Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrino fired

Petrino fired

Our football coach was officially fired yesterday. Really thought he would just get a slap on the hand. Have to hand it to Jeff Long. He did the right thing.
    Running slow is not a character flaw. Quitting is.

Petrino fired

Yep. He put the University in a terrible position. Putting aside whatever character issues this exposes, he hired his mistress, to whom he had already paid a large sum of money, in a shady interview process. He put himself and the school in a position to be blackmailed, to say nothing of employment law problems.

They had to fire him. You don't hire your mistress. If someone who worked for me did not already know that, I'd fire them even if they didn't have a mistress.

Petrino fired

I'm fascinated by that story and the Ozzie Guillen situation.

I don't see how the Arkansas AD had a choice there -- it was just too public an indiscretion.

But the Guillen controversy is different. On the one hand, it's scary that someone is censured for saying something he has every right to say. On the other, WTF was he thinking? How do you say something like that when you know the success of your franchise depends on the Cuban-American community?

Petrino fired

Quote Originally Posted by "nate99":gjhpwkvz
    Yep. He put the University in a terrible position. Putting aside whatever character issues this exposes, he hired his mistress, to whom he had already paid a large sum of money, in a shady interview process. He put himself and the school in a position to be blackmailed, to say nothing of employment law problems.

They had to fire him. You don't hire your mistress. If someone who worked for me did not already know that, I'd fire them even if they didn't have a mistress.
    Well said!

Petrino fired

It probably did need to happen, but I am really disappointed about it because Petrino was a GREAT coach! But he was seriously compromised... Even if they did keep him, one of his biggest benefits to the team - RECRUITING - would have really hurt the team. He did great for the Hogs though.

I wonder if they're going to give Malzon a call now. I personally think he'd so okay, but he's unproven as a head coach. He just got hired on at ASU and hasn't coached an actual game yet. But he was a pretty good offensive coach for UA, and separated from that whole Mustain debacle I think he would have led us to many victories.

I think they'll hire someone with more head coaching experience, but Malzon has definitely been the buzz around here.
    www.youtube.com/jpfitness <--- My channel

Like us on Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/jpfitnessforums

Petrino fired

Quote Originally Posted by "Jean-Paul":1sbqjel4
    It probably did need to happen, but I am really disappointed about it because Petrino was a GREAT coach! But he was seriously compromised... Even if they did keep him, one of his biggest benefits to the team - RECRUITING - would have really hurt the team. He did great for the Hogs though.

I wonder if they're going to give Malzon a call now. I personally think he'd so okay, but he's unproven as a head coach. He just got hired on at ASU and hasn't coached an actual game yet. But he was a pretty good offensive coach for UA, and separated from that whole Mustain debacle I think he would have led us to many victories.

I think they'll hire someone with more head coaching experience, but Malzon has definitely been the buzz around here.
    I am disappointed. Petrino could coach AND recruit. I have no doubt that he was going to take us to the LSU-Alabama level of football. Spilled milk now.
    All Malzaun would have to do is hire good assistant coaches. I think offensively he is Petrinos equal. He definitely can recruit. Kind of coach Mom and Dad would want jr to play for. I think the big question is would he take the job.

Petrino fired

Quote Originally Posted by "nate99":31jz9ip6

Still amazes me that very intelligent men can do something so stupid. And chasing a 25 yo? At 51? Tells me he has some serious ego problems. If I did feel the urge to go chase after a woman, it would be someone a heck of a lot closer to my age.

Petrino fired

DCB, I think that 25 y-o women are sort of universally admired by any age. Not to say that there aren't a ton of attractive women who are older. It's just that a lot of attraction (for men anyway) has to do with beauty and YOUTH.

At 25 I remember being very attracted to women my age. I still find them attractive at 44, so that never really changed. That doesn't mean that I would ever pursue a woman that young. Frankly I would avoid it like the plague!

Probably the biggest change for mature men though is that although we can look and appreciate, we generally find that we don't have much in common with someone so young, and that gap in age makes for very incompatible relationships. We look for and appreciate someone with life experience and common interests. I don't have much in common with anyone under 30 anymore.

