Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 264

Thread: Dos' Power Training

  1. #41

    Dos' Power Training

    ^^That is exactly what I am doing now. Workout A is DL, Workout B is SL RDL. For the previous phase, it was back squat for A and SL Good morning for B. I hated leaving the back squat behind but happy to be back on DLs.

    BTW, RDL is listed as a bilateral hip-dominant.

  2. #42

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "rootzdawta":qelfyfhw

    BTW, RDL is listed as a bilateral hip-dominant.
    Ahhh, I meant to say the SLRDL (which is what I'm doing) is listed as the unilateral hip-dominant. Sorry about that.

  3. #43

    Dos' Power Training

    Okay the more I read, the more confused I get.

    I want to use the push-pull routine and can go to the gym 3 days a week. The book says you can train for hypertrophy, strength or fitness. Say I want to use a 3 day push-pull to train for strength....where exactly is the routine? There aren't cards for this option, only for a 4 day push-pull for strength. But even then the cards just look like they are asking for just 5 exercises:
    -explosive
    -hip/knee dominant (does this mean either/or??)
    -horizontal push/pull (which one is it the push or pull?? Uni or bi??)
    -vertical push/pull (ditto in brackets above)
    -rotational

    Also, there is a sample 4 day push-pull routine on pg 196-197 for weeks 4-6. The choices of excercise seem to change every workout. Every A1 workout uses different excercies. I thought it was best to use the same ones for every A1, then the same for every B1, etc for 3 weeks before changing them. Why does the example change up the moves every time?

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    877

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":15uzjwwn
    Okay the more I read, the more confused I get.

    I want to use the push-pull routine and can go to the gym 3 days a week. The book says you can train for hypertrophy, strength or fitness. Say I want to use a 3 day push-pull to train for strength....where exactly is the routine? There aren't cards for this option, only for a 4 day push-pull for strength. But even then the cards just look like they are asking for just 5 exercises:
    -explosive
    -hip/knee dominant (does this mean either/or??)
    -horizontal push/pull (which one is it the push or pull?? Uni or bi??)
    -vertical push/pull (ditto in brackets above)
    -rotational

    Also, there is a sample 4 day push-pull routine on pg 196-197 for weeks 4-6. The choices of excercise seem to change every workout. Every A1 workout uses different excercies. I thought it was best to use the same ones for every A1, then the same for every B1, etc for 3 weeks before changing them. Why does the example change up the moves every time?
    The exercises for each session for the push pull is spelled out in chapter 6 understanding the power training workouts. In my book the push pull template is on page 28. The workout cards in the appendix abbreviate the exercises but do spell out the reps for each program. Nowhere is everything all in one place you end up flipping back and forth a bit to figure out the program. I'm using Harlan's cards to record my workouts he's done a very nice job of listing the complete movement and rep ranges for each session.

    Coach does not give cards for every configuration such as doing the push pull 3 days a week instead of 4. He shows how to schedule that later in chapter 6 also. In my book that's on page 33. It would take you 4 weeks to complete each 3 week segment as you would still be doing the same number of workouts. I would just use the same cards to record the workouts. That's what I did when I was slowed down by the power outage. Maybe it would help to think of the sessions as blocks of 12 workouts rather than weeks.

    I don't know why Coach's examples change exercises so frequently. That does not suit my goals so I will be keeping mine the same for now.

  5. #45

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":3juahek2
    Okay the more I read, the more confused I get.

