Thread: HBO Movies: Behind the Candelabra and The Girl

HBO Movies: Behind the Candelabra and The Girl

I used this holiday weekend to catch a couple HBO movies, both very good!

Behind the Candelabra debuted on HBO this weekend -- a movie about Liberace (Michael Douglas) and his young lover (Matt Damon). Very good!

I've had The Girl on my list for a while now. This is about Alfred Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren. Fascinating!
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

Re: HBO Movies: Behind the Candelabra and The Girl

We watched it last night! Kimberly and I both thought it was terrific. One observation: If this had been a male-female relationship, I don't think it would've been watchable. The male-male dynamics, especially with major stars, made it interesting.

We had a mini-Steven Soderbergh film festival the past few nights: Magic Mike, Side Effects, and Behind the Candelabra.

Magic Mike was just okay -- probably way better than it would've been with another director.

But Side Effects ...holy shit was that good! I don't want to say anything about the plot because it caught me by surprise so many times. Right up to the end I couldn't guess what was coming.

If you see it, do yourself a favor and don't read anything. Don't even look at reviews. If you trust trust my judgment, just rent it and watch it.

I think if Candelabra WOULD have been picked up for the big screen, there would be Oscar buzz for the actors. It really was good.

I'll check out Side Effects and trust you. I also watched (on and off) Magic Mike and wasn't impressed. Maybe I need to really sit down and pay attention instead of multi-tasking.

I think you'd like The Girl, too.
    Jane

"Knowing that you would have wanted it this way, I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" Chicago

I too watched Candelabra over the weekend. I thought it was pretty well done.
    Approach with caution - I'm keto-adapting

WARNING: Written in minutes and fact-checked in seconds via Google. May contain unsafe levels of self-righteousness. Past cleverness is no guarantee of future results.

Training Log

"Please! One piece of pie won't make the difference and there's plenty of time to catch up! Each individual piece of pie is totally worth it."

To me, the biggest surprise about Candelabra was how freakin' gay Liberace was, and how his audience didn't even notice. I wonder how many of those people (the ones who were still alive in the 2000s) voted for anti-gay-marriage state laws without stopping to think how many gay entertainers they'd supported over the years. Truman Capote was a regular on the Tonight Show, and Paul Lynde was on a game or a talk show every week, it seemed, if not every day.

The other thing is the cheese. It's so bizarre to step back in time and look at what people paid good money to see back then. My parents used to love Wayne Newton (who AFAIK is hetero), who was right up there with Liberace in the cheese department. And the references to Charo and Jim Nabors brought back memories, too.

Lou, I saw Side Effects last night. Great movie!!

I did see/guess some of what was coming, but really good!!
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by "missjane" post=1004937
    Lou, I saw Side Effects last night. Great movie!!

I did see/guess some of what was coming, but really good!!
    I wonder if I blew it by mentioning how many twists it has? Going in, I didn't even know it was a thriller. Kimberly had read some reviews, which is why she wanted to see it as soon as we could. But everything that happened was a surprise to me.

I don't know if that made me think any differently or not.

[spoiler]I wondered about the seat belt. And, when Catherine Zeta Jones was "looking" for that drug and popped up with the pen, I knew something was fishy. Just little things had me thinking. But, the whole stock manipulation thing I hadn't even thought about. It really was a good movie, and one I'll probably watch again with someone else to see their reaction. Do you know if this movie was based on a book?[/spoiler]
    Jane

According to Wikipedia, it was a screenplay by Scott Z. Burns, originally titled Bitter Pill.

Burns also wrote The Informant!, which as I recall was pretty funny, as well as Contagion, both of which were directed by Soderbergh.