, so it's nice to see some definition to boost the motivation.

It was a big step to get such short hair (which actually is long by my standards in the pic, as it's been two months since my last hair cut), but I did take it step-wise by reducing my waist-long hair by 15-20cm at a time over years, and in the end it was like "why not try it? It'll grow back in time if I don't like it". But as I mentioned I do have really thick hair, and then it becomes a nuisance to have long hair. I always had it up, and it was too heavy to make nice hairstyles. And short hair is easier, with exercise and everything else. Now I get my kicks by getting it dyed differently almost every time, but always bright red
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Wednesday, 05/02/12: Stage 4, workout B3:

Dynamic mobility warm-up

Side plank:
    40sec,
    40sec,
    40sec.

Plank (arms on swiss ball):
    55sec,
    55sec,
    55sec.
    Note: This was using a smaller swiss ball (55cm) than usual (65cm), but the latter was nowhere to be found. And when I asked the girl in the reception, she didn't know anything either.

Swiss-ball jack-knife: (again smaller ball than usual)
    8 attempts at pike (at best I got to V-shape),
    10 jack,
    5 attempts at pike.

A. Deficit deadlift:
    47.5kg x8,
    47.5kg x8,
    47.5kg x8.

B1. BSS:
    11.25kg x8,
    11.25kg x8,
    11.25kg x8.

B2. Underhand-grip lat pull-down:
    50kg x6,
    50kg x6,
    50kg x5.

C1. Reverse lunge from box w fw reach:
    7kg(e) x8,
    7kg(e) x8,
    7kg(e) x8.

C2. DB prone cuban snatch:
    4kg(e) x8,
    4kg(e) x8,
    4kg(e) x8.

"Intervals": I didn't want tostress my legs too much, so I didn't do intervals as described in the book. But did some running on the treadmill for a total of 15 minutes, with incline and speed in pyramid form and with 3 minutes of 20s/20s intervals at top. The incline of course lowered my speed and I hope that this didn't take as large a toll on the hamstrings as my usual sprinting intervals.

More notes and Q: My biceps were really sore. Most likely due to the fact that I attempted to do negative chins after my workout Monday to help determine whether I should do stage 6 or not. News flash: couldn't do the negatives chins, not really a big surprise. But the sore biceps definitely influenced my underhand lat pulldowns today

It will definitely take time before I can master the exercise Tracey linked to. First, I couldn't perform the swiss ball pike - does anybody have any ideas as to progressions so I can get strong enough to do them??

I also tried to add roll-outs on the last set of attempted pikes - damn, that was even more tough. I think I managed the smallest roll-out in world history :tongue
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Can you do the swiss ball pike at all?
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Boom! Danish Dynamite

No. But I want to, so that's the question. How do I progress to the pike? I can only do the jack-knife currently. When I try for the pike, I can't get my butt all the way up - I can only get my body to form a sort of a V-shape, if you know what I mean.
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by "kuben":2ynx79ru
    No. But I want to, so that's the question. How do I progress to the pike? I can only do the jack-knife currently. When I try for the pike, I can't get my butt all the way up - I can only get my body to form a sort of a V-shape, if you know what I mean.
    are the pike and the jackknife different? it's been a year so i can't remember NROL4W all that clearly.

i think you just have to keep at it until you can get your butt up. is it a balancing issue or a strength issue?

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Yes, in the jackknife you pull your knees towards your chest. The pike you stick the butt in the air without bending the knees (as you probably know). My balance isn't good (although definitely much improved!), but I don't think it's a balance issue - although I wouldn't rule it out completely. I think it's strength. And perhaps also technique?? When I raise my hips, I just can't seem to get past the v-shape I mentioned (ie legs upper body probably in a 90 degree angle).
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

The weather was really lovely today (~70F and sun, sun, sun ), so I decided to walk around and do my errands. Turned out I'd forgotten my credit card - so got an extra trip, and ended up walking 9-10km in total. On the downside, weather's going bad again with nothing but rain and high 40's in the forecasts from tomorrow and on to the next week

The last two days, my appetite has been really low - that is an extreme rare event!! Previously, I'd been over-thrilled - coz less calories in equals more weight loss. But this time around I've 'forced' some food down (cheese, milk, PP etc) as I knew I needed fuel after my workout yesterday and fueling today for my workout tomorrow morning. I'm really amazed and a little proud as well by this turnaround in my mindset.
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Thanks for clearing up the difference between the jackknife & the pike..it's so obvious when you look at vids,yet I couldn't phrase it properly! A bit over a week ago I tried it (upon seeing a very inspirational vid that also included a kind of Swiss ball rollout ) and semi-managed.. but failed miserably in the next workouts!
    On a very good day you may manage.. when you start with them fresh. These are at the start of my WO as part of the warmup. One of the remnants of doing NROLA where ab training is at the start of the WO
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Boom! Danish Dynamite

I've also moved the core stuff to the beginning of my workouts after reading the NROLFA book. And because it's an area I need to focus on, I think. I've always hated abs/core exercises and it's actually nice to get them done immediately instead of in the end.

Today's another national holiday in DK, and the gym was extremely crowded so I had to wait for a lot of the equipment. So I was at the gym for what felt like an eternity.

Monday, 05/04/12: Stage 4, workout A4:

Dynamic mobility warm-up

'D1.' Plank (on elbows):
    80sec,
    80sec,
    80sec.

'D2.' Cable horizontal wood chop:
    12.5kg x8,
    12.5kg x8,
    12.5kg x8.

A. Front squat/push press:
    27.5kg x8,
    27.5kg x8,
    27.5kg x8.

B1. Step-up:

4kg(e) x8,
    4kg(e) x8,
    4kg(e) x8.

B2. Dumbell one-point row:
    8kg(e) x8,
    kg(e) x8,
    8kg(e) x8.

C1. Static lunge, rear foot elevated:
    10kg(e) x8,
    10kg(e) x8,
    10kg(e) x8.

C2. Push-up (not full ROM, but almost):

Extra: Three attempts of doing negative chins. When I'm done swaying, I've used all my strength and can't lower myself slowly.

Notes and questions: The planks were really hard on my shoulders again this time (noted for the fist time in the last A workout). Especially in the thrid set, my shoulders almost made me quit and started aching waayy before my core did. Maybe it's time to switch to another version or?? Anybody has any ideas?

This was the last A workout! It'll not be missed
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

I hate core stuff as well. They're so boring!!! So moving them to the beginning is smart, because it guarantees you'll do them. Maybe I should follow suit, too.
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":f92vd8om
    I hate core stuff as well. They're so boring!!! So moving them to the beginning is smart, because it guarantees you'll do them. Maybe I should follow suit, too.
    Exactly! This way the core stuff is done and I can enjoy the rest of my training without the lurking darkness of core exercises in the back of my mind.

Another thing that I really don't like either is the intervals & the BWM, and I've been much more consistent with my intervals after I moved the core exercises. Apparently, I don't always have the self discipline to finish my workouts with two circuits I don't like One I can manage...
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Great minds think alike!
    Tomorrow is a holiday here too, at least it is where I live and only once every 5 years for everyone else : we celebrate end of WW2 on May 5 and commemorate it on May 4. Since my town is where the capitulation took place, it is most abundantly celebrated here.
    Due to the commemoration many shops & work places do close early to allow people to be at home before 730 pm so they can be silent for 2 mins from 7:58 to 8:00 pm.
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Boom! Danish Dynamite

That's really interesting, Espi. In DK, it's not a holiday (today's holiday is called 'Great Prayer Day' - roughly translated). There's still some commemoration of the end of WW2 on May 4 (some people put candle lights in their windows - and there's a few official events as well), but not that much anymore.

