Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Do-Da-Dippity

Do-Da-Dippity

Hi, Bytsi! Your bench numbers are impressive in here. I know what you mean by moderation -- I think I'll go to my grave working on that. *sigh* I do like IF, especially on my lower calorie days. But whenever my life gets stressful (and there's no end in sight for that - been such a ROUGH year!), IF becomes tougher for me.

Do-Da-Dippity

.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·' Tracey

Do-Da-Dippity

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":11xiczya
    It seems I do best with all-or-nothing when it comes to food - eating in moderation is SO hard for me, especially in the evening. If I don't have a strict "YOU CAN NOT EAT THAT" I tend to cave and eat more than I should - even though I know it's not a good choice WHILE I'm eating it. So maybe IF would be a good option for someone like me........
    Hi Bytsi. This is me, too. Been toying around with a version of IF, FWIW, and so far so good. What's been working fairly well: 2 of Tracey's muffins (tweaked) with coffee for breakky (because I still want to sit and have some sort of breakky with the family) and then a 50g protein/350-400 calorie meal at around 3:00. If I can leave around 1000+ calories for 5-8 p.m., then I tend to just get too darn full to overeat, cheat, etc. Anyhow, good luck with finding something that works for you. It's just NO fun feeling "I can't have this" "I can't have that" day in/day out.
    Saqotu

Don't know who discovered water, but I am certain it wasn't a fish.

Do-Da-Dippity

[quote="tbrown1025":1a05tzf4]Hi, Bytsi! Your bench numbers are impressive in here. I know what you mean by moderation -- I think I'll go to my grave working on that. *sigh* I do like IF, especially on my lower calorie days. But whenever my life gets stressful (and there's no end in sight for that - been such a ROUGH year!), IF becomes tougher for me.[/quote]

I honestly don't know if I'll do it beyond a few weeks of experimenting. I need to see how it goes. TBH, Alan sounds kinda pissed off at me for trying it , but I want to give it a shot, unless he can intervene with something else.
    I see my weight drifting up - slow, but up... he says it's fine, but I'm the one who's been fat and I refuse to let it go too far and need a massive cut again. Better to stop the drift BEFORE it becomes a problem.

[quote="dillytl":1a05tzf4][/quote]

Hi!!

[quote="Saqotu":1a05tzf4]Hi Bytsi. This is me, too. Been toying around with a version of IF, FWIW, and so far so good. What's been working fairly well: 2 of Tracey's muffins (tweaked) with coffee for breakky (because I still want to sit and have some sort of breakky with the family) and then a 50g protein/350-400 calorie meal at around 3:00. If I can leave around 1000+ calories for 5-8 p.m., then I tend to just get too darn full to overeat, cheat, etc. Anyhow, good luck with finding something that works for you. It's just NO fun feeling "I can't have this" "I can't have that" day in/day out.[/quote]

I basically skipped breakfast and lunch, so I went about 19-20 hours between Saturday night's too-late munching and Sunday dinner. I still ate plenty (not a binge or anything, but I did indulge in sweet potato fries as my side dish)... and actually turned down meeting a friend for froyo with toppings since I had already eaten plenty.

My plan is to do 20-24 hours (which is basically skip two meals) twice/week as a starting point. It won't be on lift days, I need to figure out if it'll overlap yoga or not (so far not, but that could change). What you've been doing sounds more like what I already did - eat very lightly and save most kcals for evening - which doesn't work well enough for me .

[b][color="Blue"]5x5 Day 1 Week 2[/color][/b]

Med ball warmups

Foam Rolling

Deadlift - 5x90#, 5x5x150#

Standing Military Press - 5x5x70#

Lat Pulldown - 5x5x110#

Step Ups - 3x10(e)x15#(e)

Treadmill - 30 min, 1.5 miles

Yoga - 60
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

Do-Da-Dippity

hey you! just sending hugs! drifting up is noo fun! sorry!

Why doesn't Alan want you doing IF?

