Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: hypertrophy for fat loss?

  1. #1

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    I've seen this suggested in several places, including: http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic...Tips_For_.aspx

    I know that diet is the bigger deal, but is there some merit to choosing a hypertrophy rep scheme over strength for fat loss?

    For me personally, I'd like to tackle fat loss pretty hard over the next 3 months, meaning I'd be in a deficit and will also be working on lowering the carbs more than I'd like. Given that, should I choose a hypertrophy or strength program? (FYI: I'll be beginning a 2nd round of PT in a couple of weeks)

  2. #2
    MattKido
    Guest

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    I prefer strength for fat loss as it helps you keep more muscle during the cut.

  3. #3
    Administrator Roland Denzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t
    Posts
    25,774

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    A high volume program like that would be pretty tough on a low carb diet.

    We need to balance the controllable elements with the uncontrollable ones (or ones we are unwilling to control).

    You always need to balance calorie/food levels, sleep, rest, stress, studying, need for high levels of concentration, health, NEPA, days of exercise, amount of exercise, how close to max effort your lifts are, how often you come close to a max lift, rest periods, carb and fat levels, etc.

    The more stressors you have, can't change, or won't change, the less you should inflict upon yourself.

    If quick fat loss is your primary goal, then I would preserve muscle with two or three short and sweet lifting sessions a week, using low reps, staying relatively close to your max, but not so close that you get pooped.
    Roland Denzel @ EatWellMoveWell.com

    Author of Man on Top and The Real Food Reset

    Stop by my training log The Madness of Roland


  4. #4

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    I know Lyle Mcdonald says that of the three programming variables, Frequency, Volume, and Intensity, the one you really want to keep is Intensity, and you sacrifice Frequency and Volume if your recovery is impaired by diet.

  5. #5

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Lost Dog":y3h6xm15
    A high volume program like that would be pretty tough on a low carb diet.

    We need to balance the controllable elements with the uncontrollable ones (or ones we are unwilling to control).

    You always need to balance calorie/food levels, sleep, rest, stress, studying, need for high levels of concentration, health, NEPA, days of exercise, amount of exercise, how close to max effort your lifts are, how often you come close to a max lift, rest periods, carb and fat levels, etc.

    The more stressors you have, can't change, or won't change, the less you should inflict upon yourself.

    If quick fat loss is your primary goal, then I would preserve muscle with two or three short and sweet lifting sessions a week, using low reps, staying relatively close to your max, but not so close that you get pooped.
    This makes sense, and you've told me that before. And if I'm doing lower reps, but heavier weight, and at a deficit with lower carbs, then I shouldn't expect to see strength gains that I might be used to, right? (I feel better when I know what to expect.)

    And, so that I don't open a new thread: I've always had trouble finding the caloric sweet spot that works for me. I've tried 1300, 1500, 1700 cals/day with little to no results on each...or perhaps not the results that I want. Do I have more of a macronutrient issue then?

  6. #6
    BLZ
    Guest

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Quote Originally Posted by "tbrown1025":2ixpye9l
    This makes sense, and you've told me that before. And if I'm doing lower reps, but heavier weight, and at a deficit with lower carbs, then I shouldn't expect to see strength gains that I might be used to, right? (I feel better when I know what to expect.)
    Yes, you definitely should NOT expect the same strength gains you're used to if you're going to be eating at a deficit with low carbs. You need calories AND carbs for optimum strength gain/performance.

  7. #7

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":39ollp4z
    Yes, you definitely should NOT expect the same strength gains you're used to if you're going to be eating at a deficit with low carbs. You need calories AND carbs for optimum strength gain/performance.
    I can vouch for this!! Right now my goal is to cut some fat. I knew going into this that I had to TOTALLY forget my normal way of training and to not have any expectations of strength gain. It just is what it is. I'm going to get in and get out of this cutting phase quickly and then I can again concentrate on strength. You absolutely cannot expect to make any gains when cutting carbs and calories. Impossible.
    Jane

    "Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

  8. #8
    Everythingsimplebutwell
    Guest

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    I agree, train for strength but just know that you won't make many strength gains while cutting.

  9. #9
    Ashleygibbs
    Guest

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    I am totally agree with missjane if you cutting carbs and calories than it is very hard to gain strength with it. As you know you need carbs and calories for gaining strength.So, you can't do both together. You need to keep balance your strength.

  10. #10

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Generally, train how you would if you wanted to add muscle mass, but cut the volume. The whole metabolic circuit training principle, when strictly looking at fat loss, is overrated.
    Scott

  11. #11
    Rob9575
    Guest

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Sorry to miller.

    So after reading the responses in this thread, I'm not sure that I'm doing the correct routine for fat loss. I'm just finishing Phase 1 of NROL-L which was 15 reps for most exercises. I'm moving into Phase 2 which drops it down to 10, but can go up to 4 sets(if desired).

    Should I be on a lower rep scheme i.e 4-6 or 6-8 instead? Thoughts on what routine to use if not this one?I'm about 500 cals under maintenance and have eliminated most gluten in my diet. I have less than 10lbs to lose and was hoping to transition to a lean bulk in Sept(assuming I hit my fat loss goal).

  12. #12
    AndrewDixon
    Guest

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Train for whatever you want. Fat loss is all about diet.

  13. #13

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    The two ways to lose bf is nutriton and cardio. Unless your cutting weight for a sport or a body building show its not rocket science. We all know what good fats, carbs and proteins are, stick with that and you will be fine. Remember get your proteins from chicken,lean beef and fish. Carbs come from fruit,vegetables,nuts and seeds. Stay away from boxed foods and sugars like candy and soda's. As far as reps train how you feel listen to your body.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,494

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Rob9575":3uewrojy
    Sorry to miller.

    So after reading the responses in this thread, I'm not sure that I'm doing the correct routine for fat loss. I'm just finishing Phase 1 of NROL-L which was 15 reps for most exercises. I'm moving into Phase 2 which drops it down to 10, but can go up to 4 sets(if desired).

    Should I be on a lower rep scheme i.e 4-6 or 6-8 instead? Thoughts on what routine to use if not this one?I'm about 500 cals under maintenance and have eliminated most gluten in my diet. I have less than 10lbs to lose and was hoping to transition to a lean bulk in Sept(assuming I hit my fat loss goal).
    I did Hyper I from NROL to lean out and thought it worked very well for me. I did it to try to ensure that most of what I lost through eating under maintenance would be fat, not muscle, rather than using the program to contribute to the loss as such (if you get what I mean). I thought it worked very well for that purpose.

  15. #15

    hypertrophy for fat loss?

    Quote Originally Posted by "djc":rdk12l4p
    I know Lyle Mcdonald says that of the three programming variables, Frequency, Volume, and Intensity, the one you really want to keep is Intensity, and you sacrifice Frequency and Volume if your recovery is impaired by diet.
    This.
    Dunning-Kruger - it's far more pervasive than we realize.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •