Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: My Best Foot Forward

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

Because of the way the upcoming summer is looking with lots of travel and overall time constraints, I am going to postpone doing the NROL4A until September when the kids are back in school. I'll train with KB's instead after I finish this program in a few more months. That should take me through the end of this year. Good to have a solid plan in place.

My Best Foot Forward

Hiya!

I was just wondering....when you do your handstand practice so you walk up and backwards against a wall so that when you are inverted you are facing the wall? Or do you kick up against the wall so that when you are inverted you back faces teh wall? Just wondering

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":2i2twpzy
    Hiya!

I was just wondering....when you do your handstand practice so you walk up and backwards against a wall so that when you are inverted you are facing the wall? Or do you kick up against the wall so that when you are inverted you back faces teh wall? Just wondering
    I've done both but I mostly prefer when I'm inverted facing the wall with my chest.

Anonymous

1/30/12 Stage 4 Workout B

Foam Roll

Warm-up

A: DB SLRDL
    3x8x20(e)

B1: Bulgarian split squat
    3x8x20

B2: Pullover
    2x8x15(e)

C1: Reverse lunge from box with forward reach
    2x8x20(e)

C2: DB Prone Cuban Snatch
    3x8x10(e)

D1: Reverse crunch
    3x8xBW

D2: Lateral flexion - position 2
    3x8xBW

E: Prone cobra
    2x120 seconds

Intervals: Performed Tabata instead due to time constraints

BW Squats for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds
    Running up my basement stairs for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds
    BW Squats for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds
    Running up my basement stairs for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds

Repeat cycle once for a total of 4 minutes.

Foam Roll

Notes: Tabata worked well for the intervals considering my time constraints this morning. Will have to monitor my weight because if I start dropping pounds, may have to do intervals every other workout. This was probably the most intense workout I'd had in this stage because of the mix of exercises (some of which I deem as necessary evils) and ending with Tabata. I'm feeling pretty beat but decent workout, all things considered.

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

Purchased a couple of yoga DVD's this morning. I went with Gaiam ones as I found them to showcase routines I was most interested in. Will try them out either tomorrow or Thursday which are my maintenance days.

I don't usually workout to DVD's but I have to get more familiar with the yoga poses so this suits where I am right now.

My Best Foot Forward

Good luck with the DVDs. Some people do really good following them. I've tried it myself, but I end up quitting pretty quick. But I usually do learn a few things that I enjoy doing, and then continue to just do that.

Keep us posted on what you think of them.

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

I will, rickvv. I don't know if I'll follow them faithfully forever either but I do want to perfect the poses so I can effectively do them whenever...eventually.

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

Yoga: 30 minutes

Did a workout on the DVD labeled, "energizing" and it was. The instructors voice was incredibly melodic and soothing. I'm glad I bought this particular DVD, well-worth the wait.

Just realized that I'm halfway through stage 4. Hard to believe, the stages are just flying by. Was re-reading the Abs book last night and the workouts make sense now. I was formerly confused but not anymore. I'm more than pumped to start that program. Figured out on the calendar that the women's program should run me right through May sometime.

My Best Foot Forward

Quote Originally Posted by "Stronger":1x6wmcrg
    I will, rickvv. I don't know if I'll follow them faithfully forever either but I do want to perfect the poses so I can effectively do them whenever...eventually.
    Don't worry too much about 'perfecting' yoga poses. They aren't really meant to be perfect. As my teacher says: there is ALWAYS work to be done in a pose and a pose is never complete (meaning there is always improvement to be made).

If you need pointers on some of the asanas I find the Yoga Journal website has a very good inventory of poses with detailed instruction. Of course there are always the classic 'yoga' books that have great info as well. Good luck and enjoy!

Anonymous

2/1/12 Stage 4 Workout A

Foam Roll

Warm-up

A: One-armed DB snatch
    2x8x20
    1x8x25

B1: Step-up
    2x8x20(e)

B2: DB one-point row
    3x8x20(e)

C1: Static lunge, rear foot elevated
    2x8x20(e)

C2: Push-up - decline
    2x8xBW

D1: Plank
    3x120 seconds

D2: Cable horizontal wood chop
    3x8x25

Finisher: KB swings
    2x20x25

Foam Roll

Notes: I've had 25# dumbbells sitting in my hall closet for five months now and this workout had me actually using them...finally. Granted, only for the exercises that just required one dumbbell but still it's progress and it feels nice. Anyhow, not much to say except that my body is still feeling the effects of the "four minutes of pain" aka Tabata from Monday. Also, the KB swings had my glutes crying "uncle!" at the end of the second set. I wanted to continue but I know my body and decided not to let my ego be my guide so I stopped with two sets. That's still one more than last workout so baby steps. Happy (overall) with this morning's workout as I feel I pushed myself as hard as I possibly could.

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

2/2/12

Uphill walking: Total time was 45 minutes - took me five minutes to walk to the hill and then five minutes back home.

Walked uphill eight times this morning. It was about 45 degrees already as it's going to 60 degrees today so a "balmy" February morning, no doubt. What can I say? The lure of being outside was too great to ignore. Also, walking at an incline helps with the glutes so I'm onboard with that. I was going to do some yoga but the nicer weather was the deciding factor.

Re-measured my waist because I was curious and happy to report that since I started this program at the end of September 2011, I've lost one inch off my waist. Doesn't seem like much but remember until a month ago, I was trying to gain so my main concern was my waist size remaining constant. I had all but given up with my waist because of my build so this is unexpected as I wasn't really focusing on *that* area. Obviously, following the program does work.

My Best Foot Forward

likes!!!

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

Thanks, rickvv.

As a reward, I went to the mall and did some clothes shopping. I usually buy stuff for the kids but this time I bought for me as I feel I've earned it.

Although the lighting in the dressing rooms is no better than I remember it.

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

Pike pushups

2x15xBW

Practiced handstands against the wall only.

My Best Foot Forward

Quote Originally Posted by "Stronger":321297oi
    As a reward, I went to the mall and did some clothes shopping. I usually buy stuff for the kids but this time I bought for me as I feel I've earned it.

Although the lighting in the dressing rooms is no better than I remember it.
    Isn't that the truth? I think when stores figure out what a difference lighting makes in dressing rooms their sales will go way up. The only store that I shop with flattering lights and mirrors is Banana Republic, and oddly enough I get a lot of my clothes there. Did you buy anything fun?

Anonymous

My Best Foot Forward

ITA. You would think in this poor economy that stores would want to enhance the lighting so customers would buy more because they feel good about themselves but that's just not the case.

I usually shop at Brooks Brothers or Ann Taylor but I didn't feel like spending a lot this time so I went to the mall instead. I bought some summer pajamas, a swimsuit and a sleeveless sundress. I saved a bundle too as they were literally giving away some of the stuff.

Anonymous

2/3/12 Stage 4 Workout B

The I'm-Having-My-Period-But-Will-Attempt-To-Exercise-Anyway Workout

Foam Roll

Warm-up

2x8x20(e)

2x8x25

2x8x20(e)

2x8x20(e)

2x8x10(e)

2x8xBW

D2: Lateral flexion - position 3
    2x8xBW

2x120 seconds

Intervals: Planned to do Tabata, switching between jumping jacks and high knees, but seeing as 'Aunt Flo' had other plans opted for a relaxing 10-minute walk instead.

Foam Roll

Notes: As you might've guessed, I have my 'monthly bill', whatever you want to call it - it sucks. I hate having it and being in pain because it makes me feel...human. And when I'm doing these workouts, I want to feel like freakin' Wonder Woman not like some weak piece of shit in the throes of some semi-serious menstrual cramps. It's not um, fun, you know?? Anyhoo, I only did two sets of everything this morning, obviously. Maybe the next workout B, I'll attempt the SLRDL (at least for one set) with 50# total weight. We'll see how it goes. Only two workouts left in this stage and then it's onto stage 5. Woot. That's all folks.

My Best Foot Forward

Quote Originally Posted by Stronger":3p0prxpd][u]The I'm-Having-My-Period-But-Will-Attempt-To-Exercise-Anyway Workout[/u]

Foam Roll

Warm-up

2x8x20(e)

2x8x[color="red
    25[/color]

2x8x20(e)

2x8x20(e)

2x8x10(e)

2x8xBW

D2: Lateral flexion - position 3
    2x8xBW

2x120 seconds

Intervals: Planned to do Tabata, switching between jumping jacks and high knees, but seeing as 'Aunt Flo' had other plans opted for a relaxing 10-minute walk instead.

Foam Roll

Notes: As you might've guessed, I have my 'monthly bill', whatever you want to call it - it sucks. I hate having it and being in pain because it makes me feel...human. And when I'm doing these workouts, I want to feel like freakin' Wonder Woman not like some weak piece of shit in the throes of some semi-serious menstrual cramps. It's not um, fun, you know?? Anyhoo, I only did two sets of everything this morning, obviously. Maybe the next workout B, I'll attempt the SLRDL (at least for one set) with 50# total weight. We'll see how it goes. Only two workouts left in this stage and then it's onto stage 5. Woot. That's all folks.
    Nice job nonetheless.
    Harlan

"This is the strangest life I've ever known" - Jim Morrison

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Saving Nothing For the Swim Back - My Training Log

Follow me on Twitter: @hmsiegel

My Best Foot Forward

Quote Originally Posted by "Stronger":i60a6jrv
    The I'm-Having-My-Period-But-Will-Attempt-To-Exercise-Anyway Workout
    I feel your pain.

Well not really, but I do try to find something to be thankful about everyday. Today, I'm thankful that I don't have to go through what you're going through today.

Btw, it's Friday, my official weigh-in day. Last week I weighed 201.4. Today I weighed 201.4. So I'm thankful that I didn't gain any weight this week.

Good workout, hang in there.

My Best Foot Forward

We must be on the same cycle. Oh joy.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon