Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving N.O.V

Moving N.O.V

Cycle 5 week 1 3/3/3+(28 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Full body template(3/5/1 power lifting protocol) Phase 2 month 1

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 80%

Set 1- 150 x 3
    Set 2- 175 x 3
    Set 3- 200 x 3

Deadlift(training max@265)

Warm up- 135 x 3
    Warm up- 135 x 5
    Warm up- 160 x 3

Set 1- 190 x 3
    Set 2- 215 x 3
    Set 3- 240 x 10

Press(training max@120)

Warm up- 50 x 5
    Warm up- 60 x 5
    Warm up- 75 x 3

Set 1- 85 x 3
    Set 2- 100 x 3
    Set 2- 110 x 12

Thoughts: So I had to go to the shop this morning to pick up some materials. My boss said"you look like shit!" I said "Getting up at 4:30am and then driving an hour and 45 minutes followed by working 7 hours followed by driving another hour and 45 minutes or more tends to wear one the fuck out." We came to an agreement that if shit is caught up by Friday morning I can leave after half a day and get paid for 8 to compensate for my morning drive time. So I left at 11 today, came home and took a 2 hour nap and then commenced to lifting. It made a world of difference! I'm sure I could have gotten more for the dead but 10 reps is the max I will go. The press was the same reps as 110 on 5/3/1 week so I'm cool with that.
    Tony
    My Log:Moving N.O.V

Moving N.O.V

Cycle 5 week two 5/5/5 (29 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat(training max@230)

Warmup- 95 x 5
    Warmup- 115 x 5
    Warmup- 140 x 3

Set 1- 150 x 5
    Set 2- 175 x 5
    Set 3- 200 x 5

Accessory Work(all exercises done as a circuit minimal rest between exercises with 5 minutes of rest between circuits

Dumbbell Bench

55 x 5 x 3

Unassisted Chins

BW x 3 x 3

Thoughts: Pretty uneventful start to light week. I decided to sub chins for the T-bar rows. Not sure why, I just wasn't in the mood for rows today.
    Tony

Moving N.O.V

Cycle 5 week two 5/5/5(29 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 85%

Set 1- 150 x 3
    Set 2- 175 x 3
    Set 3- 200 x 3

Bench Press(Training max@145)

Warm up- 60 x 5
    Warm up- 75 x 5
    Warm up- 95 x 3

Set 1- 95 x 5
    Set 2- 110 x 5
    Set 3- 125 x 5

Accessory Work(all exercises done as a circuit minimal rest between exercises with 5 minutes of rest between circuits)

Lying Triceps Extension

90 x 5 x 2

Good Mornings

145 x 5 x 2

Thoughts: I sure am glad it's light week. I slept like shit last night and it showed today. Every single set felt heavy. The 200 pound squats felt like what I think 400 would feel like. Bench press wasn't any better. during the assistance I nearly dropped the curl bar on myself trying to get it back down to my thighs after the 5th rep. I did one more set of GMs and called it a day. On another note, last night I read Wendler's new 6 week challenge. It is a 5/3/1 and rest pause template. It seems really interesting and I might try it after I finish all 3 phases of my Full Body template. The first time I ran the FBT I only got through the first 2 months(phase 1) and had to deload a few weeks for a mild low back pull. I restarted the FBT and got all the was through phase 2 and ruptured my tendon. I vowed to finish this round of FBT before I move on to any other template or program.
    Tony

Moving N.O.V

Cycle 5 week 2 5/5/5(29 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 80%

Set 1- 150 x 3
    Set 2- 175 x 3
    Set 3- 200 x 3

Deadlift(training max@265)

Warm up- 135 x 3
    Warm up- 135 x 5
    Warm up- 160 x 3

Set 1- 175 x 5
    Set 2- 200 x 5
    Set 3- 230 x 5

Press(training max@120)

Warm up- 50 x 5
    Warm up- 60 x 5
    Warm up- 75 x 3

Set 1- 80 x 5
    Set 2- 90 x 5
    Set 2- 105 x 5

Thoughts: workout was done yesterday. almost skipped it because of work crap but did it late yesterday.
    Tony

Moving N.O.V

Cycle 5 week three 5/3/1+ (30 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Full body template(3/5/1 power lifting protocol) Phase 2 month 2

Main Movements

Squat(training max@230)

