Thread: To burn fat

To burn fat

What is diet should I maintain for loosing fat?

Re: To burn fat

you will probably get a different answer from everyone who responds, but for what it is worth, I am a recent convert to the school of CUT THE CARBS.

The logic is pretty easy to understand: carbs are energy. If you are eating energy, your body does not need to burn body fat for energy. If you eat too much energy, your body store it as fat.

Eat more protein and fibrous vegetables and your body will start burning fat for energy.

I'm not doctor with a degree, but this has been working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by "Vanessa Elizebeth" post=1002959
    I like the paleo or the zone diet. Atkins is too restrictive for me so are the paleo and the zone, I just approximate them. Follow Lou's advice, find a diet you can live with. Cut down on white floor and sugar. Eat all the fibrous vegetables you can stand. Start using whey protein. You get 20 grams of protein for 100 calories. Track your calories, see what your intake is and cut it down a bit. It's nearly impossible to lose weight unless you track calories. At least for me it is. I use fitday.com but there are other calorie trackers. My break down is about 50%carbs 30%fat 20% protein.
    Tony

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

Quote Originally Posted by "tony23" post=1003465
    I like the paleo or the zone diet. Atkins is too restrictive for me so are the paleo and the zone, I just approximate them. Follow Lou's advice, find a diet you can live with. Cut down on white floor and sugar. Eat all the fibrous vegetables you can stand. Start using whey protein. You get 20 grams of protein for 100 calories. Track your calories, see what your intake is and cut it down a bit. It's nearly impossible to lose weight unless you track calories. At least for me it is. I use fitday.com but there are other calorie trackers. My break down is about 50%carbs 30%fat 20% protein.
    Atkins and the paleo diet aren't the best diets to go on just to lose weight. You really have to believe a diet like this is better than just a diet for body composition or you'll likely move on or give up. Vegans and vegetarians stick to it for a long time because they believe it's either healthy or ethically correct, not because they were looking to get slim or perform.

Paleos (who stick to it) believe in the diet's healthfulness. Atkins and low carbers (who stick to it) believe in the diet's healthfulness.

If you think the diet is a strategy to get thin, it's just not enough.

If you believe in the diet's healthfulness, then you might still find it restrictive, but you understand the reasons behind it and are more likely to stick it out and/or keep the 'bad foods' to moderate levels.

It is similar to how smokers find non-smoking too restrictive.
    Roland Denzel @ EatWellMoveWell.com

Author of Man on Top and The Real Food Reset

Stop by my training log The Madness of Roland

Quote Originally Posted by "Roland Denzel" post=1003498
    Quote Originally Posted by "tony23" post=1003465
    Atkins and the paleo diet aren't the best diets to go on just to lose weight. You really have to believe a diet like this is better than just a diet for body composition or you'll likely move on or give up. Vegans and vegetarians stick to it for a long time because they believe it's either healthy or ethically correct, not because they were looking to get slim or perform.

Paleos (who stick to it) believe in the diet's healthfulness. Atkins and low carbers (who stick to it) believe in the diet's healthfulness.

If you think the diet is a strategy to get thin, it's just not enough.

If you believe in the diet's healthfulness, then you might still find it restrictive, but you understand the reasons behind it and are more likely to stick it out and/or keep the 'bad foods' to moderate levels.

It is similar to how smokers find non-smoking too restrictive.
    For someone who has no idea how to find a diet, either the Zone or Paleo are great to start with. Few people are going to stick with either one. But you don't have to. The person looking for a diet to lose weight is probably eating typical American slop and too much of it. So these diets or any diet would be an improvement. What I don't like about low carb diets is once you go on them you may never be able to eat a normal amount of carbs. Also, Schoenfeld in Max Muscle Plan believes that carbs are necessary if you want to train hard.
    Tony

Rancho Santa Margarita, California. A short walk t

Quote Originally Posted by "tony23" post=1003500
    For someone who has no idea how to find a diet, either the Zone or Paleo are great to start with. Few people are going to stick with either one. But you don't have to. The person looking for a diet to lose weight is probably eating typical American slop and too much of it. So these diets or any diet would be an improvement. What I don't like about low carb diets is once you go on them you may never be able to eat a normal amount of carbs. Also, Schoenfeld in Max Muscle Plan believes that carbs are necessary if you want to train hard.
    The Zone is a general purpose diet, and allows almost any foods, so there's not much of 'belief system' at play. Yes, he makes a case for health, but all the foods and macros are there in moderation.

