Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlifts and Downward Dogs

Deadlifts and Downward Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":11qhfolk
    Ummmmmm.....the pic of those macarons is KILLING me. WANT!!
    They were deeelish. We ate half yesterday and half today

Power Training
    Push/Pull for Strength
    April 23, 2012, A2-Week 9

DB snatch: 40lbx5 x 4 sets (
    bench press: 85x5, 90x5, 95x5 2 sets (these felt really good today)
    single leg get up: 5ex4 sets
    DB parallel grip push press: 30lbx5x4 sets

seated Russian twist: 22.5x10x4 sets
    plank walk up: 4x45s

Bench is moving on up, girlie! I need to look at this single-leg get up - it doesn't sound familiar: is it in the original exercise list for PT?

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":1g7k7i9e
    Bench is moving on up, girlie! I need to look at this single-leg get up - it doesn't sound familiar: is it in the original exercise list for PT?
    Yeah, its like today something just "clicked" because the bench felt so smooth. I didn't want to do any ugly reps (as in the words of Neghar, lol) so I didn't push for a set using 100lbs.

Maybe I'm not calling it by its proper name but its in the book. Basically, you sit on the bench and then using just one leg, while the other is extended out in front, you squat up to standing. Then back down until your butt cheeks touch the bench and then back up again. You can progress by using a lower and lower bench or even by adding weight. And then one day...POOF! ....pistol squat!!!

Sounds like a single leg box squat to me.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

I just checked and its called the single-leg bench get up in the unilateral knee-dominant section, pg 70 in the PT book. Actually the description doesn't include squatting back down to the bench and then rising up but I do that anyway to make it more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":37b7jkqa
    I just checked and its called the single-leg bench get up in the unilateral knee-dominant section, pg 70 in the PT book. Actually the description doesn't include squatting back down to the bench and then rising up but I do that anyway to make it more difficult.
    Just be sure you're not rocking off the bench when you come up.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":2eariyq3
    Just be sure you're not rocking off the bench when you come up.
    That's the hard part! Well, that and lowering with control and not plopping back down onto the bench. I'm always humbled by body weight exercises that are so difficult

I don't know if you ever listen to "The Fitcast"

http://thefitcast.com/

The current episode - #235 is about vegatarian nutrition. They get into a lot of details and offer some info about protein powders and sites to purchase compliant supplements. It may help answer some of the questions you have asked.

macarons! that might be my most favorite cookie ever. i have a recipe for them that i want to attempt, even though they sound complicated, but i haven't had a chance to try them yet.

you had a macaron tree for your wedding? instead of a cake? what a lovely and unique idea!

Quote Originally Posted by "TomK":2tvigrua
    I don't know if you ever listen to "The Fitcast"

http://thefitcast.com/

The current episode - #235 is about vegatarian nutrition. They get into a lot of details and offer some info about protein powders and sites to purchase compliant supplements. It may help answer some of the questions you have asked.
    Thanks for thinking of me and drawing this to my attention. I have never heard of The Fitcast before but will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by "cprunner":2tvigrua
    macarons! that might be my most favorite cookie ever. i have a recipe for them that i want to attempt, even though they sound complicated, but i haven't had a chance to try them yet.

you had a macaron tree for your wedding? instead of a cake? what a lovely and unique idea!
    I'm not even remotely a baker but I'd never attempt macarons. IMO they're best left to the pros I hope to one day try macarons at LadureƩ in France. Yes we had a macaron tree made of caramel sea salt and pistachio macarons. We held our wedding at a fancy French restaurant so the macaron tree was very appropriate. And, besides, we don't like cake :tongue

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":3lyijcrr
    I'll have to check it out. I think I have the reverse lunge as my chosen unilateral knee exercise for now, but the single leg interests me...mostly bc I won't need the barbell if it's bodyweight, and I HATE having to share the one rack that we have. And since I'm willing to show up at 4:50a, 10 minutes before the gym opens, then I usually get the rack first, but then I feel like a rack hog, ha! :tongue