Warmup- 95 x 5
    Warmup- 115 x 5
    Warmup- 140 x 3

Set 1- 175 x 5
    Set 2- 200 x 3
    Set 3- 220 x 12

Estimated 1RM using Wendler's formula:308(+14)

Accessory Work(all exercises done as a circuit minimal rest between exercises with 5 minutes of rest between circuits)

Dumbbell Bench

55 x 5 x 3

T-Bar Rows

125 x 3 x 2
    125 x 7 x 1

Thoughts: Same reps with 10 pounds more, I'll take it. Another let's dump on Culpepper moment just happened. Someone hacked my Walmart.com account and used some woman's credit card to order and have something shipped to Oregon. I live in VA. I don't know how the order went through but whoever hacked my account made that card and address my defaults. I promptly changed my password and deleted all of my payment methods then emailed Walmart. I'm sure my account isn't the only one this poor woman's card has been used on. I hope she finds out what is going on sooner rather than later.
    Tony

Moving N.O.V

Cycle 5 week three 5/3/1+(30 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 85%

Set 1- 150 x 3
    Set 2- 175 x 3
    Set 3- 200 x 3

Bench Press(Training max@145)

Warm up- 60 x 5
    Warm up- 75 x 5
    Warm up- 95 x 3

Set 1- 110 x 5
    Set 2- 125 x 3
    Set 3- 140 x 13

Estimated 1RM using Wendler's formula:201(+7)

Unassisted Chins

3 sets of 5(can I get a Hell Yeah?)

Thoughts: I am so psyched to have gotten 5 reps of chins at a body weight of 210ish. Other than that I am feeling pretty beat up. My shoulders,elbows and wrists have been bothering me a bit the last few days. I'm fairly confident it is the dumbbell bench press as I tend to bring my elbows down too far. I guess part of it could also be the LTE so next cycle I am going to sub those two out for close grip bench and maybe dumbbell pullovers or something similar.
    Tony

Re: Moving N.O.V

WORKOUT was done on Friday 5/3/2013

Cycle 5 week three 5/3/1+(30 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 85%

Set 1- 150 x 3
    Set 2- 175 x 3
    Set 3- 200 x 3

Dead Lift(training max@265)

Warm up- 135 x 3
    Warm up- 135 x 5
    Warm up- 160 x 3

Set 1- 200 x 5
    Set 2- 230 x 3
    Set 3- 255 x 10

Estimated 1RM using Wendler's formula:340(+13.5)

Press

Warmup- 50 x 5
    Warmup- 60 x 5
    Warmup- 75 x 3

Set 1- 90 x 5
    Set 2- 105 x 3
    Set 3- 115 x 12

Estimated 1RM using Wendler's formula:161(+7)

Thoughts: Not a bad way to celebrate my 2nd annual 40th birthday. Did some lawn mower sprints afterwards as well. These will probably be my last PRs for a few cycles. I am changing my focus to diet for the next 2 months. I will still be doing my 5/3/1 FBT but I may just go for prescribed reps depending on how things are going.
    Tony

Cycle 6 week one 3/3/3+ (32 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat(training max@240)

Warmup- 100 x 5
    Warmup- 120 x 5
    Warmup- 145 x 3

Set 1- 170 x 3
    Set 2- 195 x 3
    Set 3- 220 x 14(+2)

Close-grip Bench

90 x 10 x 3

Chins

BW x 3 x 3

Thoughts: What a difference a few days of rest and a few nights of good sleep will do for you. I got 2 extra reps at the same weight I did on 5/3/1 week. I also used wraps for the first time. I got the EliteFTS normal knee wraps and wrapped my knees per Rip's platform video. What a difference between the wraps and my EFTS heavy sleeves. I always swore by the sleeves for support and warmth but these wraps beat them hands down. I still had a little knee soreness with the sleeves but with the wraps my knees felt better than they have in years. I also switched up the accessory stuff to try and help my shoulder and elbow soreness.

