Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82

Thread: Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

  1. #21
    secondhandloser
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "Willie":2kb27v9w
    Uh... I do this as well-- the "hitting legs regularly because of 'crew'" and I still lift legs at least twice per week. You'll increase your power for starts and decrease your risk of hamstring / quad imbalances.

    Endurance - type lifting will prove real handy in the last 500m of a race.

    (and, for the record, 'crew' refers to the people in the boat... the sport is 'rowing')

    I assume you row in college, given your dorm room-esque photos. A club sport, I assume, so you'll have no access to the university's trainers. Your coach may or may not have any experience wrt weight lifting, as most club coaches do not, in my experience. Either way, if you're still rowing-- hitting your legs-- you're about to be in the middle of your spring season, presumably with your first race right around the corner.

    I would think that your coach should know about your lifting. Have you told him? As a coach, I insist on knowing the "extracurricular activities" of my athletes (not necessarily to make them stop, but to revise their individual training programs). Furthermore, the split that you posted above is not very rowing-friendly. You might want to check out Rowersworld.com and even Concept II's website for some lifting advice (not all of which is good, but imo, is better than what you're currently doing).

    Good luck.
    I row D1. My training with the team is really sufficient for the goals I have for myself.

  2. #22

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "secondhandloser":30ospulv
    I row D1. My training with the team is really sufficient for the goals I have for myself.
    So your coach knows about your lifting? What about the strength and conditioning staff?

    Clearly you're working hard and getting good results; I don't mean to diminish that. But your responsibility is to your team first, in my opinion (having rowed and coached DI for years).

  3. #23
    bandit40
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    How old are you? You look young. I hope your smart enough not to use steriods right off the bat. After 6 weeks of lifting your not going to make that much progress naturally.

  4. #24

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Bandit, secondhand said that the first pic was from last summer so there is more like 8 months between pics. I think that sort of improvement is doable over that time frame, especially for a new lifter/young guy. However, I echo your concern about steroids.

  5. #25

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "K-Court":j74s80jp
    Bandit, secondhand said that the first pic was from last summer so there is more like 8 months between pics. I think that sort of improvement is doable over that time frame, especially for a new lifter/young guy. However, I echo your concern about steroids.
    I still don't understand this, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but if he's rowing for a DI program, there's no way in hell that his coach would allow him to lift on his own program, outside of practice. And, he's got to be rowing 6 days a week, for at least 2 hours a day (again-- DI program? He would for sure be doing 2-a-days at least 3x/week). Most male rowers lose weight in the spring season because the workouts are so frequent / intense.

    I don't get it, and "third" the steroids question.

  6. #26
    JTM
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    I too have concerns about the time frame.

    That aside, great progress none the less. Keep up the good work.

  7. #27
    secondhandloser
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "Willie":37kb46a9
    I still don't understand this, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but if he's rowing for a DI program, there's no way in hell that his coach would allow him to lift on his own program, outside of practice. And, he's got to be rowing 6 days a week, for at least 2 hours a day (again-- DI program? He would for sure be doing 2-a-days at least 3x/week). Most male rowers lose weight in the spring season because the workouts are so frequent / intense.

    I don't get it, and "third" the steroids question.
    NCAA limits practice time. My coach encourages us lifting outside, as long as we still perform to the max at practice.

  8. #28

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "secondhandloser":oxl6wk2d
    NCAA limits practice time. My coach encourages us lifting outside, as long as we still perform to the max at practice.
    Mens rowing isn't an NCAA sport. And DI teams can practice 20 hours a week, in season. You aren't rowing 20 hours a week.

  9. #29
    bandit40
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    If those pictures are 8 months apart then his progress is possible. 6 weeks I just dont know about.

  10. #30
    secondhandloser
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "Willie":3m0d6hb7
    Mens rowing isn't an NCAA sport. And DI teams can practice 20 hours a week, in season. You aren't rowing 20 hours a week.
    Seriously? I mean, dude, I'm trying to be nice amongst all your attempts to call BS on my progress, but,
    Rowing Home - NCAA.com
    It's freakin' NCAA. And technically, the season just started, 15 hour per week practice limit out-of-season.

  11. #31

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "secondhandloser":2unfja9r
    Seriously? I mean, dude, I'm trying to be nice amongst all your attempts to call BS on my progress, but,
    Rowing Home - NCAA.com
    It's freakin' NCAA. And technically, the season just started, 15 hour per week practice limit out-of-season.
    Not calling BS on your progress at all, seriously. You look great; you really do.

    Men's rowing has the IRA, which is not sponsored by the NCAA (look at that web site; they are all women. Many men's coaches are trying to get an NCAA sponsorship, but unless something has changed in the last month or so, and I haven't been paying attention, Gladstone et. al. have not been entirely successful). Women's rowing has the NCAA championships. Women's rowing (outside of the Ivies) largely exists because of football / Title IX. If men's rowing is considered a varsity sport (which would then mean that you have to work according to NCAA rules because of your athletics department, not because of the NCAA) at your school, you're lucky-- those programs are few and far between, and slowly disappearing. But, I am still surprised that as a varsity sport, you don't have access to a strength and conditioning coach like your competitors do. And if you DID have access to one, you'd not be on a bulking program at this point in the year (or, for that matter, in the fall. And in the winter, you'd presumably be erging so much that you'd be hard pressed to put on that much mass. You must eat a LOT!).

    I'm not really intending to argue with you, as much as I'm surprised that you are allowed to lift like that and still row for a DI, varsity program. Again, I think you've made fabulous progress; I'm surprised that you are able to do that well, independently, while still rowing at the DI level.

    There are a lot of DI programs-- like, Boston College-- that are CLUBs, but operate as a DI program and race at the IRA (BC women would race at NCAA if they were invited). Hell, I rowed DI in college for a club that achieved varsity status the year after I graduated (big lawsuit was threatened during my four years there as the school was not in compliance with Title IX), and I say that I "rowed DI" because most people either don't care or don't know the difference. Since then, I've coached DI for years, and repped boats all over the country, so I'm a little more anal about the distinction, because on the competitive level the distinction is HUGE.

    Wanna tell me where you row?

  12. #32
    Simon C
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Hey, this guy looks like Matthew, hehehe

  13. #33
    Alcoholiday
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    i'm still waiting for teh shoe power!111

  14. #34
    Simon C
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    If I had a camera I would take a shoe picture hehe, I've got some black and wite chucks ready for it too. Then I can finally find out my TRUE bodyfat... HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

  15. #35
    Karen P
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Looking good!

  16. #36

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    My guess, 11%
    My opinion: freaking amazing body. Looking fantastic and no need to try for any more fat loss. If I were a guy I'd kill for that physique, and as a woman, can say that it's an attractive one.

  17. #37
    Alcoholiday
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    Quote Originally Posted by "ljk":35su66gs
    My guess, 11%
    My opinion: freaking amazing body. Looking fantastic and no need to try for any more fat loss. If I were a guy I'd kill for that physique, and as a woman, can say that it's an attractive one.


  18. #38
    Simon C
    Guest

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%


  19. #39

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%


  20. #40

    Six weeks into lifting/estimate my BF%

    sorry, I happen to think he looks good. What is the problem?! In the darkened-room shot, he's got visible abs -- that's a sign of near or about 10, right? He's also got a lot of arm veins...and fairly developed upper body all over. All those things add up to "good physique" in my books.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •