Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lifts like a fish, runs like a cow

I feel like I'm moving in with the grown-ups here. My first log is in the Challenge subforum, but since I'm no longer in any challenge, I figured I should move out of there.

Brief intro: I'm 24, skinny-fat, new to lifting, new to sports in general, new to worrying about protein. I started NROL4W in January and I am now in Stage 3 (I hung out in Stage 1 for a while). I want to get stronger and to have good mobility. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will actually happen, though sometimes it feels so alien to my life so far that it's hard not to lose hope.

I'm an overthinker and don't have who to talk to about this particular hobby, so there may be a lot of ramblings on this log as I try to learn about lifting, movement, and just being in my body. There might also be bits about food, tea, coffee, books, podcasts, and Argentine Tango on the side.

No workout today other than lifting stuff and carrying stuff to help a friend move. (I wondered as I was carrying boxes and bits of furniture if it's possible to have good lifting posture when you're not handling weights by a convenient bar.)

But anyway. I listened to some podcasts today and 2 of them in particular stayed on my mind: the newest episode of the Fitcast (238) and Freakonomics' Riding the Herd Mentality.

The Fitcast episode was very surprising in its content: an interview with a "health counselor" about raw food diets. I'm obviously not in a position to comment on the scientific validity of preferring raw foods. I have no training and no background for that. But her rhetoric blew me away, not in the sense that I expected something in particular of her (I've never heard of her before), but that I was not expecting something like that on the Fitcast. She talks about enzymes: how cooked foods "draw on our enzyme stores", how we need to "add them back in" by eating raw foods. An experiment on cats is mentioned to support the idea that raw foods are healthier than cooked foods. Guess what wikipedia says:
    At the time of Pottenger's Study the amino acid taurine had been discovered but had not yet been identified as an essential amino acid for Cats. Today many cats thrive on a cooked meat diet where taurine has been added after cooking. The deficient diets lacked sufficient taurine to allow the cats to properly form protein structures and resulted in the health effects observed. Pottenger himself concluded that there was likely an "as yet unknown" protein factor that may have been heat sensitive.
    Hm.

Yadayada keywords: allergies, loss of hydrogen in cooking process, leukocytosis yadyada. I don't feel like reading up on anything for those. Let's fast forward to the "superfood" section. "[Superfoods] have the tremendous ability to increase the vital force of energy of your body and are the optimum choice for improving overall health, boosting your immune system, elevating seratonin production, enhancing sexuality, cleansing and alkalizing the body." So eat your cocoa (ahem, /kəkoʊ/, not /koʊkoʊ/; difference? maybe in marketing), goji berries, bee products, spirulina, etc etc. Oh, and herbs. "[Superfood herbs] are medicinal and essential body balancers that work with the body's function so that it can heal and regulate itself." Eyebrows raised, jaw dropped, boyfriend leaves the room in protest.

Because here's the problem. Yes, people can and maybe should eat some greens. Eating some raw foods might not be a bad idea. Smoothies? Hey, I just read about Dan John's experience with the Velocity Diet ("eating" only protein shakes and fish oil + 1 solid meal once a week). And I'm sure goji berries are a splendid source of vitamins and minerals. But the whole story is very unconvincing and makes one suspect some pseudo-scientific babble. Which, on the Fitcast, is very unexpected.

So I thought I was not at all more inclined to try a raw food diet after this podcast. Later, I hear on the Freakonomics about Robert Cialdini's (Prof. Emeritus of Psychology and Marketing, not, ahem, "rock star of the superfoods and longevity world") insight into herd behavior.

CIALDINI: Birds flock together in very neat patterns, fish school, cattle herd, social insects swarm together. So this is something that doesn't require a lot of cognitive capacity in order to trigger the conformity. All you need to do is to see what those around you, like you, are doing. And it's a good shortcut to deciding what you should do in a situation.
    Fast forward a few hours, and I refuse to go celebrate a moving job well done with a meal somewhere to come home and have a raw kale - lettuce - salad mix salad (with baked tofu for some protein). Later that evening, I'm researching kale smoothie recipes, because last time I tried to make one I really didn't like it. I have friends who are firm believers in eating raw greens and now there's this unusual Fitcast podcast. I guess I might really be that impressionable.