Time to clean up and get ready to fire up the Weber kettle. Mother's Day dinner will be thick beef tenderloin steaks wrapped with pepper bacon along with baked potatoes and corn on the cob. all grilled over a hardwood charcoal fire. nom,nom,nom
    Tony

So, I was going over my spreadsheet today and if I am to reach my goal of being where I was pre rupture by the 12 month mark I need to start adding more than the standard 10/5 pounds each cycle for the squat and bench.I don't think that will be a problem since I am getting so many reps on my 1+ sets.I am already on pace with the press and deadlift. I think my deadlift will actually be much better by the 12 month mark. Next cycle I will need to start implementing this.
    Tony

Cycle 6 week one 3/3/3+(32 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 85%

Set 1- 160 x 3
    Set 2- 180 x 3
    Set 3- 205 x 3

Bench Press(Training max@150)

Warm up- 60 x 5
    Warm up- 75 x 5
    Warm up- 95 x 3

Set 1- 105 x 3
    Set 2- 122 x 3
    Set 3- 135 x 14

T-bar Rows

125 x 5 x 2
    125 x 15 x1

Dumbbell Pullovers

30 x 10 x 3

Thoughts: Decent workout. I ordered a pair of Mark Bell's Slingshot bands for my elbows. Those things are nice. I wore them at the top of my forearms and my elbows did not hurt the entire workout.
    Tony

I got my dead and press day in today(a day late). Me and the wife had tickets to see Luke Bryan last night and I had to decide between lifting or taking a power nap before we left. Since I had been up since 4:15am to drive to work I opted for the nap. The show was most excellent. I can see why he won entertainer of the year. It is literally a 5 minute ride from our house to the Virginia Beach Amphitheater and it took us from 11pm until almost 1am to get home so today I just did prescribed reps. I logged my paper and excel logs but won't bother to log it here. The lifts felt good and strong but I just wasn't into it today.
    Tony

Yesterday was supposed to be squat day but I got home to the news of Moore, OK. My daughter works at Petsmart in Moore and lives 5 miles away in OK City. I couldn't even watch the TV until I got a reply text from her. It was the longest 30 minutes of my entire life. She was at work but the tornado went right around the Petsmart even though she has a picture of it coming right at them.

I Did my workout today. It was less than stellar. I have had a huge case of "what ifs" since last night. I tossed and turned all night long. I just did my 5s squat and bench today without accessory work.

Squat 160,180,205 x 5
    Bench 100,115,130 x 5

I will say that using the Slingshot arm bands the last few workouts has taken away every bit of elbow pain I was having.
    Tony

Cycle 6 week three 5/3/1+ (34 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat(training max@240)

Warmup- 100 x 5
    Warmup- 120 x 5
    Warmup- 145 x 3

Set 1- 180 x 5
    Set 2- 205 x 3
    Set 3- 230 x 12

Estimated 1rm using Wendler's formula:322(+14)

Close-grip Bench

95 x 10 x 1
    105 x 10 x 1
    115 x 10 x 1

Chins

BW(215ish) x 3 x 3

Thoughts: Same reps at 10 pounds more, I will take it. I did something I have never done last week. I skipped a workout(press and dead) and kept on moving forward. In the past if I missed one due to injury or life issues I restarted the cycle. Since it was light week with required reps only I decided to keep moving forward. Next cycle I will add 20 pounds instead of 10 to the squat to get me on track to be where I was before injury within 12 months of surgery. Tomorrow will be 8 month and I am very happy with my progress but I know I can add more to squat and bench without much issue as I started them way lighter than I really needed to. Oh, and my diet has been shit the last few weeks. I get back on track for most of the week and then I go on a weekend bender but I'm not really concerned with it at this point. My goal of getting where I was is priority right this moment.
    Tony

Cycle 6 week three 5/3/1+(34 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 85%

Set 1- 160 x 3
    Set 2- 180 x 3
    Set 3- 205 x 3

Bench Press(Training max@150)

Warm up- 60 x 5
    Warm up- 75 x 5
    Warm up- 95 x 3

Set 1- 115 x 5
    Set 2- 130 x 3
    Set 3- 145 x 16

Estimated 1RM using Wendler's formula:222(+21)

Dumbbell Pullovers

30 x 10 x 3

T-bar rows

125 x 5 x 2
    125 x 15 x 1

Thoughts: I am stoked with my bench today. I also had an AHA moment. If I want to be where I was in 4 months I need to look at my log from before I rupture the tendon, go back 4 months and make those numbers my numbers for the next cycle. So looking at the numbers I would need to raise my squat 40 pounds, my bench 45 pounds(somewhat worrisome) My press is already there and my dead is already 15 pounds over THIS cycle. I am a little concerned going 45 pounds up on the bench but looking at me estimated 1RM from this cycle compared to the cycle before I ruptured the tendon I am only 3 pounds behind. I will have to give it some good thought. I guess it would only take me one workout to know if it was a bad idea. Maybe I could even take my deload week and try out those numbers. anyway, I am really stoked because so far my squat estimated 1RM has surpassed where I was before injury and my bench,press and dead are all right there within a few pounds. I am also considering going back to Kroc rows instead of T-bar next cycle as I think my arm is finally ready for them.
    Tony