    I want to use the push-pull routine and can go to the gym 3 days a week. The book says you can train for hypertrophy, strength or fitness. Say I want to use a 3 day push-pull to train for strength....where exactly is the routine? There aren't cards for this option, only for a 4 day push-pull for strength. But even then the cards just look like they are asking for just 5 exercises:
    -explosive
    -hip/knee dominant (does this mean either/or??)
    -horizontal push/pull (which one is it the push or pull?? Uni or bi??)
    -vertical push/pull (ditto in brackets above)
    -rotational
    If you look at the templates on page 28, it's all spelled out for you. If you want to use a push/pull for strength for 3 days a week, your session would look something like this:
    A1 (Monday):
    [ul]
    [li]Explosive[/li]
    [li]Knee Dominant (bi)[/li]
    [li]Hor. Push (uni)[/li]
    [li]Vertical Push (bi)[/li]
    [li]Rotational[/li]
    [li]Bridging[/li][/ul]

    B1 (Wednesday):
    [ul]
    [li]Explosive[/li]
    [li]Hip Dominant (uni)[/li]
    [li]Hor. Pull (bi)[/li]
    [li]Vertical Pull (uni)[/li]
    [li]Rotational[/li]
    [li]Bridging[/li][/ul]

    A2 (Friday):
    [ul]
    [li]Explosive[/li]
    [li]Knee Dominant (uni)[/li]
    [li]Hor. Push (bi)[/li]
    [li]Vertical Push (uni)[/li]
    [li]Rotational[/li]
    [li]Bridging[/li][/ul]

    B2 (Monday):
    [ul]
    [li]Exploisve[/li]
    [li]Hip Dominant (bi)[/li]
    [li]Horizontal Pull (uni)[/li]
    [li]Vertical Pull (bi)[/li]
    [li]Rotational[/li]
    [li]Bridging[/li][/ul]

    Then you would repeat the sequence. As dianas said, you would finish up in four weeks instead of 3. If you are training for strength, then your set rep scheme for weeks 1-3 would be 4 x 5 on the explosive exercises and then a 4 x 6 on the push/ pull (which includes the hip dominant and knee dominant). Your rotational would be a 4 x 10 and the bridging is for 30-45 seconds. Does that make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":3juahek2
    Also, there is a sample 4 day push-pull routine on pg 196-197 for weeks 4-6. The choices of excercise seem to change every workout. Every A1 workout uses different excercies. I thought it was best to use the same ones for every A1, then the same for every B1, etc for 3 weeks before changing them. Why does the example change up the moves every time?
    Here's where I think a lot of people are confused. THE EXERCISES DON'T MATTER. The movements are more important than the actual exercises. Your body doesn't differentiate too much between a shoulder press and a push press. It just knows that you are doing a pushing movement. The two key principles with this (and almost every other program) are the volumes and the loads, which really go hand in hand. So if you are on a strength program, your loads are going to be much higher but your volume is going to be low. All that really matters is the volume and the load that you are moving during each session. That and the progressive overload principle. If you are giving it your all each and every session, leaving nothing "in the tank", then you are doing the program right. The rest is just details.

    I hope this clears some things up.

  6. #46

    Dos' Power Training

    ^^Okay, that helps me understand a bit more. Thank you

    I did see the examples on page 28 but then I saw the 4 day workout cards or the 4 day push-pull example and I got confused. I guess if I compared the excercise for each day back to the excericse menu, I'd see that it fits that formula above.

    And just to clarify, for strength, no matter how many days I choose, or whether I do a push-pull or full body workout am I ALWAYS using 4x5 for explosive and 4x6 for push-pull? I'm coming off NROL-Hyper I where I was always changing the rep/set scheme so it'll be nice to just use one rep/set scheme and not have to remember which rep/set scheme day I'm on.

  7. #47

    Dos' Power Training

    No, for strength, it is as follows:

    Weeks 1-3: explosive 4x5 and then push/pull 4x6
    Weeks 4-6: explosive 4x3 and then push/pull 1x6, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2
    Weeks 7-9: explosive 4x5 and then push/pull 4x5
    Weeks 10-12: explosive 4x3 and then push/pull 1x5, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1

  8. #48

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":3hgy9n0a
    ^^Okay, that helps me understand a bit more. Thank you

    I did see the examples on page 28 but then I saw the 4 day workout cards or the 4 day push-pull example and I got confused. I guess if I compared the excercise for each day back to the excericse menu, I'd see that it fits that formula above.

    And just to clarify, for strength, no matter how many days I choose, or whether I do a push-pull or full body workout am I ALWAYS using 4x5 for explosive and 4x6 for push-pull? I'm coming off NROL-Hyper I where I was always changing the rep/set scheme so it'll be nice to just use one rep/set scheme and not have to remember which rep/set scheme day I'm on.
    You are quite welcome.
    If you would like, I can send the workout cards that I made. Just PM me your email and I will send them to you.

  9. #49

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":3blxk3iv
    No, for strength, it is as follows:

    Weeks 1-3: explosive 4x5 and then push/pull 4x6
    Weeks 4-6: explosive 4x3 and then push/pull 1x6, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2
    Weeks 7-9: explosive 4x5 and then push/pull 4x5
    Weeks 10-12: explosive 4x3 and then push/pull 1x5, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1
    Okay, thanks. Can you share a page number so I can see where I went wrong?

  10. #50

    Dos' Power Training

    Sorry, I don't have the book in front of me. I use Dos' spreadsheets with the dropdowns and I just pulled it up to get the sets/reps for you. Since I've done Strength before I knew that what you had stated was incorrect, so just grabbed my spreadsheet program.

  11. #51

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "hmsiegel":1uy6x6g5

    If you are training for strength, then your set rep scheme for weeks 1-3 would be 4 x 5 on the explosive exercises and then a 4 x 6 on the push/ pull (which includes the hip dominant and knee dominant). Your rotational would be a 4 x 10 and the bridging is for 30-45 seconds. Does that make sense?
    I was basing what I wrote above on this. But now I see that he only indicated that sequence for weeks 1-3.

    Now, in terms of Dos' example where he changes the excercise (but stays in the same category) with each certain day (ie A1, B1, A2, B2)...what's your opinion on that? I didn't read through all the responses before I started to compose ths one reply but IIRC you like to stick with the same excercises for 12 weeks?

    It seems to me that if I have an A1, A2, B1 and B2 day that all use different excercises that that'll be enough variation. I"ll already have 4 days worth of different excercise combos. So even though I do onloy 3 workouts per week, I'm doing 4 different workouts before I'm back to the first one. Correct?

  12. #52

    Dos' Power Training

    Correct.

  13. #53

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "missjane":18qv0qcu
    Correct.
    Yay, I see the light!!!

    Now to sit down and draft up a workout

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    877

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "amz155":1ql1gpw4
    Okay, thanks. Can you share a page number so I can see where I went wrong?
    Pg 28 for movements for each session ie A1, B1, A2, B2
    Pg 310-317 spell out the rep ranges for each 12 workout block for the strength push pull.

    Take Harlan up on his offer of the workout cards. He has this all info integrated together with each workout on a separate page. Seeing it laid this way in a different manner may help you understand it all better. The only problem i've had with them is that on my Mac the editable box that you can type in the exercises doesn't work. No biggie I just hand write the exercise.

    It is confusing. I'm not very impressed with Coach's editor that's for sure.

    I also think it'll make sense as you go along.

  15. #55

    Dos' Power Training

    I actually didn't find it confusing at all. And I've just been using the cards as are in the book (just making photocopies). What was most annoying was flipping back and forth but then I also made copies of some key pages that I kept flipping back to and that took care of that. I don't know . . . it made sense to me and I was completely befuddled by the layout of NROL4W. (((shrug)))

  16. #56

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "dianas":7w1r28w5
    Pg 28 for movements for each session ie A1, B1, A2, B2
    Pg 310-317 spell out the rep ranges for each 12 workout block for the strength push pull.

    Take Harlan up on his offer of the workout cards. He has this all info integrated together with each workout on a separate page. Seeing it laid this way in a different manner may help you understand it all better. The only problem i've had with them is that on my Mac the editable box that you can type in the exercises doesn't work. No biggie I just hand write the exercise.