Oh, and eating raw kale? Too much chewing. Will steam or blend next time. And I will definitely cut the stems out.

07/13/2012 (Fri) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout A, 0 of 4 (trial run)

Warm-up: trigger point work, mobility & glute activation (2x6 single-leg hip thrust on 2 benches)

Workout
    D1. 3x(30sec + 30sec + 30sec) plank (can't hold for 90, so 30sec on, 30sec off)
    D2. 3x6x15lbs reverse cable wood chop (15 feels a bit too light, but 20 is impossible)

w-up: 6x5lbs for the snatch just to try it out
    A. 3x6x10# one-armed DB snatch (much harder to stabilize at the end of the jump, so I stopped here, but it was probably too light)
    B1. 3x6x15 single-leg Romanian deadlift (whoa, I can feel these so much in my glutes and upper hamstrings)
    B2. 3x6x35lbs (women's barbell) barbell bent-over row

And here's where my time ran out. I can't believe how much longer this stage is. I need to get to the gym much sooner to get everything done.

07/16/2012 (Mon) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout B, 0 of 4 (trial run)
    (with NROL4Abs stuff substituted for flexion exercises)

Warm-up: trigger point, mobility & glute activation (x-band walk)

Workout
    D1. 3 x 30s x 15lbs anti-rotation static hold
    D2. 3x5x15s elevated plank (feet on bench, up 15s, rest 15s, and repeat)
    D3. 3x4x15s elevated side plank (same as plank)

A. 3x6x45lbs barbell Romanian deadlift/bent-over row
    B1. 2x6xBW partial single-leg squats did them as box squats, to the bench. Otherwise I have ridiculously tiny ROM. Tried holding a light (5lb) DB in front for added stability, but then I could not push up.
    B2. 2x6x(5, half 5/half 4) wide-grip lat pulldown

And ran out of time again. Aaaargh. This is all my fault for not getting to the gym sooner.

That plank and anti-rotation hold session last time was grueling. DOMS all the way down the front of my torso + in my glutes. And still DOMS and tightness in my hamstrings from Friday's single-leg Romanian deadlifts.

07/18/2012 (Wed) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout A, 1 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point work, mobility & glute activation (2x6 single-leg hip thrust on 2 benches)

Workout
    D1. 3x(40sec + 30sec + 20sec) plank (can't hold for 90, so Xsec on, Xsec off)
    D2. 3x6x15lbs reverse cable wood chop

w-up: 3x10lbs one-armed DB snatch
    A. 3x6x(15, 17.5, 17.5)# one-armed DB snatch (well, I guess this is closer to the weight I should be using. Will try 20's next time, but I'm so pooped from this move)

B1. 3x6x15 single-leg Romanian deadlift (up next time)
    B2. 3x6x45lbs (regular barbell) barbell bent-over row (I'm pretty sure I'm not doing these right. I can't seem to make it a smooth movement all the way, and I don't feel it as much in my middle back as I used to feel rows)

C1. Here's what happened. Tried the DB single-arm overhead squat with 10/20, failed. The 10 makes me buckle. Tried it with 5/10, failed. Either I fall backward if I try to stay as straight as possible, or I lean so much back that the weight is not even close to "overhead". I gave up in frustration and did goblet squats.
    3x6x(32.5, 32.5, 35) goblet squat (should probably do more weight though)
    C2. 3x6x(15, 17.5, 17.5) [DB incline bench press] (try a 20 next time, just for the heck of it)

Bodyweight matrix. I only had time for one, since it seems that again I underestimated how long this stage would keep me in the gym. But F***, this is insane. I have to take a lot of breaks, and those lunge jumps? HA! For half of those I didn't quite jump from the bottom position, but pushed up first, then did some semblance of a tiny jump. They're so insane. It took me 6:20 for the whole ordeal, and then probably 5 minutes until I was able to speak again.

Nice to see you made the jump into the regular training log section. Welcome.
    Tom

Curling in the squat rack is like crapping in a urinal - Tony Gentilcore

Training Log, Progress Pictures, Kitchen Adventures, Classical Music Library, Extra Life, Mundane Ephemera

Quote Originally Posted by "stingo":305z6gjm
    Nice to see you made the jump into the regular training log section. Welcome.
    Thanks stingo!

I feel like I'm moving in with the grown-ups here.
    poop. hee hee hee
    Looking for some fitness product reviews? Check out http://www.otpproductreview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "gobbla":3rtf8y5z
    poop. hee hee hee
    Hmmm . Maybe not then.

07/20/2012 (Fri) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout B, 1 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point, mobility (no glute activation)

Workout
    D2. 3x5x15s elevated plank (feet on bench, up 15s, rest 15s, and repeat) (next do 20, 15, 15)

A. 3x6x45lbs barbell Romanian deadlift/bent-over row
    B1. 2x6xBW partial single-leg squats did them as box squats, to the bench.
    B2. 2x6x"4.5" wide-grip lat pulldown
    C1. 3x6 back extension (hold 10lb or more plate next time)
    C2. 3x6x3lbs YTWL (I have such ridiculously tiny ROM here and 3lb is all I can do... it's so embarrassing I think I'll go somewhere closer to the treadmills to do this)
    D1. 3x(45+45sec) prone cobra (I hate this)

And ran out of time again, so skipped interval training. I can't believe it... Not cool at all, not finishing the program.

07/23/2012 (Mon) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout A, 2 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point work, mobility & glute activation (2x10x55lbs glute bridge on bench - this really sucks without padding; wrapped towels around barbell but still sucked)

Workout
    D1. 3x(40sec + 30sec + 20sec) plank (can't hold for 90, so Xsec on, Xsec off) (kept feeling it in my lower back on the first set; tried shifting my pelvic position, focusing on engaging the abs and glutes etc, but I dunno why I couldn't avoid it)

w-up: 3x12.5lbs one-armed DB snatch
    A. 3x6x20# one-armed DB snatch (but starting to feel like the trajectory of the weight isn't straight up and down, so might focus on that a bit more before increasing weight)

B1. 3x6x20lbs single-leg Romanian deadlift (I think I've been doing them wrong until now, with 3 on one leg, 3 on the other instead of 6-6. oops ) (start with a higher weight next time and maybe bend the back leg just a little bit)
    B2. 3x6x45lbs (regular barbell) barbell bent-over row

C1. 3x6x5/20 DB single-arm overhead squat (tried 10/20, tried 7.5/20, and 5/20 is the only one that I can sorta-kinda-maaaaybe do. In a very crappy way)
    C2. 3x6x(17.5, 17.5, 15) DB incline bench press (tried 20 and could not stabilize at all: weight was all over the place from the very beginning; last set was 2x17.5 and could not go on, so went lower and did 6x15)

Bodyweight matrix
    1st: 5:30 (had to rest a bit in between exercises)
    rest: 2:00 (less than suggested in the book b/c gym was closing and had to hurry up)
    2nd: 5:50 (fudged a bit to finish, especially the lunge jumps; I fudged those a lot)

And I finished just in time to be the last person out the door. 2.5hrs in the gym. These are looong workouts, and my legs were like overcooked spaghetti afterwards.

Hey there.. the fun title lured me in!

Speaking of kale, not a fan of raw kale.. nor kale stew which is huge in our country, but I do enjoy crunchy kale crisps once in a while when I feel 'obedient' and want something crunchy.
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":14vr1uzo
    Hey there.. the fun title lured me in!

Speaking of kale, not a fan of raw kale.. nor kale stew which is huge in our country, but I do enjoy crunchy kale crisps once in a while when I feel 'obedient' and want something crunchy.
    Hey, thanks for stopping by! I've lurked on your log before for your awesome perfume entries. I think I'd have a perfume obsession if it weren't such an expensive hobby to have . Oh well. One day, when I have a real job .

There's nothing like kale or chard or any of these dark leafy greens where I'm from, which makes it hard to explain to people back home what it is that I'm eating. They'll say I eat like a cow (greens), or a horse (turnips, oats), or a bird (other cereal) :tongue . But they're abundant in my CSA share, so I'm trying to learn to like them. I do like them as chips, thanks for reminding me of that!

I want to supplement my gym time with some outdoor exercisey activity. I don't like running, but there are some nice rolling hills around where I live, so I though I'd get a nice light road bike and work my way to a point where I can bike up and down hills. I'm writing about all of this here so that when I get this bike, I won't just leave it to collect dust in a corner :tongue .

So I am now craigslist-hunting for a bike. The one I'm looking at right now I could get practically for free (the owner just wants to find a home for it) and it seems to be the right size for me. The downside is that it's very rusty in all the wrong places, the high gear is broken (as in, the wire is broken), and the brakes are a bit heavy. I don't know anything about bikes, don't even know what most of the parts are called, but I have friends who can help me fix it. If it's fixable, that is.

Do I get it or do I wait for something else... Pretty soon the undergrads will start pouring in and there might be more competition for used bikes.

Fitting well on the frame is the most important bit, everything else is replaceable (at some or higher cost)
    Ergo-log news site
    Perfume diet: "The result was the infiltration of perfume into nearly every aspect of my life touched by food."

Quote Originally Posted by "Espi":rv5zldqr
    Fitting well on the frame is the most important bit, everything else is replaceable (at some or higher cost)
    I think it fits size-wise, at least as far as I can tell. It's the mechanical stuff that I'm worried about. I budgeted $200 max for bike purchasing, so given all the repairs it needs, I hope this one is worth it. Most of the bikes I see advertised are more expensive to start with and more mountain bike-y.

Ok, I don't know what happened between 07/25 and 08/13. I think I had 2 more attempts of workouts in late July before I took off for 2 weeks back home. The 2 weeks were not super active. There was a hiking weekend, but other than that just walking. Since I didn't manage to finish stage 3 before I left, I started it again when I got back.

08/13/2012 (Mon) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout A, 1 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point work, mobility & glute activation (2x20 clams, 2x20 glute bridges)

Workout

A. 3x6x20# one-armed DB snatch

B1. 3x6x20lbs single-leg Romanian deadlift

C1. 3x6x(5/20) DB single-arm overhead squat
    C2. 6x17.5, 5x17.5, 6x15 DB incline bench press

Bodyweight matrix
    1st: 5:07
    2nd: 8:21 (gym was closing so I had to relocate to finish)

>> big gap in here; got lazy and stopped lifting for a week <<

08/22/2012 (Fri) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout B, 1 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point, mobility, glute activation (2x20 clams, 2x20 glute bridges)

Workout
    D2. 5x20s, 2x5x15s elevated plank (feet on bench, up 15s, rest 15s, and repeat)

A. 2x25#e, 1x20#e DB Romanian deadlift/bent-over row (gym was too busy and I had to wait too long for a squat rack)
    B1. 2x6xBW partial single-leg squats to the lat pulldown machine seat
    B2. 6x55, (6,5)x60 wide-grip lat pulldown (different machine; upstairs)
    --- gym closing, so just had time to do a set of prone cobras ---
    D1. 45+45sec prone cobra

08/24/2012 (Mon) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout A, 2 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point work, mobility & glute activation (2x20 clams, 2x20 glute bridges)

