Thread: Raeesa's Training Log

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

Wohoo! Completed my first workout. So excited about this program. I've been lifting for about 6 weeks (although I have lifted in the past as well) mainly focusing on lower body, so I'm enthusiastic about evening things out!

Phase 1:
    Workout A #1
    BB Squat: Warm-up with 95#, 200#x4 new PR, 135# 2x15
    Push up: 30-degrees 2x15
    Seated Row: 70# 2x15
    Step-up: aerobic step at mid shin level BW 2x15
    Prone Jack-knife stability ball: 2x8 <---killer

Finished with glute strengthening:
    Hip bridge, BW 2x10 with 5s hold
    Quadruped hip-extension, BW 2x10 5s hold
    Lying Hip Abduction, 2x10 5s hold

Stretched, spending extra time on hip-flexors.

I know I shouldn't tinker with the program, but I'll probably be doing glute exercises only along Stage 1 of the program since the workouts are a shorter than later on in the program.

Raeesa's Training Log

You've been weight training for 6 weeks and you are squatting 200lbs? That is unreal. Are you sure you are squatting to depth?

[youtube]Al6BfwtNhOE[/youtube]
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Raeesa's Training Log

And here's high bar vs low bar:

http://vimeo.com/4772650
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

I squat to parallel. I've lifted years ago, so I'm not entirely "new" to the activity Although I can't say I've ever challenged myself to lift this heavy.

I'd love to squat ATG, but am currently working on flexibility issues. And I do high-bar back squat, although I need to alternate for more glute/hamstring focus.

I had a PT from my gym check my squatting/deadlift form before piling up more weight.

Started out squatting 135# and each week progressed a bit faster than expected...maybe because...

I've been doing boot camp type exercises for about 6 months: lots of lunges & squat variations...using body weight & then an old set of 20# DB and doing lots of plyos, box jumps, burpees, push-ups.

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

Warm-up as directed
    2x15: DL 95# - I used a squat rack's side rails that I moved on the lowest level to give me an elevation. I can do DL with 45# with better form but not for so many reps. So until then, I'll use the height modification. Without it, I can't keep my back in proper form.

2x15: DB Shoulder Press - 10#, yeah, definitely need to graduate to heavier weights. Still have reservations about shoulder explosive growth.

2x15: Wide-grip lat pulldowns - 55#

2x15: Forward Lunge DB - 20#

2x8: Swiss-ball crunch - um..yeah...this exercise feels weird. It doesn't feel challenging and I could definitely go on for a long time. So I'm probably am not doing these right.

Own addition for glutes using Bret Contreras' glute progressions:
    2x10, 5s hold:
    Bird dog
    Hip thrust, only shoulder elevation, need to find sturdier elevations.
    Clam

To run off the excess energy:
    Plyo bunny hops 2x15
    Box Jumps 2x8 18"; 2x8 24"
    Single Leg Box Jump 2x5 18"

15-min stretch, especially hip-flexors.

Definitely how I felt after 1st workout:

BLZ

Raeesa's Training Log

Just out of curiosity -- do you have any previous back issues/injuries? I only ask because your deadlift weights seem really low compared to your squat weights -- deadlift weights should nearly always be more than squats (when we're talking raw lifting, perhaps a belt only).

I'm currently dealing with a back injury so I was keeping my deadlift weights really low before I had to eliminate them entirely for a short time. Just thought you might be in the same boat.

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":374nti0g
    Just out of curiosity -- do you have any previous back issues/injuries? I only ask because your deadlift weights seem really low compared to your squat weights -- deadlift weights should nearly always be more than squats (when we're talking raw lifting, perhaps a belt only).

I'm currently dealing with a back injury so I was keeping my deadlift weights really low before I had to eliminate them entirely for a short time. Just thought you might be in the same boat.
    No back injury that I know of. Couple of reasons for doing lighter DL:

1) I've been squatting for a while, even years ago, so I feel comfortable with form. I'm not a "form Nazi" but I want to progress to heavy weights when I feel confident with form and work light when I'm learning an exercise. DL is a new one for me. I'm a bit weary if I'm doing it right. Yesterday was my 3rd time. I had a PT evaluate DL, and there were a lot of things I need to work on. So I'm not confident enough yet to pile on weight until I work through it.

2) Low grip strength: my hands poop out before the rest of my body. (DB shoulder press - 10 #) so there's definitely strength imbalance. Which is why I decided to use this book to even things out.

3) Although no back injury per se, I have mild-ish lower back pain from hip-infelxibility (only reason I hope) which I've been working on with much progress if I'm diligent. So again, I decided to go slow with DL.

And today lack of soreness told me that 95# was too light. I could do the reps, aside from my hands pooping out, so I'll look into using lifting straps?

Raeesa's Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by "Raeesa":vnukuufh
    Definitely how I felt after 1st workout:
    Love it LOL.

BLZ

Raeesa's Training Log

No need to pile on weight for a new exercise, just wondered if there were any other issues.

For your low back pain -- be sure to stretch hamstrings and glutes frequently too! After my injury, the more I stretch them, the better my low back feels. I don't know if you read in my log that I have taken a temporary step back from my geared powerlifting training to a more bodybuilder style training, and I'm not deadlifting at all for a little while all because of my back....but the stretching helps a lot.

BLZ

Raeesa's Training Log

Oh also -- soreness doesn't necessarily equal a good workout, so I wouldn't pile more weight on because of that either. Stick with what you're comfortable with until you learn the movement.

And also, I wouldn't use straps....you want your hands to catch up so you need to work them. I've never used straps to deadlift and I've never had an issue with grip, even pulling my PR of 370.

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by "BLZ":31psqdyz
    Oh also -- soreness doesn't necessarily equal a good workout, so I wouldn't pile more weight on because of that either. Stick with what you're comfortable with until you learn the movement.

And also, I wouldn't use straps....you want your hands to catch up so you need to work them. I've never used straps to deadlift and I've never had an issue with grip, even pulling my PR of 370.
    Good to know! Yeah, I'll go gradually, hopefully my grip strength will improve over time. I'm definitely spending more time stretching hip/quads/hamstrings/glutes now and it makes all the difference.

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

Did some hip mobility drills as a warm up:
    1. Front-Back Leg Swings
    2. Side-to-Side Leg Swings
    3. 4 Step Squat
    4. Reverse Lunge with a Twist
    5. Mt Climbers
    6. Fire Hydrant Circles
    7. Groiners

WOD-A2:
    1. BB Back Squat: ATG 2x15: 95#
    2. Push ups 30 degrees 2x15
    3. Seated Rows 2x15: 60#
    4. Step-Ups Body weight 24" box 2x15
    5. Prone Jackknife - stability ball 2x8

Own addition body weight:
    6. SL Front Box Squats 3x10
    7. Step-Through Lunges 3x10
    8. Side lung --> into curtsy lunge 3x10
    9. Glute Bridge 2x10 5s hold
    10. SL Glute Bridge 2x10 5s hold
    11. Fire Hydrant 2x10 5s hold

Raeesa's Training Log

Hey! Sorry if I can't find it but which workout plan are you doing?

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":344x1y0v
    Hey! Sorry if I can't find it but which workout plan are you doing?
    So I'm doing NROL4W (middle section of last post) and working on hip flexibility/mobility as warm-up using BLZ's recommended link (first section of last post)

The last section was my own addition using body weight, it's not part of the program. I'm just used to longer workouts than phase 1 so when I'm done with the workout for the day, I still feel a bit too energetic.

And instead of running around like a crazy cat at home, I just add more stuff.

Raeesa's Training Log

Ah ok. I figured you were doing one of the New Rules programs but I couldn't remember if the prone jack knives were from NROL4W or NROL4A.

Raeesa

Raeesa's Training Log

Getting more confident with DL, finally.

Sticking to the workouts and no more than cardio for the day for the total 60min workout.

[ul]
    [li]3min Bike warm up/stretch [/li]
    [li]DL off the rack: 2x12 -95#[/li]
    [li]DB Shoulder Press: 2x12 - 10, 12#[/li]
    [li]Wide Grip Lat Pull: 2x12 - 55, 70#[/li]
    [li]Barbell Forward Lunge: 2x12 - 65#[/li]
    [li]Decline Crunch: 2x10, body weight[/li]
    [li]30 min Cybex ArcTrainer[/li][/ul]

Started using MFP again and keeping an eye on macro percentages. Really focusing on getting enough water daily.

Kind of/sort of excited about next week's increase in number of sets.