Do-Da-Dippity

Just stopping by to say hi! Hopefully Alan has a better plan for you if he doesn't like that plan.

Do-Da-Dippity

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":2u0cd6vx
    I just meant that I slid so my head was further under the bar/standards so that I didn't have to reach as far back to lift it from the racked position. I was a little worried that I'd whack the standards doing the bench, but it was fine...
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying to work on my bench technique, and am experimenting with all sorts of stuff right now.

I'll go along w/the chorus here - why is Alan not down with IF for you? But I'm sure he has a good reason for it...
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Do-Da-Dippity

Perhaps IF is not for everyone and it is after everything is said and done, still calories-in vs. calories-out.. ?
    Unless you're simply running out of steam too much so it interferes with NEAT..

All I know is that back in the days I was overweight I would do IF all the time and it didn't get me any leaner.. just not overly fat. Every time I skip breakfast I find myself leaning towards junkfood waaaaaaaaay more easily and slightly more cranky/unreasonable too. YMMV of course.
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Do-Da-Dippity

I kept wondering what Alan's objections would be too. When we heard him speak at the Summit what I remembered was that the timing of food intake etc was not as important as we had been lead to believe. A quick google search turned up this article that has a few hints as to what his objection might be.

http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html

Do-Da-Dippity

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":v25n3moh
    I kept wondering what Alan's objections would be too. When we heard him speak at the Summit what I remembered was that the timing of food intake etc was not as important as we had been lead to believe. A quick google search turned up this article that has a few hints as to what his objection might be.

Wow!! That's a really really interesting article, NMNM! LOTS of food for thought about those topics. Speaking of food...I think I'm gonna go have some protein for breakfast!

Do-Da-Dippity

Just back from yoga 75 - tough class! Kicked my ass

Quote Originally Posted by "RedWifey":kajw049g
    hey you! just sending hugs! drifting up is noo fun! sorry!

Why doesn't Alan want you doing IF?
    I think what's happened is that I've drifted just a tiny bit (we're talking less than 5#). But on someone 5'2", even 2-3# can make the difference between my jeans fitting or not. For me it's belly/waistline where I notice it first and most - and I've been avoiding my smaller jeans that I can fit only a couple pounds lighter. I've been hanging at what Alan considered an acceptable upper range of maintenance - but for ME, it's too wide a range and I'm staying up there instead of moving around within the lower end too...

So he wasn't understanding because his definition of maintenance was a lot more lenient than mine... He saw me as getting drastic when my weight was fine, but I didn't see it as drastic nor did I see my weight as fine. We're in the midst of some lengthy discussions about what and why...

Quote Originally Posted by "Karen411":kajw049g
    Just stopping by to say hi! Hopefully Alan has a better plan for you if he doesn't like that plan.
    Hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by "NYC_Native":kajw049g
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying to work on my bench technique, and am experimenting with all sorts of stuff right now.

I'll go along w/the chorus here - why is Alan not down with IF for you? But I'm sure he has a good reason for it...
    See above... and we're continuing to discuss. He's starting to see why (and what) I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":kajw049g
    Perhaps IF is not for everyone and it is after everything is said and done, still calories-in vs. calories-out.. ?
    Unless you're simply running out of steam too much so it interferes with NEAT..

All I know is that back in the days I was overweight I would do IF all the time and it didn't get me any leaner.. just not overly fat. Every time I skip breakfast I find myself leaning towards junkfood waaaaaaaaay more easily and slightly more cranky/unreasonable too. YMMV of course.
    I'm NOT sure, by any means, that IF would be right for me. It definitely isn't right for everyone, and I have no idea yet. I just want to give it a try and experiment. If it sucks for me, I won't continue to do it. I've already been mostly doing it 1/week by default due to my schedule - I'm just going to try to put one more day in. My version (so far) is the equivalent of skipping 2 meals in a row and then just going on with life afterwards... we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by "no mouse no more":kajw049g

Interesting article... I know there are downsides to anything - just need to see if the balance of pros to cons works in my favor or not... that's all I'm doing right now, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by "RedWifey":kajw049g
    Wow!! That's a really really interesting article, NMNM! LOTS of food for thought about those topics. Speaking of food...I think I'm gonna go have some protein for breakfast!
    Mmmmm... food :tongue

EDIT: Just came to a working plan with Alan - going to fast 2/week (skip two back-to-back meals) BUT going to do mini PSMF thing during the fast, which basically means get a bit (3-6 oz) of protein during the fasting day. We'll see how that works for me, and go from there
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -- Alan Aragon

Do-Da-Dippity

Sounds like a plan to me! (the PSMF snacks).
    FWIW, they always refer to Ramadan as bad bad bad idea but when you take away the stupidity of not drinking any fluids and staying awake at night to party .. the basics of it : eating 2 larger meals (protein+fat for breakfast and late night dinner with all the fixings) is what has been the easiest to comply to when it comes to mental state of mind.
    There is truth in how lean people don't tend to skip breakfast.

PS: your reasoning re 2-3 lbs upswing makes perfect sense to me.. wished I'd woken up sooner rather than having to get rid of 10+ lbs of fluff!
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Do-Da-Dippity

[quote="Espi":n726yahk]Sounds like a plan to me! (the PSMF snacks).
    FWIW, they always refer to Ramadan as bad bad bad idea but when you take away the stupidity of not drinking any fluids and staying awake at night to party .. the basics of it : eating 2 larger meals (protein+fat for breakfast and late night dinner with all the fixings) is what has been the easiest to comply to when it comes to mental state of mind.
    There is truth in how lean people don't tend to skip breakfast.

PS: your reasoning re 2-3 lbs upswing makes perfect sense to me.. wished I'd woken up sooner rather than having to get rid of 10+ lbs of fluff![/quote]

So far so good

Today, I witnessed idiocy in the gym to rival any of the worst things I've seen/heard. There is a guy (X) who is a client of the skinny/butless female trainer (the one who loves the Smith, has awful form on BSS's, etc). And there is a woman (L) whom I've known for 10 years and she's always been 30# overweight, never makes any changes... She even was the poster child (literally) for some iffy supplement/workout transformation program but she got hurt and quit (shocking, right?).

ANYWAY - apparently, L decided to ask X to train her. So for an hour (not exaggerating) they did every form of bicep curlz known to man. Every variation, and all done at a painfully slow pace to increase the burn. Lots of talk about the importance of isolation, other stupid crap...

I was doing squats and bench and lunges and bent rows today. They saw and started talking about my workout - the guy said that what I was doing was horribly dangerous. Bent rows can hurt your back (well, yes, if done wrong!), and squats are so risky that no one should ever try them. Stick to machines (and curlz??). He explained how he would never do squats except maybe in the smith because that's the best way to protect your back if you insist on squatting...

There are just not enough facepalms in the world for this... I wanted to tell L that she needs a different "trainer," but she seemed very excited about feeling the burn in her well-isolated biceps, so I decided it wasn't worth my breath .

[b][color="Blue"]5x5 Day 2 Week 2[/color][/b]

Med ball warmups

Foam Rolling

Front Squat - 6x45#, 5x5x75#

Bench Press - 5x95#, 5x5x105# ** hope to have my spotter/buddy back next week, when softball season wraps up.

Bent Row - 5x5x90#

Rear Barbell Lunges - 3x8(e)x40#

Treadmill - 30 min, 1.5 mile

Yoga - 60
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

Do-Da-Dippity

If she's known you 10 years, she knows what kind of progress you've made doing what you do, if she can't put that together, then I'd say X and L are made for each other.

oh and Hai!

Do-Da-Dippity

^^^ what he said.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

Do-Da-Dippity

Quote Originally Posted by "nate99":3qoohhu8
    If she's known you 10 years, she knows what kind of progress you've made doing what you do, if she can't put that together, then I'd say X and L are made for each other.

oh and Hai!
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jewel22":3qoohhu8
    ^^^ what he said.
    Good point.

Yoga 75 this morning... Show tomorrow afternoon at Macy's during their "Shop for a Cause" kickoff (at Chapel Hill Mall). That is all.
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

Do-Da-Dippity

Quote Originally Posted by "RedWifey":37go1m7w
    That article is from 2007, and written with Ryan...

For a more recent take on IF, check out the PN ebook on IF.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

It's by John Berardi, Nate Green, and Krista Scott-Dixon (also of Stumpuous.com, btw).

Do-Da-Dippity

Started off with yoga 90 - very sunny, very hot, tough class...

This guy behind me in class was GROSS. 1) When he unrolled his mat, a bug crawled out. Ok, last weekend was the outdoor practice, but - EW.
    2) As we started his mat kept inching forward more and more (why???), til he was literally on top of my mat. But he didn't adjust or move back. It distracted (and distressed) me badly enough that I actually had DH slide over (which set off a mini chain reaction) so I could move over and wasn't lined up exactly with the gross dude. He still got sweat all over my mat .
    3) At one point, his hand whacked my foot (because he was so far on top of my space), and instead of moving or saying "sorry" he grabbed my foot and tried to tickle me. NO. Not cool. I don't know you, you're gross, get the F** off of me!!!
    4) Finally, near the end, he picked up a face towel that wasn't his, and used it to wipe his sweaty face and head. The towel's owner (female) looked completely skeeved by this - as I would've been. When she asked for her towel back (I would've let him keep it), he just laughed and said "sure, no problem."

Yuck. Worst yoga etiquette EVER.

In more positive news, we played that Macy's gig, and I got to meet CathyS . She and her DH were very sweet and listened to us for a while... I admit we weren't at our best today - our bass player couldn't make it, and our mandolin player had a sore finger (post-surgery) and... well, we did our best... I hope Cathy comes to see us some other time when we're more on our game!

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel":aku5zehj
    That article is from 2007, and written with Ryan...

For a more recent take on IF, check out the PN ebook on IF.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

It's by John Berardi, Nate Green, and Krista Scott-Dixon (also of Stumpuous.com, btw).
    Thanks, Roland
    Bytsi

My Workout Log

CathyS

Do-Da-Dippity

Quote Originally Posted by "Bytsi":2b8azfot
    In more positive news, we played that Macy's gig, and I got to meet CathyS . She and her DH were very sweet and listened to us for a while... I admit we weren't at our best today - our bass player couldn't make it, and our mandolin player had a sore finger (post-surgery) and... well, we did our best... I hope Cathy comes to see us some other time when we're more on our game!
    I'm pretty sure your band made everyones day who walked by. You certainly made the day of all the Macy's workers There were tons of smiles. And your mandolin player is awesome! I had no idea he wasn't playing 100%.

Do-Da-Dippity

[quote="CathyS":t9qjmp00]I'm pretty sure your band made everyones day who walked by. You certainly made the day of all the Macy's workers There were tons of smiles. And your mandolin player is awesome! I had no idea he wasn't playing 100%.[/quote]

Aw, you are too kind!
    I think our mandolin player is pretty good too. It's funny, because my first night practicing with them, he was totally hazing me and giving me crap, being sarcastic and snarky - and I actually wondered if this would be one of those times when I'd eventually come to like him, and now I do really like him. It took us a while to speak each other's language (the mando has the same 4 strings as a violin, but it's fretted so I can't read his hands as easily as he thinks I should - and he can't read sheet music which is one of the best ways to show me what to play)! But now we've figured out ways to communicate better .

[b][color="Blue"]5x5 Day 1 Week 3[/color][/b]

Med ball warmups

Foam Rolling

Deadlift - 5x90#, 4x5x150#, 5x160# (inching the weight up sloooowly)

Standing Military Press - 5x5x70#

Lat Pulldown - 5x5x110#

Step Ups - 3x10(e)x15#(e)

Treadmill - 30 min, 1.5 miles

Yoga - 60
    Bytsi

My Workout Log