Thread: Fitness Goals While Losing Weight

ReaderRaphy

Fitness Goals While Losing Weight

Hi.

I'll start with my question and then post some background.
    What should my resistance training goals be while losing weight?

I am currently 36 years old 6 ft & 220 lb on a big frame. Since July I have lots 80 lbs with a mixture of clean eating, cardio, and weight training. I eat about 2200 calories daily with an extra couple hundred on the days I lift. I alternate cardio days and lifting days, with one day a week off. For cardio I use the treadmill for about 20 minutes. I'm trying to train myself to run, so it ends up being more of a mix between a run and intervals. For the weights I have been following the beginners routine from the Men's Health Homegrown Muscle Workouts for about 6 weeks. Before that I did the Break In Workout and Fat Loss I from NROL.

Although I was never a regular lifter before, I have enjoyed the process and the feeling of strength it has given me. I was able to regularly "set records" for myself by pushing myself a little harder while working out. Recently, however things don't seem to be progressing and have been perhaps regressing. I haven't been able to up the amount I'm lifting for a few of weeks and am wondering if living in constant energy deficit is taking its toll. If this is normal and I should no longer expect strength gains while losing the next 35 lbs, what should my workout goals be?

Thank you so much.

Raphy

For me, when in fat loss mode, my main goal of resistance training is to maintain my current level of LBM.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

^ That. Maintain your muscle mass and strength. Anyone who claims strength loss while dieting is doing it wrong sorry to tell you.

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

If your volume is high, you can definitely lose 'strength' in those lifts, meaning that where you once could do 12 reps at x weight, now it's 10 or 8 reps. It all depends on volume over time, how much rest for recovery have have, etc.

I typically do fewer reps and focus on keeping strength. I typically do at least one day a week in the 5-8 rep range for each muscle group, and don't go crazy with the number of sets.

Movember is coming...

Get The Mustache Workout and support a cure for prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and men's mental health.

Roland Denzel @
    EatWellMoveWell.com

Author of Man on Top and The Real Food Reset

Stop by my training log The Madness of Roland

Quote Originally Posted by "ReaderRaphy":25w76t4l
    Hi.

I'll start with my question and then post some background.
    What should my resistance training goals be while losing weight?

I am currently 36 years old 6 ft & 220 lb on a big frame. Since July I have lots 80 lbs with a mixture of clean eating, cardio, and weight training. I eat about 2200 calories daily with an extra couple hundred on the days I lift. I alternate cardio days and lifting days, with one day a week off. For cardio I use the treadmill for about 20 minutes. I'm trying to train myself to run, so it ends up being more of a mix between a run and intervals. For the weights I have been following the beginners routine from the Men's Health Homegrown Muscle Workouts for about 6 weeks. Before that I did the Break In Workout and Fat Loss I from NROL.

Although I was never a regular lifter before, I have enjoyed the process and the feeling of strength it has given me. I was able to regularly "set records" for myself by pushing myself a little harder while working out. Recently, however things don't seem to be progressing and have been perhaps regressing. I haven't been able to up the amount I'm lifting for a few of weeks and am wondering if living in constant energy deficit is taking its toll. If this is normal and I should no longer expect strength gains while losing the next 35 lbs, what should my workout goals be?

Thank you so much.

Raphy
    Your goals should be to lift heavier weights or add more reps on weeks you can't add weight. If you reached a plateau, switch programs. I'd start with the basic training programs and go through all of them, then I'd go to the hypertrophy. About 5 yrs ago I lost from 194 lbs to 170 lbs in about a year eating 2,000 calories. I was never hungry and never exhausted. I lifted 2-3 times a week and walked about 20 minutes 2-3 times a week. I got stronger during that year. I followed a highly modified Body for Life program. I eat and still do close to a Zone diet, but am not fanatical. I've maintained that weight loss and am about the same strength. I'm about 1/3 of a mesomorph and 2/3 ectomorph so I don't have trouble losing weight. I have more trouble putting on muscle. You're young so you can put on quite a bit of muscle if you quit lifting assuming you are enough of an mesomorph to gain muscle. Endomorphs and ectomorphs have difficulty putting on muscle. Endomorphs generally have a weight problem.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel":3ubkoy3x
    If your volume is high, you can definitely lose 'strength' in those lifts, meaning that where you once could do 12 reps at x weight, now it's 10 or 8 reps. It all depends on volume over time, how much rest for recovery have have, etc.

I typically do fewer reps and focus on keeping strength. I typically do at least one day a week in the 5-8 rep range for each muscle group, and don't go crazy with the number of sets.
    Intesting take. I traditionally keep volume high during dieting down periods. Only times I notice lose of 'strength'(or really work capacity) is if i took a low carb approach. When I keep carbs moderate/high while dieting I am able to even increase volume and work capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by "TheSteve":1fbrm7fk
    Intesting take. I traditionally keep volume high during dieting down periods. Only times I notice lose of 'strength'(or really work capacity) is if i took a low carb approach. When I keep carbs moderate/high while dieting I am able to even increase volume and work capacity.
    Yeah. When I "diet down" I cut the calories to 500 per day. My bench usually increases by 200%, and I pull 5 times what I could if I was running a surplus or eating maintenance. Just like you, I keep the carbs moderate-to-high. Also, thanks to the carbs, I can complete an entire 5x5 program of squats, bench, and chinups in 5 minutes with weights 5% heavier than what I would normally use while consuming a caloric surplus.
    Scott

OK, I have never heard of anyone increasing their bench by 200% only eating 500 calories a day!
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

and how do you keep carbs "moderate to high" on 500 calories a day without eating anything else?
    "there was a sex scandal involving two long time members who disappeared after their accounts had to be banned when it was discovered that they were both married to the same person and were also doing each other"

[font=Impact:3i9srj2w]It was Becka, Mesha, and TS in the forum with the lead pipe.
    [/font:3i9srj2w]

Quote Originally Posted by "Genius":2vygmnaz
    Yeah. When I "diet down" I cut the calories to 500 per day. My bench usually increases by 200%, and I pull 5 times what I could if I was running a surplus or eating maintenance. Just like you, I keep the carbs moderate-to-high. Also, thanks to the carbs, I can complete an entire 5x5 program of squats, bench, and chinups in 5 minutes with weights 5% heavier than what I would normally use while consuming a caloric surplus.
    Are you trying to mock me or are you a super hero?

Quote Originally Posted by "ninja":2lthvvvw
    and how do you keep carbs "moderate to high" on 500 calories a day without eating anything else?
    exposure to gama rays.

ReaderRaphy

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel":132ffige

Does this mean that you don't worry about the total load of your lifts? Doesn't the reduced number of reps represent a decrease in strength or is it just decreased energy with the same strength potential?

Thanks again.

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

You can be just as strong at something like a 3 RM, but not be able to complete as many reps when they are higher in number or as many sets at the same strength levels.

I very rarely use the same program when I go on a diet, so I don't really do a direct comparison. In order to keep muscle, you have to stimulate it just enough, but don't need to add volume or get stronger.

I would say that a drop in reps from 12 down to 8 represents more decreased energy, where a drop in reps from 5 down to 3 or 3 down to 2 or 1 is more loss of strength.

On the flip side, some people try to still hit 12 reps, and have to drop the weight to do so. Is this a loss of strength? It's all semantics to a degree. Most of us (me included) probably aren't using the correct scientific terms, anyway.

Movember is coming...

Get The Mustache Workout and support a cure for prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and men's mental health.

Roland Denzel @
    EatWellMoveWell.com

Author of Man on Top and The Real Food Reset

Stop by my training log The Madness of Roland