Thread: New convert to Life training program

sugarbear43

New convert to Life training program

Hi All,

I just got TNRoL4L book and am all set to start Phase 1 after a couple days of vacation this week. I have a few questions that are specific to my situation and would appreciate any feedback. I've been working out on and off for a few years. Unfortunately, after I make some real good progress I revert back to old habits (diet and training wise) and end up back at the same disgusting position.

I played 2 sports through college and ate like a horse then after graduating, I kept eating the same quantities of food and ended up at 298 lbs from about 217. I never learned how to decrease my food intake appropriately and30 years of sitting behind a computer screen 8 hours a day for work has certainly caught up with me!

Now that I'm in my early 50's I've found the Life book to be just the ticket to get back my fitness and health in general. Over the last 6 weeks, I've been working out 6 days a week using some exercise programs cobbled together from internet research (3 days resistance training/ 3 days HIIT) and have gone from 275 to 255 and 31.2% BF to 28.0% BF. Not bad progress but SO much distance to still cover.

Now that I've committed to the Life program I am a little nervous about only training 3 days per week. I seem to have ruined my metabolism over many years of yo-yoing weight gain/loss so I feel I need to work 6 days a week to see ANY progress. Do you think it will be OK to do 30 mins of HIIT on 3 of the rest days around the weight training workouts of the Life program?

Another question I had was the daily total calories I should shoot for. I am currently trying to stay at about 1900 with a heavy emphasis on Protein (about 45%) and Fat (about 30%) with the remaining 25% for Carbs. My body seems to be very Carb sensitive so I try to stay around 100 grams of Carbs per day but that is very tough. My objective is to achieve 2.5 lbs of fat loss per week.

Also wanted to give a shout out to Lou - I'm your "neighbor" I live about 45 mins west of you near Reading, PA.

It depends some on your ability to recover. I'd try the programs as written (or developed by you) at whatever levels are appropriate and see how your recovery fares for a couple of weeks. You don't want to go hard now and then fall off hard in a few weeks. 1900 calories should give you good weight loss without extra HIIT that could break you down. If you have the time for it 30-60 minutes of walking might do as well.

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others might have different insights.
    Approach with caution - I'm keto-adapting

WARNING: Written in minutes and fact-checked in seconds via Google. May contain unsafe levels of self-righteousness. Past cleverness is no guarantee of future results.

Training Log

"Please! One piece of pie won't make the difference and there's plenty of time to catch up! Each individual piece of pie is totally worth it."

2.5 pounds per week is very good.
    Running slow is not a character flaw. Quitting is.

sugarbear43

thanks but when I'm at 28% BF, it seems like a chair off the deck of the Titanic... I do feel though that this time it feels different. I'm very clear in what my body needs for fuel as opposed to before when I'd eat unconsciously just to satisfy my cravings. I think that has been a big revelation to me and hopefully will allow me to solve this puzzle once and for all (of course coupled with a smart resistance training program like NRoL4L).

Howdy neighbor!

A few points:

1. I really like Lisa's idea of adding 30-60 minutes a day of walking to Alwyn's workouts. If you do those 3x week, you're getting the equivalent of traditional ST + HIIT. But it's still only ~ 180 minutes/week of total exercise.

2. As DCB said, 2.5 lbs. of fat loss per week is really, extraordinarily good. That's not rearranging deck chairs on an ill-fated transatlantic crossing. That's very serious body transformation.

3. But!

4. It only matters if you keep it off.

5. That's why the key for anybody in your situation is to effect that transformation with a training and nutrition program that you can sustain. Three Cosgrove workouts a week is sustainable. (I know because I've been doing the equivalent for about 8 years now.) Three of Alwyn's workouts + a grueling HIIT program, at our age, just doesn't seem like a long-term plan.

6. We haven't talked about diet, but it seems to me, anecdotally, that the broad parameters of your diet have to be not just sustainable, but compatible with your training program. I understand that it takes extreme discipline early on to jump-start a serious fat-loss program.

But when discipline lags, like I said, the framework needs to be something you can continue -- a basic and easy-to-remember set of rules or principles that make adherence automatic.

sugarbear43

Thanks for the input. I will take your advice and stop the HIIT when I start the program this week. Hopefully, I'll continue to see positive steps towards my goal weight/BF.

You are right on about a training and nutrition program needing to be sustainable. I think that's where I got off track in the past. I was on such difficult programs that it was nearly impossible for an older person to maintain it. Hopefully I'm a little wiser this time around.