I'd suggest injury prevention be the #1 priority - I think getting to and past your previous bench performance done safely if slowly would be your best bet. Just a thought.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo" post=1004832
    I'd suggest injury prevention be the #1 priority - I think getting to and past your previous bench performance done safely if slowly would be your best bet. Just a thought.
    for sure, but I am worrying about getting such high reps every 5/3/1 week being just as bad for potential injury. The more reps I do the more my elbow aches. The elbow is getting to the point where it doesn't really bother me anymore(except the day after a high rep workout) and the forearm numbness is very rare now. I think I will take deload week and do a couple of bench days to see how the arm responds to higher weight versus higher reps. using Wendler's formula(which I know is far from 100% accurate) puts me within 3 pounds of my last cycle before injury on bench and my last press workout was actually a better 1rm than my last cycle before injury. Granted my last cycle I was having very intense elbow pain for pretty much the whole cycle so that affected my 5/3/1 week as far as PRs go.
    Tony

Cycle 6 week three 5/3/1+(35 weeks post biceps reattachment surgery)

Main Movements

Squat 65%,75% and 85%

Set 1- 160 x 3
    Set 2- 180 x 3
    Set 3- 205 x 3

Dead Lift(training max@275)

Warm up- 135 x 5
    Warm up- 145 x 5
    Warm up- 165 x 3

Set 1- 210 x 5
    Set 2- 235 x 3
    Set 3- 265 x 8

Press

Warmup- 55 x 5
    Warmup- 65 x 5
    Warmup- 80 x 3

Set 1- 100 x 5
    Set 2- 115 x 3
    Set 3- 125 x 7

Thoughts: MEH. I knew during my squat sets that I wouldn't hit any PRs today. I also think grip strength on the deadlift will soon become an issue so I am definitely going to start Kroc rows next cycle. Still unsure about how much I will increase my maxes next cycle. As of now I am thinking 20 on squat/bench, 15 on deadlift and 5 on press. Both of my biceps were very sore the rest of the week(the left one more so) after the 16 reps of 145 on bench. I think I need to scale back on the reps. Also next cycle will be phase 3 of the full body template which is new territory for me. I am looking forward to the heavier squats every work out.
    Tony

So today(during deload week) I did a 5/3/1 bench press day with a 20 pound training max increase. I pushed 130 x 5, 145 x 3, 165 x 5(1+4), then after a 5 minute rest I did 165 x 5 again. 165 is the most weight I have held in my hands since before the rupture and I won't lie, it felt heavy as shit but the reps were solid. I could have possibly got 1 or 2 more on the first set of 165 but definitely not on the second set. I think I will make this my next training max and see how things progress during the cycle. I think it will progress well since today I wasn't exactly fresh. We spent the day at the beach yesterday and I was awake most of the night with a painful sunburn which most definitely affected my bench today because it was none to comfortable with sunburned shoulders.

I also ordered a set of micro plates from Christian's Fitness today. They were $50 shipped but now I can set my excel sheet to round to the nearest half pound on bench and press instead of the nearest 5 pounds. The biggest problem with taking the bench and press up 5 pounds a week with my lowest plates being 2.5 pounds is I have to repeat weights some cycles as I could only set my spread sheet to round to the nearest 5 pounds. Now I can progress with the correct weights every week. I wish I had went ahead and ordered them when I was released to start lifting again.
    Tony

Sounds like everything is going really well.
    Its always hard to know when to push things after an injury,
    But it seems like you have plenty of room to move up if you are
    hitting 16 reps on the last set. You could aim for half the reps and still
    be fairly conservative and safe.
    Mark

If you think lifting weights is dangerous, try being weak. Being weak is dangerous. - President Contreras

I only believe in Training to be Awesome. - Wendler

Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

Thanks. I really think 16 reps on 5/3/1 week is way too much and I attribute that to being afraid to set my first training max where it probably should have been so now my last set of the cycle are through the roof. My arm is a little sore today from yesterdays 165 x 5 but not any more so than it was the day after 145 x 16.
    Tony