Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlifts and Downward Dogs

Deadlifts and Downward Dogs

missjane's cute avi inspired me to change my own to one of my latest fave pics of one of our dogs. She always looks so happy after the dog park!

Another gym with no bench press stations??? Really?
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Off-topic: loved the other one better with your 2 dogs totally stretched out!
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":3r0ygtoh
    Another gym with no bench press stations??? Really?
    I think this came up in discussion before and you were surprised so maybe I'm the only one, lol. Nope, NO bench stations...two squat racks and two smith machines. But TONNES of cardio machines and resistance machines (is that the right word for things like leg press, leg extension, pec fly, etc. etc). Oh and lots of cable stations. I've tried pointing this out to the fitness co-ordinator but she said that "people" want the Smith machine and lots of cardio stuff. Hmph.

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":3rnr67oh
    Off-topic: loved the other one better with your 2 dogs totally stretched out!
    Doh! I loved that other one too This one makes me think Lucy is thinking "Whazzzzzzuuuppp??" so it makes me laugh

One of Violet's best friends is a Schnauzer named Lucy! And, I was thinking that your pup looks just like Violet's Lucy! Violet is such a spaz and Lucy is so submissive. As soon as I let Violet loose to go run and play with Lucy, Lucy immediately rolls on her back with her feet in the air -- totally submissive! Meanwhile, Violet is jumping around like a little jumping bean.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":2vyqax6c
    One of Violet's best friends is a Schnauzer named Lucy! And, I was thinking that your pup looks just like Violet's Lucy! Violet is such a spaz and Lucy is so submissive. As soon as I let Violet loose to go run and play with Lucy, Lucy immediately rolls on her back with her feet in the air -- totally submissive! Meanwhile, Violet is jumping around like a little jumping bean.
    Squuueeee! Our Mini Schnauzer does the jumping thing around other dogs....I call him a Mexican jumping bean, lol. Lucy, our Standard, was submissive when we got her in Jan (we got her at 8 months and I could tell the breeder hadn't done a good job of socializing her yet) but after many trips to the dog park and indoor play sessions she has come around. She used to not leave my side at the dog park and hated when dogs sniffed her butt and now SHE'S the one doing all the charging and butt sniffing and she plays greeter with Simon when new dogs come to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":2r6u087k
    A line? That would freak me out to have people in line watching me and waiting. While there may be people waiting or watching for a rack to open, nobody blatantly waits in line at my gym. Thank god.

Plus, I'm more than happy to let someone work in with me, and vice versa. If someone WERE to stand there forming a "line" of some sort, I'd ask them if they wanted to work in, rather than just stand there picking their nose.
    Mine's not exactly a "line." But basically those that want to use it kinda stay in the area of the rack, and kinda pace near it. It's bc there's only one and you kinda have to pounce on it when it's busy. I've worked with only a couple guys...the couple that I feel were approachable as there are some arses there. But most of the time I'm needing to squat or lunge or something like that and they're benching: a little difficult to work in when you have to keep changing the pins and such.

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":23l8qg67
    Mine's not exactly a "line." But basically those that want to use it kinda stay in the area of the rack, and kinda pace near it. It's bc there's only one and you kinda have to pounce on it when it's busy. I've worked with only a couple guys...the couple that I feel were approachable as there are some arses there. But most of the time I'm needing to squat or lunge or something like that and they're benching: a little difficult to work in when you have to keep changing the pins and such.
    Ouch, just one rack WOULD be tough. What I often do so that I don't have to hover at the rack is go up to the person using it and tell them to come and get me when they are done before they take the rack apart--this way no one else can sneak in there he he.

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":2zttbqd6
    Ouch, just one rack WOULD be tough. What I often do so that I don't have to hover at the rack is go up to the person using it and tell them to come and get me when they are done before they take the rack apart--this way no one else can sneak in there he he.
    I do this too, and like I said, most of us regulars offer to it each other first...plus a couple of them seem to feel like it's chivalrous to offer me the rack, mwahahaha!!

June 13-Power Training
    Week 11: B1

DB snatch: 40x3, 45x3, 40x3, 40x3
    bench press: 90x5, 95x3, 100x2, 100x1, 105x1*
    single leg bench get up: 5, 3, 2, 1 (BW)
    DB push press: 30x5, 30x3, 35x2, 35x1

plank: 90s, 60s x3
    Russian twist: 4x8 x 25lb

KB swings: 15 rounds of 15 swings

*I snuck in an extra rep bc I found someone to spot me. He was one of the trainers I trust and he told me that I'm holding the bar above my shoulders and it should be pressed up at the nipple line instead. He said the way I was doing it, my upper arm is parallel with my shoulder and instead it should be at about a 45 degree angle (mid way between shoulder and torso. IIRC this discussion was had in BLZ's log recently so I'll have to look it up. And get around to reading Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":3nvrrhpd
    June 13-Power Training
    Week 11: B1