Workout

A. 6x22.5#, 2x6x20# one-armed DB snatch (tried increasing weight for the 1st set, but it was not pretty)

C2. 2x6x17.5, 6x15 DB incline bench press

Bodyweight matrix
    1st: 5:14
    2nd: 5:54

08/27/2012 (Mon) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout B, 2 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point, mobility & glute activation (2x20 clams, 2x20 glute bridges)

Workout
    D2. 5x20s, 2x5x15s elevated plank (feet on bench, up Xsec, rest Xsec, and repeat)

A. 3x6x50lbs barbell Romanian deadlift/bent-over row
    B1. 2x6xBW partial single-leg squats to lat pulldown machine seat
    B2. 3x6x"4.5" wide-grip lat pulldown
    C1. 6x(10, 15, 20) back extension
    C2. 3x6x3lbs YTWL
    D1. 3x(45+45sec) prone cobra

Interval training
    W-up: 1 min 3.5@0, 2 min 4.0@0
    Int1: 1 min 4.3@7
    Rec: 2 min 4@0
    Int2: 1 min 4.3@9
    Int3: 1 min 4.3@11
    Int4: 1 min 4.3@11
    Rec: 1 min 4@0, 1 min 3.5@0

Grip work
    - farmers' walk, 27.5#, ~20-30sec

08/29/2012 (Wed) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout A, 3 of 4

Workout

A. 6x22.5#, 2x6x20# one-armed DB snatch (1st set still very unpretty)

B2. 6x45lbs, 2x50lbs barbell bent-over row (1st one just barbell, next ones tiny plates)

C2. 3x6x17.5 DB incline bench press

Bodyweight matrix
    1st: 5:30
    2nd: 5:50

--> this felt like a weak day.

08/31/2012 (Fri) - NROL4W, stage 3, workout B, 3 of 4

Warm-up: trigger point, mobility & glute activation (2x20 clams, 2x20 glute bridges)

Workout
    D2. 5x20s, 2x5x15s elevated plank (feet on bench, up Xsec, rest Xsec, and repeat) (try doing 2 sets at 20sec next)

A. 3x6x55lbs barbell Romanian deadlift/bent-over row
    B1. 2x6xBW, 6x5lbs partial single-leg squats (first 2 sets to lat pulldown machine seat, last one to bench; realized bench was much higher than the seat)
    B2. 2x6x"4.5" wide-grip lat pulldown (up for 1st set here)
    C1. 6x(20, 25, 25) back extension
    C2. 3x6x3lbs YTWL
    D1. 3x(45+45sec) prone cobra

Interval training
    W-up: 1 min 4@0, 2 min 4.5@0
    Int1: 1 min 4.5@9
    Int2: 1 min 4.5@10
    Int3: 1 min 5@11
    Int4: 1 min 5@11
    Rec: 1 min 4@0, 1 min 3.5@0

Stretching

--> started feeling light-headed and weak during warm-up, so I decided to just drink some of my post-workout shake. I felt so energetic, optimistic and strong afterwards that I started wondering if I should start having a pre-workout snack. Nowadays I mostly work out in the afternoon, about 3 or 4 hours after breakfast. I can't stand having solid food in my stomach at the gym, but maybe something in liquid form would increase my gym performance, which has seemed to be frustratingly stalling, if not getting worse, until today. Today I actually felt stronger and like working out wasn't a big chore.

The bf forwarded me a fitocracy blog entry showing sb's progress. I went back and looked at other entries on the blog and they were so motivational that I joined . I got a kick out of leveling up by logging a few workouts, though logging can be a bit of a pain when they don't have your exercises in their database.

Still, it's been motivational so far and that's pretty neat. Even considering doing some of the challenges. The other use I'm finding for it is convincing my somewhat unmotivated boyfriend to go to the gym too. Me being at a higher level is probably bugging him in his gamer sensitivities.

Whatever motivates you most: go for it!
    That's how my brother tries to motivate me to use his tool to meditate: teasing me to get as good as he is in tranquilizing his heart rate.
    Ergo-log news site