I agree 100% of carbs being necessary for for high performance. The question is usually how high and what type of performance? Atkins works great for office workers who train with weights 2-3 times per week and walk a lot. If you're doing crossfit, not so much.

I hope you didn't read me wrong; I eat a paleo diet, at least at the 90% level. I just think people who look to lose weight and jump on paleo don't stick with it unless they also suddenly find they aren't 'sick' anymore, have more energy, find those foods tasty, and don't really miss the old foods more than that 10% slop. Those people believe, or have seen the light, OR they have simply found a diet that's easy to follow for them and comfortable for the long haul.
    Roland Denzel @ EatWellMoveWell.com

Author of Man on Top and The Real Food Reset

Stop by my training log The Madness of Roland

A diet conjures up images of something 'short-term' maybe a quick fix (or even just the latest craze). As others have said, think about "a way of eating" rather than going on a special diet. It must be something you can live with. Cutting out entire food groups (like Atkins or Dukan) is unlikley something that will be part of your life for very long - maybe just a quick fix. If that's all you require then fine. But I see far more lasting weight loss success with clients who instead focus on portion control and eating everything in moderation - whilst still consuming foods that they enjoy. Studies show that where most people go wrong is in basic portion sizes. We generally all eat way more than we burn and so we put on weight. Eating sensibly for life means not living with 'forbidden' foods - but eating sensibly and enjoying food. This plus regular exercise and you'll be more likley to stick to it for the long term, ensuring that you keep the weight off.

I've got to agree with everyone else. It's got to be something that you can live with and enjoy. I personally keep it simple. I do three things. 1) I count calories and have a daily calorie budget. 2) I count protein and shoot for a certain number of grams per day. 3) I try to make smart choices when I can. Besides these three things, I just try to keep it simple. And if I want to indulge in something sweet, I do it - as long as I'm within my calorie budget. I read an online interview with Lou S once and he said, "My entire diet is set up so I can enjoy some ice cream at the end of the day without risk of a calorie surplus. But it's not really junk food because it gives me pleasure, and my body uses the calories for energy." I can totally identify with that. In fact, my son's birthday party is in a few days, and you'd better believe that I'm going to enjoy some cake and ice cream (but I'll make some adjustments in calories elsewhere so that I can).

Quote Originally Posted by "jadenmiller" post=1006389
    Eat 4-5 smaller meals daily instead of 3 big meals.Consume more of fresh vegetables and fruits and avoid packaged food.
    Why?

To the original question, a diet in which you eat less. High fat, high protein foods would be your best choices to build meals around. The rest really is willpower.

To burn fat

Keep it simple.

Caloric deficit, high protein, essential fats, then work from there depending on personal preference. There's no absolute need to cut carbs or take any extreme measures. Experiment and find the approach that fits with your preference and gives you results, and stick to it.
    My fitness and nutrition blog: http://jjstrength.com

To burn fat

Personally I'm a huge fan of the lesser-known "warrior diet". I believe it's very effective yet at the same time quite unrestrictive.
    But, really there are a number of factors. What is your schedule like? What fits best into your lifestyle? What is your activity level? Do you work out? If so are you more into brief intense workouts or more endurance workouts? All of these can play a significant role in what might be best for you.
    As a rule of thumb however, if you're trying to lose weight, lowering carb consumption can certainly be a big help. Just make sure that if you're doing intense exercise (which I would recommend) that you are consuming enough carbs to have sufficient energy to work out hard.