DB snatch: 40x3, 45x3, 40x3, 40x3
    bench press: 90x5, 95x3, 100x2, 100x1, 105x1*
    single leg bench get up: 5, 3, 2, 1 (BW)
    DB push press: 30x5, 30x3, 35x2, 35x1

plank: 90s, 60s x3
    Russian twist: 4x8 x 25lb

KB swings: 15 rounds of 15 swings

*I snuck in an extra rep bc I found someone to spot me. He was one of the trainers I trust and he told me that I'm holding the bar above my shoulders and it should be pressed up at the nipple line instead. He said the way I was doing it, my upper arm is parallel with my shoulder and instead it should be at about a 45 degree angle (mid way between shoulder and torso. IIRC this discussion was had in BLZ's log recently so I'll have to look it up. And get around to reading Starting Strength.
    Oh yeah, you will definitely want to get around to reading Starting Strength. Take it slow and try to really understand what Rippetoe is saying about form. It's obviously not going to be the same as watching a video on You Tube but he does a very good job describing the movements with the precision of an engineer. It's just a brilliant book.
    "When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem."

-Emil Zatopek

I can't remember what B told me (and that probably explains my poor progression on bench, ha!), but I think it's below the nipple line, like just under the breast-line??

Quote Originally Posted by "eternal_beginner":1r4glwba
    Oh yeah, you will definitely want to get around to reading Starting Strength. Take it slow and try to really understand what Rippetoe is saying about form. It's obviously not going to be the same as watching a video on You Tube but he does a very good job describing the movements with the precision of an engineer. It's just a brilliant book.
    If I can get the book away from DH! He took a peek and can't seem to put it down. He is amazed by the level of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":1r4glwba
    I can't remember what B told me (and that probably explains my poor progression on bench, ha!), but I think it's below the nipple line, like just under the breast-line??
    Yeah I dug up the info in her log and she did say below the nipple line, which is not where I've been placing the bar until now Makes me feel like my efforts in the BP have been all for naught.

I know we had a lengthy discussion on the necessity of good form recently, but here is where and why I DO stress proper form when learning to lift. Because it's a hell of a lot easier to learn with PROPER form than to learn how to UNDO improper form.

Get the book away from DH, and I also highly recommend the SS DVD that Rippetoe has, too.

It reminds me of when I was learning oly lifts with my strength coach several years ago. She wouldn't let me practice on my own at the beginning because she was afraid I would use improper form and she didn't want to have to spend half of our session having me unlearn the improper patterns I was doing over and over again without her.
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":1fs3ikgf
    I know we had a lengthy discussion on the necessity of good form recently, but here is where and why I DO stress proper form when learning to lift. Because it's a hell of a lot easier to learn with PROPER form than to learn how to UNDO improper form.

Get the book away from DH, and I also highly recommend the SS DVD that Rippetoe has, too.

It reminds me of when I was learning oly lifts with my strength coach several years ago. She wouldn't let me practice on my own at the beginning because she was afraid I would use improper form and she didn't want to have to spend half of our session having me unlearn the improper patterns I was doing over and over again without her.
    I think its just been in the last few months that I've been putting more effort into better form. Better late than never. I don't think I'm a lost cause yet in the form department, I can definitely undo the "damage". What's the best way to unlearn the wrong thing and re-learn the right? Lots of very low weight reps to create some muscle memory?

Maybe I can spend a week after finishing cycle 1 of PT just going to the gym and doing lots of reps of things with better form (as per what I read in SS and here). I know I won't master anything in a week, but will it be enough of a better foundation to steer me in a better direction for cycle 2 of PT?

June 15/12: Power Training
    Week 11: B2

DB snatch: 45x3, 40x3x3
    Good Morning: 90x5, 95x3, 100x2, 105x1
    chin ups: BWx5, 5, 5, 4 (supposed to be 5/3/2/1 but weight belt still missing so I aimed for 4 sets of 5 reps of BW)
    2 point bentover DB row: 50x5, 50x3, 55x2, 55x1
    plank: 4x60s (feet elevated)
    seated Russian twist: 4x8x25lb

KB swings: 15 sets of 15 swings (15 mins)

June 16/12: Power Training
    Week 12: A1

DB snatch: 45x3, 40x3x3
    squat: 95x5, 100x3, 105x2, 110x1**
    shoulder overhead BB press: 65x5, 70x3, 75x1 (failed second rep), 75x1
    DB incline single arm press: 35x5, 35x3, 35x2, 40x1
    plank walk up: 4x45s
    kneeling cable chop: 4x8x75lb

**I watched some Rippetoe vids last night about hip drive and tried to bring that to my squats today. Boy did it help me get the weight up! I even managed a PR for a 1RM of 110lbs!

I'm a bit disappointed that I failed at the second rep of my third set of OH press. I rushed into the second rep and then couldn't get it up. Generally though my shoulder press has come a long way since I started PT so not a bad finish.

Strong stuff here, amz! That two point row is particularly great, as well as the new and improved squat. I guess you are all the way back from your vacation weeks?

Yay for such an instant improvement on your squats! Everything else looks good too
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."