Who will be Romney's pick for VP?

I have no particular insights, so I thought I'd try to crowd-source the question. Which of these do you think he'll pick? (This is different from your opinion on whom he should pick. Feel free to add that in comments.)

FWIW, I voted for Rubio. He needs Florida, and the other guys are from states he seems unlikely to win.

I went with "unexpected" since most politicians seem to use a form of logic that is foreign to me, and leaves me with almost no power of prediction.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    - Mignon McLaughlin

My New Log -- I Can't Get No Satisficing

I went with Rubio as well. Pawlenty has said he favors cuts in SS and Medicare. Portman would seem to have Bush Admin baggage that might be hard to shake. I just don't think Christie has all that much general appeal. Romney's goal at this point is that his pick not lose him the election.

A VP pick has to be pretty bad in order to do that. When's the last time your choice for President came down to that criteria?
    [font=Comic Sans MS:1h6kbch8]You who choose to lead must follow [/font:1h6kbch8]

Kevin's Record of Personal Punishment

Quote Originally Posted by "Lou Schuler":2vzvpn7o
    FWIW, I voted for Rubio. He needs Florida, and the other guys are from states he seems unlikely to win.
    I like Rubio and think he'd be a good choice, I also like Alan West.

Quote Originally Posted by "kevinatthebrook":15hnxwog
    I went with Rubio as well. Pawlenty has said he favors cuts in SS and Medicare. Portman would seem to have Bush Admin baggage that might be hard to shake. I just don't think Christie has all that much general appeal. Romney's goal at this point is that his pick not lose him the election.

A VP pick has to be pretty bad in order to do that. When's the last time your choice for President came down to that criteria?
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    - Mignon McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by "RedLefty":1ea40u6w
    My bad, I meant to remove that one from the qualifier. Biden really doesn't have a lot of fans does he.;p
    [font=Comic Sans MS:1h6kbch8]You who choose to lead must follow [/font:1h6kbch8]

Kevin's Record of Personal Punishment

Quote Originally Posted by "kevinatthebrook":34b6qram
    My bad, I meant to remove that one from the qualifier. Biden really doesn't have a lot of fans does he.;p
    Ha!

And I like the theory that you can forecast the VP pick by whose Wikipedia page is getting the most edits. In that case, the current best bet is Portman.

Which means it will actually be Snardley Rumplebrim, a landscaper from Omaha. Not a great debater but he strikes a great pose for the ribbon-cutting and shovel-holding at groundbreaking ceremonies.
    Megaloi -- My Blog
    - Mignon McLaughlin

In retrospect, maybe I should've included Bobby Jindal, the Louisiana governor.

I know he's been in the conversation, but I just see him as a ridiculous figure -- a brilliant man with 2 Ivy League undergrad degrees and a master's degree from Oxford (which he earned as a Rhodes Scholar) who now pretends he doesn't believe in evolution.

I don't know where voters draw the line on political pandering, but wherever that line is, Jindal crossed it long ago.

I went with "unexpected" although I don't think the choice of Paul Ryan is that.
    Dunning-Kruger - it's far more pervasive than we realize.

Quote Originally Posted by "OldGuy":3u0at68t
    I went with "unexpected" although I don't think the choice of Paul Ryan is that.
    Bob, that's another one I should've included. That would be a bold choice, but it would also be a very tough decision for Ryan. Would he be able to run for re-election for his House seat if he's also on the ballot as VP?

That would be a bold choice,
    It would show he means business. And would probably get rid of the mud slinging ads both sides have been showing lately.

And Ryan it is.

Good call, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by "OldGuy":3ifvnq5h
    We have a winner!

I think it's a great choice. A couple initial thoughts:

Romney endorsed the Ryan budget plan. Now he's got someone to articulate it.

If there were any Tea Party/Ron Paul types still waffling (though there really shouldn't be faced with the possibility of four more years of Obama) this choice should fire them up.

Wisconsin is a battleground state. It's gone Dem for a long time but I think the Walker election and subsequent re-election (and all that entailed), along with a couple other Republican/conservative stars (Reince Pribus and Ron Johnson), show the state could swing the other way this year.
    "Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, 'Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapeƱos.'"

-J.M. "Red" Spicer

The Ryan budget talk brings some substance to the floor rather than debating who was nicer to dogs or who needs to release more records.
    "Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, 'Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapeƱos.'"

-J.M. "Red" Spicer

A very "presidential" selection. The others didn't bring as much to the table as Ryan. And will bring a sharp contrast to the "tax one class and spend it" economic policy of the current administration.

The Ryan budget will be now more completely studied in the press and on the blogs. This may raise Obama's already rising numbers. Ryan will not 'crash and burn' as did Palin, but choosing him was somewhat of a 'hail mary pass'. Sorry for mixed metaphors.
    [URL="http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=23907]

Realclearpolitics.com shows Wisconsin as a toss-up state, with the latest polls giving Obama a lead of a point or two, obviously within the MOE.

I had thought it would be Rubio because Florida has 29 electoral votes, vs. 10 for Wisconsin. But if Romney's goal is to fight this as a contest of contrasting visions of the role of government in the lives of Americans, the Ryan pick makes sense.

But I'll just throw this out there:

Romney is inviting a contest based on privilege and plutocracy -- two issues he doesn't need voters to focus on, given the way his tax policies would work. Ryan, like Romney, comes from a privileged background:

Janesville, Wisconsin, where Ryan was born and still lives, is a riverfront city of sixty-four thousand people in the southeast corner of the state, between Madison and Chicago. Three families, the Ryans, the Fitzgeralds, and the Cullens, sometimes called the Irish Mafia, helped develop the town, especially in the postwar era. The Ryans were major road builders, and today Ryan, Inc., started in 1884 by Paul’s great-grandfather, is a national construction firm. The historic Courthouse section of Janesville is still thick with members of the Ryan clan. At last count, there were eight other Ryan households within a six-block radius of his house, a large Georgian Revival with six bedrooms and eight bathrooms that is on the National Register of Historic Places.
    So you have two rich guys saying, "Let's cut taxes for rich people, and turn programs like Medicare into a voucher system that will force everyone to depend on private insurance companies from cradle to grave, because we're the only ones who understand that's what's good for us is good for the country."

They're running against two guys who started life with no advantages whatsoever -- a biracial, single-parent kid from Hawaii and a blue-collar guy from Scranton, PA -- who want to make sure the social safety net remains in place.

Whose message is more likely to resonate with undecided voters?

Quote Originally Posted by "Lou Schuler":17mdb30b
    So you have two rich guys saying, "Let's cut taxes for rich people, and turn programs like Medicare into a voucher system that will force everyone to depend on private insurance companies from cradle to grave, because we're the only ones who understand that's what's good for us is good for the country."
    Versus "Let's tax the hell out of the rich and force everyone to depend on private insurance companies from cradle to grave, because I'm the only one who understands what's good for the country."

Should be interesting.

Ryan's trickle down Randian economic philsophy is ironic considering that as the New Yorker piece mentions aside from "working" as a marketing consultant for his family's construction firm for a short stint before running for office he has never held a full-time job. He's a professional politician with a distinct lack of private sector experience, not to mention foreign policy matters.

Should be interesting if the focus becomes drawn towards foreign policy during the run-up as that is quite a 180 from elections of the past few decades.
    "Athletes are always looking for some secret Soviet exercise or program, and this makes damage to them," he says. "The most important thing is for them to understand the vision of the global movement, of the dance. This is my philosophy." - World Record hammer thrower Yuriy Sedykh