Interestingly, a small part of DK (the island Bornholm) didn't get to enjoy the end of WW2 on May 4/5 as the Germans there refused to capitulate which resulted in heavy bombardment by the Russians in the days afterwards. And then the Russians occupied the island for a year afterwards! Nevertheless, the official date for DK is still May 4/5 - it is after all just a small island
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Oh boy, the past weekend is still hunting me. Saturday I went out with some friends to celebrate my semi-old status, and it was really fun. We probably had a wee bit much to drink, and that I definitely felt Sunday. However, I also woke up with a severe pain in my back - when I move, it's really hurting in my left trapezius (I think). The pain was better yesterday, and I decided it probably was best to skip workout as I assumed it would be even better today. But no. No improvement. I'm so annoyed and frustrated. And I don't even know how I got it. Dancing would be my best guess...

So now I'm debating with myself as to whether I should attempt a workout later today. Perhaps without the core stuff...

And to top it off, I also lost a set of keys!! How stupid is that?!
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

I did the same thing on Saturday - drank too much, and paid the price for it on Sunday, lol. I hope your back pain goes away soon.
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":2b0wpmy9
    I did the same thing on Saturday - drank too much, and paid the price for it on Sunday, lol. I hope your back pain goes away soon.
    It did seem like a perfect good idea Saturday night to drink Thanks, it seems to be improving, and with some patience... In fact, as long as I don't turn my upper body, I'm perfectly fine :tongue

I decided to give the workout a go as I wanted an end to stage 4.

Tuesday, 05/08/12: Stage 4, workout B4:

Dynamic mobility warm-up

'D1.' Side plank:
    45sec,
    45sec,
    30+20sec. (Couldn't hold it for more than 30 sec at my left side, so rested for 30 sec, and added 20 sec more).

'D2.' Plank (arms on swiss ball):
    55sec,
    55sec,
    55sec.
    Note: This was using a smaller swiss ball (55cm) than usual (65cm).

'D3.' Swiss-ball jack-knife: (With a larger ball than usual)

A. Deficit deadlift:
    47.5kg x8,
    50kg x8,
    50kg x8.

B1. BSS:
    11.25kg x8,
    11.25kg x8,
    11.25kg x8.

B2. Underhand-grip lat pull-down:
    50kg x8,
    50kg x8,
    50kg x7.

C1. Reverse lunge from box w fw reach:
    7kg(e) x8,
    7kg(e) x8,
    7kg(e) x8.

C2. DB prone cuban snatch:
    5kg(e) x8,
    5kg(e) x8,
    5kg(e) x8.

I wasn't bothered by my back at all during the workout. In fact, I felt it less than during my every day movements. But of course I'll try to notice if it seems worse or better when I'm cold again. I seemed to tire easily today - I had to struggle more than usual in the third set of nearly all exercises.

I feel I've been stuck in this stage for ages, so it's a relief being able to say: Bye bye stage 4 and bye bye BSS!
    Kira

Meet PRs

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Congrats on finishing stage 4!
    Weird how that goes.. no pain when working out vs. pain in everyday life. My best guess is that when you're all warmed up & sweating, pain goes away (and distraction helps a lot too).
    Ergo-log news site

Boom! Danish Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":2injprs9
    Congrats on finishing stage 4!
    Weird how that goes.. no pain when working out vs. pain in everyday life. My best guess is that when you're all warmed up & sweating, pain goes away (and distraction helps a lot too).
    That was my theory as well, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that even after I'd cooled down, the pain from twisting movements was significantly reduced. I've never experienced that before. I'm speculating that the workout which had no direct stress on the 'injured' part (ie not doing the twisting of neck/torso that sets off the pain) was beneficial in that it increased body temp and blood flow. And thereby it led to an increased flow of nutrients etc to the area and perhaps some white blood cells or the like?

Anyway, I feel much much better with my back. Hopefully, tomorrow's workout will do the rest of the trick

I have DOMS in my hamstrings today, which I haven't had there in some time. I guess it's from the added weight in the deadlift.
    Kira

Meet PRs