You hit the nail on the head with regards to his ego though. I hope he has learned his lesson, but not so much that he can't ever work again. This should be an opportunity to grow. Hopefully he'll be humble and take his lumps instead of being defensive and laying blame on others.

I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes when he goes home to his wife and daughters right now.

Like us on Facebook:

Petrino fired

Quote Originally Posted by "deltacornbread":1ymi8zz9
    Tells me he has some serious ego problems.
    I'd count on that.

To be a successful head coach in big time college football (and to get an NFL gig) you have to be hyper competitive and really good at what you do. You don't get that way without having a certain personality. One can work really hard and live comfortably and successfully but never have a sniff of the big time like guys like this do because of everything they do to get to the top. In personal relationships, these types of guys are very "me first" and go after whatever they want. Very Alpha Male, if you will.

I'm no expert, but I've seen enough anecdotal examples to say there's probably something to this.

Also anecdotally, women seem to find these traits attractive, even if they come back to bite them in 30 years when their husband is chasing 25 year old tail.

Petrino fired

From our local tabloid, the Arkansas Times, the cartoon "Orval" takes a swing at Petrino.

Like us on Facebook:

Petrino fired

Also anecdotally, women seem to find these traits attractive, even if they come back to bite them in 30 years when their husband is chasing 25 year old tail.
    I agree. Just don't understand it.

Petrino fired

More salacious details...

They averaged around 20 texts a day back and forth over the last 7 months including up to the point that the story was breaking.

I don't see how you keep something like that a secret. Maybe it wasn't.

Petrino fired

Quote Originally Posted by "Jean-Paul":dpoot28y
    DCB, I think that 25 y-o women are sort of universally admired by any age. Not to say that there aren't a ton of attractive women who are older. It's just that a lot of attraction (for men anyway) has to do with beauty and YOUTH.
    Have to respectfully disagree. Are young women pretty? Yes. But am I physically attracted? No. And I say that admitting that I do see women 40,50 and 60 that make think DAYUM! I am married. But I ain't blind.

At 25 I remember being very attracted to women my age. I still find them attractive at 44, so that never really changed. That doesn't mean that I would ever pursue a woman that young. Frankly I would avoid it like the plague!
    Good advice.

Probably the biggest change for mature men though is that although we can look and appreciate, we generally find that we don't have much in common with someone so young, and that gap in age makes for very incompatible relationships. We look for and appreciate someone with life experience and common interests. I don't have much in common with anyone under 30 anymore.

You hit the nail on the head with regards to his ego though. I hope he has learned his lesson, but not so much that he can't ever work again. This should be an opportunity to grow. Hopefully he'll be humble and take his lumps instead of being defensive and laying blame on others.

I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes when he goes home to his wife and daughters right now.
    I would imagine that the often talked about SHTF hit!

Petrino fired

Quote Originally Posted by "nate99":3w1wok49
    More salacious details...

They averaged around 20 texts a day back and forth over the last 7 months including up to the point that the story was breaking.

I don't see how you keep something like that a secret. Maybe it wasn't.
    Probably one of those things known, but those that did looked the other way of because of who he was. Head coach of a successful Division 1 football program.

Petrino fired

I heard on ESPN he forfeited $18 million in severance because he was fired for cause.

That is one hellaciously expensive affair.

Petrino fired

I'm trying to figure out what a young, pretty girl like her saw in him?? Just the power and money, I guess. I just don't get it. When I was that young, there would have been no way!

And, look at her fiance....poor guy.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012...s-at-arkansas/

SNL should get some mileage out of this one.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Petrino fired

And the Taiwanese animators come through once again...

[youtube]zWb6M44LWYM[/youtube]

Petrino fired

And now, it's going off the rails completely.

200 messages exchanged with Miss Motorcycle Mania. (cubicle warning: link contains bikini pics)

Petrino fired

Yeah, he couldn't be more "outta there" at this point. His expensive mistake cost more than just his 18M contract. His whole coaching staff will likely be canned when new head coach comes in. Talented people who worked hard, supporting families and grooming a future national champion football team. I'm really beginning to dislike this guy more and more every day.

Like us on Facebook:

Petrino fired

LOVE that Taiwanese animation! I had no idea that our sports dramas were even on their radar.

Like us on Facebook: