Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Girly-girl type question - what do you wear to the gym/workout?

Read something someone linked about feeling more confident going into the weights section of a gym by making sure you feel like you look good, and it got me curious what folks wear. (On another board where I asked, it's mostly yoga-type stuff; lululemon and those brands. But I draw the line at $70 for a tank top. )

So. Do you choose what you wear by what you feel like you look reasonable in, or by what's comfortable, or by what's clean, or what? Does it matter if you're working out at home vs. at a gym?

(I get wanting to feel like you look okay as a confidence booster, but women who have to have a complete 'face' of make up to work out kind of confuse me - you're just going to get sweaty and gross, won't it all smear and look bad anyway?)

I'm a SAHM of 3 kids with no budget for expensive gym clothes. I like a few things of quality gear for my running because that's something I spend literally hours at a time doing and quality matters to avoid chaffing So when it comes to the gym I mostly shop at TJ Maxx and the like and I've found they have some attractive gear that's fairly cost effective. I'm not looking to be the hottest thing in the gym only comfortable and my t-shirt better be made of a wicking material, no cotton on this girl! I would NEVER wear makeup to the gym and the hair is always in a ponytail, if I remember I slap on a headband because those flyaways can get pretty annoying at the end of my workout.
    Here's my fitness log: http://www.jpfitness.com/index.php/f...-beeps-is-back

Gap has a nice line. So does Old Navy. I love Fila, too. You can get great deals at Kohl's (they have discounted Nike and Fila lines), TJ Maxx, Marshalls.

Stretch tees and tanks are a must for me.

I love cute workout clothes, but it doesn't give me confidence. I just like to wear them.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

I mostly wear t-shirts I've collected from races to my gym workouts, and sweatpants. So I generally don't give much thought to my gym clothes.

BUT, I've spent $$ on running gear. If I'm going to spend 1,2 or 3 hours outside, I'm sure as hell not going to tolerate chafing, like RunningMama said.
    All whiners will be buried in shallow and unmarked graves. - Bad Ben

My occasional workouts are posted here

Anonymous

I've gotten all of my stuff to workout in at Kohl's - from the clearance rack. The outfit I'm wearing in my avi is from there. I'm a SAHM of two boys and workout at home so I wear comfortable stuff that's made with that dri-fit material to wick away sweat. No makeup (would clog my pores) and hair back in a headband as it's currently too short to put in a ponytail.

I buy quality shoes but my gym clothes come from Wal-Mart. I can't seem to pass up a $2 tank top.

baltimoreamt

Nike dry fit long line workout bras the ones that are like a combo of a bra and a shirt so that it comes down to your pants/shorts like this http://www.6pm.com/nike-dedication-l...ier-blue-white
    They are good at 1. controling the boobies 2. not smushing to painfully like some workout bra tops 3. have a smidge of belly flab control which makes me more comfortable and less self consious about myflab that I am trying to work away. I buy these on sales.
    Then either yoga pants(target sells eome dry wicking ones in tall that are really nice ) or shorts(target knols under armour outlet no particular place cheap and effective)
    I do this for all of my workouts and athletic activity except sailing.

Adidas stuff. We have an Adidas outlet. Just wear the same outfits over and over again. I never see anyone wearing anything fancy at my gym.

I wear moisture wicking for all my workouts but as to the name brand, it's not important to me. Basically whatever is on sale but with a Nike outlet close by alot of my stuff is Nike.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact,
    just surrounding yourself with assholes. -- William Gibson

I do like to wear cute work out clothes. I get a lot of my stuff off of the website The Clymb, they often have good brands like Lucy, Prana, New Balance, etc for good prices. I also shop the clearance sale at REI for workout stuff and outdoorsy gear.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own everything at Lululemon, the stuff is good quality and super cute, but their prices are stupidly high.

Quote Originally Posted by "mirliluck":2ck8x5st
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to own everything at Lululemon, the stuff is good quality and super cute, but their prices are stupidly high.
    Yeah, same with Athleta - I seem to have gotten on their catalog mailing list, and it's basically "cute, cute, wait, you want HOW MUCH for a tank top???"

(As I was 'blessed' by the bosom fairy, I am actually used to paying $$ for bras. So if these tank tops actually had properly supportive bras in them, then it might be different. But adding a shelf bra isn't exactly an engineering marvel, y'know? Particularly since for me I have to wear a normal $$ sports bra WITH the top anyway. )

I actually got lucky and just got a few pairs of workout pants from a friend who bought them and then decided she didn't like the fit or something. (She is very tall and I am not, so it might be the length.) Dunno why she gave them to me instead of returning them, but hey.

I also really hate wearing cotton tops that get all soggy, so I think I'll check out Kohl's to see what they have. (I have no idea why, but it never occurred to me to look there for exercise clothes.)

Interesting that most folks here seem to prioritize practicality - pay the extra for performance clothing if it actually makes a difference to the performance of the clothing, not just because it has some brand name on it. The other board where I asked was much more fashion-y.

(Personally, I do not care how fashionable it is if it is uncomfortable or impractical for the intended purpose. Beyond that, I do like to feel like I look 'presentable' - stuff fits, nothing clashes horribly so that people flee going 'my eyes, my eyes!', preferably stuff is also flattering - but not to the point of caring what brand name is on it or fit it's all matched perfectly.)

Huh, I realize how backwards this is going to sound, but this is the first time I've heard of this moisture-wicking stuff. I just have a bunch of cotton T-shirts that I got for free at events or that I bought at Salvation Army for a dollar. They do look yucky when I start sweating and they make me feel kind of dorky, but oh well. What with the red, sweaty face, messy pony tail, and weird exercises that no one else does (inchworm? tennis ball soft tissue work?), I figure I can't help that.

Otherwise, though, the clothes I wear do sometimes help me with confidence in the "men's" area, i.e. the free weights room. I have a pair of baggy(ish) pants from Old Navy that for some reason just make me feel more badass. It helps to feel more badass when you're only deadlifting the barbell.

mbts08

[/QUOTE] It helps to feel more badass when you're only deadlifting the barbell. [/QUOTE]

I felt like a badass doing deadlifts tonight too! These are my absolute favorite.

I don't wear anything crazy. I do like flattering clothing, hey, I worked my ass off to get where I'm at.

mbts08

Quote Originally Posted by "fischflosse":3ovifzv8
    It helps to feel more badass when you're only deadlifting the barbell.
    I felt like a bad ass tonight doing deadlifts! I ABSOLUTELY loves these, my favorite.

I like to wear flattering clothing, I worked my butt off to get were I'm currently at.

piper01

I like to workout in semi-fitted tank tops rather than baggy t-shirts, but that's my only concession to fashion. I started wearing them in summer when it was unbearably hot, and liked them so much that I continued wearing them as my usual workout outfit when it got cold again. I feel like I get better under-arm ventilation in a sleeveless shirt, plus I love how they show off my arms! I've worked hard on them, and I want people to see them.

I wear plain cotton racerback tanks from Kohls in a color that contrasts with my sports bra, since it hangs out along the edges. I need to go pick up some more- I think they cost around $7. I love the C9 sports bras from Target. They're incredibly comfortable, but I'm also small-chested and don't need much support so a cheap bra works just fine for me. Shorts are generic brand from Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by "fischflosse":t6p2mczc
    Huh, I realize how backwards this is going to sound, but this is the first time I've heard of this moisture-wicking stuff. I just have a bunch of cotton T-shirts that I got for free at events or that I bought at Salvation Army for a dollar. They do look yucky when I start sweating and they make me feel kind of dorky, but oh well. What with the red, sweaty face, messy pony tail, and weird exercises that no one else does (inchworm? tennis ball soft tissue work?), I figure I can't help that.
    I will admit that I mostly like them because I have sensitive skin and sweaty cotton tends to irritate it. But I only discovered the stuff when I bought a couple of polo shirts from a riding wear company for Cheap and they were made out of wicking stuff. And they're SUPER comfortable to wear even when it's ridiculously hot out. (Though I suspect I'd feel kind of dumb wearing polo shirts to weight lift, even if they ARE wicking fabric. )

BLZ

I wear a lot of dryfit/heat gear type stuff...mostly Under Armour but a lot of Nike too. In the summer I wear a lot of t-shirts cut way low (like guys wear) so I can get a draft in there, as my gym doesn't have AC.

Colorista

Once I started wearing wicking workout gear, I couldn't go back to cotton. I just feel so much better when I start to sweat heavily; they don't retain the heat like cotton does, so I stay cooler and feel less overheated. I got the wicking stuff for hiking, but discovered that it works absolutely great in the gym too.

I have some fitted wicking tees that I got on sale at REI or JMS.com, and I have some men's-fit tees that I picked up at Target for $12. I use the men's tees when I do strength or any sort of floor work because the shirts are longer and don't expose my gut. The fitted shirts are for running and hiking.

I also have capri leggings for running, and a variety of capris (both snug-fit yoga types and looser, drawstring types) for gym work. I pick most of this stuff up on sale.

I do try to look 'cute' by coordinating my bandanna with my shirt. I have about twenty bandannas in a huge variety of colors and styles -- even the rust-colored men's shirt has a coordinating bandanna.

The one area where I don't skimp is in the underwear. Ex Officio undies are my favorites. Even on sale they're still around $11 a pair. Bras have been particularly frustrating, because I have been WELL blessed by the boob fairy. Usually I wear soft-cup Glamorise bras, but they only go up to an F cup and I wear an H, so I just make do with a poor-fitting bra on lifting days when bounce isn't a concern. But I found this fantastic Freya sports bra, and am currently saving my pennies for more of them.

I also look for dry-fit sports socks, preferably in bamboo if I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by "Colorista":qv1e7q53
    The one area where I don't skimp is in the underwear. Ex Officio undies are my favorites. Even on sale they're still around $11 a pair. Bras have been particularly frustrating, because I have been WELL blessed by the boob fairy. Usually I wear soft-cup Glamorise bras, but they only go up to an F cup and I wear an H, so I just make do with a poor-fitting bra on lifting days when bounce isn't a concern. But I found this fantastic Freya sports bra, and am currently saving my pennies for more of them.
    Panache just came out with a brand new, newly 'engineered' sports bra that's getting decent reviews also. (I have one, but I haven't taken it for a high-impact test run because, well, the rest of me doesn't Do high-impact unless I want my knees to be trying to plotting to murder me in my sleep. ) Though I can't remember off the top of my head what their size range is. Still, Panache is one of the brands that tends to be better about having a decent range, so maybe worth looking into?

I also like the seamed full cup 'smoothing' bra from Fantasie for active everyday types of things - like playing with the dogs - and I'm sure it'd work fine for lifting. It's a horribly unattractive granny bra (and I find the seamed one is way more supportive than the smooth cup version which makes it that much uglier) but since it's kind of a 'workhorse' model sometimes you find good deals on it.

(I have a couple others too that are okay, but I don't think they'd work for you. I sneak into some of the more mainstream lines by getting a 36DD and then tightening up the band as necessary myself, since in bras that fit I'm mostly a 34 E/F so it's not a huge jump.) (And then while I am doing that, I think about writing cranky letters to Title 9 Sports and Athleta and all of those companies who are all 'whee, look, we're so inclusive, we have two tops for DD cup sizes!')

(And stop looking at me like that, I could write an entire THREAD all by myself about bras. When I moved to the UK - where there tends to be a much wide range of sizes available in the big department stores than we mostly see here - and got into a bra that actually fit PROPERLY it was such a huge shock and such a big difference in comfort that I can get a little passionate about the topic. )

Quote Originally Posted by "piper01":1ns3t8f3
    I feel like I get better under-arm ventilation in a sleeveless shirt, plus I love how they show off my arms! I've worked hard on them, and I want people to see them.
    Amen to the underarm thing. Unless it is freezing, I wear tank tops. That is where most of the sweat is!
    Quote Originally Posted by "fischflosse":1ns3t8f3

....It helps to feel more badass when you're only deadlifting the barbell.
    No, when it gets cold enough for a t-shirt, most of mine were given to me at events. I have an odd shape, so they aren't flattering. I love what you said about feeling badass when you are DL the barbell. I'll be feeling like the queen of the gym, and I'll look over at one of the guys, and he'll have enough weight on that I wouldn't be able to lift it, brings me back to reality.
    "On the count of three, LIFT."
    "Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit."

http://forums.jpfitness.com/training...t-serious.html
    http://funandfiber.wordpress.com
    http://legraphics.biz