I learn so much on this site. The only macaroons I have ever known look like this:

Yours are so pretty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by no mouse no more":wjs7bllb]I learn so much on this site. The only macaroons I have ever known look like this:

Yours are so pretty!!![/quote]

Those are macaroons (two o's). Macarons (one o) are toooootally different :) According to wiki:

[quote]A [b]macaron[/b] ([size="1
    French pronunciation: [/size][makaˈʁɔ̃])<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> is a sweet meringue-based confectionery made with egg whites, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond, and food coloring. The macaron is commonly filled with ganache, buttercream or jam filling sandwiched between two cookies. Its name is derived from the Italian word maccarone or maccherone.
    The confectionery is characterised by its smooth, domed top, ruffled circumference (referred to as the "foot"), and flat base. It is mildly moist and easily melts in the mouth.<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3]</sup>
    Here is an example of a macaron tree:

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":16eb8pva
    I'll have to check it out. I think I have the reverse lunge as my chosen unilateral knee exercise for now, but the single leg interests me...mostly bc I won't need the barbell if it's bodyweight, and I HATE having to share the one rack that we have. And since I'm willing to show up at 4:50a, 10 minutes before the gym opens, then I usually get the rack first, but then I feel like a rack hog, ha! :tongue
    I know what you mean. I've wanted to try the barbell torque for the rotational stuff but I feel too bad using the barbell from the rack "just" for the torque. I figure there are so many other ways I could do rotational stuff that it doesn't seem fair to hog the rack for the torque.

I like the single leg get up because all it takes is a bench so I'm guaranteed to not have to share/wait for equipment for that. If you want to make it harder, just use a lower bench OR slow the rate at which you do it OR use smal dumbbells OR even try for a pistol squat (which is my eventual goal).

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":27lhp2pc
    Those are macaroons (two o's). Macarons (one o) are toooootally different According to wiki:

Here is an example of a macaron tree:

Hahahahaha! Ooops! Sorry I am a MAROON!!!!!

So macaron =/= macaroon??? I was just like NM, thought they were the same thing... wow, live and learn!
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

^If you ever have the chance....definitely try macarons (one o, lol)!

Power Training
    Push/Pull for Strength
    April 25, 2012 B2-Week 9

DB snatch: 40lb DBx5x 4 sets
    Good mornings: 85lb x5, 90lb 5x3
    chin ups: 5x 5lbs weighted, 5 x 10lb weighted, 4 x 10 lb weighted, 5x 5 lb weighted
    2 point row: 50lb DB x5 x 4

rotational: DB swivel on stability ball 4x10 x 22.5lb DB
    (didn't feel like doing planks today, I spent too much time chatting so had to cut something)
    KW swings: 12 sets of 15 swings

Felt great again today. I surprised even myself with the weighted chins. I did a bit too much talking again at the gym. I usually just keep to myself but lately people have been finding reason to chat me up so I just roll with it. But I can talk up a storm in no time and then I realize that 15 mins has gone by. Its nice to know people at the gym but I got my workouts done quicker when I stayed more anonymous, lol.

So that concludes Week 7-9. I have weeks 10-12 left. But since I leave for Peru in a week I think I will leave the entire phase for after I get back instead of doing week 10 and then breaking up the phase. Initially I told myself, I'd take a total week off the week before we leave for Peru so that I can fuel up and rest. BUT, I'm already mentally scheduling some yoga sessions and am thinking of hitting the gym for a few days of HIIT. We'll see how I feel day by day!

Also, forgot to mention that callus development is coming along quite nicely :tongue I used to be scared to lose the gloves but now that I did, I don't miss them.

BLZ

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":3vyvphh9
    Also, forgot to mention that callus development is coming along quite nicely :tongue I used to be scared to lose the gloves but now that I did, I don't miss them.

Like.