    It is confusing. I'm not very impressed with Coach's editor that's for sure.

    I also think it'll make sense as you go along.
    It's not just you diana. I realized that I copied one editable box to all of them, so anything you type will be duplicated throughout. I'm working on fixing the problem. I will send them your way again when I have it finished.

    You should read Cardio Strength Training if you want to see a book that was edited very poorly. It's a great book with lots of info, but waaaay too many typos and mistakes.

  17. #57

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "dianas":imhdad5u
    Pg 28 for movements for each session ie A1, B1, A2, B2
    Pg 310-317 spell out the rep ranges for each 12 workout block for the strength push pull.

    Take Harlan up on his offer of the workout cards. He has this all info integrated together with each workout on a separate page. Seeing it laid this way in a different manner may help you understand it all better. The only problem i've had with them is that on my Mac the editable box that you can type in the exercises doesn't work. No biggie I just hand write the exercise.

    It is confusing. I'm not very impressed with Coach's editor that's for sure.

    I also think it'll make sense as you go along.
    I PMed him

    Quote Originally Posted by "rootzdawta":imhdad5u
    I actually didn't find it confusing at all. And I've just been using the cards as are in the book (just making photocopies). What was most annoying was flipping back and forth but then I also made copies of some key pages that I kept flipping back to and that took care of that. I don't know . . . it made sense to me and I was completely befuddled by the layout of NROL4W. (((shrug)))
    What confused me was that the cards seemed only laid out for doing the workouts a specific way ie 4 day push pull for strength and I want to do a three day so I wasn't sure if that's advised since there are no cards for it. Also for the example that uses the actual exercises (not the blank cards), it also uses a 4 day routine.

    Quote Originally Posted by "hmsiegel":imhdad5u
    It's not just you diana. I realized that I copied one editable box to all of them, so anything you type will be duplicated throughout. I'm working on fixing the problem. I will send them your way again when I have it finished.

    You should read Cardio Strength Training if you want to see a book that was edited very poorly. It's a great book with lots of info, but waaaay too many typos and mistakes.
    I PMed you earlier

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    877

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "hmsiegel":1qyrhc1d
    It's not just you diana. I realized that I copied one editable box to all of them, so anything you type will be duplicated throughout. I'm working on fixing the problem. I will send them your way again when I have it finished.

    You should read Cardio Strength Training if you want to see a book that was edited very poorly. It's a great book with lots of info, but waaaay too many typos and mistakes.
    That's what happened all right. Every box would change to the same exercise. I had just assumed it was a PC to MAC thing though. There's no hurry I don't mind writing them in. Thanks.

    I'd heard there were a lot of errors in CST so haven't picked it up yet. I was thinking about ordering it here soon though. My husband will be having surgery in less than 3 weeks now and if all goes well he'll be in the hospital for a week. I decided to take 2 weeks off work so I can be more available for appointments and things. Plus being a nurse myself I know what the nursing shortage does to staffing so I want to be there. But there will be a lot of down time so some reading material would be a good thing. Too bad it's not available on kindle. I keep checking.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    877

    Dos' Power Training

    Quote Originally Posted by "rootzdawta":3a0as4oh
    I actually didn't find it confusing at all. And I've just been using the cards as are in the book (just making photocopies). What was most annoying was flipping back and forth but then I also made copies of some key pages that I kept flipping back to and that took care of that. I don't know . . . it made sense to me and I was completely befuddled by the layout of NROL4W. (((shrug)))
    I understood the workouts what was frustrating to me was how he organized the info in the book. I ended up doing like you did except I wrote it out.

  20. #60
    Senior Member LisaS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Orange Cty, CA
    Posts
    12,520

    Dos' Power Training

    Has anyone seen the Kindle version of Power Training? If so - how does it come across?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •