Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlifts and Downward Dogs

Deadlifts and Downward Dogs

Glad you are back, we missed you!

Hello there.. so nice to see you had a great trip: tell us about it!
    When is your own gym ready again? Would you know that 1.25kg plates (the eq of 2.5lbs) aren't all that common either in many gyms? It was a deal-breaker once in picking out gyms.
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Welcome back! It's great to hear you had such a wonderful trip
    Kira
    My log: http://jpfitness.com/showthread.php?...e&goto=newpost

Meet PRs / Training PRs
    Squat: 92.5kg (204lb)
    Bench: 50kg (110lb) / 52.5kg (116lb)
    DL: 125kg (275lb) / 130kg (286lb)

I'll try to post some pics from the trip when we get them all sorted out. I think we took about 3000....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":14zk0hha
    Hello there.. so nice to see you had a great trip: tell us about it!
    When is your own gym ready again? Would you know that 1.25kg plates (the eq of 2.5lbs) aren't all that common either in many gyms? It was a deal-breaker once in picking out gyms.
    Huh. Well maybe I'm just slow to move up in weight but I find being able to go up just 5 lbs very valuable instead of having to go up by 10 full lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":81uwsj0u
    Huh. Well maybe I'm just slow to move up in weight but I find being able to go up just 5 lbs very valuable instead of having to go up by 10 full lbs.
    You're not slow. Those gyms are just not well stocked

Welcome back!
    My workout log

Currently training for two.

Hi, hi!! Welcome back! Can't wait to hear more about your trip, and yes, pics if you have 'em.

I didn't get around to logging the last few workouts so here they all are....

May 30: Week 10
    Power Training: A1

DB snatch: 40x3, 45x3, 45x3, 40x3
    squat: 75x5, 85x3, 85x2, 95x1
    shoulder press: 55x5, 55x3, 65x2, 65x1 (there were no 2.5 lb plates at the gym I went to so had to go up by 10lb)
    alt DB incline chest press: 35x5, 35x3, 40x2, 40x1
    Russian twist: 4x8 (25lbDB)
    2 pt plank: 4x 30seconds (e)

This was my first workout back after 3.5 weeks away from the gym. Boy what a difference a few weeks makes! I didn't feel strong at all today

June 3: Week 10
    Power Training: B1

DB snatch: 4x3x40lb
    SLRDL: 65x5, 75x3, 85x2, 90x1
    bent over rows: 70x5, 75x3, 80x2, 85x1
    single arm lat pulldown: 57.5x5, 57.5x3, 62.5x2, 62.5x1
    step up plank: 4x45s
    ball swivel with DB: 4x8 (25lb DB)

-Twelve rounds of 35lb KB swings (12-15 swings per round). This felt SO tough today.

June 5: Week 10
    Power Training: A2

DB snatch: 40x3, 45x3, 45x3, 40x3
    bench press: 85x5, 90x3, 95x2, 100x1
    singe leg bench get up: BWx5, x3, x2, x1 (because its just BW and the reps are lower I did them slowly)
    DB parallel grip push press: 30x5, 30x3, 35x2, 35x1
    plank: 2 mins, 90 seconds
    side plank: 4x30s (e)

June 7: Week 10
    Power Training: B2

DB snatch: 4x3x40lb
    Good morning: 85x5, 90x3, 95x2, 95x1
    2-point row: 50x5, 50x3, 55x2, 55x1
    chin ups: BWx5, x5, x3, x2 (the belt to load weight onto went missing but I was tired so could only manage BW anyway)
    elevated plank: 60s, 52s, 56s, 44s
    kneeling cable wood chop: 4x8x70lb (e)

June 9: Week 11
    Power Training: A1

DB snatch: 40x3, 45x3, 40x3, 30x3
    squat: 80x5, 85x3, 95x2, 100x1, 105x1 **
    shoulder press: 60x5, 65x3, 70x2, 75x1
    alt. DB incline chest press: 35x5, 35x3, 35x2, 40x1
    Russian twist: 4x8x25lb(e)
    2 point plank: 4x30s (e)

**Between sets I looked back in my log and saw that I squatted 105lb in Week 6 so I figured I should eke out another rep just to see so that's why I did a fifth set. I just received Starting Strength and while I've only yet flipped through it, I briefly saw something about looking down while squatting. I have always been looking up. Today I tried looking down instead and I *feel* like it helped me push back up from the bottom. Also, I thought to myself: Don't stand there all day and obsess about form...just squat the damn weight! Seemed to help :tongue

Not sure why I still can't use the 45lb DB for all sets/reps of the DB snatch. I feel like when I use the 45lb DB that its not all hip drive making the weight fly up and I'm using my arm to lift it at the end. So I figure I should just stick to the 40lber.

Oh goodness, I canNOT look down when I squat. I don't look straight up, but I can't look down and keep my chest up at the same time. I read an artcile about how you're supposed to look straight ahead, but there's a mirror in front of me, and all the movement in the background distracts me.

Here's Rippetoe's thoughts/explanation on that -- FWIW:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/texasbbq-2.htm
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

BLZ

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":1ek2uzfp
    Oh goodness, I canNOT look down when I squat. I don't look straight up, but I can't look down and keep my chest up at the same time. I read an artcile about how you're supposed to look straight ahead, but there's a mirror in front of me, and all the movement in the background distracts me.
    I've heard a variety of recommendations from different sources. I really think you just have to find what works best for you depending on your own tendencies and strengths/weaknesses. I personally look up, as that helps me keep my chest up also.

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":19x0izm3
    Interesting. I remember someone drew my attention a while ago to a set of instructional vids on how to squat. Can't remember for the life of me whose vid it was but he was leading his wife through the demo. Anyway, IIRC in those vids he said to look up. Not crank the next up but look above where your eyes would go if you were looking straight.

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":19x0izm3
    Here's Rippetoe's thoughts/explanation on that -- FWIW:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/texasbbq-2.htm
    Oh, good link! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":19x0izm3
    I've heard a variety of recommendations from different sources. I really think you just have to find what works best for you depending on your own tendencies and strengths/weaknesses. I personally look up, as that helps me keep my chest up also.
    I'm still figuring out how to squat properly so I'll have to fiddle around and see what works best for me over time.

You are thinking of Matt showing squat set-up with Sioux-z as his "trainee". As BLZ said, there are a lot of different recommendations....which is why I put the Rippetoe link up there with a FWIW. See what works for you. I find I can do either, but as I go heavier, I tend to look up, as that seems more natural/comfortable. But, with either, it's the eyes.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":38l0blbc
    You are thinking of Matt showing squat set-up with Sioux-z as his "trainee". As BLZ said, there are a lot of different recommendations....which is why I put the Rippetoe link up there with a FWIW. See what works for you. I find I can do either, but as I go heavier, I tend to look up, as that seems more natural/comfortable. But, with either, it's the eyes.
    Noted. I still have to read Starting Strength after getting it last week. I'm sure that will clarify a LOT of stuff.

Had a great weekend, took the dogs to a dog festival And then today had a scare with one of the dogs. All of a sudden on our morning walk Lucy started hacking as if she was trying to clear her throat. She went on with it all morning until I had to leave for work. It bugged me all day and when I came home she was still sorta hacking. DH and I checked her throat numerous times but can't see a thing. I'm hoping she wakes up okay tomorrow otherwise I'm in for another day of worrying....

A number of other things happened today to make for a very frustrating day so I almost didn't go to the gym....but I did! Ran into the fitness co-ordinator and told her I was gonna use chalk and she said as long as I wipe up she doesn't have an issue with it so glad I got a green light on that one. Tried to convince her to get another Oly bar so that it can be used alone and not hog a squat rack and I couldn't convince her. She said she has too much broken cardio equipment to replace first and that I shouldn't feel bad about hogging the rack bc I'm a paying member just like everyone else. At least I tried....

Used chalk for the first time and it didn't make too much of a mess. Of course one of the gym bros had to make some smart ass comment about the chalk and my "Spartan" workouts :tongue .

June 11/12: Week 11
    Power Training: B1

DB snatch: 4x3x40
    SLRDL**: 85x5, 95x3, 95x2, 105x1
    bentover row**: 75x5, 85x3, 85x2, 95x1
    single arm lat pulldown: 57.5x5, 60x3, 62.5x2, 65x1
    plank w/feet elevated: 60s, 60s, 56s, 54s
    corkscrew: 4x8x22.5 DB (gawd I hate this one)

** (had to use the weighted BB bc rack was too busy..there was actually a line up at one point)

Were there a lot of dogs at the dog festival that she interacted with? It could be she picked something up. Kennel cough (bordatella) usually incubates for awhile so that's not likely - but I'd double check at the vet in case there's something "going around" in your neck of the woods.
    Approach with caution - I'm keto-adapting

WARNING: Written in minutes and fact-checked in seconds via Google. May contain unsafe levels of self-righteousness. Past cleverness is no guarantee of future results.

Training Log

"Please! One piece of pie won't make the difference and there's plenty of time to catch up! Each individual piece of pie is totally worth it."

Quote Originally Posted by "LisaS":3givq1qf
    Were there a lot of dogs at the dog festival that she interacted with? It could be she picked something up. Kennel cough (bordatella) usually incubates for awhile so that's not likely - but I'd double check at the vet in case there's something "going around" in your neck of the woods.
    She did and kennel cough crossed my mind. I also thought that coughing dogs are usually xrayed for heart conditions. She just turned one so I'm pretty sure its not a heart thing. I don't even think its kennel cough since she just randomly started choking on something during our walk and has been trying to clear her throat via coughing ever since. DH had her running around last night in the back yard and she wasn't hacking at all. Sigh. I'll def keep an eye on things.

When my female was a pup, she'd have fits of reverse sneezing. Those were really odd but harmless.
    Approach with caution - I'm keto-adapting

WARNING: Written in minutes and fact-checked in seconds via Google. May contain unsafe levels of self-righteousness. Past cleverness is no guarantee of future results.

Training Log

"Please! One piece of pie won't make the difference and there's plenty of time to catch up! Each individual piece of pie is totally worth it."

I hate when there's a line at the rack. It happens in my gym a bit too. Of course, a lot of the guys will actually ask me if I need the thing that morning before they let anyone else have it, ha! And I do the same for the regulars as well. I try to be "fair" but I guess I'm biased towards my "gym friends."

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":1lhw1ew5
    I hate when there's a line at the rack. It happens in my gym a bit too. Of course, a lot of the guys will actually ask me if I need the thing that morning before they let anyone else have it, ha! And I do the same for the regulars as well. I try to be "fair" but I guess I'm biased towards my "gym friends."
    Honestly, I've never seen an actual line at the rack. People constantly using the two racks, sure. But never an actual line up! I think its a "Monday thing", which makes me consider if I should bother going to the gym on Mondays. I even went later around 8pm bc I know that around 430PM the gym gets packed on Mondays. Its a good thing it wasn't a squat day otherwise I woulda had to join the line!

A line? That would freak me out to have people in line watching me and waiting. While there may be people waiting or watching for a rack to open, nobody blatantly waits in line at my gym. Thank god.

Plus, I'm more than happy to let someone work in with me, and vice versa. If someone WERE to stand there forming a "line" of some sort, I'd ask them if they wanted to work in, rather than just stand there picking their nose.
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":ob0pp2ka
    A line? That would freak me out to have people in line watching me and waiting. While there may be people waiting or watching for a rack to open, nobody blatantly waits in line at my gym. Thank god.

Plus, I'm more than happy to let someone work in with me, and vice versa. If someone WERE to stand there forming a "line" of some sort, I'd ask them if they wanted to work in, rather than just stand there picking their nose.
    I know! I asked the guys using each of the racks how many sets they had left and one guy pointed out that he had quite a few left but that there was already a guy waiting. I was previously wondering why the heck that one guy was standing in the same place for so long and when I asked him if he was actually in line he said he was waiting for 15 minutes already I couldn't even ask to work in bc one dude was benching and the other was squatting and I wanted to do SLRDLs.

I wish they'd get rid of one of the 2 towel racks, er, Smith machines and replace it with another squat rack. Tonight involves BPing so I'm going to NEED a rack. Fingers crossed...